Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was accepted with 3.65 GPA and MCAT of 31 (12/7/12) and retake of 30 (10/9/11)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Dudekmm: I was accepted with 3.65 GPA and MCAT of 31 (12/7/12) and retake of 30 (10/9/11).

I Like Genetics: accepted with 3.71 cGPA 3.54 sGPA and MCAT of 33.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh. Were you on hold ? I am. I am just getting the impression that DMU is not that receptive to OOS with grad work , tons of clinical work and a year of Americorp service.
I'm OOS as well, but no hold. I can't pin exactly what it is DMU is looking for in its applicants, but I hope all goes well for you. Let me know if you hear from them!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh. Were you on hold ? I am. I am just getting the impression that DMU is not that receptive to OOS with grad work , tons of clinical work and a year of Americorp service.

No, we admit tons of people from basically every background. I know plenty of students with an MS degree. I myself have around 12k hours of clinical experience. Lots of people with proper careers in their past lives. The list goes on. Interestingly, we also have a majority of the class (2017) OOS. Lots of CA, MN, UT, IL, etc. I didn't take note of this, but did you get to interview and then put on hold, or is it a pre-interview hold? If you want, feel free to PM me for insight as to what might have landed you there. As a trained student interviewer, maybe I can help you out in some way.

I feel like it's also worth mentioning that I got accepted for c/o 2017 with what some might consider questionable stats (3.3/3.3/29). My transcripts have an F, several W's, a fair number of C's, but a very nice upward trend in my last 4 semesters. I had about 50 hours of volunteer tutoring and around (again) 12k hours of clinical work experience, probably <50 hours of physician shadowing total and no time spent with a DO.

The point is to illustrate that these things we tend to fixate on as applicants have an underlying reason. Figure out what the school intends to assess with each and figure out how to represent those qualities in yourself regardless of your background.

I had crappy grades and truly spotty transcripts, yet I figured out how to convince the school that I would survive med school. I had very little volunteer experience, yet I was able to adequately show compassion and charity as personal qualities. I did not work with a DO at any point, yet I was able to represent that I truly knew what a DO was and why I wanted to become one myself.

Reactions: 5 users
Would accepted applicants mind to share stats?

I was accepted with a 3.37 GPA; 28 MCAT; worked as a scribe at an orthopedics practice for 1 year and a consultant at an electronic medical records company for 1 year (going on 2).

In my opinion, my work experience got me the acceptance (my scribe gig with ortho surgeons gave me the clinical knowledge and my consultant gig has broadened my understanding of how a hospital works and allowed me to work with everyone in a hospital (not only docs, but nurses, techs, schedulers, admins, etc.).

I definitely sold the combination of work experiences in my interview--also undergrad school name carries weight...even with the lower GPA.

Do we receive a confirmation when they get our enrollment agreement in the mail? I just want them to confirm that they got it first and then send them the deposit. Has anyone that has mailed the agreement receive a confirmation of delivery from them?

Do we receive a confirmation when they get our enrollment agreement in the mail? I just want them to confirm that they got it first and then send them the deposit. Has anyone that has mailed the agreement receive a confirmation of delivery from them?

I don't remember them sending confirmation e-mails. Give admissions a quick call and they will verify for you, that's what I did because I was slightly paranoid. lol

I did receive a confirmation after sending it via email. It took about 24-48 hours if I remember correctly

I was accepted with a 3.37 GPA; 28 MCAT; worked as a scribe at an orthopedics practice for 1 year and a consultant at an electronic medical records company for 1 year (going on 2).

In my opinion, my work experience got me the acceptance (my scribe gig with ortho surgeons gave me the clinical knowledge and my consultant gig has broadened my understanding of how a hospital works and allowed me to work with everyone in a hospital (not only docs, but nurses, techs, schedulers, admins, etc.).

I definitely sold the combination of work experiences in my interview--also undergrad school name carries weight...even with the lower GPA.

hoping to do the same if they offer me an interview. 3.7 cGPA 3.6sGPA 24 MCAT

Members don't see this ad :)
It's been quiet in here. Anybody going to 2nd Look Day next spring?

Enrollment form confirmed and deposit paid :)

Reactions: 4 users
Rejected today. What a bummer. Nontraditional applicant. 28 MCAT. 3.3 sGPA and 3.5 cGPA

sorry to hear that DaddyBex

Thanks @baxt1412 ...first DO rejection...had to happen at some point!

Good luck to everyone else applying! Y'all seem like competent students and competitive applicants.

Best of luck with future endeavors, whether that be medicine or otherwise!

Interviewing on 11/21. My stats are: cGPA 3.91, sGPA 3.89, MCAT #1 25 (9/7/9), #2 30 (11/9/10). Does anyone that has had an interview have any advice?

