Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to everyone else accepted!!!

Anyone able to comment on the laptops that the school provdes? Do they provide them right away? Just wondering how it works. Thanks :)
You get them during orientation.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh-my stats for anyone interested. gpa: 3.37 sgpa: 3.25 MCAT: 28 Going on 2 years of work experience in health care

Interview tomorrow! Staying at the days inn if anyone needs a ride (I have a car).

Members don't see this ad :)
AACOMAS finally verified! Waiting for my DMU secondary. Top DO choice for me!

Reactions: 1 user
The trend so far seems to be that acceptance notices go out on the Monday or Tuesday 17-19 days after the interview. Now I can really get myself anxious as I wait for October 20-21 :)

But really, its a great turnaround time.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all, I just submitted my primaries to a few schools to add a few to my list. I was originally done and submitted to a bunch of schools in June...have had three interviews, and am waiting to hear on two of them. I figured I would broaden my horizons to schools I would like to go to but originally didnt have the money to apply at. I have 3.4 sgpa, 3.7cgpa, international mission trips, Mcat 26. What do you think chances are, applying right now, kinda of mid-cycle? Can anyone say what my chances may be? Also, anyone from BYU apply here with info? If so, PM me?

Hey all, I just submitted my primaries to a few schools to add a few to my list. I was originally done and submitted to a bunch of schools in June...have had three interviews, and am waiting to hear on two of them. I figured I would broaden my horizons to schools I would like to go to but originally didnt have the money to apply at. I have 3.4 sgpa, 3.7cgpa, international mission trips, Mcat 26. What do you think chances are, applying right now, kinda of mid-cycle? Can anyone say what my chances may be? Also, anyone from BYU apply here with info? If so, PM me?
Look for a guy named "I love genetics" he's from BYU and interviewed here.

If you, or anyone else from Utah has any questions like the transition from UT to IA, what the wards are like, etc I'm a first year here and more than happy to answer them for you.

If you, or anyone else from Utah has any questions like the transition from UT to IA, what the wards are like, etc I'm a first year here and more than happy to answer them for you.
That would be awesome. If I end up heading out there I will be in touch!

Members don't see this ad :)
Placed on hold. Taking this as essentially a rejection, for preparation purposes. An eventual interview invite (if not later than January or February) will be a pleasant surprise.

Placed on hold. Taking this as essentially a rejection, for preparation purposes. An eventual interview invite (if not later than January or February) will be a pleasant surprise.
Did you know that you can call them to get feedback on improving your app from the hold status? I just called and she happen to say that I can speak with an admin counselor right now if I wanted to. She gave me some reasons why I was placed on hold and tips to improve my chance!

Reactions: 4 users
I didn't. Thanks for telling me. I'll give them a call then. I'm sure it has to do with cGPA or lack of DO shadowing. Could potentially improve DO shadowing time, but cGPA won't change much. At least not until January. We'll see if I'm in a position to improve my chances there. Otherwise, I'll have to focus on those where I'm interviewing.

ACCEPTED THIS MORNING! So incredibly excited to start come next August. Good luck guys the acceptances will start rolling now! Interviewed 9/19. So stoked!

Reactions: 9 users
ACCEPTED this morning! The best email I have ever received! This was my top choice, so I could not be happier. Interviewed 9/25. Congrats to everyone who I look forward to calling classmates next fall!

Reactions: 7 users
ACCEPTED this morning! Interviewed 9/26! I am so excited-this school impressed me in every way possible. Can't wait!!

Reactions: 7 users
Congrats to everyone who was accepted!! I hope to see you guys around campus next year!

I got accepted too! Interviewed 9/26! Super stoked! I will definitely be coming here!

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats everyone!!! We should make a fb group!

Accepted this morning!!! Interviewed 9/25. This was my first acceptance and I could not be more excited!!!

As a 1st year who was nervously reading all these posts for months last year during my cycle before I interviewed:

1) congratulations!
2) if you're comfortable doing so, post your stats!

Wait listed, can't say I'm surprised and I was kind of expecting it. Interviewed 9/25

Wait listed. Exactly what I thought was gonna happen after my interview. KCUMB here I come!
Sorry to hear back your wait-list, but KCUMB would be lucky to have you!

But just out of curiosity, what made you think that you were gonna be wait listed after the interview?

lol? LOL? I'LL GIVE YOU A REASON TO LOL

crazy_ap.gif

Sorry to hear back your wait-list, but KCUMB would be lucky to have you!

