2020-2021 Texas Tech, El Paso

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II earlier today - dates in early December
Withdrew my application though, so hope the interview goes to one of y'all!

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Interviewed here 2 years ago, reapplying now. Haven’t heard back since being complete in mid july. Even had a feedback session with one of the officers here who told me to notify her when I submitted my app. Pretty concerned I haven’t heard back by now

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed here 2 years ago, reapplying now. Haven’t heard back since being complete in mid july. Even had a feedback session with one of the officers here who told me to notify her when I submitted my app. Pretty concerned I haven’t heard back by now
It has only been a few days since the final TMDSAS submission deadline. We will usually see some more interview invitations going out as they go back over their full applicant pool.

Reactions: 2 users
It has only been a few days since the final TMDSAS submission deadline. We will usually see some more interview invitations going out as they go back over their full applicant pool.

I hope so, wysdoc. Thanks for always keeping us anxious applicants reassured :)

Can someone enlighten me on the interview format? I have mine soon so I'd love to hear any tips/information regarding it.

Reactions: 1 user
Gotcha! Is the informational half of the session prior to interviews done in a group?

yeah there was like 20 other premeds in a big webex chat and the adcoms pretty much played a long powerpoint. The morning was loaded with alot of information but the student panel section after the interview was amazing and might be the reason I rank this school above my other one!

Reactions: 3 users
I don't really understand prematch as an OOS student. They mentioned in the info session that OOS prematch as well

I don't really understand prematch as an OOS student. They mentioned in the info session that OOS prematch as well
For OOS it’s just like any other AMCAS school. They just outright accept you. There is no “prematch”.

Members don't see this ad :)
For OOS it’s just like any other AMCAS school. They just outright accept you. There is no “prematch”.
Heard. I could've sworn they mentioned it as prematch lol. I figured it's just like an AMCAS school.

Does anyone know if (or when) Foster sends out scholarships to accepted/pre-matched students?

Does anyone know if (or when) Foster sends out scholarships to accepted/pre-matched students?
I’m not sure. I’m also curious as to whether scholarships would only be spent to those who pay the acceptance fee.

Scholarships come out randomly from what I've been told by classmates. I received mine shortly after receiving a pre-match offer, prior to paying the acceptance fee.
Some that you may apply to also become available throughout the school year.

Reactions: 1 users
people who have been accepted - have you guys done fafsa yet?
No, unless this is your #1 choice, including schools you haven't interviewed at, it's way too soon. The game could change too quickly.

people who have been accepted - have you guys done fafsa yet?
I did file my FAFSA and listed most of the schools I applied to whether or not I have interviewed or been accepted there yet. My logic was that it would not hurt to send early. Either way, most schools will not obtain the FAFSA info until the spring time once they start finalizing their class and send out FA packages.

Does anyone know if El Paso take's update letters? It says they don't take letters of interest but nothing about update letters

Does anyone know if El Paso take's update letters? It says they don't take letters of interest but nothing about update letters
They are the same thing :(
However, if you are still in college be sure to log in to your TMDSAS portal after Fall 2020 grades are final to enter your new grades.
TMDSAS will recalculate your GPA and send new grade info to all your schools.

They are the same thing :(
However, if you are still in college be sure to log in to your TMDSAS portal after Fall 2020 grades are final to enter your new grades.
TMDSAS will recalculate your GPA and send new grade info to all your schools.
lol woops I thought they were different and went ahead and emailed them. Hopefully it doesn't reflect poorly on me

So is match day (3/5) the deadline to hear back or the day we're going to hear back for OOS students?

So is match day (3/5) the deadline to hear back or the day we're going to hear back for OOS students?
OOS students can hear back any time, before or after Match day, all the way up to orientation for EY 2021. I know this doesn’t help much but it’s true 😯

OOS students can hear back any time, before or after Match day, all the way up to orientation for EY 2021. I know this doesn’t help much but it’s true
Ah thanks for the insight. So there's really no set time for them to make decisions after an interview.

Hi guys! I'm very excited about my prematch offer here and am PrObAbLy coming here, barring a match at the only school ranked ahead of this one. I was wondering about housing options if anyone here is familiar with El Paso. I don't need anything too fancy as long as the neighborhood is relatively safe, but my hope is to have a 2 or 3 bedroom rental property with a yard for my dog. It could be a house, a duplex, an apartment, etc but it must have a yard for Annie where I can leave her out there when the weather isn't too hot while I'm on campus. I know it's too soon to rent yet, but I'm just scoping out the area on Craigslist. My question is whether there are any areas I should stay away from, whether evaporative cooling really works in the area, whether there are realtors in the area willing to show off rental properties a little closer to time to rent, and whether any native or current student has any other suggestions. Thanks!

