2019-2020 Oakland (Beaumont)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted!! I interviewed on 10/25

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
waitlisted, interviewed 10/25 :/ don’t know how to feel but there’s hope! anyone know how the waitlist movement is here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how much waitlist movement this school has?
waitlisted, interviewed 10/25 :/ don’t know how to feel but there’s hope! anyone know how the waitlist movement is here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In the past, the school will inform you of your place on the waitlist after interviews are complete. First tier = very good chance of getting in, a lot of movement. Second tier = kinda 50/50. Third tier = essentially a rejection.

Reactions: 1 users
oops. I was put on the WL last Thursday (11/21) but withdrew from the WL/school yesterday. Best of luck everyone!!
How did you do this? I didn’t think it was an option until the end of the cycle lol thinking about doing the same. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
How did you do this? I didn’t think it was an option until the end of the cycle lol thinking about doing the same. Thanks!
I emailed them and wrote:
"To Whom It May Concern:

I would like to request that my application be formally withdrawn.

Thank you for the invitation and consideration,
limeyguydr"

and added my AMCAS # in the subject line and after my name in the signature!

I emailed them and wrote:
"To Whom It May Concern:

I would like to request that my application be formally withdrawn.

Thank you for the invitation and consideration,
limeyguydr"

and added my AMCAS # in the subject line and after my name in the signature!
Great, thanks again. Just didn’t know if it was through the portal or not. I would rather let them know now so potentially WL movement could be better for others in the spring.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Great, thanks again. Just didn’t know if it was through the portal or not. I would rather let them know now so potentially WL movement could be better for others in the spring.
No problem at all! They don't have a way in their portal, unfortunately, so you have to email them.

Got a call from OUWB Financial Services...I got super excited, thinking it was a scholarship offer, but they just wanted information

Got a call from OUWB Financial Services...I got super excited, thinking it was a scholarship offer, but they just wanted information

If you are apart of the OUWB Class of 2024 facebook page, Dean Kallenberger posted that these financial aid calls will be coming out starting last week.

I knew this and I still got excited thinking it was about a scholarship lol rip

Last edited:
Should we expect any admissions decisions or scholarship offers to go out this week?

A few questions if any current students are willing to answer here or via DM:

-Thoughts on h/p/f curriculum and semi-mandatory attendance? How many hours are you in class each day?
-What's the patient population like at WB hospitals? Does it feel like an overabundance of med students/residents for the # of attendings?
-Would love to hear any thoughts about student stress levels/what the culture is like/whether you have personal relationships with faculty? Is it challenging to find research opportunities?

Thanks so much!

A few questions if any current students are willing to answer here or via DM:

-Thoughts on h/p/f curriculum and semi-mandatory attendance? How many hours are you in class each day?
-What's the patient population like at WB hospitals? Does it feel like an overabundance of med students/residents for the # of attendings?
-Would love to hear any thoughts about student stress levels/what the culture is like/whether you have personal relationships with faculty? Is it challenging to find research opportunities?

Thanks so much!
As a student, I do not mind h/p/f curriculum. Everyone can get honors so I do not feel it adds competition. The environment is very collaborative (my class shares resources in our facebook group). If you have specific questions regarding h/p/f then feel free to ask. I also do not mind the attendance policy (which is not the case for everyone). I enjoy knowing and seeing my classmates on a more regular basis and I enjoy knowing who is lecturing us. Attendance only matters if you intend to get honors. Also to clarify, you need 70% attendance to earn honors however amongst the classes there are some that are mandatory for all to attend. This includes histology labs, pathology labs, microbiology labs, patient panels, TBLs, APM, etc.

How long you're in class depends on semester/organ system. I would say first semester you are in class 8-5 or 4 with a 1-2 hour lunch break. There's usually no more than 6 lectures a day cause any more than that is too much. You are not necessarily always in lecture too since a lot of the mandatory classes are hands-on type of things. After that, organ systems are usually pretty front-loaded meaning you'll be in class 8-3 or 4 for the first couple of weeks but then the last week or 2 of the organ system is largely open for white space studying.

Patient population varies widely at WB hospitals in regards to race, religion, socioeconomic status, etc.

# of med students/residents per attendings can vary depending on rotation. Just depends on how that particular clerkship is setup. In third year the class is split into "tracks" which is the order in which you complete your rotations. Each track is only about 20 students so that's how many students would be on your particular rotation with you at any given time and that is split amongst inpatient/outpatient offices and all the various attendings/residents so very rarely would there be more than one or two students working with a resident/attending. Rumor on the street is that the school is increasing the amount of tracks and therefore decreasing amount of students per rotation. Not sure if this is true or how this will play out but I think it is something they are looking at to add an elective into third year which is awesome for students!

