2020-2021 Loyola (Stritch)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It’s Definitely not low tier. It’s ranked consistently in the 50s and 60s by residency directors. If that’s low tier then mid tier doesn’t exist.

I was going off USNWR which lists it at 88. But your metric is more important so I appreciate the clarification. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am trying to submit my secondary, but I do not see the "submit" button. I answered question 1-5 and put N/A for 6. Anyone have any suggestions.

Hi, try using a different browser. I kept clicking "Save and Continue" on Firefox and it just kept me on the page. When I switched over to Google Chrome, it finally took me to the next page. Let me know if it works!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So, if I'm only taking one gap year, do I not write about it anywhere? Or should I write in #7? I can't tell if the question is only referring to gaps within undergrad education or if a gap year would fall in this category.

So, if I'm only taking one gap year, do I not write about it anywhere? Or should I write in #7? I can't tell if the question is only referring to gaps within undergrad education or if a gap year would fall in this category.
I am planning to write about my two gap years in #7! But I would say the way the question is asked leaves it open to elaborate if you are doing one gap year as well.

Does anyone know if Biochemistry can count for both bio and chem credits for their requirements?
I'm not entirely sure, but I think it's possible to double-count biochem for the categories, as long as you have 30 total BCPM credits without double-counting biochem's credits.

One of my letters hasn't been received, but I sent it a while ago. Anyone else have this issue?

Can a student please tell me what is unique about this school? Having a lot of trouble writing this secondary

Can a student please tell me what is unique about this school? Having a lot of trouble writing this secondary
A school being unique is a very personal thing / should be very personally driven in an effective secondary response. Do you have specific questions?

A school being unique is a very personal thing / should be very personally driven in an effective secondary response. Do you have specific questions?

Is there anything special about the curriculum or atmosphere compared to other schools?

Is there anything special about the curriculum or atmosphere compared to other schools?
You can Dm me. I will say, the more you try and find this information on your own the better off you will be. It will only take you an hour or so of research to find the answer you want.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really want to go to a school with a lot of teamwork opportunities and extra learning (writing about lifelong learning)

You can Dm me. I will say, the more you try and find this information on your own the better off you will be. It will only take you an hour or so of research to find the answer you want.
While I agree that doing a deep dive into a school's online content (web page, publications, community involvement, what have you) is a great start to learning about a school, I think there is merit to trying to learn more about a school from current students. I think maybe that is what sheeeeesh is trying to get at, a perspective from current students... I met current students at those AAMC Virtual Fairs for a handful of the schools I am most interested in. And, while I initially thought those virtual fairs seemed lame, I ended up being e-mail pen-pals with a couple students at schools that became great resources and a strong motivator for my interest in certain institutions. Interacting/communicating with students that are enthusiastic about their school and excited to share their perspective is a great way to see what kind of students you will be learning with, and student insider-information is hard to come by on school web pages. Granted, that also takes thoughtfully researched and properly worded questions to get a conversation going, and that means work on the part of the applicants trying to learn more! But I would argue that there is only so much you can learn through trying to do research on your own, and I think that's where sheeeeesh might be coming from. Just my two cents.

Reactions: 2 users
Is the secondary for MD-PhD the same as MD only?
(If it’s different and anyone has any insight into the secondary process for this cycle or previous cycles for MD-PhD that would be amazing).
Thank you

Thank you! I did DM you

While I agree that doing a deep dive into a school's online content (web page, publications, community involvement, what have you) is a great start to learning about a school, I think there is merit to trying to learn more about a school from current students. I think maybe that is what sheeeeesh is trying to get at, a perspective from current students... I met current students at those AAMC Virtual Fairs for a handful of the schools I am most interested in. And, while I initially thought those virtual fairs seemed lame, I ended up being e-mail pen-pals with a couple students at schools that became great resources and a strong motivator for my interest in certain institutions. Interacting/communicating with students that are enthusiastic about their school and excited to share their perspective is a great way to see what kind of students you will be learning with, and student insider-information is hard to come by on school web pages. Granted, that also takes thoughtfully researched and properly worded questions to get a conversation going, and that means work on the part of the applicants trying to learn more! But I would argue that there is only so much you can learn through trying to do research on your own, and I think that's where sheeeeesh might be coming from. Just my two cents.

Wow that’s a long paragraph. I just told him to do some research first and dm me which they did lol.

Would my time spent with Special Olympics be a good answer for number two to speak on the discriminatory way society treats those who have intellectual and physical disabilities which in turn leads to poorer outcomes?

• Love
Would my time spent with Special Olympics be a good answer for number two to speak on the discriminatory way society treats those who have intellectual and physical disabilities which in turn leads to poorer outcomes?
Yeah, that would be a good one to talk about. Sounds unique too!

I left #7 (Please explain in more detail (in less than 1500 characters) anything that would help us understand any gaps or delays in your education, academic missteps, or personal challenges not listed elsewhere.) blank thinking it was not applicable to me and didn't realize I should have written about my gap years here. Is this the kind of thing I should submit an update for? To explain hat I have done with my first gap year, and what I plan to do with my second gap year?