But just out of curiosity, what made you think that you were gonna be wait listed after the interview?
I felt very comfortable in all 3 of my other interviews I have had. The DMU interview was very different.

First off, I was exhausted coming into it. It's not an excuse, but when I am tired, it's very hard for me to formulate deep thoughts and convey what I would like on the spot. That being said, I went into it and totally messed up the first and second questions. I really didn't answer the questions. After the interview I was kicking myself. The last 2/3 of the interview went better, but still. I also got asked questions I have never been asked before. "What does medicine mean to you?" "What is neuroscience?"

They just caught me off guard.

So if you interviewed on the same day as those receiving acceptances and wait list offers, and didn't hear anything, does that mean rejection? Do they send rejection emails?

So if you interviewed on the same day as those receiving acceptances and wait list offers, and didn't hear anything, does that mean rejection? Do they send rejection emails?
I believe you can an email either way.

Also based off of avatar alone I really want you to come to DMU

Accepted this morning! :) I didn't feel very confident after my interview here so this is a pleasant surprise! I fell in love with the school when I visited.

Wait listed after 9/19 interview. Still glad I have a chance. Anyone know if DMU lets you know how far you are on the wait list?

Did you know that you can call them to get feedback on improving your app from the hold status? I just called and she happen to say that I can speak with an admin counselor right now if I wanted to. She gave me some reasons why I was placed on hold and tips to improve my chance!

Mind if I ask how the tone of the conversation was? If the staff member was nice? I got my second pre-interview hold today and I'm just hesitant to call if I'm going to be told my mcat is too bad. I think everything else on my ap is okay. Thanks

About to drop my interview spot for 10/31 here. Hope one of you gets it!

Mind if I ask how the tone of the conversation was? If the staff member was nice? I got my second pre-interview hold today and I'm just hesitant to call if I'm going to be told my mcat is too bad. I think everything else on my ap is okay. Thanks
Oh her tone was very professional and respectful! She just said that the school average is 3.6 and 28, and that mine stats are a bit below that. She didn't say anything negative about my grades or anything along the lines of having no chance getting into DMU. So she said if there are any additional course work, the make sure to submit that. She also mentioned a few things about ECs to improve. She didn't make me feel stupid or disqualified at all!

Last edited:
Oh her tone was very professional and respectful! She just said that the school average is 3.6 and 28, and that mine stats are a bit below that. She didn't say anything negative about my grades or anything along the lines of having no chance getting into DMU. So she said if there are any additional course work, the make sure to submit that. She also mentioned a few things about ECs to improve. She didn't make me feel stupid or disqualified at all!

Thanks, I really appreciate your response. That does make me feel better, and I think I'll call them tomorrow.

Are there video recordings of lectures at DMU? Is attendance required?
Also what is the grading system- tradition A/B/C/D/F or Pass/Fail?

Thank you :)

Last edited:
Are there video recordings of lectures at DMU? Is attendance required?
Also what is the grading system- tradition A/B/C/D/F or Pass/Fail?

Thank you :)

There are audio recordings with associated powerpoint video. Video feed of the lecturer isn't provided though. Attendance is definitely note required, except for OMM lectures/labs, Anatomy lab/grand rounds, medical ethics, and various professional certification classes we do.

Grading scale is the normal except you have to have better than a C in all classes. So the grading scale goes A+/A/A- 90-100, B+/B/B- 80-89, and C+/C/C- 70-79. Below a 70 is an F and you have to retake the course in the summer

II here last week!!
I have a question regarding the scheduling of my interview. I am applying to Other schools also. If I were to interview at Des moines in November and earn an acceptance, is there any way around the 1000 dollar deposit?

If Des moines is not my top choice, should I push back my interview date, or will this put me at a disadvantage?

I believe all accepted before Nov 15 have until Dec 14 to put down a deposit. After Nov 15, you have 30 days to decide.

II here last week!!
I have a question regarding the scheduling of my interview. I am applying to Other schools also. If I were to interview at Des moines in November and earn an acceptance, is there any way around the 1000 dollar deposit?

If Des moines is not my top choice, should I push back my interview date, or will this put me at a disadvantage?

You have to put down half of the deposit, not the entire deposit. 500 before Dec 15 or within 30 days after your interview depending on when your interview is. The second 500 deposit isn't due until April or May. I believe it's May.

DMU does rolling admissions, so pushing back your date won't exactly help you.

They have to. They couldn't interview everyone who applies.

what I meant was...has anyone received one thus far? I got a weird email from them today, but they said it was a mistake...

Last edited: