Drexel DPMS 2013-2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd like to say great going first of all to all those applying to the program, and any other postbac program out the for med school as well. It's very much well worth it.

That said, if any of you would like to know any specific information regarding the program, have a practice run through interview, get some advice, mentoring, or anything else that can come to your mind then let me know.

I'm a previous success through the program and at drexel med right now. For those who have their interviews coming up maybe I'll see you on your interview days, & congrats thus far!! :)

Hi Dracosrg, I have a question for you. What classes are offered during the summer enrichment program at Drexel (DPMS program)?

Do they combine mcat scores to determine if you meet the mcat requirement?
They take the most recent mcat scores, not your best scores and not your averages. So if you took the mcat w/ a 6-9-8 (23) & a 2nd time with a 10-6-6 then your mcat composite wouldn't be 10-9-8 (27)...just the 2nd most recent score of 22 vs the 27. Hope that clears it up.

Good luck to everyone in their upcoming interviews and those who already had your interviews. Some really great applicants from who I've talked to already & had mock interviews w/ so keep it up and stay positive and confident!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Dracosrg, I have a question for you. What classes are offered during the summer enrichment program at Drexel (DPMS program)?
The summer is structured to view the previous academic year recordings for biochemistry, physiology, and some pharmacology (basically you're watching reruns of last years lectures & going through the same notes the medical students had the previous year). Pharmacology will be some reruns and some given to you in person at NCB (your campus). You'll get quizzes and short tests during the summer to get the feel for your progress.

For biochem and physio (during the summer program) you will be seeing up to 2 exams worth of material (that's a lot of information in a short amount of time). Sole purpose is to get you standing on your feet when the academic year begins in August.

thank you soooo much dracosrg..wow 80% is a good number. I am applying to this program and the Georgetown Gems and they both have around the same number of students that matriculate into their medical school. Nice to know that this program is indeed doable.

Hey guys I had my interview and it was pretty good! The questions that I was asked was: "tell me about yourself", "tell me about your community service and other activities while in school", and tell me what went wrong with your grades etc. The day was really great! The college was wonderful. The people were even better! When we took the tour we stepped into a gross anatomy lab and we got to see a cadaver being dissected! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys I had my interview and it was pretty good! The questions that I was asked was: "tell me about yourself", "tell me about your community service and other activities while in school", and tell me what went wrong with your grades etc. The day was really great! The college was wonderful. The people were even better! When we took the tour we stepped into a gross anatomy lab and we got to see a cadaver being dissected! :)

Hi! Congrats on your interview going well :) .. I was wondering how many other students were at the interview? I haven't heard back yet and I'm just trying to get an idea of how many people they have interview so far. Thanks!

congrats ninsa. If you dont mind me asking..when was your file complete?

Dracosrg, how was the housing situation after the summer session? Did you live off campus or on?

Hi! Congrats on your interview going well :) .. I was wondering how many other students were at the interview? I haven't heard back yet and I'm just trying to get an idea of how many people they have interview so far. Thanks!
I interviewed on Wednesday and there were 8 total, including myself.

There were 4 of us in total that day. Don't worry because we were told that they still send out interview invites towards the end of May, so you may get your invite any day from now! :)

Wow I am so happy for you! I hope you get accepted, matter of fact I hope we all get accepted! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
they still send out interview invites towards the end of may?? wow...that is very encouraging. thanks for the heads up ninsa

Just found out about this program? Is it too late to apply? If its too late to apply are there other similar programs I can apply to? My stats are not great though (sGPA 3.08 cGPA 3.15 MCAT 7/8/9). Will appreciate any input.

deadline is april 26. it is not to late to apply. another program similar to this one is georgetown gems program,but I bleieve the deadline for that program has already passed

[QUOthere'sTE=FirstLadiC21;13918217]Dracosrg, how was the housing situation after the summer session? Did you live off campus or on?[/QUOTE]

So you all will get your Fridays off to study/ house search during the summer program. Your classes will be at the new college bldg (ncb) where Hahnemann hospital is at. This will be your classroom for the year (@ 15th & race).... not the medical school which is located in east falls (2900 queen lane). There is NO student housing provided after your summer session.... You have to find it.
That said you have choices.... 1) live near medical school and take shuttle to Hahnemann (free shuttle m-f, no shuttle service on weekends). 2) live in center city and walk, bike, commute or take a shuttle if offered by your complex (like park towne near art museum) 3) live somewhere in university city (same area you're at during summer) & catch Drexel shuttle to city.
Myself, I lived in city my year of the program because I wanted to be close to home when I studying late at the library at ncb... just 5 mins away. Program students shouldn't be at the med school since that space is for med students (you'll be told that time n time again) & that space is already limited.

PM me for more info on that.
Anything else... Keep asking & I'll do mock interviews and feedback for anyone that wants too.

Dracosrg, how was the housing situation after the summer session? Did you live off campus or on?