I left #7 (Please explain in more detail (in less than 1500 characters) anything that would help us understand any gaps or delays in your education, academic missteps, or personal challenges not listed elsewhere.) blank thinking it was not applicable to me and didn't realize I should have written about my gap years here. Is this the kind of thing I should submit an update for? To explain hat I have done with my first gap year, and what I plan to do with my second gap year?
It means more a gap during college (taking a medical leave of absence or some such) so if you are having your "gap years" after graduating you didn't need to answer this.
Also question #8 about it being more than 2 years since enrolled -if it has only been one year for you, you could have chosen to answer this one, or not.

My primary was verified 8 days ago but still haven't gotten a secondary rip

I logged in to check my status and it said "Your file has been initially reviewed by the Committee on Admissions. Your file will be held for further review later in the cycle. The review process is continuous from now until the conclusion of our interview season in February. If you wish to update your file, please do so within your portal. Thank you for your interest in Loyola University Chicago-Stritch School of Medicine."

What does this mean?

I logged in to check my status and it said "Your file has been initially reviewed by the Committee on Admissions. Your file will be held for further review later in the cycle. The review process is continuous from now until the conclusion of our interview season in February. If you wish to update your file, please do so within your portal. Thank you for your interest in Loyola University Chicago-Stritch School of Medicine."

What does this mean?
That is a hold for re-review! Do you mind sharing when you were complete

What does this mean?

I think it just means they’ll hold ur app as they compare it with other apps throughout the cycle. When did u submit ur secondary?

Reactions: 1 users

What does this mean?
you are on hold and they will re-look at your file once more applicants pile up to be able to compare

Reactions: 1 users
I'm annoyed at question #1 lol. Wasnt that basically the prompt for the AMCAS personal statement?
trying really hard not to copy and paste sections from my personal statement....... Lol @ question #1

finally submitted this secondary after having it for over two weeks. Let me just say this secondary was a lot of work o_O

Yes, I do think some of these schools use the type, number, and length of prompts as a means to filter out those that are half-hearted in their interest. Va Tech was another bear as is Miami which I haven't done yet. Oh joy...

Yes, I do think some of these schools use the type, number, and length of prompts as a means to filter out those that are half-hearted in their interest. Va Tech was another bear as is Miami which I haven't done yet. Oh joy...
ayyeeee I'm still muddling my way through Miami too, I find it even harder than Loyola's :oops:

when you log into the secondary portal, is there a date next to "primary application received" ? For some reason mine doesn't have a date

haha I am working on Miami too. I like their optional questions tbh

anyone struggling with their website?? finding it extremely difficult to navigate. I can't even seem to find the curriculum outline.

I submitted letters via AMCAS weeks ago but am getting a notice that they are not in yet...is there a way to see which letters were or were not delivered or do they receive them only after a submitted secondary?

I submitted letters via AMCAS weeks ago but am getting a notice that they are not in yet...is there a way to see which letters were or were not delivered or do they receive them only after a submitted secondary?

It took them a week after I submitted my secondary to mark my letters as received even though my letters were in AMCAS.

anyone struggling with their website?? finding it extremely difficult to navigate. I can't even seem to find the curriculum outline.
I found their website hard to navigate too, very outdated. I could barely even find any special programs they offer for students with volunteering or research. Just keep digging I guess :/

I can't believe the only essay I pre-wrote for Loyola is the only one they kept about a challenge. I've never been so happy to be a procrastinator.

Is anyone leaving #7 blank (Please explain in more detail (in less than 1500 characters) anything that would help us understand any gaps or delays in your education, academic missteps, or personal challenges not listed elsewhere.)?

Also, for those of us only just starting our gap year, are you leaving #8 blank since we don't have two years? I'm planning to just put my current plans in #6.

Last edited:
I can't believe the only essay I pre-wrote for Loyola is the only one they kept about a challenge. I've never been so happy to be a procrastinator.

Is anyone leaving #7 blank (Please explain in more detail (in less than 1500 characters) anything that would help us understand any gaps or delays in your education, academic missteps, or personal challenges not listed elsewhere.)?

Also, for those of us only just starting our gap year, are you leaving #8 blank since we don't have two years? I'm planning to just put my current plans in #6.
yep, i left 7 blank and just put current plans in number 6.

Submit my secondary last night but never got an email and it doesn't reflect on the portal status page except for the fact it says it is "finalized" when I try to go back in to the editing part. How long did it take for your guys to update? Had some problems submitting and want to make sure it actually went through.

Submit my secondary last night but never got an email and it doesn't reflect on the portal status page except for the fact it says it is "finalized" when I try to go back in to the editing part. How long did it take for your guys to update? Had some problems submitting and want to make sure it actually went through.
Mine took 7 days from submission to completion