2019-2020 Texas Tech, El Paso

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am OOS, interviewed on September 19th and had great feedback from both interviewers but I haven’t heard anything back yet. Previous people have commented that OOS students can be accepted anytime after October 15th, but it seems like PLFSOM has accepted little to none IS or OOS until today. Since I don’t participate in the match, what is the timeline for getting an update on my application? I checked TMDSAS and my PLFSOM secondary portal but nothing yet.

If you have had silence from PLFSOM and you interviewed in Sept as an OOS, you should consider yourself waitlisted.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone matched and been able to accept the offer?

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone matched and been able to accept the offer?

I matched, and I received the email, but I have not yet been able to click anything new after logging in using the link in the email. I figure I'll give it another day and then call or email them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got waitlisted. Does everyone get waitlisted or is it only certain people?

they meant you will only have a chance for WL's at schools you had ranked higher than your Match school.

When you get off the WL from the school you ranked higher, can you still let the school you matched to know that you're not going to their school, even if you've paid the placement guarantee deposit?

You can
When you get off the WL from the school you ranked higher, can you still let the school you matched to know that you're not going to their school, even if you've paid the placement guarantee deposit?
You can.

Yes, consider your 2 choices carefully and then

1. First accept the new offer if you want to, in writing.
2. Then politely inform your current match school, in writing, that you have accepted another offer and will be relinquishing your place in their
class.
3. Remember also, you do not HAVE to accept an offer from a WL you are on. You can think it over & decide, and by the time it happens, you
may have grown fonder of your Match school.
As it gets later in the spring, you will not have a lot of time to respond to an offer from a WL. Try to choose within 2 weeks unless they give you a shorter deadline.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does everyone receive an alternate list email, that did not match? Pretty bummed, but I applied super late in the cycle.

Does everyone receive an alternate list email, that did not match? Pretty bummed, but I applied super late in the cycle.

also wondering this. I got put on the waitlist Tuesday. Still unsure how many people move off the waitlist and how many students get placed in the waitlist pool. Could someone comment about that?

Does anyone know if everyone who is not accepted are invited to the reapplicant workshop or is it only certain group of people?

Does anyone know if everyone who is not accepted are invited to the reapplicant workshop or is it only certain group of people?
I think everyone was invited. Did you get the waitlist email? If so, they attached the link in there.

also wondering this. I got put on the waitlist Tuesday. Still unsure how many people move off the waitlist and how many students get placed in the waitlist pool. Could someone comment about that?
+1

I was checking various threads from past cycles, I haven’t been able to find the answer about the waitlist number or invitations, but I did see waitlist emails came out a lottttt faster this year than previous years. In Previous years the alternate list email seems to have come out at the end of February, this year it was the day after match day. I also checked on MSAR and it says last year they had 10 people on the waitlist and accepted 8 off it. But who knows, it’s really just a waiting game now. Best of luck to us and congrats to everyone that got matched!!

Reactions: 1 users
Any suggestions on laptop and/or tablet to purchase?

You may have better luck in a more general area of the forum, but for n=1, I have a Microsoft Surface Pro with an i5 (therefore fanless) and it is well over-powered for the day-to-day while being powerful enough for a game or movie here and there when not at home (great size too).

Is anyone else having trouble paying the deposit? I emailed admissions and they said it’s an IT issue that lots of people are experiencing

Is anyone else having trouble paying the deposit? I emailed admissions and they said it’s an IT issue that lots of people are experiencing

Yep! They sent an email out to the whole match acceptance list saying as much, I think. They're going to email us all when its fixed.

Paul Foster School of Medicine is holding a re-applicant workshop soon on Friday, February 21.
If you're closeby, you could attend in person.
If it's far away from you, you can also attend via live-stream.

I posted the details and registration link here: #369

I was just able to pay the placement fee. The issue appears to be resolved.

I got off the WL at my number one and withdrew here, best of luck to anyone attending! This school seemed fantastic and I had a really hard time picking.

Reactions: 4 users
What do students at PLFSOM do for health insurance? I'm over 26 and just got my packet. I would like to avoid demolishing my budget with the $250/month academic health plan, plus the current enrollment is for Feb-June 2020. I saw some suggestions for Medicaid, but I'll have some income leading up to orientation. Also, it's unclear to me how expansive Texas Medicaid would be. Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

What do students at PLFSOM do for health insurance? I'm over 26 and just got my packet. I would like to avoid demolishing my budget with the $250/month academic health plan, plus the current enrollment is for Feb-June 2020. I saw some suggestions for Medicaid, but I'll have some income leading up to orientation. Also, it's unclear to me how expansive Texas Medicaid would be. Any feedback would be great. Thanks.
$250 per month for health insurance is a steal, less than you would be able to find in the marketplace

So Medicaid
$250 per month for health insurance is a steal, less than you would be able to find in the marketplace
Sure, but it’s still $3k per year in loans. As a requirement, it feels like an increase in tuition. So Texas Medicaid is not an option as it is in Arkansas and California?

