2013-2014 Baylor College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hm... I have been on "is being reviewed" status for 2 months now after it switched from "has been reviewed"...I actually saw an interview confirmation earlier back when the link was working but I haven't been emailed/formally invited :( Not sure if I should be worried :(

Members don't see this ad.

Hm... I have been on "is being reviewed" status for 2 months now after it switched from "has been reviewed"...I actually saw an interview confirmation earlier back when the link was working but I haven't been emailed/formally invited :( Not sure if I should be worried :(

At least you switched back. I've been has been reviewed since August.

They apparently send you the invitation one month before the interview invite.

What date did you interview confirmation have?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if they will start accepting Oct 15? I know in the past it's usually in November.

They told our interview group that their goal was to send the first batch of acceptances out before the end of October. BUT they did mention that they haven't decided how *many* offers they'll make in that first wave -- it could end up being 5 offers before the next batch :p

They apparently send you the invitation one month before the interview invite.

What date did you interview confirmation have?

Early October :( that's why I'm worried about not getting an invite... Maye it was a fluke or they just decided to hold off on interviewing me

Early October :( that's why I'm worried about not getting an invite... Maye it was a fluke or they just decided to hold off on interviewing me

Have you thought about calling to ask? I mean, you did see an II when the link was working so it's not like you're just some random applicant calling to see if they want to interview you. If it were me I would have to call so I wouldn't sit around wondering. Let them know that you logged on and saw an interview, but never got an official II so you're concerned there was some sort of computer glitch and you missed your interview. I highly doubt they'd decide not to interview you simply because you called to clear up some confusion.

Have you thought about calling to ask? I mean, you did see an II when the link was working so it's not like you're just some random applicant calling to see if they want to interview you. If it were me I would have to call so I wouldn't sit around wondering. Let them know that you logged on and saw an interview, but never got an official II so you're concerned there was some sort of computer glitch and you missed your interview. I highly doubt they'd decide not to interview you simply because you called to clear up some confusion.

Yeah, I'm thinking of calling. I just wasn't sure how I could bring up the fact that I think I got an interview since we weren't really allowed access to the interview confirmation page...

Yeah, I'm thinking of calling. I just wasn't sure how I could bring up the fact that I think I got an interview since we weren't really allowed access to the interview confirmation page...

I'd just be honest. Let them know that you saw a link online that was for status checks/interview confirmation (if you actually had an interview), and you were curious. You checked it out, and it said you had an interview. You never received an official II and are concerned you may have missed it, if in fact the interview was legit. Bottom line, I'm pretty sure everyone on this thread went and checked to see whether they had an interview when the link was working. What makes you different is that you saw you had an interview, then never received an invite. I would think that lots of people who went to the link didn't see an interview. They know there was an issue with the link being public, and they fixed it. Just call, tell them the truth, and get as much of an answer as they'll give so you can stop worrying about it.

If this helps, after I clicked to confirm my interview (prematurely) before even getting an official email, I freaked out because people on this thread were commenting that it might not be a real interview invite. So I emailed the admissions office asking if I had made a mistake accepting an interview that wasn't meant for me.

They responded by saying that the deans would look into it. After I emailed them, they changed the link to make it inaccessible to the public.
They reset my link and I got the official invite email exactly one month before my interview day (for the same day).

So in my case, it didn't hurt that I let them know that I saw an interview confirmation on the website.

Remember, these are real people. They are nice and won't punish you for something like this.

If this helps, after I clicked to confirm my interview (prematurely) before even getting an official email, I freaked out because people on this thread were commenting that it might not be a real interview invite. So I emailed the admissions office asking if I had made a mistake accepting an interview that wasn't meant for me.

They responded by saying that the deans would look into it. After I emailed them, they changed the link to make it inaccessible to the public.
They reset my link and I got the official invite email exactly one month before my interview day (for the same day).

So in my case, it didn't hurt that I let them know that I saw an interview confirmation on the website.

Remember, these are real people. They are nice and won't punish you for something like this.

