2019-2020 Brown (Alpert)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Brown University

Members don't see this ad.

Secondary received, OOS, non-alum

Do you have significant limitations on your interview availability for the 2019-2020 admissions cycle?

Summarize your activities during the 2019-2020 academic year. Describe how your activities are preparing you for a medical career. (2000 characters)

How will your unique attributes (e.g., cultural or socioeconomic background, lifestyle, work experiences) add to the overall diversity of the Alpert Medical School community? (2000 characters)

What are your aspirations for your medical practice? Fast-forward to 15 years in the future: where do you imagine yourself? (3000 characters)

@PapaGuava

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received!

Summarize your activities during the 2019-2020 academic year. Describe how your activities are preparing you for a medical career.

How do you guys think this essay should be formatted? I was thinking of just putting a list with a short blurb explaining each one. Is that ok, or should I put it into proper paragraphs?

Secondary received!

How do you guys think this essay should be formatted? I was thinking of just putting a list with a short blurb explaining each one. Is that ok, or should I put it into proper paragraphs?

Prob doesn’t matter but I’m just going to put a few sentences.

Reactions: 1 user
Secondary received! Good luck everyone :thumbup:

When filling out their course competencies, their website says "two courses with a grade of B or higher, covering cell biology and genetics (lab experience is highly recommended)" for bio. I was a little thrown off by the description, but I assume they're asking us to list our 2 semesters of intro bio? Rather than listing 2 upper div courses...?

• Wow
When filling out their course competencies, their website says "two courses with a grade of B or higher, covering cell biology and genetics (lab experience is highly recommended)" for bio. I was a little thrown off by the description, but I assume they're asking us to list our 2 semesters of intro bio? Rather than listing 2 upper div courses...?

I would assume so. In context, intro biology at Brown is only one course, and most students place out of it, so two semesters of intro bio technically wouldn't be possible from any Brown student. PLME students are given the same requirement of two biology courses with B or higher for continuation into Alpert.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone else have a hard time filling up the question about future career? I feel like I wrote quite a bit, but am still 1200 characters under the limit. I know I don't need to completely fill it up, but it feels like a lot to leave open.

Did anyone else have a hard time filling up the question about future career? I feel like I wrote quite a bit, but am still 1200 characters under the limit. I know I don't need to completely fill it up, but it feels like a lot to leave open.

I already submitted and mine was about that long, too. I think it’s fine.

Does Brown screen? I still have not gotten a secondary yet :(

What are you putting down for number of semester hours? Is that just the credit number? Or are you actually multiplying out the numbers spent in the course for the semester.

What are you putting down for number of semester hours? Is that just the credit number? Or are you actually multiplying out the numbers spent in the course for the semester.

Credit hours.

Brown doesnt require lab courses for chem or physics??

Did you all just fill out the minimum requirements for each competency? Do I need to list all of the courses taken in each competency?

Did you all just fill out the minimum requirements for each competency? Do I need to list all of the courses taken in each competency?

If I remember correctly, they ask you ONLY list the minimum requirements

For the aspirations question, did you guys also mention your interest in a specific specialty (and experience to describe why you're interested)?

For the aspirations question, did you guys also mention your interest in a specific specialty (and experience to describe why you're interested)?

I did not talk about specialty mainly because I do not know. But I talked about wanting to do academic medicine and the roles I would like to play as a physician (ex: advocate) backing it up with past experiences.

I am having the same problem! 3000 words! Nice to hear I'm not alone and that it isn't expected to meet the word count

I am having the same problem! 3000 words! Nice to hear I'm not alone and that it isn't expected to meet the word count
Well, thank you to this thread because I miswrote the requirement as 3000 words not characters on my document. :bang:

Hi friends! Are you using the 3000 word prompt as an opportunity to also answer why brown? They have scholarly concentrations on their website, but I am unsure if I should include them!

Hi friends! Are you using the 3000 word prompt as an opportunity to also answer why brown? They have scholarly concentrations on their website, but I am unsure if I should include them!
I've got the same question! I wanted to incorporate how one of the scholarly concentrations would help my future career goals but now I'm not too sure.

I've got the same question! I wanted to incorporate how one of the scholarly concentrations would help my future career goals but now I'm not too sure.
I incorporated a sentence or two about a scholarly concentration into my diversity essay since it pretty exactly related to what I was talking about. I think if it relates well and you have time, it makes sense to include.

How long after your amcas verification did you guys receive the secondary?

How long after your amcas verification did you guys receive the secondary?

It took about 10 days for me, but I was verified July 8, so a little later and after after traffic day

so this might sound dumb, but does brown have no way of retrieving a forgotten password? I've been looking around for an hour and can't find a way to reset it

How directly are y'all answering the 15-years portion of the aspirations essay? I feel kind of ridiculous straight up listing or even describing what I might be doing or have accomplished 15 years down the line. Instead I've written this about what areas I'm interested in and what I know I'll be working towards or in, but not really framing it closely to "15 years" nor have I even used the phrase "15 years"

How directly are y'all answering the 15-years portion of the aspirations essay? I feel kind of ridiculous straight up listing or even describing what I might be doing or have accomplished 15 years down the line. Instead I've written this about what areas I'm interested in and what I know I'll be working towards or in, but not really framing it closely to "15 years" nor have I even used the phrase "15 years"
I think they just picked 15 years so that no matter what specialty+fellowships you end up choosing, you can expect to be done with training at that point. I just talked about what kind of career I want to have and the specialty im leaning towards, and then why

Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone else still waiting on secondary? I am aware that everyone gets one, so not looking for “don’t worry”... looking to see how long I wait until I contact them that I never received one. Verified 2 weeks ago. Thanks.

Is anyone else still waiting on secondary? I am aware that everyone gets one, so not looking for “don’t worry”... looking to see how long I wait until I contact them that I never received one. Verified 2 weeks ago. Thanks.
Hey, idk if this is helpful, but I was verified 7/9 and received my secondary 9 days later. Maybe it's worth asking at this point!

I'm in a similar situation, it's been over 10 days and I haven't received a secondary. Did you happen to reach out to them?

I'm in a similar situation, it's been over 10 days and I haven't received a secondary. Did you happen to reach out to them?
It took about 1-2 weeks after I was verified to get my secondary from Brown (verified end of June). Might just take time for them to register your app and send a secondary

not yet...thinking I will call or email tomorrow.

Apparently mine was "lost" and they are resending. You may want to email them ASAP!

Can you please clarify... mutiple posts here say 3000 WORDS...pretty sure its 3000 CHARACTERS. A big difference.