So Medicaid

Sure, but it’s still $3k per year in loans. As a requirement, it feels like an increase in tuition. So Texas Medicaid is not an option as it is in Arkansas and California?

That will depend on your income and how many people are living on it, if you are married/children. Chances of qualifying if you are a single grad student are low.

So Medicaid
Sure, but it’s still $3k per year in loans. As a requirement, it feels like an increase in tuition.

Medicaid is a limited resource and it is there for the people who really need it. Think single mothers, poverty stricken, disabled, etc.
Texas already has some of the cheapest tuition in the nation, even for OOSers.

I got off the WL at my number one and withdrew here, best of luck to anyone attending! This school seemed fantastic and I had a really hard time picking.

Congrats on getting your top choice. When did you withdraw? Just wondering because I am waitlisted, it would be nice to see some movement early from the waitlist since MSAR states there are only 8-10 people placed on waitlist.

Congrats on getting your top choice. When did you withdraw? Just wondering because I am waitlisted, it would be nice to see some movement early from the waitlist since MSAR states there are only 8-10 people placed on waitlist.

I withdrew a few minutes before posting that, best of luck!

I figure they probably already offered someone that spot off the WL earlier today.:( if anyone's heard of any WL movement news lmk. best of luck to us all! Everything will work out in the end! Keep your heads up!

Is there any FB page for accepted students? Maybe to find roommates?

Sent from my SM-G975U using SDN mobile
I don't think that they have created on yet. based on the thread from last year, I believe they send invites via the email address that was used on TMDSAS

anyone hear anything about the waitlist?
no but im sure someone (or some people) already got off the WL this week since there was 2 people who withdrew last week. Unless they're just waiting to send them, but that wouldn't make sense.

no but im sure someone (or some people) already got off the WL this week since there was 2 people who withdrew last week. Unless they're just waiting to send them, but that wouldn't make sense.

They are already accepting people from waitlist?

They are already accepting people from waitlist?
I'm not 100% sure they are. But since they said if people declined their admissions that they would start accepting people and let them know immeadietly.

Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to attend the workshop. Did they mention any information about the waitlist? Thanks

Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to attend the workshop. Did they mention any information about the waitlist? Thanks
They accepted 123 people on match day. They won’t start accepting people off the waitlist till that number gets to around 108 or lower :/ but keep it mind UHCOM is going to accept people and that will shift movement. A lot (that’s what the admission Dean said). Also she said some years 30+ got off the WL and some years 10, it just depends on what schools they’re in cycle with, and since UH is opening now, their should be a lot more people coming off this year than normal :) also some people have already decline admissions! Still waiting on AAMC schools to send out decisions as well! Stay hopeful

They accepted 123 people on match day. They won’t start accepting people off the waitlist till that number gets to around 108 or lower :/ but keep it mind UHCOM is going to accept people and that will shift movement. A lot (that’s what the admission Dean said). Also she said some years 30+ got off the WL and some years 10, it just depends on what schools they’re in cycle with, and since UH is opening now, their should be a lot more people coming off this year than normal :)
Also, no LOIs are accepted. They can’t attach it to our profile. We’re all ranked and they can’t change our ranks and will call the person who’s next to get off each time

They accepted 123 people on match day. They won’t start accepting people off the waitlist till that number gets to around 108 or lower :/ but keep it mind UHCOM is going to accept people and that will shift movement. A lot (that’s what the admission Dean said). Also she said some years 30+ got off the WL and some years 10, it just depends on what schools they’re in cycle with, and since UH is opening now, their should be a lot more people coming off this year than normal :) also some people have already decline admissions! Still waiting on AAMC schools to send out decisions as well! Stay hopeful
Class size at this school has been 100, is it still 100? why would they make WL invites at a level of 108?

Thank you for sharing that! Did they say how long the waitlist is right now?

Class size at this school has been 100, is it still 100? why would they make WL invites at a level of 108?
For the past like 2 years? or 3? I can't remember the exact year it started, but they started to slowly matriculate around 103-106 students instead of 100 (not a big difference but it is still a difference). One of the admissions staff said it used to just be exactly 100 and showed us the years when it was, but now they have been accepting more students as healthcare advances in El Paso grew. They said 108 is their class size goal this year. They said they expect to accept more students as the years go on.