Hi guys! I'm very excited about my prematch offer here and am PrObAbLy coming here, barring a match at the only school ranked ahead of this one. I was wondering about housing options if anyone here is familiar with El Paso. I don't need anything too fancy as long as the neighborhood is relatively safe, but my hope is to have a 2 or 3 bedroom rental property with a yard for my dog. It could be a house, a duplex, an apartment, etc but it must have a yard for Annie where I can leave her out there when the weather isn't too hot while I'm on campus. I know it's too soon to rent yet, but I'm just scoping out the area on Craigslist. My question is whether there are any areas I should stay away from, whether evaporative cooling really works in the area, whether there are realtors in the area willing to show off rental properties a little closer to time to rent, and whether any native or current student has any other suggestions. Thanks!
West-side is where majority of students will be, but many of the properties here don't have large open spaces.
Look more central/East-side.

Hey current students. What is the attendance policy at PLFSOM? Are lectures recorded and posted online? Or do you need to attend every class at its set day and time?

Hey current students. What is the attendance policy at PLFSOM? Are lectures recorded and posted online? Or do you need to attend every class at its set day and time?

M-W is all optional attendance except for the random mandatory lecture once in a while. All lectures are recorded and posted next day. Thursday’s we have mandatory medical skills sessions where we go to campus to practice med skills or see a standardized patient and then we do one at home virtually too, so roughly two hours of mandatory stuff on Thursday. However, as of Thanksgiving we have been virtual 100% and plan to be until February 1st 2021. We will be taking our final exam in person tho, which ppl are understandably upset about. Since we use NBME exams now we have to follow their regulations when it comes to testing and I don’t think they allow at-home tests.

Friday, however, is mandatory 8:00 am to 12:00 pm (individual test, team test [do the same test but as a team now],then we go over 2 case studies with faculty/clinicians). 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm we meet with our college to discuss some hot topic in medicine (Today we discussed the COVID-19 vaccine). All of this is done virtually.

To expand on red_tangoes' post, it's basically the same things for MS2's except W-F are our lecture days while M/Tues are the mandatory medical skills/colloquium/TBL.

Please be patient with me, this is my first post and I'm driving myself insane lol. I just checked my status here and under the LOR status, there is a check mark but no additional notes. When I logged onto TMDSAS, I noticed that my extra evaluator's letter had been rejected, therefore, not submitted to the school. I know the handbook says that applications are not complete until the additional letter is submitted. However, I already interviewed here in October. Do I need to be worried about my application status? Thank you.

Please be patient with me, this is my first post and I'm driving myself insane lol. I just checked my status here and under the LOR status, there is a check mark but no additional notes. When I logged onto TMDSAS, I noticed that my extra evaluator's letter had been rejected, therefore, not submitted to the school. I know the handbook says that applications are not complete until the additional letter is submitted. However, I already interviewed here in October. Do I need to be worried about my application status? Thank you.

No, if you already interviewed then your application was considered complete long ago, even if there was an issue with your extra LOR.

I think you're good as long as your application has the minimum # of LORs. I don't think the extra letter being rejected will have any negative impacts on your app status.

Thank you! TMDSAS told me to contact them and update them that I removed the extra letter. But isn't this again PLFSOM admission rules?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me a bit more about the immersion program in the few weeks before classes start. Is it like a science review, anatomy preview, stress management kinda thing, or something else entirely? Thanks in advance!

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me a bit more about the immersion program in the few weeks before classes start. Is it like a science review, anatomy preview, stress management kinda thing, or something else entirely? Thanks in advance!
Immersion is basically orientation. You do a lot of society/community-type of lectures, Spanish, etc. I believe the school has also made some very basic introductory modules (Micro, immuno) for students to use optionally if they want to.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you! TMDSAS told me to contact them and update them that I removed the extra letter. But isn't this again PLFSOM admission rules?
anyone able to advise on this before I send them an email and potentially break the rules?

Immersion is basically orientation. You do a lot of society/community-type of lectures, Spanish, etc. I believe the school has also made some very basic introductory modules (Micro, immuno) for students to use optionally if they want to.
Okay. I understood that even before Orientation there was an optional four-week immersion. Does that mean that that optional program would start early June? Or did I misunderstand entirely?

Okay. I understood that even before Orientation there was an optional four-week immersion. Does that mean that that optional program would start early June? Or did I misunderstand entirely?
Immersion = Orientation, unless something has changed recently. Required 4 weeks of Spanish/Community stuff +/- the optional introductory modules that were made for first years.

Just to repeat what Aurarice said, Immersion is a *required* 3-4 week period consisting of SCI/public health lessons and daily Spanish classes. The online modules are optional tho.

Immersion started 6/29 for me (MS1), so late June/early July.

This is very much a reach, but I applied very late in the cycle and was wondering if interviews are still being extended?

This is very much a reach, but I applied very late in the cycle and was wondering if interviews are still being extended?
How late is late? The last interview invitations I have seen were in mid- December but I wouldn’t be surprised if they had some more interviews In January