2012-2013 Baylor College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you feel would be helpful in evaluating you, including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, prevailing over adversity. You may expand upon but not repeat AMCAS application information. 2000 character limit.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
He's trying to scare away other applicants so he has less competition when he actually applies. :laugh:

Ya, Baylor sucks!

Not really, tied with southwestern for my #1 choice atm! Hoping I atleast get an interview because I LOVE the part of Houston it is in. Good luck to everyone, maybe we'll be future classmates :xf:

I'll be applying this cycle too! hoping some of you might be future classmates:)!
Kinda a small group so far....maybe everyone is still studying for MCAT's!? I'm taking mine July 21.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any Aggies here? I'm a former student applying, and I need some info on what to input on AMCAS for the committee letter packet thing so I can get the letter of evaluation request form. OPSA said they could mail me the instructions, but that wouldn't work for me.

Just shoot me a private message or something. Thanks.

Edit: nevermind, I got it

Last edited:
I'll be applying this cycle too! hoping some of you might be future classmates:)!
Kinda a small group so far....maybe everyone is still studying for MCAT's!? I'm taking mine July 21.

I'm taking mine July 27th! I'm a reapplicant from Texas, didn't apply here last year or do AMCAS at all. I'm very excited and nervous! Hope I can get MCAT up and truly contend this year.

I am also studying for the MCAT, taking mines July 27th! Really hoping for some good luck at this school! Baylor is my dream!

Does anybody know Baylor's financial policy for international medical school applicants? I have heard at places like Hopkins and Stanford one has to deposit all the costs of medical school in an escrow before your acceptance (like $200,000 if not more). Frankly, that is a lot of money for someone coming from a third-world country like me (I'm Colombian).

I'm applying, but I hope/pray my MCAT is competitive enough to get an interview at the least. I'm an OOS.

Same here. I'm OOS but Baylor is my dream school

When does Baylor release its secondary application?

When does Baylor release its secondary application?

I think it's when they receive your primary app, because they send out secondary app to all applicants. And the first day you can submit your secondary is July 1st

does anyone know the secondary topic yet? or the one from last year? I can't find it anywhere.

does anyone know the secondary topic yet? or the one from last year? I can't find it anywhere.

last year:

Indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you feel would be helpful in evaluating you, including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, prevailing over adversity. You may expand upon but not repeat AMCAS application information. 2000 character limit.

last year:

thanks! do you know if it changes much from year to year?

this year (same):

this year (same):

thanks for the post! I love that it's only one essay

1: Do you really need your SAT score. I could probably dig it up, but it would be a huge pain. Easier to put N/A

2: For the expenses tab, are they referring to your employment or your parents? My parents paid for my entire education thus far so idk if I should put 100% for "employment" or "loan/other" (other being what I'm referring too)

3: For the main essay, are you viewing it as more of a sell yourself essay or more of a why baylor essay? Or a combination of both? I've written it and just realized I didn't mention Baylor once. May have to rework that one haha

Last edited:
1: Do you really need your SAT score. I could probably dig it up, but it would be a huge pain. Easier to put N/A

2: For the expenses tab, are they referring to your employment or your parents? My parents paid for my entire education thus far so idk if I should put 100% for "employment" or "loan/other" (other being what I'm referring too)

3: For the main essay, are you viewing it as more of a sell yourself essay or more of a why baylor essay? Or a combination of both? I've written it and just realized I didn't mention Baylor once. May have to rework that one haha

They're going to read a thousand boring "why baylor" essays when really baylor already knows they are the shiz...I would just sell yourself with one of your unique EC's...give them something good to read, I'm sure processing 3000 secondaries gets old when they all say the same thing.

good luck to everyone applying this yr! if you have any questions, feel free to post away. BCM is well represented in each class on here so you will get a variety of good responses from students at different points in his/her medical education.

oh, and btw, this place seriously ROCKS! :love:

Only 50% off for FAP applicants??

Why no love Baylor!

Did anyone actually receive a secondary invite or did you just start filling it out on their website?

Did anyone actually receive a secondary invite or did you just start filling it out on their website?

