2013-2014 Baylor College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For anyone that has interviewed here already, did you attend the optional event after the interview day itself? The email mentioned something about tacos with med students?
I'm arriving on Thursday so trying to decide if I should spend the night in Houston on Friday as well or go home after my day ends at 5:30.

Members don't see this ad.

They will make it clear that is totally optional as the interviewers meet and tabulate your scores from 2-4 while the applicants spend those two hours being given more information about Baylor. So that score(MCAT+GPA+Interview added together in an algorithm is the way they described it) is finalized before taco night. Many fly out immediately. Go if you want to socialize with the other applicants, very few medical students there.

They will make it clear that is totally optional as the interviewers meet and tabulate your scores from 2-4 while the applicants spend those two hours being given more information about Baylor. So that score(MCAT+GPA+Interview added together in an algorithm is the way they described it) is finalized before taco night. Many fly out immediately. Go if you want to socialize with the other applicants, very few medical students there.

What scoring criterion do they use? I saw in past threads that they have some kind of rubric Sheet they used to give applicants before the interview. But we were never given one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like a case of severe pre-pre-med anxiety :)

Any oos hear back? I've had the same "has been reviewed" status for a while now. Any chance this is a hold of some sort? Or are they waiting to send out a batch of rejections?

Any oos hear back? I've had the same "has been reviewed" status for a while now. Any chance this is a hold of some sort? Or are they waiting to send out a batch of rejections?

I feel like most schools don't send out rejections until next year.

baylor almost never sends out rejections....until may

I interviewed here on Friday and I wanted to share some stats the Dean of Admissions told us. Baylor receives about 6,600 applications, invites about 850 students to interview, and then accepts 315 students to fill a class of 186.

The interviews give you a score. Then that score is combined with your MCAT and GPA to create a rank list of students. Throughout the interview season after Oct. 15 students at the top of the list are sent acceptances. And every interview day new students are added to the rank list.

Sent from my iPhone.

I wanted to update this. I looked up the stats according to the 2014 MSAR and they differed considerably from what the Dean of Admissions mentioned.

In-state Interviewed: 452
In-state Matriculates: 138*

*Note: Includes 19 BS/MD students and 7 MD/PhD students

Out of State Interviewed: 279
Out of State Accepted: 47

Members don't see this ad :)
I wanted to update this. I looked up the stats according to the 2014 MSAR and they differed considerably from what the Dean of Admissions mentioned.

In-state Interviewed: 452
In-state Matriculates: 138*

*Note: Includes 19 BS/MD students and 7 MD/PhD students

Out of State Interviewed: 279
Out of State Accepted: 47

47 / 279 ? That's rigorous .... Ugh

According to USNWR, for in-state applicants:
1494 applied
452 interviewed
218 accepted
138 matriculated

For out of state applicants:
4027 applied
279 interviewed
119 accepted
47 matriculated

It seems pretty consistent with what the Dean said initially :thumbup: (and much better odds for us out of state-ers :p)

1494 applied
452 interviewed
218 accepted
138 matriculated

4027 applied
279 interviewed
119 accepted
47 matriculated

It seems pretty consistent with what the Dean said initially :thumbup: (and much better odds for us out of state-ers :p)

I wonder how the stats vary with timing of interview. It would be nice if at some point in the future, people could post the dates of their interview and then post whether they were accepted, WL, or rejected.

It could be the case that the acceptance rate is higher than 46% for those who interview earlier and lower for those who interview later. (I really hope this is the case :xf:)

Last edited:
1494 applied
452 interviewed
218 accepted
138 matriculated

4027 applied
279 interviewed
119 accepted
47 matriculated

>>>>>>>>>>>>

As I noted above, data for accepted applicants (the way data are often compared among schools) versus matriculated data can surely be different. There were 337 total accepted of which 185 actually matriculated, so 152 (or 45%) among acceptees went instead to Harvard, Washington U., Hopkins, Stanford, their home state schools, or wherever.

Among IS applicants, 63.3% (138/218) who were accepted actually matriculated...among OOS, 39.5% of those accepted actually enrolled (47/119).

