2013-2014 Johns Hopkins University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJMrK

J to the J
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you have already received your bachelor's degree, please describe what you have been doing since graduation, and your plans for the upcoming year. (700 characters)

If you interrupted your college education for a semester or longer, please describe what you did during that time. (700 characters)

List any academic honors or awards you have received since entering college. (600 characters)

Briefly describe your single, most rewarding experience. Feel free to refer to an experience previously described in your AMCAS application. (900 characters)

Are there any areas of medicine that are of particular interest to you? If so, please comment. (1100 characters)

Briefly describe a situation where you had to overcome adversity; include lessons learned and how you think it will affect your career as a future physician. (900 characters)

Briefly describe a situation where you were not in the majority. What did you learn from this experience? (1100 characters)

If applying to the dual MD/MBA program, please describe your reasons for wishing to obtain this degree. (1100 characters)

Best of luck to all.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does anyone know for last year's question about "List any academic honors or awards you have received since entering college", does fellowship money for research (ex. a summer research grant from HHMI) count as academic award?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know for last year's question about "List any academic honors or awards you have received since entering college", does fellowship money for research (ex. a summer research grant from HHMI) count as academic award?

Thanks!

I put my HHMI fellowship award as an academic award :)

Thanks!

I'd use it, but that also depends on how much space you're given and whether you could fill the space with better things. If not, it never hurts to include :thumbup:

So I read that they only allow 3 letters of recommendations. Unfortunately I selected all LoRs for every school on AMCAS and it says you can not remove LoRs from schools after submission. How do I make sure JHU only gets 3 instead of 5, maybe it will let me pick which ones in the secondary? Should I call?

dear jhu,

I'm sorry to inform you that you did not make it into my list of schools for this cycle. best of luck in the future!

Captain sisko

So I read that they only allow 3 letters of recommendations. Unfortunately I selected all LoRs for every school on AMCAS and it says you can not remove LoRs from schools after submission. How do I make sure JHU only gets 3 instead of 5, maybe it will let me pick which ones in the secondary? Should I call?

So what happens there if your school sends a letter packet (which is a single entry on AMCAS)?

So what happens there if your school sends a letter packet (which is a single entry on AMCAS)?

Maybe that is counted as 1 letter? I'm not sure. I have 5 individual letters.

JHU Accepts a letter packet, OR 3 individual letters (2 science, 1 non-science), per their website

JHU Accepts a letter packet, OR 3 individual letters (2 science, 1 non-science), per their website

I still don't understand why schools do it this way. Both of the letters from my PIs blow away my other three letters, by FAR. But instead of reading those, and because I went to a large public university, JHU wants my three somewhat average letters from professors who have taught me instead. Makes complete sense :rolleyes: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Oops...did the same thing :D

I still don't understand why schools do it this way. Both of the letters from my PIs blow away my other three letters, by FAR. But instead of reading those, and because I went to a large public university, JHU wants my three somewhat average letters from professors who have taught me instead. Makes complete sense :rolleyes: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I think you are fine. This is from their official website:

"A recom*mendation from the applicant’s college pre*medical committee or an officially designated premedical advisor is required. If the college does not have a premedical advisor or pre*medical committee, two letters of recommen*dation are required from science faculty mem*bers in science departments who have taught the applicant and one non-science faculty member who has also taught the applicant. Applicants with advanced degrees and/or full time employment are required to submit rec*ommendations from persons who have supervised your work."

There is no indication of a max limit. Also, I think they are going to read your PI letters if you have been working full time in the lab.

Members don't see this ad :)

Where did you see this? Their website said they accept committee letters or letter packets, so I think you should be fine.

Where did you see this? Their website said they accept committee letters or letter packets, so I think you should be fine.

So my 5 individual letters that I have sent to AMCAS is considered 1 letter packet? I thought they are considered 5 letters (2 science, 1 non-science, 2 character).

So my 5 individual letters that I have sent to AMCAS is considered 1 letter packet? I thought they are considered 5 letters (2 science, 1 non-science, 2 character).

Oh my bad - I didn't realize that you meant all your letters are individual ones and are not part of a packet. In that case, you may want to call them. Then again, I didn't see any indication of a max limit on their website, and I don't see why they would not take the additional letters if they seem to be okay with the committee letter/letter packet system.