Dbate is there a way to PM you? I can't seem to find the link

Thanks for everyone's help/advice! I did contact them and unfortunately, they said I haven't been extended an interview :( So I'm not quite sure why/how I saw the interview confirmation. Anyways, it's still "early" in the cycle so I'm hoping an II will come soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
My status changed to "is being reviewed!" I'm cautiously optimistic.

I also have no idea when this shift happened, I haven't looked at the status check in like a month...oops. :)

They told our interview group that their goal was to send the first batch of acceptances out before the end of October. BUT they did mention that they haven't decided how *many* offers they'll make in that first wave -- it could end up being 5 offers before the next batch :p

thanks

I'm a future applicant, but was wondering if any of you guys have been able to understand more about this phrase I saw on the MSAR.

"Attention is paid to course selections and the academic challenge imposed by the student's curriculum"

Ideas on what they mean by this?

Secondary submitted today.

My chances here this late in the cycle as an OOS are slimmm but maybe I will get lucky!

Good luck everyone!

They consider how tough your classes are and number of hours you are taking per semester in their evaluation of you as an applicant

They consider how tough your classes are and number of hours you are taking per semester in their evaluation of you as an applicant

That's what I'm confused about. Tough as in what course or how many science classes at once? I mean isn't it hard to compare this when looking at 2 applicants from 2 different universities?

That's what I'm confused about. Tough as in what course or how many science classes at once? I mean isn't it hard to compare this when looking at 2 applicants from 2 different universities?

You're probably putting to much thought into this. As long as you have a reasonable major (i.e. not something stupid like drama) and complete the prerequisites, you are probably fine.

You're probably putting to much thought into this. As long as you have a reasonable major (i.e. not something stupid like drama) and complete the prerequisites, you are probably fine.

I hope so, but Baylor also takes pride in their wide range of majors who matriculated

I hope so, but Baylor also takes pride in their wide range of majors who matriculated

https://www.bcm.edu/education/schools/college-of-medicine/snapshot.html

re: the 2010 entering class--->

"At BCM, diversity encompasses other factors as well. For example, the ages of our current student body span from 18 to 42. And, our students are not all science majors. In fact, our Admissions Committee actively seeks individuals with different educational backgrounds, as evidenced by the 32 different majors in this year's entering class."

BCM might love a Drama major...as long as s/he had a 3.8 in the Sciences

https://www.bcm.edu/education/schools/college-of-medicine/snapshot.html

re: the 2010 entering class--->

"At BCM, diversity encompasses other factors as well. For example, the ages of our current student body span from 18 to 42. And, our students are not all science majors. In fact, our Admissions Committee actively seeks individuals with different educational backgrounds, as evidenced by the 32 different majors in this year's entering class."

BCM might love a Drama major...as long as s/he had a 3.8 in the Sciences

Exactly. So are they looking at per semester breakdowns? I mean what if someone decides to take a few liberal arts classes along with science classes? I don't know how that works. Maybe a current BCM student knows?

I'm a future applicant, but was wondering if any of you guys have been able to understand more about this phrase I saw on the MSAR.

"Attention is paid to course selections and the academic challenge imposed by the student's curriculum"

Ideas on what they mean by this?

Suppose someone were a poli sci major at a community college for 2 years with a 4.0, then transferred to UT and had a 3.4/3.4 (overall cumul. 3.7)...and a 32 MCAT-- that interview invite ain't gonna' happen.

Beyond that, they would get down in the weeds probably only if two candidates were otherwise close come offer time. A 3.8 at Rice, say, simply says more than a 3.8 at various other Texas schools.

if your status says "You application has been reviewed and we will let you know something as soon as we are able." Does this mean a rejection? Its been like this for awhile... Does Baylor string people along?

if your status says "You application has been reviewed and we will let you know something as soon as we are able." Does this mean a rejection? Its been like this for awhile... Does Baylor string people along?

