Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Still waiting to hear back about an II. I was complete back at the end of August. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Still waiting to hear back about an II. I was complete back at the end of August. :(

Can take up to 60 days from complete to hear back. No need to fret yet. Patience is definitely a virtue when applying to medical school, if not a virtue it will at least keep you half sane.

Reactions: 2 users
Can take up to 60 days from complete to hear back. No need to fret yet. Patience is definitely a virtue when applying to medical school, if not a virtue it will at least keep you half sane.
Of course, definitely! It was quite possibly the lack of sleep triggering tension. :zombie:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
After a long drawn out AACOMAS verification snafu, I finally got verified and received my secondary 4 days ago. Submitted tonight! Top choice DO school, probably above some of the MD programs... Hopefully it isn't too late!

After a long drawn out AACOMAS verification snafu, I finally got verified and received my secondary 4 days ago. Submitted tonight! Top choice DO school, probably above some of the MD programs... Hopefully it isn't too late!

Definitely not too late. There are like 5 more months of interviews, my friend. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted this morning! :) I didn't feel very confident after my interview here so this is a pleasant surprise! I fell in love with the school when I visited.
Congratulations! Can I ask what your stats are??

I've been verified since October 2nd but no secondary :(

I've been verified since October 2nd but no secondary :(
I was a couple weeks ago. I'm sure it's just the timing. It's later in the cycle. I only recently submitted my secondary though, about... 23 days or so after getting it. I was WL'ed last cycle so I've been paranoid about perfecting it because this is my top choice.

Has anyone that interviewed on 9/26 not heard back yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the secondary! I think I can wrap this up by tomorrow. The first question is the hardest for me because I don't have any rural medicine exposure. I have worked with DO's in the ER as a scribe so I'm planning to write about that.. not sure if EM is considered primary care though.

By the way, not sure if it's just me, but anyone else love DMU's clean and organized web layout? Gives me good vibes :cool:

Just got the secondary! I think I can wrap this up by tomorrow. The first question is the hardest for me because I don't have any rural medicine exposure. I have worked with DO's in the ER as a scribe so I'm planning to write about that.. not sure if EM is considered primary care though.

By the way, not sure if it's just me, but anyone else love DMU's clean and organized web layout? Gives me good vibes :cool:
EM isn't primary care, but it underscores the need for primary care physicians. People seek primary care in the ER due to a lack of access to primary care (financially/geographically).

Hello! I have a couple of questions:

1) For those of you who have interviewed already, how many candidates were there?
2) Has anyone scheduled their interview date and then moved it to an earlier date? If so, did you just call admissions to change it? I originally scheduled for December but I am hoping to move it to late October/early November.
3) Lastly, does anyone know how many people DMU typically interviews? I am just trying to get a feel for how competitive I am given that I will be interviewing a little later in the cycle.

Thank you so much and good luck to everyone applying this cycle :)

Only have concrete answer to # 1: ~15 in my batch
For #2: I am sure you could call and see if there were earlier dates available.
For #3: I do remember reading/hearing, that the school interviews ~600 and accepts ~400.

Hello! I have a couple of questions:

1) For those of you who have interviewed already, how many candidates were there?
2) Has anyone scheduled their interview date and then moved it to an earlier date? If so, did you just call admissions to change it? I originally scheduled for December but I am hoping to move it to late October/early November.
3) Lastly, does anyone know how many people DMU typically interviews? I am just trying to get a feel for how competitive I am given that I will be interviewing a little later in the cycle.

Thank you so much and good luck to everyone applying this cycle :)

Number of candidates seems to fluctuate on any given interview day. A good guess is around 12 to 15 each interview day, except the weird Monday interview date, there seemed to be around 10.

You would have to call admissions to find out if any earlier slots have opened up from individuals cancelling. I don't believe there is any other way of knowing that, and you have to call to change your date anyways.

DMU interviews around 650 to 700 individuals for 224 slots.

I interviewed in early December last cycle and the class was around half full according to admissions staff. Keep in mind this is a new cycle, but if you have anymore specific questions feel free to pm me.

EM isn't primary care, but it underscores the need for primary care physicians. People seek primary care in the ER due to a lack of access to primary care (financially/geographically).

Ah yeah, great point. I have seen on several occasions patients who came in without seeing their family doc first. I'm hoping to add my thoughts about this in my essay, but unfortunately I can't talk about my experience with primary care DO's or rural medicine. I'm going to see if I can shadow one by this weekend, if not I'll go ahead and submit with what I have.

Accepted this morning! Interviewed 9/29!

Reactions: 3 users
Congratulations! What kind of experience did you have at the interview?
I felt that DMU values me a lot. After I introduced myself, they asked follow-up questions to really try to get to know me. My interviewers have read my application thoroughly. I've been to other schools where interviewers wouldn't know my name without looking at my badge....

Overall, it's a very pleasant experience. The interview questions were not trying to trick me. Just show them how enthusiastic you are about DMU and show them how you'll fit in there. You'll be fine.

Just got an acceptance letter this morning!!! I am so thrilled!!!

Those of you who are on hold or rejected, I know it's very difficult.. I been there.. I applied last year but I got rejected from every school. It's very upsetting and frustrating but keep your heads up. Look at me! :) It's still early and PM me if you have any questions on how I improved my application.

