2020-2021 Loyola (Stritch)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Question 12, How should student write about this if not submit advisor letter or committee letter? What should we pay attention in this one?

Members don't see this ad.

Question 12, How should student write about this if not submit advisor letter or committee letter? What should we pay attention in this one?
I just wrote about why I didn't have one (non-trad student w/ no pre-med advisor and 3 institutions in 3 years). If your school doesn't offer those, just say that it wasn't an option.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks. I can't think of any social justice experiences I've been involved with that are concrete besides my time serving underserved communities... I am passionate about social justice but I don't have any involvement in advocacy groups or things of that sort. More so just lots of volunteering the underserved at a soup kitchen and taking lots of sociology and public health classes. Any tips on how I could approach this? Them saying "concrete" makes me think they're looking for official activities I was involved in rather than just taking classes and writing research papers on the topic.
Makes sense, and honestly I don’t say this in a mean way then maybe Loyola isn’t the right school for you? Everyone I’ve met during orientation is very social justice centered. If you’re not that’s okay! They ask these question for a reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
Makes sense, and honestly I don’t say this in a mean way then maybe Loyola isn’t the right school for you? Everyone I’ve met during orientation is very social justice centered. If you’re not that’s okay! They ask these question for a reason.

Haha well that's concerning.... Loyola is actually one of my top schools because I'm super passionate about social justice but I did it through sustained volunteer activities for the underserved communities where I lived. My whole personal statement was even focused on inequities marginalized communities face. Was there something in my comment that came off as if I don't care about social justice? Asking so I don't make the mistake of repeating this to the adcoms and leaving them the same impression I just left you with haha

I definitely don't think the only form of "concrete" social justice experience is participation in advocacy groups. It can be ANY time in which you've encountered something relating to social justice. Examples could be: volunteering at hospitals, you might notice that sometimes those of certain SES or ethnicity seem to be treated differently by nurses/doctors; similarly, discrimination you've encountered or witnessed while at school, work, etc. It could be a positive example too: a role model in your life or even a celebrity you admire who goes above and beyond to do more for others.

Thank you for this!! I was able to write about A LOT after you clarified this for me.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Would someone mind clarifying what the difference between prompts 2 and 3 is? To me, both seem to be asking what have you learned about yourself from doing social justice work/advocacy work. Is there an obvious difference between these two questions that I am missing??

Greatly appreciate any insight. Thanks!

Last edited:
Application reviewed and held for further review later. Anyone else receive this or did anyone get an II or R? Submitted 7/20

Would someone mind clarifying what the difference between prompts 2 and 3 is? To me, both seem to be asking what have you learned about yourself from doing social justice work/advocacy work. Is there an obvious difference between these two questions that I am missing??

Greatly appreciate any insight. Thanks!

To me, the second question is asking about BOTH past experiences and future commitment to social justice, broadly defined.

The third question is asking about past experiences and reflection on a narrow aspect of social justice, i.e. working with the underserved.

Reactions: 2 users
Application reviewed and held for further review later. Anyone else receive this or did anyone get an II or R? Submitted 7/20
How did you see that status?

Reactions: 1 user
To me, the second question is asking about BOTH past experiences and future commitment to social justice, broadly defined.

The third question is asking about past experiences and reflection on a narrow aspect of social justice, i.e. working with the underserved.

Thank you!

How did you see that status?
Sign back into your Loyola account (same link as where you submit secondary) then as soon as you are logged in it will say "As of [date]: followed by your status.

Sign back into your Loyola account (same link as where you submit secondary) then as soon as you are logged in it will say "As of [date]: followed by your status.
Mine just says “file complete and under review” submitted 07–17

Anyone still waiting for a secondary? OOS verified in June

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If not offered an interview, will we receive a rejection via email immediately or how does that work?

I submitted my secondary on 7/20 and received a confirmation email on 7/22 but I jut got another email inviting me to complete a secondary and when I go to my account my old secondary is not there but on the table it is marked as received on 7/22. Has anyone else had this error? I tried calling their office but no one answered

I submitted my secondary on 7/20 and received a confirmation email on 7/22 but I jut got another email inviting me to complete a secondary and when I go to my account my old secondary is not there but on the table it is marked as received on 7/22. Has anyone else had this error? I tried calling their office but no one answered
So, I had submitted my application earlier too, but I realized, after submitting, that when I clicked "print the application", none of my responses would show up. So I emailed them about it last week and now got the invitation to submit the secondary again. I am assuming that they had a glitch on their portal and it didn't save our responses the first time we submitted. So, after my email they might have found other students with the same issue and sent the email to whoever's files had no responses like mine

That will be the way their portal is set up, so that once you submit a secondary, you can't go back and edit it or send another one. Don't worry!

Is there a word limit/character limit for questions 6-12?

Question 7 says, "Please explain in more detail (in less than 1500 characters) anything that would help us understand any gaps or delays in your education, academic missteps, or personal challenges not listed elsewhere"

The others don't explicitly state a minimum or maximum.

Regarding prompt 2, "Explain how you plan to sustain your efforts to advocate for current social justice issues as a medical student and as a physician"

Did you guys specifically refer to social justice organizations specifically at Stritch? Or did you guys just keep It broad?

Question 7 says, "Please explain in more detail (in less than 1500 characters) anything that would help us understand any gaps or delays in your education, academic missteps, or personal challenges not listed elsewhere"

The others don't explicitly state a minimum or maximum.

Regarding prompt 2, "Explain how you plan to sustain your efforts to advocate for current social justice issues as a medical student and as a physician"

Did you guys specifically refer to social justice organizations specifically at Stritch? Or did you guys just keep It broad?
Kept it broad.

I did and still no change. Maybe I said the wrong thing. What exactly did you email them?
Just be patient it’s an admissions office of 4 people. That get 15000 apps. Imagine how many people are emailing them right now. Not to mention they’re handling new student orientation virtually.

Just be patient it’s an admissions office of 4 people. That get 15000 apps. Imagine how many people are emailing them right now. Not to mention they’re handling new student orientation virtually.
Out of curiosity, why do so many people apply to Loyola? That's a crazy amount of applicants compared to like my state-school and other private schools I am applying to where it's between 3k - 5k.

Out of curiosity, why do so many people apply to Loyola? That's a crazy amount of applicants compared to like my state-school and other private schools I am applying to where it's between 3k - 5k.
Because it’s a very solid mid tier Med school that has low enough stats for everyone below average to apply, and has a good enough reputation for those with high stats to apply. It’s the perfect middle ground to attract almost anyone in the applicant pool. And it takes a lot of OOS.

For the question that asks about what we have been doing if we have been out of school for over 2 years, does that mean 2 years by the time classes start or 2 years at the time of application? I graduated 12/2018 so it is less than 2 years as of now but would be 2 years by the time of admission. I emailed them and have not heard back and it has been a week.

For the question that asks about what we have been doing if we have been out of school for over 2 years, does that mean 2 years by the time classes start or 2 years at the time of application? I graduated 12/2018 so it is less than 2 years as of now but would be 2 years by the time of admission. I emailed them and have not heard back and it has been a week.
I take the question to mean two gap years, and you're in your second gap year, so you should still talk about it (unless you have nothing to add). I'm in the same boat, and that's how I'm going to answer it too!

I take the question to mean two gap years, and you're in your second gap year, so you should still talk about it (unless you have nothing to add). I'm in the same boat, and that's how I'm going to answer it too!
As someone with 2 gap years, I would take every opportunity I have to talk more about what I bring to the table.

I have the same. It means nothing really as they don’t reject till after interview season apparently.

Last edited:
anyone know how the Jesuit aspect plays into curriculum regarding abortion and contraception?

anyone know how the Jesuit aspect plays into curriculum regarding abortion and contraception?
So not sure what you mean by playing into the curriculum.... but basically like at any Jesuit institution you’re not going to find on any website that they’re pro life / pro contraception. They would literally lose their catholic charter from the Vatican. But the jesuits are the most liberal Catholics out there. If you asked a Jesuit priest one on one they would tell you a very different story than you would here from the official message. As far as the curricular impact... not sure what you mean there. It’s not like they’re not gonna teach you that contraception and abortion don’t exist ?

Does anyone know when loyola starts interviewing?

Hey all! I'm a freshly minted rising M1 at Stritch. The stress and neuroticism from my cycle last year is definitely still fresh in mind, so feel free to ask questions here or shoot me a DM about anything that comes to mind. Hopefully I can help out and answer your questions to the best of my ability. Best of luck to you all! :)

So not sure what you mean by playing into the curriculum.... but basically like at any Jesuit institution you’re not going to find on any website that they’re pro life / pro contraception. They would literally lose their catholic charter from the Vatican. But the jesuits are the most liberal Catholics out there. If you asked a Jesuit priest one on one they would tell you a very different story than you would here from the official message. As far as the curricular impact... not sure what you mean there. It’s not like they’re not gonna teach you that contraception and abortion don’t exist ?
I think it's a fair question for someone to ask who isn't Catholic or Jesuit. Not everyone is familiar with the nuances between different religious institutions; I for one wasn't aware that Jesuits are considered liberal. Of course no med school can deny that contraception and abortion exist, but they each have their own flavor when discussing subjects in a curriculum. It's valid to ask how, if at all, their religion influences the way they talk about controversial topics such as birth control or abortion (e.g. either as a last resort, or as something we should make as available as possible...)

I think it's a fair question for someone to ask who isn't Catholic or Jesuit. Not everyone is familiar with the nuances between different religious institutions; I for one wasn't aware that Jesuits are considered liberal. Of course no med school can deny that contraception and abortion exist, but they each have their own flavor when discussing subjects in a curriculum. It's valid to ask how, if at all, their religion influences the way they talk about controversial topics such as birth control or abortion (e.g. either as a last resort, or as something we should make as available as possible...)
Oh my gosh not trying to say in any way this was an unfair question. Or say it was invalid in anyway. I just literally don’t know how it affects the curriculum I was just being honest. I’m saying like I just don’t know how it would effect the curriculum. We can use Georgetown another Georgetown institution as an example: they do rotations at the womens/health abortion clinics. But they didn’t let their students do the papaya activity.

I’m trying to say that it does not affect anything you learn/are taught in the curriculum.

If there are any lurking current students or if anyone has any idea - is a 2 week turn around a hard deadline for SSOM?

If there are any lurking current students or if anyone has any idea - is a 2 week turn around a hard deadline for SSOM?
No for the record it was a hard deadline for about 1 of the 35 schools I applied to.

Oh my gosh not trying to say in any way this was an unfair question. Or say it was invalid in anyway. I just literally don’t know how it affects the curriculum I was just being honest. I’m saying like I just don’t know how it would effect the curriculum. We can use Georgetown another Georgetown institution as an example: they do rotations at the womens/health abortion clinics. But they didn’t let their students do the papaya activity.

I’m trying to say that it does not affect anything you learn/are taught in the curriculum.
Sorry if I came off too strong, just thought you misunderstood the original question, which was HOW these things are being taught, not IF they are taught. Thanks for clarifying that it shouldn't have an effect at all.

This is nitpicky but when looking at the "print view" post submission, I'm not able to see my responses broken up into paragraphs even though I double spaced like their instructions said to... is anyone else having this problem/is it something to worry about?

Does anyone know when loyola starts interviewing?

No idea if they're changing their schedule due to COVID, but if they're maintaining a similar timeline, the first interview dates should be in mid/late-August. I had a late-August interview date last year, and I believe there was one date before mine (not sure about exact dates, sorry!).

This is nitpicky but when looking at the "print view" post submission, I'm not able to see my responses broken up into paragraphs even though I double spaced like their instructions said to... is anyone else having this problem/is it something to worry about?
Yeah, all my paragraphs were lost in the print preview. I couldn't fix it, so I just submitted. That happened to me at another school too in the "print preview". I imagine people use paragraphs to structure their responses, so I'm not sure why they get lost. I just hit submit and moved on haha.

I have a lot of very concrete social justice experiences to answer these questions with, but they're associated with a reproductive/sexual health advocacy group. Mostly referring to advocating for sex-ed in schools and stuff... I'd really love to talk about it but I'm wondering if that's a risk given this is a Jesuit school? I saw the above comments about abortion and it got me thinking...
Not an issue. I mean it’s who you are right ?? Just write about what your passions are and if a school doesn’t like it , that’s not the school for you.

I had a conversation last night with a classmate whose passion is reproductive health for the underserved

Not an issue. I mean it’s who you are right ?? Just write about what your passions are and if a school doesn’t like it , that’s not the school for you.

I had a conversation last night with a classmate whose passion is reproductive health for the underserved
V good point!! Much appreciated :happy:

I am trying to submit my secondary, but I do not see the "submit" button. I answered question 1-5 and put N/A for 6. Anyone have any suggestions.

By "double-space" for paragraphs, do they mean two actual spaces, or two enters/line breaks?

It's probably the best low tier MD school. Great campus and student body. So people with lower stats have a chance if they can prove they're a good fit. And same goes for higher stats applicants who want a "safety" but they still have to prove they fit Loyola's mission.

It's probably the best low tier MD school. Great campus and student body. So people with lower stats have a chance if they can prove they're a good fit. And same goes for higher stats applicants who want a "safety" but they still have to prove they fit Loyola's mission.
It’s Definitely not low tier. It’s ranked consistently in the 50s and 60s by residency directors. If that’s low tier then mid tier doesn’t exist.