A stunning note-- from among the 4,027 OOS applicants, 47 actually matriculated, or just 1.17%. About 7% of OOS applicants actually get to interview (279/4027), and ~ 3% of OOS applicants actually get accepted.

The large number of OOS applicants is indubitably a reflection of the perceived value and quality of the BCM experience in that so many apply from OOS. (While BCM is a private school, they enroll ~ 75% from Texas). There are surely many who apply to BCM as a "reach school" hoping that something might make them stand out among the multitude.

Caught these numbers earlier while otherwise occupied, but the corrected numbers make much more sense. Honestly, looking at the numbers, you can see why they prefer in-state over out-of-state. It may not just be the fact that BCM receives TX funding, but the disparity in IS/OOS matriculation rates.

Caught these numbers earlier while otherwise occupied, but the corrected numbers make much more sense. Honestly, looking at the numbers, you can see why they prefer in-state over out-of-state. It may not just be the fact that BCM receives TX funding, but the disparity in IS/OOS matriculation rates.

BCM rightly bills itself as "the least expensive private medical school in the U.S." In-state tuition is chump change compared to most medical schools (and all schools have added fees that can tally $10k or more).

The BCM face rate for OOS tuition is still also VERY attractive at $19.5k, but the very best students that BCM (ranked as high as # 4 for competitive entry) surely competes for often also have offers from other top schools that might compare favorably. Duke, e.g., boasts that its students graduate with relatively lower debt among private schools.

I think I read somewhere that BCM likes to have 25% from OOS...the new rapid riser at UCF (public) in Orlando has also chosen this target guideline.

I will be leaving for Baylor tomorrow. Any advice on things in the area to check out, or highlights of baylor that I should pay attention to?

-a neurotic interviewee

What was the approx length of you guys' secondary essay response? I'm freaking out because I only wrote a paragraph (~1400 characters). I understand length is pretty irrelevant, I just need someone to reassure me that I'm okay.

Is this the feeling neurotic smiley? :scared:

Show me some love Baylor. :love:

What was the approx length of you guys' secondary essay response? I'm freaking out because I only wrote a paragraph (~1400 characters). I understand length is pretty irrelevant, I just need someone to reassure me that I'm okay.

I was too excited when I got the secondary (it was one of my first, so the now-instinctual disgust reaction to secondaries was not there yet :laugh:), and since I hadn't pre-written anything submit-able at that point, I submitted mine without an essay :p

I will be leaving for Baylor tomorrow. Any advice on things in the area to check out, or highlights of baylor that I should pay attention to?

-a neurotic interviewee

Interview day is very relaxed. Houston is a much cooler city than I anticipated. If you are getting in Thursday night, I think some 1st years are going out for tacos and turtle races (yes, its a thing) and Friday night there will likely be some hanging out and unwinding with the first years.

There may be a few fewer 1st years around during the interview day because we have a practice anatomy practical that a lot of people go to, but if you are looking to do something after the interview day PM me and we can meet up!

Last weekend a bunch of the interviewees came out with the 1st years to the big end of exams party for the 2nd years and it was a total blast. Probably be a bit more tame this week but BCM students are super outgoing and friendly!

Interview day is very relaxed. Houston is a much cooler city than I anticipated. If you are getting in Thursday night, I think some 1st years are going out for tacos and turtle races (yes, its a thing) and Friday night there will likely be some hanging out and unwinding with the first years.

There may be a few fewer 1st years around during the interview day because we have a practice anatomy practical that a lot of people go to, but if you are looking to do something after the interview day PM me and we can meet up!

Last weekend a bunch of the interviewees came out with the 1st years to the big end of exams party for the 2nd years and it was a total blast. Probably be a bit more tame this week but BCM students are super outgoing and friendly!

I was at that party! It got even better once everyone transitioned to the club ;)

-a neurotic interviewee

It's all about the people. We're a good bunch. Also, TMC is a major highlight, but I doubt you will miss it. :)

Mine wasn't very long, and BCM has put up with me for over a year at this point, so it worked out.

Debate are you nontrad?

I'm a non-traditional student in the sense that I took one year off after college.

P.S. I found it to be a huge waste of time. But it strongly reaffirmed my desire to go to medical school.

I'm a non-traditional student in the sense that I took one year off after college.