I made the same mistake and e-mailed them about it. They replied saying its not a big problem, but that the application reviewer will only read 3 of the letters. The reviewer will choose which letters to ignore.

I made the same mistake and e-mailed them about it. They replied saying its not a big problem, but that the application reviewer will only read 3 of the letters. The reviewer will choose which letters to ignore.

Oh great! So if we sent 2 science, 1 non-science, and 2 doctors, they will know to ignore the doctors?

Oh great! So if we sent 2 science, 1 non-science, and 2 doctors, they will know to ignore the doctors?

Not necessarily. It's also possible that they just read the first three they see, and reject the applicant if they are not the proper ones. That's a pessimistic outlook though. I'm guessing they do something closer to what you wrote.

Not necessarily. It's also possible that they just read the first three they see, and reject the applicant if they are not the proper ones. That's a pessimistic outlook though. I'm guessing they do something closer to what you wrote.

Yea that's what I'm scared of. I'll call them to see if there is anything I can do.

So I called admissions and they said don't worry about it. They will look at all of the letters sent from AMCAS. Phewwww!

So I called admissions and they said don't worry about it. They will look at all of the letters sent from AMCAS. Phewwww!

Proof that a well-intentioned call to admissions often outweighs extensive speculation.

Secondary just received

Prompts:

If you have already received your bachelor's degree, please describe what you have been doing since graduation, and your plans for the upcoming year. (700 characters)

If you interrupted your college education for a semester or longer, please describe what you did during that time. (700 characters)

List any academic honors or awards you have received since entering college. (600 characters)

Briefly describe your single, most rewarding experience. Feel free to refer to an experience previously described in your AMCAS application. (900 characters)

Are there any areas of medicine that are of particular interest to you? If so, please comment. (1100 characters)

Briefly describe a situation where you had to overcome adversity; include lessons learned and how you think it will affect your career as a future physician. (900 characters)

Briefly describe a situation where you were not in the majority. What did you learn from this experience? (1100 characters)

If applying to the dual MD/MBA program, please describe your reasons for wishing to obtain this degree. (1100 characters)

Last edited:
Just received the secondary. Good luck everyone! This one will be tough.

Why do these schools insist on us regurgitating our primaries? :lame: Not cool, Hopkins, not cool.

One of the sweetest intros to a secondary e-mail :love:

Anyone know if the character limits include spaces or just letters? My adversity one is at 904 right now with spaces.

Everyone getting secondaries, have you already been verified by AMCAS? Trying to predict when I'll have access to this one since it looks like I won't be verified til late July.
Thanks!

Everyone getting secondaries, have you already been verified by AMCAS? Trying to predict when I'll have access to this one since it looks like I won't be verified til late July.
Thanks!

I was verified when I got it. I think you'll gain access once you become verified.

Well not to be rude, but that's kind of the point - they want to hear from the teachers that love you, but they also care about whether you've expanded beyond 1 or 2 mentors in your discipline, and what the professors say who you haven't worked with as closely. Those can be more revealing than you think.

If you considering a medical and research career - I wjsh I could say its is a utopian world, where all that matters is the Science. but the reality is, cultivating strong relationships and keeping up with other physicians and researchers is a big part of the process.

Well not to be rude, but that's kind of the point - they want to hear from the teachers that love you, but they also care about whether you've expanded beyond 1 or 2 mentors in your discipline, and what the professors say who you haven't worked with as closely. Those can be more revealing than you think.

If you considering a medical and research career - I wjsh I could say its is a utopian world, where all that matters is the Science. but the reality is, cultivating strong relationships and keeping up with other physicians and researchers is a big part of the process.

I don't need a lecture. I just think JHU's LOR requirements are a little archaic. My letters from classroom professors are fine, but my research ones are stronger, and JHU is the only school out of my 24 that has this strict of a requirement.

And I don't know what you're trying to say in your second paragraph, but I'm not just sitting in a lab pushing pipets all day. I've collaborated with almost a dozen people across many departments on projects I've led. I know the importance of creating and developing relationships; this is just harder with classroom professors at a very large public uni. Your response :thumbdown:

I don't need a lecture. I just think JHU's LOR requirements are a little archaic. My letters from classroom professors are fine, but my research ones are stronger, and JHU is the only school out of my 24 that has this strict of a requirement.