Interviewing on 11/21. My stats are: cGPA 3.91, sGPA 3.89, MCAT #1 25 (9/7/9), #2 30 (11/9/10). Does anyone that has had an interview have any advice?

Relax, be yourself, and find out if the school is somewhere you feel comfortable. Remember that you've already made it through the biggest cuts to get invited to interview. You'll spend the morning learning about the school from several deans and the OMM fellows. The presenters seemed to like it when we asked questions, so if you have one go ahead and ask. You'll have lunch with some current students, so take advantage of the chance to ask them about their experiences with DMU. Interviews and tours (with the students you ate lunch with) are after lunch, and you could have either first. It's a low-stress conversational interview with a panel (most likely a PhD, a DO and a student). I didn't get any unusual questions, and the other interviewees didn't mention any either. I think they really just want to get to know you.

Look up who you have as your interviewers on the sheet and ask the students at lunch about them. I did and I was super grateful as I found out that one of my interviewers simply doesn't smile a lot, and seemed annoyed the whole time-- but the guy I asked assured me of this beforehand, that it wasn't anything specifically about me causing it, and it made me panic far less. (And I did get him to laugh at one point, so he wasn't just a robot!)

Also eat breakfast. It's a long morning and they only offer coffee, soda and granola bars when you get there.

Look up who you have as your interviewers on the sheet and ask the students at lunch about them. I did and I was super grateful as I found out that one of my interviewers simply doesn't smile a lot, and seemed annoyed the whole time-- but the guy I asked assured me of this beforehand, that it wasn't anything specifically about me causing it, and it made me panic far less. (And I did get him to laugh at one point, so he wasn't just a robot!)

Also eat breakfast. It's a long morning and they only offer coffee, soda and granola bars when you get there.

Dr. Means?

YES. He was easily the hardest interviewer I've had in 5 interviews. He asked me where I thought evil came from.

Jesus Christ, Means. His test questions were enough for me.

Were you looking at the other interviewers? How hard did the student roll his/her eyes?

Were you looking at the other interviewers? How hard did the student roll his/her eyes?

I thought it was better to hold eye contact with him, despite the awkwardly hard questions he posed. So sadly I didn't notice that. But honestly being pre-warned about him probably kept me from walking out of the interview in a panic attack and walking straight into the nearest bar for a drink.

Yea, he's a bit hard to read, but then again, that level of control plays well into his field. Hence the comparison to robots. That's an odd question, but a sincere answer should have been as much as could be expected. Him and Dr. Pandeya can be a bit tough, but otherwise, the interviewers tend to be conversational and straightforward. Tricky business is a rarity.

Yeah, I had Pandeya, and definitely felt a bit intimidated. But I got accepted, so either he liked me, or the other two pulled enough to counter him.

how would it generally be accepted to answer with a direct but not overly obsessive/over the top religious answer for the evil question? i have no idea how i would answer that without referencing my christianity.

Classic Means.

I would have loved that question but I know you super sciencey folk hate that kinda thing.

how would it generally be accepted to answer with a direct but not overly obsessive/over the top religious answer for the evil question? i have no idea how i would answer that without referencing my christianity.
There is no one correct answer. If referencing your Christianity feels like what's true for you, then do that. It's trying to gauge your views on the world more than anything else

Classic Means.

I would have loved that question but I know you super sciencey folk hate that kinda thing.

I would have just said, "It comes from midichlorians" and left it at that.

I would have just said, "It comes from midichlorians" and left it at that.
Oh so it gets passed thru maternal DNA? What chu tryin to say?

Lol
Notsrs

Classic Means.

I'm actually a non-science major and didn't HATE it.. I just had a moment of panic first.

It was given in response to talking about work I do with campus sexual assault advocacy and prevention. I said something along the lines that it's largely mob mentality and that evil isn't the first route we'd choose but were habituated to it by our culture of consumerism. I went into a tangent then about arguing against Steven Pinker and how I disagree with his novel and how I think the true cause of human (and specifically sexual) violence began with agriculture since I'd literally read it a few weeks before. And then to prevent it I said the key was in education, using an example of how rape prevention targeted to potential rapists is far more affective than telling women to walk in twos or watch their drinks.

Basically I rambled on for a while after staring at him shocked and confused for half a second.

or we could all just....

hqdefault.jpg

sorry for any canuck applicants lol

I'm actually a non-science major and didn't HATE it.. I just had a moment of panic first.

It was given in response to talking about work I do with campus sexual assault advocacy and prevention. I said something along the lines that it's largely mob mentality and that evil isn't the first route we'd choose but were habituated to it by our culture of consumerism. I went into a tangent then about arguing against Steven Pinker and how I disagree with his novel and how I think the true cause of human (and specifically sexual) violence began with agriculture since I'd literally read it a few weeks before. And then to prevent it I said the key was in education, using an example of how rape prevention targeted to potential rapists is far more affective than telling women to walk in twos or watch their drinks.

