2018-2019 Yale University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is anyone else thinking about using the optional section to write "Why Yale?" or is the consensus that it's reserved for more serious things

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone else thinking about using the optional section to write "Why Yale?" or is the consensus that it's reserved for more serious things

I initially left it blank, but then chose to write a "Why Yale?" and the friend (incoming M1) reviewing my draft preferred the version where I answered the optional section, saying it was a good use of the prompt.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nobody else is being helpful so I guess I will fill in. Long post coming your way, folks.

hey guys! do you think talking about my love to music, playing in the band experience and music therapy exp in the hosital are diverse enough?
The diversity essay is about you. If you think you're diverse, then you are. Nobody is looking for the proverbial unicorn. Think of the prompt as "What makes you, you" and just write the honest answer.
I'm curious to know how some of y'all approached the second prompt about research, specifically where it asks how our experiences would "contribute to scholarship at Yale School of Medicine". Specifically, how are you interpreting "scholarship"? As of now, I've discussed my past research experiences, fields of interest, and professional goals in research but I haven't mentioned too much about writing a thesis in medical school or med school specific programs. Thoughts?
At your stage, scholarship = research. Don't overthink it. The question is about how you think you would be involved in research here, so just answer that.
when talking about past applications, I said that I applied to med school for the class of 2016 and not 2020.... my brain just automatically filled in the phrase "entering" class of 2016. I re-read my essays so many times as did two mentors and none of us caught this.

is this as big of a deal as I'm thinking it is? thank you!
0 people will ask, 0 people will care. You submitted your secondary already so give yourself a well-deserved pat on the back and move on to the better things in life now!
Absent specific instructions from the school, e.g., "Please reserve this section to explain any disciplinary action or other aberration in your application," there can never be a consensus about usage of the optional section. Use it however you'd like, just make sure what you write adds value to your app, which means don't use it on a paragraph explaining your C+ in Physics II or something else of similarly insignificant importance.

Reactions: 1 user
In the "Activity Snapshot" I accidentally put the wrong start date for one of my activities (2014-2017 instead of 2015-2017).... It's marked as 2015-2017 on my primary. Am I screwed? There's no way to update this, right? Ugh I'm so mad at myself

In the "Activity Snapshot" I accidentally put the wrong start date for one of my activities (2014-2017 instead of 2015-2017).... It's marked as 2015-2017 on my primary. Am I screwed? There's no way to update this, right? Ugh I'm so mad at myself
I really doubt anyone will notice little things. Even if they do, people understand small mistakes are made. Take a chill pill! Relax, don't get yourself into a twisty for little reason. Keep the big picture in mind

Reactions: 4 users
IIs started Aug 1 last year, anyone hear anything?

Research is essential to patient care, and all students at Yale School of Medicine complete a research thesis. Tell us how your research interests, skills and experiences would contribute to scholarship at Yale School of Medicine. MD/PhD applicants: Please answer this question as it pertains to your proposed PhD research.

MSTP people: how did you approach this question? I am not sure I understand about our proposed PhD research; the way the original question is phrased makes me want to write a standard "how I fit with this school" essay in the context of research, but the last part about MD/PhD applicants makes me think they are asking me to write a mini research proposal of sorts. I guess I just don't understand what exactly should be different about the two versions of this essay, save for adding in a line about the particular PhD program I want to affiliate with and how my previous experiences have prepared me to contribute to that program...

MSTP people: how did you approach this question? I am not sure I understand about our proposed PhD research; the way the original question is phrased makes me want to write a standard "how I fit with this school" essay in the context of research, but the last part about MD/PhD applicants makes me think they are asking me to write a mini research proposal of sorts. I guess I just don't understand what exactly should be different about the two versions of this essay, save for adding in a line about the particular PhD program I want to affiliate with and how my previous experiences have prepared me to contribute to that program...
I wrote broadly about my research interests and then honed in on a particular strength at Yale that blends with that interest and how I’d like my PhD to complement my clinical training

I wrote broadly about my research interests and then honed in on a particular strength at Yale that blends with that interest and how I’d like my PhD to complement my clinical training
Thanks, this helps! I feel like I am going to have to really make sure this one doesn't come out too similar to the MD/PhD statement essay that follows.