P.S. I found it to be a huge waste of time. But it strongly reaffirmed my desire to go to medical school.

What did you do that year? Haha

just curious but if we see this:

"Your application is complete and has been reviewed by the committee"

is that essentially a rejection. im not surprised or anything, but im interested in knowing.

how long has it been like that? wait for it to change back to "is being reviewed" that means you're gonna get an II soon! apparently people have been getting II's upto feb or something so just forget about BCM. that way when you get the email for the II, it'll be a pleasant surprise rather than an anticipated event! easier said than done though.

What did you do that year? Haha

I work in healthcare/pharmaceutical business strategy.

So I spend my days developing strategies to optimally price drugs to screw over poor people and convince physicians to prescribe worthless drugs for fake disorders.

lmaoooo sounds like you'll make a great doc.

how long has it been like that? wait for it to change back to "is being reviewed" that means you're gonna get an II soon! apparently people have been getting II's upto feb or something so just forget about BCM. that way when you get the email for the II, it'll be a pleasant surprise rather than an anticipated event! easier said than done though.

Is this actually true, though? I've gone to "is being reviewed" about ~14 days ago, and I definitely don't have an invite. I suspect it's more hearsay than anything.

Is this actually true, though? I've gone to "is being reviewed" about ~14 days ago, and I definitely don't have an invite. I suspect it's more hearsay than anything.

seems to have worked for just about everyone. If you don't mind me asking what are your stats? it might be that there are more competitive applicants and they're just gonna interview them first. you get the email a month before your actual interview. but it works. i doubted it just like you did but it worked for me.

I've been in "is being reviewed" for a little more than a week, so I'm getting skeptical too.

seems to have worked for just about everyone. If you don't mind me asking what are your stats? it might be that there are more competitive applicants and they're just gonna interview them first. you get the email a month before your actual interview. but it works. i doubted it just like you did but it worked for me.

Thanks for the fast response Wacks. My stats are on my MDApps profile (4.0, 34 MCAT). I believe my strengths are in my EC's, letters and essays though (2 FA pubs, 6 years research, etc). What do you think? So if they don't take EC's etc. into account for the initial invite or speed of an invite, then I can see why it's taking so long.

I've been in "is being reviewed" for a little more than a week, so I'm getting skeptical too.

I've been in the 'is being reviewed' phase since 8/1.

Although I did prematurely accept my interview invite, so that might have something to do with the delay.

Spoke too soon. Got that II 30 min ago.

Spoke too soon. Got that II 30 min ago.

Same. Just got an II too! I was in the "has been reviewed" phase for 3-4 weeks, and in "is being reviewed" for over a week, so I guess this is a pretty good predictor, just not an instantaneous one.

Thanks for the fast response Wacks. My stats are on my MDApps profile (4.0, 34 MCAT). I believe my strengths are in my EC's, letters and essays though (2 FA pubs, 6 years research, etc). What do you think? So if they don't take EC's etc. into account for the initial invite or speed of an invite, then I can see why it's taking so long.

good job! awesome stats overall haha

Same. Just got an II too! I was in the "has been reviewed" phase for 3-4 weeks, and in "is being reviewed" for over a week, so I guess this is a pretty good predictor, just not an instantaneous one.

Are you guys able to confirm? I keep getting a redirect loop error when I try to load the page.

Are you guys able to confirm? I keep getting a redirect loop error when I try to load the page.

Nope. Good to know it's not my computer!

Anyone know how receptive they are to rescheduling an interview date? The date the assigned me absolutely doesn't work.

I've been in the 'is being reviewed' phase since 8/1.

Although I did prematurely accept my interview invite, so that might have something to do with the delay.

I prematurely accepted my interview invite and then they just reset it. But the date of the interview remained the same.

I prematurely accepted my interview invite and then they just reset it. But the date of the interview remained the same.

The same thing happened to me.
They reset it and it still showed 1/1/14

Then two weeks after the reset my status said "not valid for this part of the application" or something to that effect.

I know the "has been reviewed" folks were getting "error retrieving record" notice.

I guess Ill be waiting till december-ish before I hear anything from them, if at all.

II yesterday. IS 35+ mcat, 3.7+ gpa, complete mod september