No, my status said this for 3-4 weeks and I got an interview invite last week. Don't give up hope yet! :)

Suppose someone were a poli sci major at a community college for 2 years with a 4.0, then transferred to UT and had a 3.4/3.4 (overall cumul. 3.7)...and a 32 MCAT-- that interview invite ain't gonna' happen.

Beyond that, they would get down in the weeds probably only if two candidates were otherwise close come offer time. A 3.8 at Rice, say, simply says more than a 3.8 at various other Texas schools.

Yeah I guess that makes sense. I hope they're not making a big deal about number of science classes vs. non science classes a student takes per semester, etc.

II just now!!!! I am SO EXCITED.

IS, complete last week of August, <3.6 GPA, 35 MCAT.

YAY!!! :D

Congratulations!!!!!! Are you nontrad or something?
Why do you keep asking that? Do you think non-trads have some unfair advantage? Go ahead then, graduate from college, get a job, have a family, start volunteering and doing research at the same time as you're taking classes at night and working full time to support your family - and then apply to medical school and get all the advantage :D

Why do you keep asking that? Do you think non-trads have some unfair advantage? Go ahead then, graduate from college, get a job, have a family, start volunteering and doing research at the same time as you're taking classes at night and working full time to support your family - and then apply to medical school and get all the advantage :D

Are you nontrad?

Why do you ask why I'm asking? I ask because I find nontrads more interesting (they've got the most unique stories on here) :D

Congratulations!!!!!! Are you nontrad or something?

Thanks!! Haha... Yes, non-trad, no Baylor legacy or connections, non-URM. Good post-grad GPA and I have interesting life experiences, which I suspect had something to do with it. I'm incredibly surprised and excited, tbh. :)

Keep your heads up guys, this was a surprise and I've been complete for a while. There is hope!! :luck: :D

Edit: Yup, lots of night school, Amyg, lol! Thanks all for your support, such a great group of people here.

Thanks!! Haha... Yes, non-trad, no Baylor legacy or connections, non-URM. Good post-grad GPA and I have interesting life experiences, which I suspect had something to do with it. I'm incredibly surprised and excited, tbh. :)

Keep your heads up guys, this was a surprise and I've been complete for a while. There is hope!! :luck: :D

Did you send an update before your status changed/interview invite?

Did you send an update before your status changed/interview invite?

No, I didn't. I didn't really have anything to update them about except a change in classes and more shadowing, and I didn't feel comfortable contacting them about that. If I had something large, I definitely would have!

Major Congrats! We're stats twins!

Baylor doesn't put alot of effort into their interview day (because they don't have to work hard to attract people), but it will be great!

Try to go the lectures before the interview, that was a great experience for me.

Are you nontrad?

Why do you ask why I'm asking? I ask because I find nontrads more interesting (they've got the most unique stories on here) :D
:D
Are you a ventriloquist? I find ventriloquists fascinating, that's why I ask every person I meet if he or she is a ventriloquist.

No, it's more like you're asking that, as Gandalf suggested, because you perceive that someone has some sort of an (unfair) advantage that you don't have. I remember you getting frustrated about people who took community college classes applying/getting accepted to medical schools. Never mind that most of them took community college classes not because they are easier but because this was the only option they had, given that they had to work to support themselves etc. Speaking of advantages/disadvantages!
Stop looking at other people's plates and start worrying about what's on your own plate: do your best in school, MCAT, ECs, don't be a tool and you should be fine come your application cycle. But obsessing over *other* people taking community college classes or being non-trad or whatever is not going to do you any good.

And yeah, congrats blurrededges! :D

Last edited:

Congrats!! I got the II today as well and was ecstatic :love: Baylor's definitely one of my favorites! Interview for Nov. 15th? If so, I'll see you there :thumbup:

anyone receive word post interview yet

When I went they said the first round of acceptances go out end of October/ early November. However from what I have heard, they send out very few acceptances early and wait for most of them towards feb/ march

When I went they said the first round of acceptances go out end of October/ early November. However from what I have heard, they send out very few acceptances early and wait for most of them towards feb/ march

Does Baylor go with the IS/OOS notification timeline that the other Texas schools use?