2017-2018 Johns Hopkins University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
These should be the final full packages, Hopkins does not offer any merit-based aid. Back when the MSAR showed average grad debt they were in the lowest 5 iirc.

They are extremely generous if they identify you as high need. However they calculate need slightly differently than some other schools - they use the CSS which asks for a lot more details about investments and assets, for example what the current value of your home is compared to when it was purchased. If you're surprised at your aid values relative to your parent's annual income, chances are they have a lot more in assets/savings/investments. Unfortunately in these cases, other schools that use only the FAFSA (that is, that look only at income and not properties/investments) will likely offer much better need-based aid than Hopkins.
Thanks for the clarification. It's rough because I've been financially independent for 5 years now, yet every school looks at parental income as well. I guess I just have to deal with the debt.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the clarification. It's rough because I've been financially independent for 5 years now, yet every school looks at parental income as well. I guess I just have to deal with the debt.
It's a broken system, but a necessary evil. If schools stopped looking at parent finances when people had been in the workforce a few years, suddenly a few years working would become the norm to save wealthy parents hundreds of thousands. FWIW, even double the average debt is still about the national median!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
rejected! is it weird to say that after 6 waitlists its kinda nice to not be led on anymore? congrats to everyone accepted!

Is anybody sure they're coming here? I want to start looking for housing lol. Is it too early?

Accepted!!!!

For future readers: interviewing at the very end does NOT mean you’re interviewing for the waitlist!

Reactions: 6 users
Is anybody sure they're coming here? I want to start looking for housing lol. Is it too early?
I was told by my student interviewer M4 that housing in Baltimore is a bit different than it would be in a collegetown and that apartment hunting 1-2 months before is perfectly reasonable (I believe he mentioned looking early may to move in mid-June)

Last year I started looking in May. I would start looking at prices to get an idea what the different areas cost, but landlords only post a month or two in advance and won't hold a place for you for very long unless you want to pay rent before you move, never hurts to try though.

One of my favorite parts about Baltimore is that you can rent a house (splitting with others) for as cheap as an apartment and there are some nice places in Fells.

I was told by my student interviewer M4 that housing in Baltimore is a bit different than it would be in a collegetown and that apartment hunting 1-2 months before is perfectly reasonable (I believe he mentioned looking early may to move in mid-June)
Awesome, thanks for the info!

Last year I started looking in May. I would start looking at prices to get an idea what the different areas cost, but landlords only post a month or two in advance and won't hold a place for you for very long unless you want to pay rent before you move, never hurts to try though.

One of my favorite parts about Baltimore is that you can rent a house (splitting with others) for as cheap as an apartment and there are some nice places in Fells.
Thanks! What are your views on the 929 apartments? I know they are close by, but I've also heard the location isn't that great (food desert, lack of fun places nearby, etc).

Accepted also!!!! complete Sept, interviewed early Jan. Very very happy and grateful!!!! Are you late acceptees also trying to rally for 2nd look?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected, v sad : / I really thought my interview went very well and my letter of intent was strong. I guess end of the day they couldn't look past my stats (<10th percentile)

Congrats to all those accepted!

Thanks! What are your views on the 929 apartments? I know they are close by, but I've also heard the location isn't that great (food desert, lack of fun places nearby, etc).

I am personally not a fan of 929, I think you can get more for your money and there are better places to live. Some people really like them though.

Accepted also!!!! complete Sept, interviewed early Jan. Very very happy and grateful!!!! Are you late acceptees also trying to rally for 2nd look?

I got accepted this time last year and went to 2nd look, it was a great weekend. Would encourage everyone to come if they can.

Interviewed mid February and accepted today! Unfortunately already bought my tickets to Boston for Harvard's revisit so I guess I won't be attending second look. Why would they overlap their accepted students days?

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed mid February and accepted today! Unfortunately already bought my tickets to Boston for Harvard's revisit so I guess I won't be attending second look. Why would they overlap their accepted students days?
I don't know but there are sooooo many on that weekend!!!

I'm also looking for roommates right now! Pm me if you want to talk

I've heard all the top schools compete with each other by having SLWs on the same dates!

I've heard all the top schools compete with each other by having SLWs on the same dates!

I guess it helps weed out who prioritizes another school right off the bat but it also doesn't allow them the opportunity to make an impression on students who aren't heavily considering them already

It's a broken system, but a necessary evil. If schools stopped looking at parent finances when people had been in the workforce a few years, suddenly a few years working would become the norm to save wealthy parents hundreds of thousands. FWIW, even double the average debt is still about the national median!
To follow up on this for anyone who might be in a similar predicament, talk to the financial aid office. They were very helpful with regards to my situation and sent me additional resources to check out. I'm happy with the way it turned out.

If anyone's looking for a roommate, feel free to PM me! I've heard finding housing in Baltimore can be tough.

Accepted! :D Interviewed mid-Feb. Can't wait to meet everyone at second look!

Is there anyone else that turned in all of their financial aid stuff before the priority deadline and still hasn’t heard back about aid? I’m starting to worry that I did something wrong or missed something!

Is there anyone else that turned in all of their financial aid stuff before the priority deadline and still hasn’t heard back about aid? I’m starting to worry that I did something wrong or missed something!
Did you get an email with an ID to sign onto the financial aid website? There was an extra questionnaire I had to fill out. Day after, my financial aid package was emailed.

Did you get an email with an ID to sign onto the financial aid website? There was an extra questionnaire I had to fill out. Day after, my financial aid package was emailed.

Nope. :( Was the financial aid website SIS? I'm a current student here, so it might be something to do with that? I guess I'll email them next if I don't hear anything.

Anyone have any insight as to how many people are WL'd and how many are accepted off the waitlist?

Definitely going to be attending JHUSOM and looking for roommates! PM if you would like to talk!

Just curious to know if anyone who was admitted at the end of March got their financial aid package yet? I’m in that batch and haven’t heard yet

Just curious to know if anyone who was admitted at the end of March got their financial aid package yet? I’m in that batch and haven’t heard yet
Yes, I got it the day after I filled out the last form on NetPortal

Hey people going to second look - what are you wearing? Is it more casual, like jeans and a nice shirt, or more dressy, like business casual?

Do updates make any difference after we've been waitlisted? I know the waitlist is ranked, but not sure if they re-evaluate your application at any point. If any current students could chime in with insight, that would be greatly appreciated!

Hey people going to second look - what are you wearing? Is it more casual, like jeans and a nice shirt, or more dressy, like business casual?

I'm not sure about the dress code either, so I'm bringing one business casual outfit just in case.

I'm not sure about the dress code either, so I'm bringing one business casual outfit just in case.

IIRC there was maybe one day last year that was business casual (I think it was Friday?), everything else should be casual though.

When do students start looking for housing here?

Last edited:

IIRC there was maybe one day last year that was business casual (I think it was Friday?), everything else should be casual though.
Per the email sent yesterday: Dress code: On Friday, attendees will be interacting with professors at various events during the day, so please dress in business casual! Individuals attending the URM brunch on Sunday should also dress in business casual that day. All other days will be casual. Please wear your SLW shirt on Sunday for the Colleges Carnival!

Does anyone know how you can submit updates? I don't see anything on the portal.

Johns Hopkins Music Video out!

Will be withdrawing soon. GL to you waitlisted candidates.