2020-2021 Georgetown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My app is also under review.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does this secondary allow for an optional text box for IAs or allow for updates after submission? To make a long story short, I have pre-written all my secondaries but still waiting for my primary to be reviewed (hopefully in a few more days!), but when I submitted my primary I indicated I had no IAs because what I thought were not violations actually were. After talking to a few admissions departments I have learned my best bet is to 1)email the admissions office and dean of admissions, 2) explain in the optional text box why I did not report it on my primary, and 3)update my application with the details if allowed.

Therefore, does this secondary have an optional text box or allow for resubmission where I would have the opportunity to explain this situation?

Does this secondary allow for an optional text box for IAs or allow for updates after submission? To make a long story short, I have pre-written all my secondaries but still waiting for my primary to be reviewed (hopefully in a few more days!), but when I submitted my primary I indicated I had no IAs because what I thought were not violations actually were. After talking to a few admissions departments I have learned my best bet is to 1)email the admissions office and dean of admissions, 2) explain in the optional text box why I did not report it on my primary, and 3)update my application with the details if allowed.

Therefore, does this secondary have an optional text box or allow for resubmission where I would have the opportunity to explain this situation?

If I were you, I would definitely contact the Admissions Office about updating your IA and it's probably good to give them a reason why you missed describing your IA in the primary application.

In terms of talking about your IA, you could use the 1000-character optional essay prompt. But if you need that space to talk about other things, again, it's probably best to let the Admissions Committee know about your IA through email first.

The secondary application does have a designated space where you can post updates (in text only - no document uploads) even after you submit your secondary application.

If I were you, I would definitely contact the Admissions Office about updating your IA and it's probably good to give them a reason why you missed describing your IA in the primary application.

In terms of talking about your IA, you could use the 1000-character optional essay prompt. But if you need that space to talk about other things, again, it's probably best to let the Admissions Committee know about your IA through email first.

The secondary application does have a designated space where you can post updates (in text only - no document uploads) even after you submit your secondary application.
Thank you! I have already received an email back from them. So if anyone is in the same boat they said the only further action required would be to do a post-submission update!

Do you guys think including that including that I am Catholic in the one page essay would be beneficial to my application? I have a strong faith, and feel like my faith and values have contributed a lot to who I am today

Reactions: 1 user
Do you guys think including that including that I am Catholic in the one page essay would be beneficial to my application? I have a strong faith, and feel like my faith and values have contributed a lot to who I am today
One of the biggest reasons I applied to Georgetown was this reason and I stated it, no shame. You should IMO brotha

Reactions: 3 users
I think if you can frame it as how the basis of your faith values all people, and through that faith you've been led to this path (and potentially if it has led you to particular service etc.). But honestly I would say that (coming from a Catholic college) the tenants of the faith are more incorporated into the guiding principles of the institution. E.g. Georgetown's Jesuit background doesn't mean that everyone there is Catholic or that you have to attend mass every Sunday if you go there, but that the Catholic mission has guided the basis of what the institution strives to instill in students (if that makes sense).

That being said, I don't know that saying you are a Catholic (or any Christian denomination) would tie you more to their institution than someone that is another religious faith. So if that is the angle, I would say avoid that.

Reactions: 1 users
I think if you can frame it as how the basis of your faith values all people, and through that faith you've been led to this path (and potentially if it has led you to particular service etc.). But honestly I would say that (coming from a Catholic college) the tenants of the faith are more incorporated into the guiding principles of the institution. E.g. Georgetown's Jesuit background doesn't mean that everyone there is Catholic or that you have to attend mass every Sunday if you go there, but that the Catholic mission has guided the basis of what the institution strives to instill in students (if that makes sense).

That being said, I don't know that saying you are a Catholic (or any Christian denomination) would tie you more to their institution than someone that is another religious faith. So if that is the angle, I would say avoid that.
Thank you so much!! Super helpful!!

During an info session earlier this month (7/15), the Georgetown Admissions people stated they wanted to send out IIs in late July/start interviewing in August.

Bets when the first round of IIs will be sent?

Members don't see this ad :)
During an info session earlier this month (7/15), the Georgetown Admissions people stated they wanted to send out IIs in late July/start interviewing in August.

Bets when the first round of IIs will be sent?
Monday

Reactions: 4 users
Just submitted. Very excited about this school!

Y'all seen Georgetown's library?
As someone who prefers a dungeon vibe when studying, I love the prison look of the library.
1595701860192.png

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Is it reasonable to expect II invites to start going out this week?

Is it reasonable to expect II invites to start going out this week?
As they had noted during their info session that they wanted to send out IIs in July for August, I'd say it is.

Did anyone else who signed up for their info session not received an email yet?

Did anyone else who signed up for their info session not received an email yet?
When is the information session? I attended the one on July 15 and they sent out the link/invite the day before. If it's still a while out I wouldn't worry about not receiving it yet.

When is the information session? I attended the one on July 15 and they sent out the link/invite the day before. If it's still a while out I wouldn't worry about not receiving it yet.
At 12 pm today, granted I did sign up yesterday so it may be filled up already

Can you give a TLDR of the info session?

Can you give a TLDR of the info session?
Of course!