Basically I rambled on for a while after staring at him shocked and confused for half a second.
I think that's legit

I was a sexual assault/domestic violence advocate, and I'm a member of med students for choice here on campus. I know last year we had a SANE nurse come in and talk about the process of going through a rape kit, and I'm not sure if we are doing the same thing this year or something different, but if that's something you are passionate about there are definitely events here that look at sexual assault from a medical standpoint. We also talked a good deal about domestic violence in behavioral medicine. Anddd I'm rambling because all my brain can think is biochem right now.

I think that's legit

I was a sexual assault/domestic violence advocate, and I'm a member of med students for choice here on campus. I know last year we had a SANE nurse come in and talk about the process of going through a rape kit, and I'm not sure if we are doing the same thing this year or something different, but if that's something you are passionate about there are definitely events here that look at sexual assault from a medical standpoint. We also talked a good deal about domestic violence in behavioral medicine. Anddd I'm rambling because all my brain can think is biochem right now.

I've been a victim advocate for three years now and helped start a community group that raises sexual assault awareness. So definitely interested! I've worked with over 30 SANE nurses and have so much respect for them. You're just convincing me even further to choose DMU now. ;)

My UG is small. very small. they were going to try to start up an awareness/advocacy group and i was signed up to help but it never got off the ground. it's a shame because I was an RA for 3 years and I know there were plenty of cases. Far more than most people on our campus were aware of.

My UG is small. very small. they were going to try to start up an awareness/advocacy group and i was signed up to help but it never got off the ground. it's a shame because I was an RA for 3 years and I know there were plenty of cases. Far more than most people on our campus were aware of.
That's sad. Really I think they are essential on college campuses. I was on exec for my sorority and was privy to all the assaults that were reported on Greek houses and some of them were gut wrenching. And there were a considerable amount that weren't reported of course.

That's sad. Really I think they are essential on college campuses. I was on exec for my sorority and was privy to all the assaults that were reported on Greek houses and some of them were gut wrenching. And there were a considerable amount that weren't reported of course.

it was also crazy to see the amount of drug issues, mental health issues, etc that are often so well-hidden... you think your small school doesn't have any of this stuff, but it's just as rampant as it is anywhere else. being an RA was definitely eye-opening.

it was also crazy to see the amount of drug issues, mental health issues, etc that are often so well-hidden... you think your small school doesn't have any of this stuff, but it's just as rampant as it is anywhere else. being an RA was definitely eye-opening.
My first year of undergrad was at a very small liberal arts college and I transfered to a state school later and the problems were the exact same. It's easy to think bad things happen else where, but unfortunately that's not the case

I CANNOT second the advise on asking the students at lunch for the scoop on your interviewers enough! The student in my interview was very stoic through my whole interview - even during some of the lighthesrted questions. But, I came into the interview knowing the person would be like this, so I didn't take it personally or let it throw me off. Just relax and be yourself. The best advice someone gave me is that the school is trying to win you over. They've put a lot of time and money into getting you to interview with them. Be confident and be yourself!

I CANNOT second the advise on asking the students at lunch for the scoop on your interviewers enough! The student in my interview was very stoic through my whole interview - even during some of the lighthesrted questions. But, I came into the interview knowing the person would be like this, so I didn't take it personally or let it throw me off. Just relax and be yourself. The best advice someone gave me is that the school is trying to win you over. They've put a lot of time and money into getting you to interview with them. Be confident and be yourself!

that is exactly what a member of my IS MD school's ADCOM told me... why would we want to scare you? we invited you for an interview because as of right now, we want you. we wouldn't waste our time with you if we KNEW you weren't a potential future student.

i'm a first time applicant, so do you get told of who your interviewer will be before the interview day? before the interview itself?

When you check in they give you a folder with a list of your interviewers and contact info for the students you'll meet.

Congrats, man! I'm really not too sure about what the Pandeya success rate looks like; I only know that he tends to be a bit more intense as an interviewer.
that is exactly what a member of my IS MD school's ADCOM told me... why would we want to scare you? we invited you for an interview because as of right now, we want you. we wouldn't waste our time with you if we KNEW you weren't a potential future student.

i'm a first time applicant, so do you get told of who your interviewer will be before the interview day? before the interview itself?

Yea, you'll be given a nice folder when you check in with a bunch of information, not the least important of which is a list of your interviewers.

You receive your list of interviewers at the start of the day with your packet of materials.

YES. He was easily the hardest interviewer I've had in 5 interviews. He asked me where I thought evil came from.
:laugh: I had Dr. Means as an interviewer as well. He was the only one to bring up the weaker points of my app, but all went well in the end.

Dr. Pandeya was my interviewer. Definitely hard to impress, but it all worked out in the end :) I thought he was a pretty nice guy at the end of it all. He is just hard to impress.