And I don't know what you're trying to say in your second paragraph, but I'm not just sitting in a lab pushing pipets all day. I've collaborated with almost a dozen people across many departments on projects I've led. I know the importance of creating and developing relationships; this is just harder with classroom professors at a very large public uni. Your response :thumbdown:

I apologize, I see how that last part must of come across, it was actually just a reflection my own frustrations with the publications process, because I wish it was about what we do, not who we know; and anyway, not really relevant here. So no offense intended. My PI used to review applications, and he gave me the good advice that the system is usually there for a reason, so in cases like this, try to think about why and use it to your advantage. I didn't want you to dismiss it just an annoying quirk; you can use it to you advantage by having something else to talk about during interviews.

Also, you should consider applying MD/PHD.

Best of luck!

I apologize, I see how that last part must of come across, it was actually just a reflection my own frustrations with the publications process, because I wish it was about what we do, not who we know; and anyway, not really relevant here. So no offense intended. My PI used to review applications, and he gave me the good advice that the system is usually there for a reason, so in cases like this, try to think about why and use it to your advantage. I didn't want you to dismiss it just an annoying quirk; you can use it to you advantage by having something else to talk about during interviews.

Also, you should consider applying MD/PHD.

Best of luck!

It's all good dude, no worries. I've experienced somewhat similar frustrations with the pub process (had one rejected solely for political reasons :thumbdown:). Anyway, thanks for the advice, I do appreciate it. And I've considered MD/PhD, but I don't think the time commitment is worth it in my case. I do plan on conducting research throughout my career, though!

It's all good dude, no worries. I've experienced somewhat similar frustrations with the pub process (had one rejected solely for political reasons :thumbdown:). Anyway, thanks for the advice, I do appreciate it. And I've considered MD/PhD, but I don't think the time commitment is worth it in my case. I do plan on conducting research throughout my career, though!

Dudette ;)

JHU admissions policies fun fact #44:
Medical school prerequisite coursework taken at community college is not accepted at JHU med.

Ain't poverty a sonuvabitch?

Reactions: 1 user

My apologies :)

JHU admissions policies fun fact #44:
Medical school prerequisite coursework taken at community college is not accepted at JHU med.

Ain't poverty a sonuvabitch?

Hmm... That could actually start a pretty interesting conversation.

Well, I just submitted my secondary here. Show me some love JHU!

My apologies :)

Hmm... That could actually start a pretty interesting conversation.

Well, I just submitted my secondary here. Show me some love JHU!

I only found out after I submitted my AMCAS; if I knew there was no love for the struggle, I wouldn't have even sent the AMCAS. Bottom like - attended a CC as a broke jock intent on being a gym teacher - had to take bio and chem for that major. Ended up changing my major to biology and transferred to an Ivy with scholarships - I am genuinely shocked that I don't get credit for going so far and starting from so little.

I only found out after I submitted my AMCAS; if I knew there was no love for the struggle, I wouldn't have even sent the AMCAS. Bottom like - attended a CC as a broke jock intent on being a gym teacher - had to take bio and chem for that major. Ended up changing my major to biology and transferred to an Ivy with scholarships - I am genuinely shocked that I don't get credit for going so far and starting from so little.

I'm really sorry, I won't lie, that sucks. Is JHU the only school you've ran into where this is an issue?

I'm really sorry, I won't lie, that sucks. Is JHU the only school you've ran into where this is an issue?

It's certainly not a positive element to my application at any medical school; that being said, all the other places I am applying either accept it no questions asked, or consider it on a case-by-case basis (i.e., extenuating circumstances, e.g., me). JHU is the only school (to my knowledge) that I submitted AMCAS to that has zero-tolerance position on prerequisites at CC.

It's certainly not a positive element to my application at any medical school; that being said, all the other places I am applying either accept it no questions asked, or consider it on a case-by-case basis (i.e., extenuating circumstances, e.g., me). JHU is the only school (to my knowledge) that I submitted AMCAS to that has zero-tolerance position on prerequisites at CC.

Sorry to hear that. Maybe try calling them to explain your circumstance. It can't hurt.