Anyone else receive a secondary before being verified? I'm still a couple days away from verification but got one this morning.
This is standard. Yale sees that you've submitted a primary to them so they send you a secondary. What happens with verification at AAMC HQ doesn't have anything to do with them. However, your file won't be reviewed until everything is verified and submitted.

For the second essay, what exactly does "training future physicians to care for communities and populations" mean?

Members don't see this ad :)
MD PhD people, how are you distinguishing the first and second essays? I feel like you could write very similar things for both :(

Is anyone else having trouble paying the application fee? the system keeps saying that my payment is being declined and not marking my fee status as paid, but my card is still getting charged. my card is working fine elsewhere. any help would be much appreciated!!

For the second essay, what exactly does "training future physicians to care for communities and populations" mean?
Sounds like preventive medicine to me.
The point of this type of question is to get your interpretation of what you think it means. Don't blindly follow what someone else is saying on the interwebs. Every essay should show the admissions committee a little bit more about who you are and how you see the world. Interpreting this entire prompt as one that's simply asking you about preventative medicine would be horribly misguided.

Reactions: 1 users
The point of this type of question is to get your interpretation of what you think it means. Don't blindly follow what someone else is saying on the interwebs. Every essay should show the admissions committee a little bit more about who you are and how you see the world. Interpreting this entire prompt as one that's simply asking you about preventative medicine would be horribly misguided.

True, I should have elaborated that I personally spoke about my own activities in the community and tied them to this and how understanding the patient population I'm serving can help treat them better etc. Preventive medicine was probably not the best way of summarizing all that.

MD PhD people, how are you distinguishing the first and second essays? I feel like you could write very similar things for both :(
I had the same problem. Not sure if what I did was any good because my answers are a little similar at the end of the day. For the first one, I essentially focused more on my research background, very lightly touched on what I want to do going forward, and discussed how both of those mesh with Yale's programs and the Yale System. With that one, I basically tried to give compelling evidence that they should want me for what I have to offer as much as I want them for what they have to offer. For the second one, I addressed the specific question of why I want to do MD/PhD vs MD-only, then I again talk about the research I want to do as a physician-scientist and as an MSTP student (in more detail than the first), and finally I explained how the program I want to do at Yale will help me to that end. So...they did turn out pretty similar...

True, I should have elaborated that I personally spoke about my own activities in the community and tied them to this and how understanding the patient population I'm serving can help treat them better etc. Preventive medicine was probably not the best way of summarizing all that.
Yeah I don't mean to say you were wrong, just didn't want the other poster, who seems to be an SDN noob given post count of 2, to get the wrong idea and take it in a completely off direction if that's not his own interpretation or experience.

Did you guys use all the allotted space? I've used about 400/500 words for each of the prompts and feel that I've said what I need to ... Also, I've incorporated quite a bit of "Why Yale" into the two required responses and have nothing groundbreaking to add for the optional essay. Do you think it's actually okay to leave it blank or should I come up with something?

Did you guys use all the allotted space? I've used about 400/500 words for each of the prompts and feel that I've said what I need to ... Also, I've incorporated quite a bit of "Why Yale" into the two required responses and have nothing groundbreaking to add for the optional essay. Do you think it's actually okay to leave it blank or should I come up with something?

I used between 400-500 words for each. Better to be concise than to be labeled a space filler

completely unexpected II today!!

Reactions: 14 users
II this morning so surprised!!!

Reactions: 8 users
anyone complete after 7/16 get an II?

im-not-saying-im-jealous-meme.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
Me! I was complete 7/19 I believe

Okay awesome I was complete 7/19 so I can still keeep my hopes up :)

Reactions: 2 users
II!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Hope to see you all on interview day!!! Proud of and excited for you guys :’)

Just got an II and I honestly cannot believe this

Sent from my LG-H811 using SDN mobile

Is anyone having issues for paying application fee? I am getting a message saying "Your order was declined. Please verify your information" :(

Anyone receive info about potentially staying with a student host for interviews?

Anyone receive info about potentially staying with a student host for interviews?
it's on the website they refer you to, not the email

Is anyone having issues for paying application fee? I am getting a message saying "Your order was declined. Please verify your information" :(
try Amex instead of using Visa, that should fix the prob

Dont worry guys, I think today's batch was mostly URMs, hopefully that means the rest of us will be hearing something soon :)