Medical school is stressful no matter what but I feel OUWB does a good job of providing a lot of support. The M2 class leads review sessions for AFCP/BFCP in the first semester, individual tutors are available, and academic success advisors are available to meet with about individual study habits etc.

Administration listens to students a lot (almost too much haha) and will change things from year to year if the student feedback is unfavorable. For example, the third year class had a mandatory class scheduled the week of Thanksgiving in their second year and from talking with administration the schedule was rearranged for the following year so that the M2 class had the entire week off this year. AFCP/BFCP faculty will come to know all students by name from the amount of interaction you have with them in your first semester. When you start school your picture is taken for a directory and a lot of the faculty will study this until they know all the students by name haha. Not so much the case when Beaumont faculty start lecturing more during organ systems because clinicians may only be around for 1 lecture.

I also do not feel it's difficult to find research. I do not really like research but I was able to find a project easily for Embark by working with an OUWB faculty member and another research project presented itself along the way. A lot of students have no problem finding projects if they are willing to put in the work. There are also a lot of research opportunities offered between first and second year.

Feel free to let me know if you want me to elaborate on anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any recent IIs? Complete late Aug, IS, and still holding out hope!

As a student, I do not mind h/p/f curriculum. Everyone can get honors so I do not feel it adds competition. The environment is very collaborative (my class shares resources in our facebook group). If you have specific questions regarding h/p/f then feel free to ask. I also do not mind the attendance policy (which is not the case for everyone). I enjoy knowing and seeing my classmates on a more regular basis and I enjoy knowing who is lecturing us. Attendance only matters if you intend to get honors. Also to clarify, you need 70% attendance to earn honors however amongst the classes there are some that are mandatory for all to attend. This includes histology labs, pathology labs, microbiology labs, patient panels, TBLs, APM, etc.

How long you're in class depends on semester/organ system. I would say first semester you are in class 8-5 or 4 with a 1-2 hour lunch break. There's usually no more than 6 lectures a day cause any more than that is too much. You are not necessarily always in lecture too since a lot of the mandatory classes are hands-on type of things. After that, organ systems are usually pretty front-loaded meaning you'll be in class 8-3 or 4 for the first couple of weeks but then the last week or 2 of the organ system is largely open for white space studying.

Patient population varies widely at WB hospitals in regards to race, religion, socioeconomic status, etc.

# of med students/residents per attendings can vary depending on rotation. Just depends on how that particular clerkship is setup. In third year the class is split into "tracks" which is the order in which you complete your rotations. Each track is only about 20 students so that's how many students would be on your particular rotation with you at any given time and that is split amongst inpatient/outpatient offices and all the various attendings/residents so very rarely would there be more than one or two students working with a resident/attending. Rumor on the street is that the school is increasing the amount of tracks and therefore decreasing amount of students per rotation. Not sure if this is true or how this will play out but I think it is something they are looking at to add an elective into third year which is awesome for students!

Medical school is stressful no matter what but I feel OUWB does a good job of providing a lot of support. The M2 class leads review sessions for AFCP/BFCP in the first semester, individual tutors are available, and academic success advisors are available to meet with about individual study habits etc.

Administration listens to students a lot (almost too much haha) and will change things from year to year if the student feedback is unfavorable. For example, the third year class had a mandatory class scheduled the week of Thanksgiving in their second year and from talking with administration the schedule was rearranged for the following year so that the M2 class had the entire week off this year. AFCP/BFCP faculty will come to know all students by name from the amount of interaction you have with them in your first semester. When you start school your picture is taken for a directory and a lot of the faculty will study this until they know all the students by name haha. Not so much the case when Beaumont faculty start lecturing more during organ systems because clinicians may only be around for 1 lecture.

I also do not feel it's difficult to find research. I do not really like research but I was able to find a project easily for Embark by working with an OUWB faculty member and another research project presented itself along the way. A lot of students have no problem finding projects if they are willing to put in the work. There are also a lot of research opportunities offered between first and second year.

Last edited by a moderator:

This is really helpful, thank you so much! Do most students do research between M1 and M2? And if so, at OUWB or elsewhere? I assume there's still separate time to finish your EMBARK project, correct?

