2012-2013 Texas Tech - Lubbock Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got an II this morning! Either on 11/16 or 12/7. cGPA 3.47, sGPA 3.27, MCAT 30 O. Decent EC's but nothing great... Submitted TMDSAS 7/17, Transmitted 7/31, never got a confirmation. Wasn't really expecting to get any interviews, let alone 3 so far! (Especially surprising since all the schools I've been invited to are big on rural health/primary care...and I expressed zero interest in that anywhere on my app..hmm..) There is hope, people, and good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Just got an II this morning! Either on 11/16 or 12/7. cGPA 3.47, sGPA 3.27, MCAT 30 O. Decent EC's but nothing great... Submitted TMDSAS 7/17, Transmitted 7/31, never got a confirmation. Wasn't really expecting to get any interviews, let alone 3 so far! (Especially surprising since all the schools I've been invited to are big on rural health/primary care...and I expressed zero interest in that anywhere on my app..hmm..) There is hope, people, and good luck to everyone!

There is hope! Congratulations! And good luck on the interview!

Last year thread indicates that acceptances start going out around 9am-2pm...

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems they all went out at 2pm last year... Man I need to sleep

Awwee yeaaaaahhh the proverbial email came!!!!

Thanks guys, an acceptance makes things a lot better lol.

Congrats! But also damn, because this means I didn't get one.

Barbie, hold off there. It all depends when you interviewed. There seems to be a method to the madness.
FYI, I interviewed one of the first WE. I thought of all my interviews, Tech were the best. Yet I match at other schools (where my interviews were not so good), and nothing from tech, and I interviewed very early in the process like 2nd or 3rd week.

The point is that it is hard to predict anything on the process. Just be patient.I know, it must be very hard. but keep the faith.

Reactions: 1 user
Whoo hooo!!! accepted 9:16!!!

32/3.6/non-trad
Interviewed 9/28

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Barbie, hold off there. It all depends when you interviewed. There seems to be a method to the madness.
FYI, I interviewed one of the first WE. I thought of all my interviews, Tech were the best. Yet I match at other schools (where my interviews were not so good), and nothing from tech, and I interviewed very early in the process like 2nd or 3rd week.

The point is that it is hard to predict anything on the process. Just be patient.I know, it must be very hard. but keep the faith.

Yes I saw you pre-matched at UTSW. Congratulations!

Does Tech have a facebook group for their upcoming class like some of the other schools?

Accepted!! I'm going to be a doctor!

Got the email at exactly 9:16.

3.7, 33 IS and interviewed in late September

I received an acceptance email as well. The video is neat.

Congrats to all, and to others, please know that some acceptances will still be available.

Also accepted (email stamped 8:45am)! First acceptance for me!!!!!!!!
Loved the video. :D

Interviewed mid-September.
IS 3.6/32

So excited I've been jumping up and down - thank goodness I'm at home! :laugh:

Accepted! Was freaking out when I saw all the acceptances because I interviewed early. They must be emailing in batches. I need to get off this board. It's making me crazy :)

Congrats everyone!

Accepted! Was freaking out when I saw all the acceptances because I interviewed early. They must be emailing in batches. I need to get off this board. It's making me crazy :)

Congrats everyone!

Congratulations to everyone who's heard! That's so fantastic :) Would y'all mind posting stats if you haven't already? I interviewed early, too, and am trying to get a sense of when I might hear

Thanks and Congrats!!

Congratulations to everyone who's heard! That's so fantastic :) Would y'all mind posting stats if you haven't already? I interviewed early, too, and am trying to get a sense of when I might hear

Thanks and Congrats!!

Interviewed early, sGPA = uGPA = 4, cGPA=3.7, MCAT 36P

sGPA and uGPA: 3.7 MCAT: 29T; interviewed in late september; accepted at roughly 9:30 am..

Not sure there's a "numbers" method to the decisions based on my subpar MCAT score...Must be fairly holistic! :)

This may be a silly question, but if I accept (for now) & pay the $100, do I get a refund if I ultimately match elsewhere? Thanks in advance!

Accepted! IS 4.0 35
Interviewed in mid August!

Just curious, for women who have already interviewed, how dressed up did you get? Pants suit, or just dress pants and a dress shirt? Thanks

+1. I'm interested in this as well.

Found this from last year thread:

Originally Posted by 7sunny
Hey all...
I made the awkward call about the deposit refund. They said they will process all refunds by March 1, and that we should get them by march 15

Eh, but then on Merlin it says the fee is non refundable.... :confused:

Last edited:
Just curious, for women who have already interviewed, how dressed up did you get? Pants suit, or just dress pants and a dress shirt? Thanks

Suit. On 4 out of the 5 interviews I went to, there were only 1 or 2 people not wearing one. (The 5th was all suits.)

Eh, but then on Merlin it says the fee is non refundable.... :confused:

I did notice this, but I figure if it comes down to it, it's a drop in the bucket.

It's always a good rule of thumb to over-dress rather than under-dress. A med school interview isn't the time to be casual.

I wore a skirt suit with pearls and kind of looked like I was about to go into court. Also, I was only 1 of 2 women at my interview wearing a skirt, everyone else wore pants.

I'll be withdrawing my acceptance soon so there'll be one more spot! GL to everyone : )

i'll be withdrawing my acceptance soon so there'll be one more spot! Gl to everyone : )

+1
BTW, I notice, based on an alert of a friend, that I got a scholarship from Lubbock. They don't say how much. But they say that the terms of the scholarship will be communicated later...
It will spice things up a bit.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the average USMLE Step 1 Score was for Lubbock last year? I know they told us in the interview, but I've misplaced my notes :/

For those wondering, in looking at their website, this is what they say about the fee...

"a Placement Guarantee Fee (PGF) of $100; NOT refundable after May 15, as applicants must be seated at one medical school by this date"

So I assume it would be refundable based on the date.

Does anyone know what the average USMLE Step 1 Score was for Lubbock last year? I know they told us in the interview, but I've misplaced my notes :/

I don't think they have the official number yet, but I was told it will be right around 230.

228 or 229. That's what I was told in my interview.

I never got a pre-match offer, but this school shows up on TMDSAS when I go to "Pre-Match Offer Withdrawal."

Does every school you interviewed at show up under "Pre-Match Offer Withdrawal" or is this some sort of mistake? Anyone else have this?

I never got a pre-match offer, but this school shows up on TMDSAS when I go to "Pre-Match Offer Withdrawal."

Does every school you interviewed at show up under "Pre-Match Offer Withdrawal" or is this some sort of mistake? Anyone else have this?

If it shows up as a withdrawal possibility in TMDSAS, it means you have been pre-matched. Now since you haven't received any email or other communication, you should call the school directly whenever you can to solve the issue. You might be in. Good luck and please let us know.

This may or may not be the right place to post this but if any of yall interviewed at both Tech Lubbock and El Paso, which are you ranking above the other and why? I'm torn...

Last edited:
This may or may not be the right place to post this but if any of yall interviewed at both Tech Lubbock and El Paso, which are you ranking above the other and why? I'm torn...

I interviewed at 4 tmdsas school, I am ranking lubbock #2 and El Paso #4. Lubbock is a college town, which has a fair undergrad population, so I just feel that it's more accommodating than El Paso. The lubbock campus and surroundings seems very convenient as the school is connected to the hospital. More importantly, lubbock had been around, i think they have a good match list, while El Paso is too new for me.

I am also having a hard time deciding on rankings, but these 2 schools are so different:
-surrounding area
-clinical years' opportunities
-curriculum (!)
-class size (although Foster says they may go to 100 this year)
-patient population

Again, I still don't know which schools I'm putting in which positions, but I'm thinking I'll just have to decide which of these points are most important to me.

Unlike some people who say they felt a "fit" at some places more than others, I felt comfortable and impressed at all schools. There were just different parts of the experience that were higher for me at each place. And I do feel as though I will be happy and well-educated at any TX school!

Status
Not open for further replies.