2016-2017 Baylor College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Another weird status change today (with a bullet point!):

• Your application is complete and is being reviewed by the committee. We will let you know as soon as further information is available.

Oh damn son, you got the bullet point status change. Based on last year's thread, that's a good sign!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I hadn't heard about this status change thing till yesterday, so I just checked on it today. I received a complete email on 7/13, and today I checked and it said it is under review. However...there is no bulled point. Do you guys still think it's under the initial review? Is the bullet change what is unique about the change back? BTW sorry for being neurotic.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hadn't heard about this status change thing till yesterday, so I just checked on it today. I received a complete email on 7/13, and today I checked and it said it is under review. However...there is no bulled point. Do you guys still think it's under the initial review? Is the bullet change what is unique about the change back? BTW sorry for being neurotic.
So I read through I good chunk of last year's thread. Their change went like this for MOST people: "is being reviewed" --> "has been reviewed" --> "is being reviewed" with bullet point.

This year, what I have seen on my page is "is currently being reviewed" --> "is being reviewed" -->"is being reviewed" with bullet point. I posted the detail of each message previously. I'm not sure if there is a different sequence of messages this year or not.

We could be in different review stages, so don't freak out if it isn't the same message. Check through what I posted before to see if the message you see matches any one of those.

So I read through I good chunk of last year's thread. Their change went like this for MOST people: "is being reviewed" --> "has been reviewed" --> "is being reviewed" with bullet point.

This year, what I have seen on my page is "is currently being reviewed" --> "is being reviewed" -->"is being reviewed" with bullet point. I posted the detail of each message previously. I'm not sure if there is a different sequence of messages this year or not.

We could be in different review stages, so don't freak out if it isn't the same message. Check through what I posted before to see if the message you see matches any one of those.

Thanks! Mine is currently "is being reviewed". Maybe I'll get to that bullet point, maybe not!

I wonder if Baylor is conducting some kind of study on premed psychology.
Well, last year, IIs came out on 7/28 if I'm correct, so hopefully this week will bring us all good news!

Submitted secondary today! Fingers crossed.

Would you say it's better to submit an essay that speaks to adversity (that kinda explains a grade or two) or to submit one that shows how much you will add to the school and what you plan to add/how?

The thing holding me back from the adversity one is that although it was impactful in my personal life/academic life...it wasn't devastating or something. I just am torn on which essay to use.

Guys! Just called Baylor to ask about the status changes! They said the bullet point message means your app has already been reviewed. I then asked about when the first IIs should come out, and the lady said about 1 month before interviews.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys! Just called Baylor to ask about the status changes! They said the bullet point message means your app has already been reviewed. I then asked about when the first IIs should come out, and the lady said about 1 month before interviews.
I have a bullet point but I can't decide if that's exciting or frightening... #premedprobs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Status update
  • Your application is complete and is being reviewed by the committee. We will let you know as soon as further information is available.
Ahhhh I was wondering why it took me forever to be marked complete haha. So that status change means they've reviewed our application? Dope.

Those of you with bullet points: when did you submit?

Anyone else having issues with the residency questionnaire?

Edit: It is an IT issue. They said wait a few days.

It says:
Your application is complete and is being reviewed by the committee.

Baylor College of Medicine interviews from August through February.

I am confused, I don't have a bullet but says the same thing...
Yeah, the bullet thing is not hard and fast. A couple of posts ago, I detailed the status change progression. See if your message matches one of the ones I posted earlier. You will get there very soon!!

MESSAGE ONE:
Your application is complete and currently being reviewed by the committee.
We will let you know something as soon as we are able.

MESSAGE TWO:
Application Under Review

MESSAGE THREE:
Then the II.

You never know! Keep your hope up!
MESSAGE ONE:
Your application is complete and currently being reviewed by the committee.
We will let you know something as soon as we are able.

MESSAGE TWO:
Application Under Review

MESSAGE THREE:
Then the II.
Well will you look at that, I made it to message 2! Haha, yeah keeping my hope up for sure (part of the reason I applied here). Hoping for that bullet some how some way!

Reactions: 2 users
II this morning! Submitted secondary 7/2 ish. LizzyM-74.5. So honored to have the opportunity to visit this school!

Does anyone know if Baylor takes pre-interview updates? I thought they did and sent them an email, but got a bounceback..

hi guys, new to sdn here! based on your opinions and what you all have seen in the past, do you think submitting my secondary by the end of this week is too late for serious consideration for Baylor? I have a LizzyM score of 76 and ORM! AMCAS has already been verified and everything. Just need to submit my secondary. I would appreciate any input you all have on this matter..thank you!

Also congratulations to all who have received interviews already- well deserved!

Does anyone know if Baylor takes pre-interview updates? I thought they did and sent them an email, but got a bounceback..
Not sure about that. The bounceback is automatic, but I think the e-mail went through. You should get a reply (if they acknowledge that sort of thing) within a few days.

hi guys, new to sdn here! based on your opinions and what you all have seen in the past, do you think submitting my secondary by the end of this week is too late for serious consideration for Baylor? I have a LizzyM score of 76 and ORM! AMCAS has already been verified and everything. Just need to submit my secondary. I would appreciate any input you all have on this matter..thank you!

Also congratulations to all who have received interviews already- well deserved!
You're not even close to late yet. Throw your hat in the ring! I pray you get good news!!

Anyone else having trouble with the pre-interview residency questionnaire? Mine keeps displaying a server error.

Do y'all think a LizzyM score of 69 is worth taking a shot? I think I have a compelling story but I also have no research experience although I am mainly interested in primary care. I know my stats are within the 10th percentile but Baylor is my dream school. I am a TX resident.

Do y'all think a LizzyM score of 69 is worth taking a shot? I think I have a compelling story but I also have no research experience although I am mainly interested in primary care. I know my stats are within the 10th percentile but Baylor is my dream school. I am a TX resident.

I'm not sure (don't know enough about Baylor to help you, and am also a lost premed applying right now - sorry haha), but would also be interested in hearing any opinions on how top research schools view an app that overwhelmingly leans towards primary care? Very curious

Not completely sure, but I would think that medical schools want all types of people. As long as you show interest in what their school has to offer, you should be good to go. for top research schools, they offer great research opportunities but they also offer a lot of other things unique to their school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile