2012-2013 Texas Tech - Lubbock Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So ideally an hotel nearby from where I CAN WALK to the school. Anyone?

OK I am all set up to fly in on 8/16. Flight + 1night hotel+ car for 1 day = less than $300. Not too bad. At least, I won't have to rely on a cab and all in all, it is a fairly reasonable package. So, I won't have to walk or to take a cab. That's nice.:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

OK I am all set up to fly in on 8/16. Flight + 1night hotel+ car for 1 day = less than $300. Not too bad. At least, I won't have to rely on a cab and all in all, it is a fairly reasonable package. So, I won't have to walk or to take a cab. That's nice.:cool:

Great deal, I will be paying a little more still and I am driving the full 7-8 hours. You got it down! :thumbup:

That being said... if anyone from College Station is interviewing on the 3rd and wants to save some gas $ let me know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview invite! :) Haven't selected my interview date yet. Woohoo!

I know this is a little late, but did anyone have problems with the formatting? I used the bullet tools that are present in the box, but when I submitted the secondary application, all I see is a bunch of weird html stuff that I don't understand! :(

Does anyone have any insight about the Lubbock community and life in the city?

I loved my 5 years of undergrad there and would be thrilled to do med school there too. It's very much so a college town but has close to 250 K residents. The worst part is that its not close to any major city. (300+ miles to DFW) Feel free to post or PM me with more specific questions.

I went to Texas Tech for undergrad (graduated in May 2011). Lubbock has definitely grown a lot in the last 5 years compared to when I first arrived my freshman year in 2007. There's been tons of construction, lots of new restaurants and apartments around the Tech area. There's a semi-new shopping area in the west area. The mall is okay, has your typical Hollister/Pacsun/Forever 21, etc, but much less variety than malls in the DFW area. Lubbock itself is laid out like a grid with numbered streets and then Loop 289 going around the whole city, so it's pretty easy to navigate. My undergrad apartment was actually right down the street from the med school (about 5 min away) and rent was about $750/month for a loft, excluding utilities.

Anyone who applied to the MD/MBA program get any interviews?

Those that did get interviews, did you just apply to the MD program?

MD only here

interview on the aug 3rd, staying at hawthorn. I am not renting a car so anyone wanan share a cab or wanna carpool to the interview hit me up!

Last edited:
MD only here

interview on the aug 3rd, staying at hawthorn. I am not renting a car so anyone wanan share a cab or wanna carpool to the interview hit me up!

I am interviewing on the third and have a room at Hawthorne for both the night of the 2nd and 3rd. I will have my car so if you need a ride to the interview that morning let me know and we can work it out.

I received an email for Aug 3rd interview here. Anyone know anything about this school's interview process?

That's when I'm interviewing there as well. See you then.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this is a little late, but did anyone have problems with the formatting? I used the bullet tools that are present in the box, but when I submitted the secondary application, all I see is a bunch of weird html stuff that I don't understand! :(

What browser are you using? I had those issues with Firefox. IE and Chrome worked fine for me.

anyone for the 8/1 interview hear back from the student housing?? I have not yet :( and I submitted a request a few weeks ago

anyone for the 8/1 interview hear back from the student housing?? I have not yet :( and I submitted a request a few weeks ago

Me too. So I just decided to stay with a friend instead of waiting for the student host assignment.

Applied for MD/MBA as well. Tech is one of the only 2 schools in the US that has a 4 year MD/MBA program. IMO, I fit this school extremely well...even went to pharmacy school here. I have not received an interview either, but this is a great choice for me.

Applied for MD/MBA as well. Tech is one of the only 2 schools in the US that has a 4 year MD/MBA program. IMO, I fit this school extremely well...even went to pharmacy school here. I have not received an interview either, but this is a great choice for me.

Why the switch from pharmacy? And what type of doctor do you want to be?

Same here, nothing on my end. Did you apply to the other 4 year MD/MBA school? I did but my stupid Amcas is still not verified.

For those that applied MD/MBA there is still hope: (Assuming no MD/MBA applicants have gotten an interview yet).

