2016-2017 Baylor College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do y'all think a LizzyM score of 69 is worth taking a shot? I think I have a compelling story but I also have no research experience although I am mainly interested in primary care. I know my stats are within the 10th percentile but Baylor is my dream school. I am a TX resident.

My thinking is that if your stats are within their range, that means they have accepted students with those same (or maybe lower) qualifications. So yes, you should definitely take a shot! You'll never know unless you try anyways!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

How long did it take for people to get the "bullet-point message" from the "Application Under Review" message?

Reactions: 3 users
How long did it take for people to get the "bullet-point message" from the "Application Under Review" message?
Well I submitted AMCAS and the BCM Supplemental first day they were available (2e 7/1) and haven't received the bullet point yet so :X

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does baylor college of medicine feel any type of negative emotions towards a student earning a few prerequisites at a community college? Sadly, due to financial reasons, I had to take the 1 year of general biology and general chemistry 1 at a community college, then I will be transferring to a university to complete the remaining premed prerequisites along with the bachelor's of science in biomedical science.

Would they be receptive to pre-II update letters through email?

For those IS with IIs, the Residency questionnaire is up and running now! Completely forgot about this for a while. They said just make sure you complete it before the interview.

anyone get the bullet point recently?

I wish! I've been waiting about 2.5 weeks now which isn't too long but this whole med school process is going to test my patience haha

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone interviewing at Baylor of August 26th and Southwestern on the 27th? Would you be interested in carpooling? My wife and I need a way to get there? Anyone have any ideas of the best way to get from Houston to Dallas without taking a big hit to the wallet? Thanks!

Anyone interviewing at Baylor of August 26th and Southwestern on the 27th? Would you be interested in carpooling? My wife and I need a way to get there? Anyone have any ideas of the best way to get from Houston to Dallas without taking a big hit to the wallet? Thanks!
My dad will be taking me right after the BCM interview to dallas. Do you have accommodation set up in Dallas? PM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I got the bullet point status change a few days ago. Does that mean an II is coming or just that they're done reviewing my app? Also, how soon after the bullet point appears did y'all hear more news from Baylor?

So I got the bullet point status change a few days ago. Does that mean an II is coming or just that they're done reviewing my app? Also, how soon after the bullet point appears did y'all hear more news from Baylor?
How long after the previous update did you get the bullet point?

so has anyone had a situation this cycle or seen something in the past cycle where someone got the bullet point and DIDN'T get an interview? Or anyone this cycle who got the bullet point A LONG time ago and still hasn't gotten an interview invite? and by long time i guess i mean before the first round of interviews this cycle went out!

I was verified this morning (8/11) and have been checking the BCM status check site (submitted secondary 8/2/16) and it still shows an error message.

Should I be worried?

I was verified this morning (8/11) and have been checking the BCM status check site (submitted secondary 8/2/16) and it still shows an error message.

Should I be worried?
No it takes a couple of days for the status check site to be updated

has anyone gotten interview invites since the first round that went out on 7/26?

I got one a few days ago. I think they're slowly reviewing apps and inviting people
Congratulations! Which day did you get the invite and how long after your status entered the bullet point phase did you get the email?

Congratulations! Which day did you get the invite and how long after your status entered the bullet point phase did you get the email?

Thanks! I got the email Tuesday. Not sure about the bullet point because my mind has been drawn to other things and I haven't been checking haha

I am a current MS2 at Baylor but originally from Dallas, and I take the megabus home pretty frequently. It takes about the same time as driving (3-3.5 hrs) and has Wifi so you can work/study. It's about $20-30, and they usually have an early morning, mid morning, early evening, and late night bus on Fridays. Just in case your other accommodations don't work out. Good luck at your interviews!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm also here as a reference if anyone has any general BCM questions! I'm less familiar with the application/interview process (ask some of the nice new MS1s on here for that), but I can answer any curriculum/culture questions anyone has.

I am a current MS2 at Baylor but originally from Dallas, and I take the megabus home pretty frequently. It takes about the same time as driving (3-3.5 hrs) and has Wifi so you can work/study. It's about $20-30, and they usually have an early morning, mid morning, early evening, and late night bus on Fridays. Just in case your other accommodations don't work out. Good luck at your interviews!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm also here as a reference if anyone has any general BCM questions! I'm less familiar with the application/interview process (ask some of the nice new MS1s on here for that), but I can answer any curriculum/culture questions anyone has.
Could you please describe the block and exam schedules? I've heard people say they have a lot of exams in one week and was wondering how it all works exactly...