I received this in an email:

"Baylor College of Medicine (BCM) located in the heart of the Texas Medical Center, Houston, Texas, appreciates your interest and hopes you will take a minute to visit our web site at http://www.bcm.edu/medschool/ to learn more about us.
We are in receipt of your verified AMCAS application, and if you have not already completed the BCM supplemental application you will find it located at http://www.bcm.edu/admissions/supplemental... etc etc"

I received this in an email:

"Baylor College of Medicine (BCM) located in the heart of the Texas Medical Center, Houston, Texas, appreciates your interest and hopes you will take a minute to visit our web site at http://www.bcm.edu/medschool/ to learn more about us.
We are in receipt of your verified AMCAS application, and if you have not already completed the BCM supplemental application you will find it located at http://www.bcm.edu/admissions/supplemental... etc etc"

I also received this email.

They don't send out invites, you just have to fill it out to be 'complete'.

Edit: Oh. looks like the previously quoted email answered your question! Whoops.

Sorry for another noob question, but how many letters did you guys send if your school does not use a committee letter?

They website says, "If there is no health professions advisor, advisory committee, or office of advising premedical students at your school, evaluations from three individuals who are qualified to evaluate you personally and academically will be considered. A minimum of three letters are required."

I'm not sure if that means they will only consider three even if we send more or if they will consider more than three as a minimum of three are required.

Edit: Last years thread did not really address this

Sorry for another noob question, but how many letters did you guys send if your school does not use a committee letter?

They website says, "If there is no health professions advisor, advisory committee, or office of advising premedical students at your school, evaluations from three individuals who are qualified to evaluate you personally and academically will be considered. A minimum of three letters are required."

I'm not sure if that means they will only consider three even if we send more or if they will consider more than three as a minimum of three are required.

No, it's definitely a fair question. I've run into very similar language at two other schools ("min of three letters"). I emailed about it and both actually said they accept a max of ten, so more than three is certainly acceptable (e.g., from EC directors or MD's shadowed). I'd still email though, jut to be sure.

re:

response:
BCM is not alone among top medical schools in asking also for your SAT scores. Example: someone might make a VR 11 (90%+) on the MCAT, but made a 780 on the SAT Verbal.

The SAT can validate a highly verbal person, also important in medicine (e.g., teaching, writing, communicating with patients and colleagues, public speaking, critical reading).

Last edited:
re:

response:
BCM is not alone among top medical schools in asking also for your SAT scores. Example: someone might make a VR 11 (90%+) on the MCAT, but made a 780 on the SAT Verbal.

The SAT can validate a highly verbal person, also important in medicine (e.g., teaching, writing, communicating with patients and colleagues, public speaking, critical reading).

Does anyone know if they want an sat score of verbal+math or verbal+math+writing? I automatically assumed verbal+math only but then I realized the latter was a possibility.

No, it's definitely a fair question. I've run into very similar language at two other schools ("min of three letters"). I emailed about it and both actually said they accept a max of ten, so more than three is certainly acceptable (e.g., from EC directors or MD's shadowed). I'd still email though, jut to be sure.

i dont think it matters. i probably a sent a total of 6 or so to BCM when I applied and they didn't say anything. i think a max of 10 sounds right

re:

response:

i dont think i put my SAT score. does it say that is optional to fill out or required?

and FWIW, i disagree with your assessment that an SAT can validate a higher verbal person. it's a test. a good test taker doesn't have to be a highly verbal person to do well on the SAT verbal. the SAT shows how well you take a standardized test, not how well you can communicate IMO

So, what's the deal with Baylor??? My pre-med advisor and PI have expressed some concerns about financial problems and trouble with a lot of new faculty... Can any of the current students comment on the situation? I am seriously considering applying, but I am not sure given all that I have heard in recent weeks.

So, what's the deal with Baylor??? My pre-med advisor and PI have expressed some concerns about financial problems and trouble with a lot of new faculty... Can any of the current students comment on the situation? I am seriously considering applying, but I am not sure given all that I have heard in recent weeks.

I'm not sure what the deal is, but I know it was addresses several times in last years thread if you want to look that over.

Not attending Baylor, but based on my interview day and conversations with current students, it does not appear that their financial situation has adversely affected the quality of their medical education.I think they've recently renovated their anatomy lab.

Baylor is still saddled with quite a bit of debt (a lot of it tied to its incomplete hospital, which probably won't be completed in the near future, if at all), but it seems like they're heading in the right direction in terms of leadership / debt repayments / etc. I would not let BCM's financial situation deter you from applying ... it's a great school in the heart of the TMC.

Status
Not open for further replies.