Hi, I wanted to update the answer you received. There IS Drexel Grad. Student Housing available for your DPMS year. Stiles Hall is a block away from Hahnemann, and they're simple two-bedroom suites. Some of my classmates live there this year. It's a good option if you're not ready to commit to renting or fully furnishing an apartment, or just want to be close to classes during DPMS.

Just got my interview invite. Anybody going to be there on April 30?

docqb...congrats on ur interview..i was like this name looks familiar you were on the gems forum lol...im really happy for u :)

Just got my interview invite. Anybody going to be there on April 30?

Docqb, Congrats on the interview! May I ask when your file was complete? I submitted mine late and they said I wouldn't hear till after the April 26th deadline about an interview.

I was complete in mid February. They told me the same thing about April 27, but I just got an email this morning.
Yeah I was applying to GEMS, but now all my attention is geared toward DPMS. Thank you for the support. Hopefully you guys will hear something soon.

Dracosrg..random question, but how is the social life over there?

There's plenty to do to keep you socially in the green :) Plenty of postbacc gatherings, outings, paid events from a budget you will get, formals. Post exam parties are always a great time to relax and toast for a module well done. Even in the summer get togethers around penn's campus or heading into the city were easy access. There's plenty of people to mingle with, plenty of happy hours, city specials...you'll have a good time :)

wow paid events from a budget..interesting..Sounds like fun...thanks for the heads up dracsorg..nice to know that we can work hard and still have a social life :)

I just got invited for an interview, I'll be going next week on the 25th..anyone else?

thanks doctor2018 and medicinelover3! And I finished my app in early january

Congrats on everyone's upcoming interviews. And a special congrats to those who already interviewed & meeting some of you on campus. It's a good view of where you'll be in a couple years :)

Just want to give people a heads of since I've been asked what is covered during the summer. If you want to know and just get a overview for what's coming your way check this out http://webcampus.drexelmed.edu/IFM/IFM2013/default.aspx
Look at the biochem and physio topic sections within the modules. You won't have access to it just yet but it's an idea of what you'll be covering.
Keep the PMs coming & the mock interviews & questions coming--you're doing great!

Hey guys hope all is going well with the interviews! I a current DPMS student and would be happy to answer any questions you guys may have! It is a rough long year filled with tons of studying and not a lot of social life. Takes a lot of sacrifice but it can be worth the year long run! Anyways, if you guys have any questions about the program, about life up here and housing, feel free to PM me or email me [email protected] and Ill be happy to answer any questions or inquiries. I came all the way from Miami and it has not been an easy ride, thankfully, I have gotten the chance to meet great people in the program and past DPMS students that were very helpful so we are def here for you guys! Best of luck!

Hey all. Just a heads up. http://webcampus.drexelmed.edu/osa/orientation/2016/2012-2013 First Year Survival Guide.pdf

This is a 1st year med student survival guide if you haven't already come across it. What can it tell you that's good for your interview--- some highlights that show what an open and welcoming atmosphere drexel has- in both the general student body and the proffessors and supporting personnel. You may find qualities or get a vibe in the comments that students have mentioned that you can identify with. Remember, you're interviewing to be a drexel med student!!...the dpms program is the key to that door so take every opportunity you can in ensuring your position and show your enthusiasm the day of.

This other link is a list of questions I used in my med school interviews. Drexel interview is more laid back for the dpms program but for those that prefer to be more prepared than not it's worth a good look at to go through and get comfortable answering. http://www.medaholic.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/premed_interviewquestions.pdf

For those that have interviews this week congrats & good luck- say hi when you're on campus.

thanks dracsorg you have been so helpful!!! Very interesting survival guide

thanks dracsorg you have been so helpful!!! Very interesting survival guide

You're welcome! I'm glad it's been helpful. If there's anything else that comes along that you can think of just let me know.

Interview invite yesterday...May 9th interview.

Congrats!!! That's a big deal. Get some good practice with checking out various interview questions. Do a mock interview if you can with someone who can provide a critique of your responses, have some clear cut points you want your interviewer to know about you and practice in shedding light on those qualities. Ive done plenty of interviews of applicants myself and med students too. Congrats again and good luck!! :)

Just a heads up since I'm being asked this time and again. I wanted to make it available to those not communicating w/ me directly.

Applicants are judged on a few core principles. Regardless of how the interviewer is interviewing you, the committee looks for this from the report (as well as the interviewer)
1. Professionalism
2. Communication
3. Understanding/exposure to the medical field.
4. Maturity & success in the academic rigors.
5. Will this person get along w/ peers and colleagues and be a contribution to DUCOMs legacy?

Within those 5 core principles there are a myriad of ways in assessing a student. For example- in communication it can be in how you respond to a question-- is it to the point, succint, and does it answer the question that was asked. Do you speak without 'ums,' 'uhs,' 'ya' 'er' etc. Are you able to clearly make your point, are you composed. Did you take time to answer a question even though you had no previous knowledge of the matter. For example-- tell me why primary care is being unfilled by u.s. graduates more so than other specialties?
In professionalism do you sit and address the interviewer in a respectful manner? Do you seem cocky or feeble, unsure or timid, do you have examples of where you acted in a professional manner? There are more and more ways to assess this just by observing you.