Could you please describe the block and exam schedules? I've heard people say they have a lot of exams in one week and was wondering how it all works exactly...

First year:
2 fall blocks- after each block: 1 exam for basic sciences class and 1* anatomy exam
End of fall- cumulative exam
3 spring blocks- after each block: 2 or 3 exams organized by course (IE: 1 for Immunology, 1 for Infectious Disease, etc) and 1 anatomy exam

Second year (which is actually only a semester):
5 fall blocks- after each block: 2 exams- organized by course (for instance, right now we are doing Cardiology and Heme/Onc)
End fall- cumulative End of Basic Sciences Exam

Half way through the block, each class will give a take-home, open-book, collaborative midterm so that you can assess your progress. The majority of the class gets together one evening and we spend 1 hr taking the exam on our own and then 1 hr going over the answers together so that everyone gets 100% (this counts towards your class grade, yay!) and gets to see how they would have done alone.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bottomline- you could have anywhere from 2-4 tests during exam week. They step this up gradually, so your first 2 blocks you only have 2 exams during the week (bonus: you get the rest of the week off) and then you gradually add more. I really don't think it's that bad though because it's not like you can cram for these kinds of tests. You have either been learning it all along or not. Plus it's pass/fail. It's almost nice to get all of your exams done at once and then not have to stress for a month or two. It also gives you a lot of flexibility to travel/go home (I went to Canada for a week this past term- did fine).

Hope this helps!

*Note: the anatomy exams are broken down into multiple choice "written" exam and a pinned practical exam, which actually take place at 2 different times (usually on the same day) because you have to be in lab for one and in the classroom for the other.

TL;DR: blocks every 1-2 months, 2-4 exams the week after each block, not too overwhelming, potentially even preferable

Last edited:
can someone please tell me what the bullet point thing is? Mine just changed to the "Your Application is complete and is being reviewed by the committee" notification.

Transmitted 8/11, supplementary submitted 8/2

EDIT: Nevermind I read through this thread haha

Last edited:
can someone please tell me what the bullet point thing is? Mine just changed to the "Your Application is complete and is being reviewed by the committee" notification.

Transmitted 8/11, supplementary submitted 8/2
Go to page 3 of this thread and read all the comments. But really, as long as you have confirmation that your application is complete, just check your email daily and your application portal for each school, if any, once or twice a week.

Go to page 3 of this thread and read all the comments. But really, as long as you have confirmation that your application is complete, just check your email daily and your application portal for each school, if any, once or twice a week.
Yeah, thanks so much. That's the plan

Really hoping this school shows me some love.

Last edited:
for those of you that got interview invites, did you see a status change on the status check page afterwards? a

Just noticed the bullet point! Hopefully I'll hear something soon! Preferably good news ahh

Complete 7/19 and II today. About a week passed between the time I got the bullet point to when I got the II.

All my portal says " your application has already been submitted no changes are allowed"

What is this check box? Or where is? Getting worried..

just out of curiosity, does anyone know how much of their class baylor takes from early decision?

MESSAGE ONE:
Your application is complete and currently being reviewed by the committee.
We will let you know something as soon as we are able.

MESSAGE TWO:
Your application is complete and is being reviewed by the committee.
Baylor College of Medicine interviews from August through February.
Application Under Review

MESSAGE THREE:
  • Your application is complete and is being reviewed by the committee. We will let you know as soon as further information is available.
Then the II.

Status change from Message 1 to Message 2 today. Complete 8/11, secondary submit 8/2

super super hope i get an II and then an acceptance from this place. love bcm so much

Last edited:
I submitted on 07/24 and no bullet point yet but people after me have gotten it! I guess timing isn't everything--my stats are a bit below what they want so that's probably why? idk

I submitted on 07/24 and no bullet point yet but people after me have gotten it! I guess timing isn't everything--my stats are a bit below what they want so that's probably why? idk
Submitted 7/23, still no bullet point. I'm out of state, though, they might look at us later.