2012-2013 Texas Tech - Lubbock Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got an acceptance email this morning. Any other OOS's hear back today?

I know they said at UT Southwestern they wouldn't send stuff out today, but maybe...maybe...

I know they said at UT Southwestern they wouldn't send stuff out today, but maybe...maybe...

Hey
Congrats . The school is great, would love to match, but, as an IS, will have to wait one more month. utsw will likely not send emails before nov 15 deadline for all, they insisted on that. Hoping to match there a well...
Sent via my crappy phone.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted! Just wanted to give a heads up-- my email went to spam and I'm on gmail. I saw it first through the status page.

Accepted! Just wanted to give a heads up-- my email went to spam and I'm on gmail. I saw it first through the status page.

Congratulations!! hope this is your top choice so that the waiting will be over for you :D

I am IS so I have to wait for another month :xf:

Would you acceptees mind sharing your stats? Was really pulling for some good news today but all's silent from Tech on my end. Thanks!

II today for November 9th. Secondary submitted mid-September.

I interviewed here on 9/28 and I just noticed that on the website there is now a red "closed" next to the checkmark.

Does this mean that I've been rejected?
:(

I interviewed here on 9/28 and I just noticed that on the website there is now a red "closed" next to the checkmark.

Does this mean that I've been rejected?
:(

No, this means absolutely nothing regarding admission decisions...don't worry. If it helps, mine was like that shortly after finishing my secondary. It remained that way even after getting my II - to which i have yet to attend.

Last edited:
Have some questions for those that already attended the interview.

1) Did you rent a car or is it much easier to get cabs?

2) Any hotel recommendations? Are there even ones that provide shuttle services to the HSC? I would like to stay at a place that's close to the interview site and not too cheap/expensive, maybe somewhere around $80-120.

3) Does the school provide a shuttle to the airport after the interview?

4) Anything else that you can share?

Thanks!

2) Any hotel recommendations? Are there even ones that provide shuttle services to the HSC? I would like to stay at a place that's close to the interview site and not too cheap/expensive, maybe somewhere around $80-120.

Thanks!

1) My hotel offered a shuttle
2) Holiday Inn Hotel And Towers - pretty nice, used priceline
3) yes, school provides shuttle
4) typical interview. Laidback, everyone is very nice.

Good luck!

I took to cab and wished I had rented a car. The airport kind of sits out of town and make a cab cost around 25 bucks each way. Traffic is no issue so even if you aren't right by the school you shouldn't have any problems. Yes the school provides a shuttle and it takes you right to the airport following the interview day. Lots of other interviewees took the shuttle with me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes the school provides a shuttle and it takes you right to the airport following the interview day. Lots of other interviewees took the shuttle with me.

Can you arrange for the shuttle to pick you up FROM the airport as well?

Thanks!

1) Rented a car and was happy with that decision. Went to rental websites about a week before and clicked on last minute deals. Flew in Thursday afternoon, left Saturday around noon, and only paid roughly $50. Car was handy for meals since I was there for 2 dinners and my hotel didn't have much near it.

2) Stayed at the La Quinta, which was fine - nice staff, indoor corridors. NO shuttle service to school even though it's close.

3) (already answered above)

4) Good school with happy students :)

My secondary has been completed for about a month. How long does it take Lubbock to get back to applicants normally? Is it safe to say they've passed me up? I've got two other interviews at UTH and El Paso right now.

My secondary has been completed for about a month. How long does it take Lubbock to get back to applicants normally? Is it safe to say they've passed me up? I've got two other interviews at UTH and El Paso right now.

I think there is a chance they passed you up, but that doesn't exclude the possibility that they'll come back to you depending on the applications they received after yours. But they could also have received a large chunk of applications late and could still be going through them.

Interview invite! (yesterday--it was in my spam)
OOS, non-trad, sGPA 3.98, MCAT 26 retake to 30

nobody here is on an adcom, no need to lie

Seriously. The school seems top notch, as far as having everything you need to succeed, but Lubbock is quiet and laid back. Seems like a great place to study medicine and not get too distracted.

Thanks!

If you're still looking for a place, stay at the Hampton Inn and Suites over by the campus. It was amazing (literally the best service I've ever gotten at a hotel)!

How long is it taking people to hear back after their interviews?

For those of you who got accepted...has any one heard back about the scholarship e-mail that was supposed to follow?

Has Lubbock booked December interview dates already?

i'm an OOS interviewee and didn't hear back on oct 15 ... should i take this as a bad sign :( or am i being neurotic...

Last edited:
Seriously. The school seems top notch, as far as having everything you need to succeed, but Lubbock is quiet and laid back. Seems like a great place to study medicine and not get too distracted.

My perception precisely! I'd love to go here! Fingers crossed!

Would It be too big of a deal if I can't show up until around 9:30am on interview day?

Last edited:
Would It be too big of a deal if I can't show up until around 10am on interview day?

BIG Deal. Never show up late to an interview.
Be there before the time they tell you to get there.

BIG Deal. Never show up late to an interview.
Be there before the time they tell you to get there.