Basically I would say that they ran through the outline of their curriculum (how they structure all four years and how COVID has impacted it). They talked about their advising and support, research and volunteering requirements, and some of the "extra" programs they offer (eg international). They also gave an overview of how their review of applicants is holistic.

I would say that if this is one of the schools you're really interested in (like I am) you probably would have already come across a lot of what they say in the info session on their website. It was definitely useful for filling in some of the gaps though!

• Love
Just got my reminder email, I will let everyone know if they mention when they expect to release II

Of course!

Basically I would say that they ran through the outline of their curriculum (how they structure all four years and how COVID has impacted it). They talked about their advising and support, research and volunteering requirements, and some of the "extra" programs they offer (eg international). They also gave an overview of how their review of applicants is holistic.

I would say that if this is one of the schools you're really interested in (like I am) you probably would have already come across a lot of what they say in the info session on their website. It was definitely useful for filling in some of the gaps though!
Awesome thank you for the summary

Even though they do have Hoya MedAlliance for LGBTQ students,, would it hurt my chances to mention lgbtq for the "further information" prompt?

Even though they do have Hoya MedAlliance for LGBTQ students,, would it hurt my chances to mention lgbtq for the "further information" prompt?

Why do you think it would hurt your chances?

Do you guys think 150 hours for clinical experience is fine for Georgetown? I'm a traditional student so I don't have as many hours as gap year applicants, and I can't use my 180 hospital volunteer hours due to Georgetown's classification of clinical experience. The 150 is 100 shadowing and 50 collecting vitals at a free clinic. Rest of my app aligns with GU's service mission

I don't have access to the secondary yet. Can anyone answer a question for me? For this secondary, and med school secondaries in general, are the word/character counts usually strict? As in, it will cut off at that point? Or are they just guidelines and you can go over by a little?

I don't have access to the secondary yet. Can anyone answer a question for me? For this secondary, and med school secondaries in general, are the word/character counts usually strict? As in, it will cut off at that point? Or are they just guidelines and you can go over by a little?
Some have text boxes where you enter your statement that don’t allow for character/word addition after you reach the maximum

Usually it’s a text box that prevents you from typing more. Although Georgetown also has an essay that is 1 pg formatted at your discretion, so you could play around w formatting to fit more words.

Everything on my app is completed, but the "Application Complete" is still red. Is this worth reaching out to the office? Submitted secondary 7/11. The only thing I can think is that my most recent MCAT scores have not been released yet, although the MCAT scores box is green.
I'm willing to bet the red is because of your most recent MCAT scores. Many schools will wait until receiving your latest score to process your application and start review because they don't want to have to review it twice. Ultimately, this is good for you because if you score better the second time around, you'd want them to review your application with that score in mind instead. Just my guess, though.

I'm willing to bet the red is because of your most recent MCAT scores. Many schools will wait until receiving your latest score to process your application and start review because they don't want to have to review it twice. Ultimately, this is good for you because if you score better the second time around, you'd want them to review your application with that score in mind instead. Just my guess, though.
I'm going to second that. They say on their website that they only consider your most recent score so that's probably why it's stuck like that.

dumb question but theres a 125 subsection screen right? Does this mean ur rejected if u have a 125 or if ur below it?

dumb question but theres a 125 subsection screen right? Does this mean ur rejected if u have a 125 or if ur below it?
According to their admissions page anything under a 125 is non-competitive for them, so as long as you have a 125 or higher you should be fine

For the Additional Information essay, I was going to write about a missed (b/c COVID) shadowing/volunteering opportunity at a Planned Parenthood where I was going to learn about abortion surgeries and other methods of contraception, but with Georgetown’s Jesuit background, would it be better if I just talked about something else like a low grade on my transcript or other volunteering I did during COVID-19?

For the Additional Information essay, I was going to write about a missed (b/c COVID) shadowing/volunteering opportunity at a Planned Parenthood where I was going to learn about abortion surgeries and other methods of contraception, but with Georgetown’s Jesuit background, would it be better if I just talked about something else like a low grade on my transcript or other volunteering I did during COVID-19?

Yeah I'd probably avoid talking about abortion here. AFAIK, Catholic hospitals aren't permitted to carry out abortions and I don't think Georgetown's medical center is an exception to that, so it's safe to assume that there will probably be adcoms who wouldn't look favorably on this essay topic.

Has anyone been "under review" for greater than a week?

Has anyone received an interview invite yet ? I figure those will be coming out in the next week or two maybe (?)

Do you guys think 150 hours for clinical experience is fine for Georgetown? I'm a traditional student so I don't have as many hours as gap year applicants, and I can't use my 180 hospital volunteer hours due to Georgetown's classification of clinical experience. The 150 is 100 shadowing and 50 collecting vitals at a free clinic. Rest of my app aligns with GU's service mission
I honestly don't think this is fair of them to classify our clinical experiences this way. Ultimately, it's about what you gained from the experience. I volunteered with some people who didn't "feel like" talking to patients at all and would just stock the entire unit all night. I also volunteered with people who made the experience special, like I tried to do! You could have spent 300 hours in a clinic and learned nothing, and have no takeaways. You could also have spent 12 hours in a clinic and have had a life-changing experience. It's what you make of it! I don't think they'd cut you off for having 150 hours.