From the Tech website:

The MDMBA program is a combined degree program where students pursue an MD and an MBA in Health Organization Management. For more information , please click here. Applicants accepted through the MD/MBA program are accepted outside of the traditional MD rolling admissions and matching process. We will accept 9-10 students per year in this program.
I guess this means they look at our files separately from regular MD, interview us separately and choose to accept us separately from regular MD. Can any students at Tech verify this? If MD/MBA students can weigh in that would be great!

Also if any MD/MBA applicants have gotten II, please let us know.

Last edited:
For those that applied MD/MBA there is still hope: (Assuming no MD/MBA applicants have gotten an interview yet).

From the Tech website:

I guess this means they look at our files separately from regular MD, interview us separately and choose to accept us separately from regular MD. Can any students at Tech verify this? If MD/MBA students can weigh in that would be great!

Also if any MD/MBA applicants have gotten II, please let us know.

Students that apply MD/MBA are interviewed by an individual from the the business school, on top of their 2 med school interviews, and are accepted to both programs separately. Chances are if you are accepted to the MD you'll be accepted to the MBA, but not the other way around. There's still hope for everyone, it's only the beginning of August.

Does a current student or someone who interviewed yesterday know if they have a place to keep our luggage during the interview?

Does a current student or someone who interviewed yesterday know if they have a place to keep our luggage during the interview?

Email said to bring luggage if your flight is after interview as they provide shuttle to the airport. So I would think they have a luggage area. GL tomorrow

There is indeed a place for your luggage so feel free to bring it with you to your interview. The housing situation should be all figured out now. Make sure to take advantage of the student volunteers and save some money. Btw, we just had our white coat ceremony and our dean, Dr. Burk, informed us all that the MSI class has average stats of 3.7 and 31.1.

Has Lubbock sent out another round of interviews? Still haven't heard a word from them...

Hello everyone,

So I applied to Tech's EDP program earlier this summer and still haven't heard back. On my Merlin account i still have "i"s next to the interview box.

Not going to lie, seeing everyone getting interviews already is making me a tad bit nervous (but still, congrats to you all!)

Has anyone else applied to EDP? Or received an interview offer? Any insight would be a blessing!

Hello everyone,

So I applied to Tech's EDP program earlier this summer and still haven't heard back. On my Merlin account i still have "i"s next to the interview box.

Not going to lie, seeing everyone getting interviews already is making me a tad bit nervous (but still, congrats to you all!)

Has anyone else applied to EDP? Or received an interview offer? Any insight would be a blessing!

Are you extremely competitive? If you are, then I think you may still have some time. Otherwise, plan on applying everywhere else in September (or whenever you're allowed to).

Are you extremely competitive? If you are, then I think you may still have some time. Otherwise, plan on applying everywhere else in September (or whenever you're allowed to).

well, to be honest...im not extremely competitive. i have a 29 and a 3.6; but my ECs/leadership/volunteer/shadowing etc are all very exceptional.

...see...that's what i was confused about...i figured the very competitive applicants would hear back earlier, and that i would find out later. i know they only have limited seats, but im not sure how many people they've offered for EDP and how many are regular admission.

...im just trying to gauge my chances based on how many EDP interviews they've given out.

(just some info...they unlock your applications on Sept 15!)

I know some early decision people with really good stats that haven't been invited yet so I'd assume they haven't interviewed many (if any) EDP applicants yet. Your GPA and MCAT are a little below average for the school but still strong. I don't know much about EDP, but I'm sure you will get a chance to interview here at some point, even if it is a bit later.

so does everybody still waiting on an interview have a red and yellow box on merlin under the status review and interview scheduling box?

so does everybody still waiting on an interview have a red and yellow box on merlin under the status review and interview scheduling box?

Yessir. With "no status" in both of them. I transmitted on 7/24.

Not me, I still have the standard 3 boxes with blue "i"s in them and 1 box with a green check, no red/yellow box present. Maybe it's a sign you guys will be receiving an invite soon! I transmitted primary and secondary late June too.

This sucks. I completed my application and paid a month ago, and thought I was finished. Little did I know that I had to check the submit box before my app was done. I hope this doesn't come back to haunt me. Should I send an email or something saying why there is a month gap, or would that just make me look stupid?