While I understand your seriousness for this issue I have to believe that given certain circumstances it could be admissible - especially considering the tours, lunch, and actual interviews all take place well after that point. Seems like all I'll really be missing is the part where everyone trickles-in, signs in, and maybe even a bit of the orientation.

Anyway I literally have two interviews the Wednesday and Thursday before and will need to either fly-in that morning (lands at 8:50) or drive through the night to get there. I cant really justify a reschedule as there isn't actually a scheduling conflict. Plus, I really don't want to slide in on some December date.

Blah, guess I'll just phone-in and see what they have to say....

(after phone call)

I guess I forgot how small Lubbock is! They said its fine and given the landing time, I should be there around 9:30 at the latest and that I would just miss-out on a little socializing time at worst. Anyway, I feel much better - not sure why I was boring everyone with this crap.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
II today for November 9th. Secondary submitted mid-September.

Has Lubbock booked December interview dates already?

+1

It seems that the last interview date reported on SDN was for Nov. 9, so pretty early in November. With that being said, I'm sure its safe to assume that they still have quite a few interview days left.

I am in a similar position as you rubisco, I have interviewed at Texas Tech- El Paso and got interviews at UTH and UTMB in the coming weeks. Not a peep from anyone else...It's difficult not to get discouraged and lose hope at this point since I hear people repeatedly saying even if we do get an interview now it'll be for the waitlist...:thumbdown:

Last edited:
I hope so. I'd really like to have at least one more interview. From my friends it seems it takes Lubbock about a month and a half to two months to hear back after submitting the secondary, so hopefully we are still in the running. I've only heard back from uth, el paso, and tcom.

.It's difficult not to get discouraged and lose hope at this point since I hear people repeatedly saying even if we do get an interview now it'll be for the waitlist...:thumbdown:

That's false. I have a friend that interviewed the first week in December at A&M and was accepted a week later.

I've been reading the forum from last year's applying class around the pre-match time frame aaannnddd....it's a total crapshoot. Some people that interviewed in October got acceptances on November 15th and this one guy that interviewed in August (like me) didn't get one until the end of December. Makes me feel a little better that even if I miss out at first it doesn't mean I won't hear. :luck:

That's false. I have a friend that interviewed the first week in December at A&M and was accepted a week later.

Nice, this is great to hear. I guess I'll keep my hopes up and assume any interview is a potential pre-match opportunity.

As a side note, your friend must have annihilated their interview.

+1

It seems that the last interview date reported on SDN was for Nov. 9, so pretty early in November. With that being said, I'm sure its safe to assume that they still have quite a few interview days left.

They had Fridays through Dec 14 available (except turkey-day weekend).

Last edited:
I got an ii on this Monday, and I chose November 9th. Best of luck to everyone!

Sorry in advance if this is redundant, I couldn't find the info anywhere...

I know someone said they rank you after your interview. Is that a ranking of you against all other interviewees or is that you against the the group you interviewed with?

It depends on what you want to do. It's harder to get into some subspecialties from Texas Tech versus a bigger city school like Dallas/Houston/San Antonio simply because we don't offer those residency programs. Like say if you were interested in neurosurgery during your 4th year, then your only option is to do it as an away rotation at another institution because there is no home program. If you want to enter one of the larger fields then you'll be fine.

Hey everyone. I interviewed here at the end of September and have yet to see the school pop up in my ranking preference list on TMDSAS. Anyone else have this delay?

Hey everyone. I interviewed here at the end of September and have yet to see the school pop up in my ranking preference list on TMDSAS. Anyone else have this delay?

I interviewed back in august I think and they showed up super fast. Don't worry though. They will show up.

Sent via my crappy phone.

Did anyone else apply to the Family Medicine Accelerated Track? Sound crazy in a good way. Hope I get in.

Did anyone else apply to the Family Medicine Accelerated Track? Sound crazy in a good way. Hope I get in.
A friend of mine was accepted last month to the FMAT program. Hope you get in too!

When i submitted my tmdsas apps back in the summer, I mentioned in my tech secondary app about my interest in the FMAT program. i just recieved an email last friday from admin letting me know that they were reviewing my app but that I needed to submit the FMAT online app.(didnt know there was one) It was kind've a relief email since i thought i was out if the loop already. No invites yet.

Interview invite, November 16th! Finally, some relief.

I second the congratulations. Nice job!

I am also wondering stats...if you don't mind of course, still waiting for an invite from TT-Lubbock. :xf:

Thanks!
3.51 GPA, 3.33 sGPA, 29O MCAT, Strong clinical ECs, and decent LORs.
My app was help up by my school's committee evaluation letter and was complete pretty late in the cycle. Mid-September.

Thanks!
3.51 GPA, 3.33 sGPA, 29O MCAT, Strong clinical ECs, and decent LORs.
My app was help up by my school's committee evaluation letter and was complete pretty late in the cycle. Mid-September.

Interview invite this morning! They gave me 3 options for dates (11/16, 11/30, and 12/7). I really wasn't expecting this invite, since I've already done 6 other interviews in Texas and hadn't heard a peep from TTUHSC-Lubbock. I went to Tech as an undergrad so I know Lubbock pretty well though, and I have lots of friends at the med school who did the early acceptance program through the Honors College.

Status
Not open for further replies.