Do you mind DMing me so I can ask you a few questions? I tried messaging you but your account is on private, so I cant start a convo with you.

Can you speak about switching from NBME exams to professor-based exams? they mentioned that in the presentation and I wanted to know how M1's/M2's are adjusting to it? I feel like most schools go the other way around so i just wanted clarification. thanks!
There's pros and cons to both honestly. The whole reason our school started with NBME in the first place was because we were a new school and didn't have a question bank of vetted questions like other schools do. Part of the reason administration is not happy with NBME is that they are pulled from a question bank of retired questions, meaning they can be old and out dated. Also, sometimes the NBME questions do not well reflect the amount of time spent in lecture on certain topics. On the other hand, sometimes the questions written by clinician faculty are beyond the scope of a first or second year medical student. I would say some professor written exams are done extremely well (AFCP, BFCP, neuro). When they are done well I feel there is no disadvantage to them...in fact a lot of faculty write questions for NBME so their questions are pretty reflective of what step is like. I see no problem with professor written exams if they are done well but I think quality is an issue. There's really no way to improve quality until the questions are rolled out and vetted unfortunately. Any time they roll out a new professor written exam, students end up "challenging" a lot of the questions. If there is any disagreement the points are usually given back so it works out and better questions can be written. After professor written exams, students are able to review their exams and see what questions they got wrong and submit challenge forms for any questions they felt were insufficient. NBME exams students are unable to review. So honestly it's hard to say which is better or worse.

This is really helpful, thank you so much! Do most students do research between M1 and M2? And if so, at OUWB or elsewhere? I assume there's still separate time to finish your EMBARK project, correct?
It's totally up to your preference. Some students do externships through outside organizations without any research. A lot of people try to find projects close to their original home so they can be close to friends and family! Some students do research internships. Some students just relax and travel and enjoy their time off. Beaumont offers OUWB students clinical internships that typically involve completing an academic project for the summer between M1 and M2. OUWB also has community based and anatomy research internships as well. OUWB/Beaumont internships are typically 4 weeks long with stipend. Summer break between M1-M2 year is 10 weeks long total. Lots of time for you to make the most of it.

Embark project time is continuously built in throughout the year. Summer research opportunities are often different than Embark since you are PI on Embark and often have to submit your own IRB, etc.

II Yesterday!!! It was in my junk mail

Edit: I am IS and I was complete 9/4

Reactions: 7 users
Does anybody know what the average step 1 score is here?

I'm pretty sure it was mentioned during interview day but I forgot

It was in the upper 230's I believe!

236, if my memory serves me correctly.

Is anyone staying at the Marriott Hotel tomorrow and wants to be my friend? haha

R from this school, forgot I even applied since it was a last minute decision

Update on the H/P/F curriculum. Us M2s just learned that they are going away with the attendance policy for Neuro 2 and considering going away with it for MSK as well. Apparently the recent LCME site tour REALLY did not like the idea of/the high attendance requirement of Honors. Unsure if this will also apply for other organ systems or if it will apply to M1s.

Reactions: 2 users
Update on the H/P/F curriculum. Us M2s just learned that they are going away with the attendance policy for Neuro 2 and considering going away with it for MSK as well. Apparently the recent LCME site tour REALLY did not like the idea of/the high attendance requirement of Honors. Unsure if this will also apply for other organ systems or if it will apply to M1s.

Quick question: why the change in attendance requirement in certain blocks and not just in general? Do they believe attendance is more important in other blocks?

Quick question: why the change in attendance requirement in certain blocks and not just in general? Do they believe attendance is more important in other blocks?

Good question! Neuro 2 is our first unit after break followed by MSK, so I think they just want to experiment before they make any official changes in general be it completely eliminating the attendance requirement, lowering the attendance requirement, or getting rid of the honors option.

Anyone know when scholarships start being sent out? Or if they have already started?

Anyone know when scholarships start being sent out? Or if they have already started?

Some people a few pages earlier have already received scholarships. It can be anytime between now and up through the spring next year.

Same. My phone has never been this charged and I have never been so available. So no one has heard?

Same. My phone has never been this charged and I have never been so available. So no one has heard?
Nada :( Interviewed mid November. Does anyone remember when we are supposed to hear back? I know they mentioned it on interview day but I forgot what they said

At the 11/22 interview, they said either this week or the would get back to us after the new year!

Also got the A! Legit thought I bombed my second interview so bad !!! I literally cringe when I think of it. Interviewed 11/22

Reactions: 3 users