Reactions: 7 users
Just got accepted this morning! Interviewed 9/29!

Reactions: 6 users
Has anyone made a facebook group yet?

hey guys.. question

i just submitted my secondary yesterday
3.7 cGPA 3.6 sGPA
research (including a summer program at an MD school)
plenty of volunteering
plenty of shadowing (though only once with a DO)
24 MCAT (8/7/9)

I am retaking my MCAT on 11/7 and I put that I wanted DMU to hold off on processing my application until I get those scores. Was that a wise idea? I know I'm below DMU's average MCAT, but I wanted to see what other people thought. I'd like to get the interview sooner rather than later if the majority of people think I could get an interview with my 24, otherwise I will wait for my 11/7 scores to come back. Obviously don't want to have them look at it now and then reject me and then have me have to appeal or worse yet, lose all chances of DMU this cycle.

hey guys.. question

i just submitted my secondary yesterday
3.7 cGPA 3.6 sGPA
research (including a summer program at an MD school)
plenty of volunteering
plenty of shadowing (though only once with a DO)
24 MCAT (8/7/9)

I am retaking my MCAT on 11/7 and I put that I wanted DMU to hold off on processing my application until I get those scores. Was that a wise idea? I know I'm below DMU's average MCAT, but I wanted to see what other people thought. I'd like to get the interview sooner rather than later if the majority of people think I could get an interview with my 24, otherwise I will wait for my 11/7 scores to come back. Obviously don't want to have them look at it now and then reject me and then have me have to appeal or worse yet, lose all chances of DMU this cycle.

The late submission to begin with and a later second MCAT put you at a disadvantage with rolling admissions. I'm not sure you would be able to get an interview with a 24 though as DMU's MCAT average is creeping toward 29-30.

Get 30+ on your second MCAT and your chances will improve but it's not a guarantee.

Has anyone made a facebook group yet?

I don't believe so. Feel free to be the first if you're Facebook savvy. Some of the current first years will join the group to answer questions and what not. We have a large number of second years on the Class of 2018 page that help out quite a bit.

The late submission to begin with and a later second MCAT put you at a disadvantage with rolling admissions. I'm not sure you would be able to get an interview with a 24 though as DMU's MCAT average is creeping toward 29-30.

Get 30+ on your second MCAT and your chances will improve but it's not a guarantee.

kind of what I was thinking.
thanks. i'd rather put my best foot forward than to be rejected on something i don't consider to be representative of my true self.

i'll take my chances.

I don't believe so. Feel free to be the first if you're Facebook savvy. Some of the current first years will join the group to answer questions and what not. We have a large number of second years on the Class of 2018 page that help out quite a bit.

Maybe a few of us that troll ya too, eh? :D

Anyone send letters through interfolio?

How long did it take for them to receive it. Just trying to get an idea
it got delivered on the Oct 13th but I only submitted my secondaries yesterday. I'm not sure if they send a confirmation email that they received it or if it shows up on the portal but I haven't seen anything yet. The portal says DMU is closed though....maybe thats misinformation though?

it got delivered on the Oct 13th but I only submitted my secondaries yesterday. I'm not sure if they send a confirmation email that they received it or if it shows up on the portal but I haven't seen anything yet. The portal says DMU is closed though....maybe thats misinformation though?

hmm not sure about that. I just submitted the letters now but haven't completed my secondary. I sent them earlier just in case they take a while to reach them. Should be finishing up the secondary tonight

Keep your heads up underdogs and late applicants! I got an interview, and my stats are lower than most all others I have seen posted thus far. It really gives me a good feeling about DMU, to know that they really are looking past the stats. Even if it doesn't work out, they will always be good in my book for giving me the opportunity.

Also, does anyone know what percentage of interviewees are accepted?

I've been a long-time lurker, but after getting ACCEPTED last week I wanted to post. :D

My stats are 30 MCAT, 3.79 cgpa, 3.65 sgpa. I have a wealth of volunteering (something like 1500 hours) but next to no shadowing (20 hours) and very minimal research (working as a grunt in a lab for a summer.) I'm also atypical as I do not have a science major. I completed my secondary in mid-August, got an interview invite 3 days later, and interviewed on October 2nd. I got accepted on the 15th.

I honestly felt a little under pressure at my interview-- they asked a lot about the bad parts of my application, specifically because those were the areas they were worried about. Yet it went fine as I got accepted a week and a half after I interviewed! Just be prepared to explain any gaps in your application.

As for the school, DMU was -very- impressive. I've had four other interviews and none of the schools left me as excited as DMU. If I don't get into the one state MD school near me, I will be definitely going to DMU next fall. '

Also the Dean, Dr. Polk, is amazing.

Reactions: 5 users
Would accepted applicants mind to share stats?

I was accepted with a 3.7 cumulative and science gpa, and a 30 MCAT.

Keep your heads up underdogs and late applicants! I got an interview, and my stats are lower than most all others I have seen posted thus far. It really gives me a good feeling about DMU, to know that they really are looking past the stats. Even if it doesn't work out, they will always be good in my book for giving me the opportunity.
Oh. Were you on hold ? I am. I am just getting the impression that DMU is not that receptive to OOS with grad work , tons of clinical work and a year of Americorp service.