I had an interviewee for med school that kept asking me the same question-- regarding being able to meet an honors in classes. I answered it very specifically. The person asked me again so I said I wasn't sure I was understanding the question and asked they rephrase or expand on it. They didn't & seemed frustrated and said 'nevermind'. What this shows, although subtle, is they are unable to clearly express themselves and communicate, it indicates academics and the load of medical school may be too much for them at this time. The 'nevermind' remark hints at unprofessionalism and frustration. A more appropriate response would be to say although their answer wasn't clearly answered they can't find the words to properly get at what they want to ask but are thankful for the response I did give them. The person wasn't rude and seemed genuine and sincere. You may think this is unfair and to nit picky, but in an interview where you get to showcase yourself and you get one chance at it then you want to ensure it's the best foot forward at ALL times. First appearances are crucial and these interviewers have been doing this for a long time so they are quick at reading individuals and picking sincerity from rehearsed answers. I know this b/c I've been on the admission committee and have heard these discussions on an applicant vs. another. It's very competitive.

Good luck!! :)

Hi All! I received an interview invite yesterday. My application was complete mid April due to some miscommunication with my adviser. Just wanted to keep the hope alive for those who submitted a late application like me :)

Thanks Dracosrg for being so helpful!

I'd like to say great going first of all to all those applying to the program, and any other postbac program out the for med school as well. It's very much well worth it.

That said, if any of you would like to know any specific information regarding the program, have a practice run through interview, get some advice, mentoring, or anything else that can come to your mind then let me know.

I'm a previous success through the program and at drexel med right now. For those who have their interviews coming up maybe I'll see you on your interview days, & congrats thus far!! :)

Hi Dracosrg,

I received my confirmation email last week that my app was completed
I have a sGPA: cGPA: and MCAT is
I have a semester of cancer reserach, I have bunch of volunteering and community service activities. I have a year of working experience as a clinical chemistry technician. I'm an immigrant (have become a citizen couple years ago) and multilingual. I explained in my essay how I'm all socially, economically, and educationally disadvantaged. What do you think are my chances? Are mcat and gpa the most important factors or do they look at the app as a whole?

Last edited:
Hi All! I received an interview invite yesterday. My Application was complete mid April due to some miscommunication with my adviser. Just wanted to keep the hope alive for those who submitted a late application like me :)

Thanks Dracosrg for being so helpful!

That's fantastic and good news for anyone else at the tail end of the deadline. Hope your interview preparations are going solidly! Congrats on the invite :)

thanks still trying to keep the hope alive..does anybody know when they stop sending out interviews?

Hi Dracosrg,

I received my confirmation email last week that my app was completed
I have a sGPA: 2.7 cGPA: 3.2, and MCAT is 21 (5P, 8V, 8B).
I have a semester of cancer reserach, I have bunch of volunteering and community service activities. I have a year of working experience as a clinical chemistry technician. I'm an immigrant (have become a citizen couple years ago) and multilingual. I explained in my essay how I'm all socially, economically, and educationally disadvantaged. What do you think are my chances? Are mcat and gpa the most important factors or do they look at the app as a whole?

Hey, Medimp. I'm glad your app was complete before the deadline. That's a start.
So answering 'what my chances' are is somewhat tricky. It depends on the applicant pool for the dpms program, your personal statement and how you came across on that, and of course you academic/mcat stats. You certainly fall into the window of previous applicants who have interviewed (at the end of the dpms year, or in some cases during it they- the dpms program- break down the stats of people that applied to the program, where they matriculated, success from dpms program, etc.) but because the application pool is always dynamic it would be misleading to tell you what your chances are directly. All I can say is from your #s you fit into the window of previous applicants that made the program...your essay and extracurricular have additional weight and impact with the committee.

They do want to see a potential for academic success in the program so they tend to weigh on gpa & mcat initially but they will look at the application as a whole. Higher #s is easier and lower #s are more challenging, but not w/out the ability to be accepted.

You'll have to wait your time- keep us posted and I do hope your news is positive in the future. Don't give up if this is what you would like to do. It's a long and demanding road that doesn't stop when you're accepted...every year gets more and more challenging w/ more and more responsibilities and demand of your attention.

All the best and ask anything else. If I can help or advise I will.

Is this program tuition free or would you have to take out loans or go out of pocket?

Is this program tuition free or would you have to take out loans or go out of pocket?

Its tuition based. Most take out loans to do the program unless family is able to pay for it. There are minimal scholarships awarded.

did you retake the med school classes that u took during dpms or did u test out from them? I feel like it'd be better to test out if u did well on them because then u'd be focusing on fewer classes and do well on those