This sucks. I completed my application and paid a month ago, and thought I was finished. Little did I know that I had to check the submit box before my app was done. I hope this doesn't come back to haunt me. Should I send an email or something saying why there is a month gap, or would that just make me look stupid?
I wouldn't send an e-mail.

OOS here, got an interview invite yesterday (8/9), submitted secondary on 7/29.

Plane tickets are expensive (from Chicago for me)...anybody taking on the free housing with med students?

I did the free housing thing and had an awesome experience! I got to stay with the MS2 class president as well as a Deans Assistant in a fairly nice apartment. Definitely do it if you can. You will save money and you will get a ton of great insights into the school that will help you answer the inevitable "Why Texas Tech?" questions in your interviews.

Hey!

For all of you who have gotten interviews (congrats!) and are headed up to Lubbock, did you all apply for regular admission or for the Early Decision Program? Still haven't heard back from EDP, that's why :/

Thanks in advance!

Hey guys - question. I find the Merlin service to be absolutely confusing. I currently have three blue i's next to the Applicant Status Review, Interview Scheduling, and Admissions Offer. I also have a green check next to the Application Packet Submit. When I click the Status Review it reads "NO STATUS FOUND."

I'm a bit confused about all this - what does this all mean? I submitted the secondary and fee beginning of July. However, my LORs were received by TMDSAS last week. Anything to be concerned about?

Nothing to be worry about, you just have to wait for their email. This apply to ur questions about both tech schools and utsw. I know... The wait is killing me too. The first thing I do when I wake up is checking my email and I do it like every hours till 5 pm. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just received my invite today! They gave me 3 options & I took the 2nd earliest one. The earliest one would be next week & that seemed to soon :scared:. Anyone else interviewing Sept 7th?

Timetable & Stats:

Sent in application 06/30, app transmitted to schools 7/17, but my LORs weren't sent until 7/26.

~3.8 Overall & Science GPA, 34O, IS

Surprisingly, this is thus far my favorite school and interview experience. Very relaxed and efficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Does anyone know how many people apply/ are accepted through the early decision program? I applied through it and interview in the next couple of weeks. (4.0/ 33Q/ strong ECs)

Does anyone know how many people apply/ are accepted through the early decision program? I applied through it and interview in the next couple of weeks. (4.0/ 33Q/ strong ECs)

I don't know anything about Edp, but given your stats, your chances look pretty high to me. Good luck.

Like others I loved the school as a well. The interviews were interesting, and more like discussions. Really enjoyed.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using SDN Mobile

i'm an OOS applicant that submitted my secondary here around 6/15, my application was transmitted 6/27, and my final recommendation letter (committee) was transmitted on 7/17. does anyone know why i havent heard anything yet?

i'm an OOS applicant that submitted my secondary here around 6/15, my application was transmitted 6/27, and my final recommendation letter (committee) was transmitted on 7/17. does anyone know why i havent heard anything yet?

Don't stress yet. I am IS and had everything finished weeks before your dates. I just heard back last week. Texas schools are a little different because most send you absolutely nothing until you get an interview, and we aren't very far into interview season.

Just got an interview invite here for 9/21 or 9/28! Probably gonna pick 9/21.

Transmitted on 7/24. Turned in the secondary a few days later.

Let me know if anyone else on here is interviewing on the 21st!

Plane tickets are EXPENSIVE from Chicago ($375)...looks like I'm taking a 30 hour Greyhound ride instead.

I'm thinking about the 60 hour round trip this way - considering how much cheaper it is to go to school in Texas, it's like I'm making $2000 per hour of sitting on that bus. Easiest money ever.

Plane tickets are EXPENSIVE from Chicago ($375)...looks like I'm taking a 30 hour Greyhound ride instead.

I'm thinking about the 60 hour round trip this way - considering how much cheaper it is to go to school in Texas, it's like I'm making $2000 per hour of sitting on that bus. Easiest money ever.

Haha, I like your style!

I personally can't stand those rides for anything over a couple hours, let alone 30. My legs start screaming and I end up getting pseudohomicidal, lol. Good luck!

Last edited:
Does any one else have weird (html?) code (like below) showing on their secondary after submission.

f3893e8c.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.