Drexel DPMS 2015-1016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So looks like I'll be 1 science letter short. The professor that agreed to do it never followed through and has been missing in action....not answering calls or responding to emails. I'm upset. He wrote one of my AMCAS letters this cycle.....but the College of Medicine at Drexel won't forward my letters to DPMS. I'm stuck. I finished undergrad many moons ago, and don't have any other science professors I can reach out to

Members don't see this ad.

So looks like I'll be 1 science letter short. The professor that agreed to do it never followed through and has been missing in action....not answering calls or responding to emails. I'm upset. He wrote one of my AMCAS letters this cycle.....but the College of Medicine at Drexel won't forward my letters to DPMS. I'm stuck. I finished undergrad many moons ago, and don't have any other science professors I can reach out to

OMG, I am in the EXACT same position it is unbelievable!!!!

OMG, I am in the EXACT same position it is unbelievable!!!!
Did you have a TA maybe under these circumstances they can write it? And you didn't have to send it to your undergrad school when you did AMCAS and they sent it to the schools you applied to ? That's how my school was

Members don't see this ad :)
No, it was a professor, who wrote of one my AMCAS letters as well.
I went to a small school, I was fortunate enough (unfortunately for me now) to not use TAs at the time.

how did you get the letter to AMCAS did you use interfolio or did you mail it in?, either way if you have a copy, you can send it to interfolio and they will send it as an unofficial letter of rec (i.e. rights have not been waived to view and you already saw it). If that doesn't work, I would call every science prof you ever known and explain the situation, people have hearts and I'm sure one of them is willing to write you one expeditiously, it may not be awesome, but at least you'll get one in...I would recommend always using interfolio, that way once they write it you have it forever, and don't have to track these profs down.. good luck, I really do hope it works out

Reactions: 4 users
how did you get the letter to AMCAS did you use interfolio or did you mail it in?, either way if you have a copy, you can send it to interfolio and they will send it as an unofficial letter of rec (i.e. rights have not been waived to view and you already saw it). If that doesn't work, I would call every science prof you ever known and explain the situation, people have hearts and I'm sure one of them is willing to write you one expeditiously, it may not be awesome, but at least you'll get one in...I would recommend always using interfolio, that way once they write it you have it forever, and don't have to track these profs down.. good luck, I really do hope it works out
I've learned my lesson. I'll definitely be using interfolio in the future. I have to really work my phone tomorrow and hope for the best.

Can track 1 students matriculate after one year? And if so, when do they have to take the MCAT?
Yes they can as long as they get the required MCAT. Typically they took the MCAT in April but because of the change in MCAT this year they took it in January.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Guys,

I recently received an email of completion from Drexel and I am anxiously awaiting to see if I will be invited for an II.
However, I recently received acceptance into Boston University's MAMS program. I am now at a dilemma, because I think I have a good chance to gain acceptance into Drexel, but BU is a great school. I would love some advice from you guys regarding the pros and cons of each school/program.

SN: I will still complete the admission process to Drexel DPMS if given the opportunity, however I am a planner and would just like to start thinking about this predicament, in case it occurs, now. Thanks in advance. :)

Hey Guys,

I recently received an email of completion from Drexel and I am anxiously awaiting to see if I will be invited for an II.
However, I recently received acceptance into Boston University's MAMS program. I am now at a dilemma, because I think I have a good chance to gain acceptance into Drexel, but BU is a great school. I would love some advice from you guys regarding the pros and cons of each school/program.

SN: I will still complete the admission process to Drexel DPMS if given the opportunity, however I am a planner and would just like to start thinking about this predicament, in case it occurs, now. Thanks in advance. :)
just a word from someone who has completed neither of the programs, but has done a little bit of research on both....The biggest pro to DPMS is hands down the guaranteed acceptance, which can be a con if you are not interest in attending drexel.. but a lot of these Masters programs and SMPs talk a big game to get your money, but not all of them are willing to give up actual spots in their med class like Drexel does, that all being said MAMS is a very reputable program and has an excellent track record, but at then end of the day you will still have to apply to medical school after the fact, and we all know first hand how unpredictable that can be... good luck either way!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey Guys,

I am in a similar situation. I applied to DPMS and got accepted into MBS program in NJ. Now I have to agree with @Maytheoddsbeinyourfavor that you should focus on the goal to get into MedSchool (assuming that is your goal).

In my case, NJ is plan B if I dont get into drexel because in drexel I dont have to apply to med school again. Basically, as long as you keep your GPA up you're good. It saves money, time (no gap year) and stress. THe MBS I got into allows me to apply early and helps you get an interview, but there's no guarantee.

If you want to do some research or want a gap year maybe MAMS is more for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I got the invite but when I go back to the screen to schedule the interview there is no place to do that. Anyone else have trouble with this? Looks like I'll be calling at 9 when they open.
how long after completion did this change in the portal for you?

Did you guys do your BCPM Calculations as PDF and email it or with the online form? The online form is a little slow to load and wonky. Want to take the safest path..since its days before the app is due. :S.. hopefully I can still get a complete email in time.

just a word from someone who has completed neither of the programs, but has done a little bit of research on both....The biggest pro to DPMS is hands down the guaranteed acceptance, which can be a con if you are not interest in attending drexel.. but a lot of these Masters programs and SMPs talk a big game to get your money, but not all of them are willing to give up actual spots in their med class like Drexel does, that all being said MAMS is a very reputable program and has an excellent track record, but at then end of the day you will still have to apply to medical school after the fact, and we all know first hand how unpredictable that can be... good luck either way!
What would your (or anyones) opinion be of Dpms vs Georgetown GEMS?

GEMS-more respected med school, those facilitated review sessions I heard are great. But the lack of a guaranteed admission is kinda scary. I believe they also take med school courses too.
DPMS- Guaranteed spot, take some med school courses (that you don't need to retake in M1), but large med school class and not as highly respected as Georgetown SOM.

I would always take the guarantee over risking it

Reactions: 2 users
GEMS-more respected med school, those facilitated review sessions I heard are great. But the lack of a guaranteed admission is kinda scary. I believe they also take med school courses too.
DPMS- Guaranteed spot, take some med school courses (that you don't need to retake in M1), but large med school class and not as highly respected as Georgetown SOM.

I would always take the guarantee over risking it
Thanks for your reply!

I don't know about Georgetown but the admission to medical school at Drexel is absolutely guaranteed provided you make the contract stipulations and you are not a complete and utter jerk to your classmates and advisors. And you aren't competing with anybody but yourself. They decide the class for next year taking into account that 38(my year) spots are already taken before interviews start
I have heard that Georgetown is a really good program and that the majority of their students get in but since it's not guarantee they take who seems the best fit so could lead to a more competitive group.
For a prestigious school Georgetown beats Drexel y a good bit and leads to more opportunities
I think it depends on your situation

Reactions: 1 users
And honestly if the only problem is MCAT (above a 3.2 gpa for HBCUs/DO schools) than neither is truly worth just take time and really study for the MCAT because both are really expensive

How does the process of acquiring loans work (if you're accepted)? Given the admissions timeline it seems like it would be last minute. Can you only use Drexel loans for this program? Or should we also fill out the FAFSA etc. ahead of time? Sorry if these questions have been answered already.

Fill out FASFA ahead of time. The summer program is paid for(besides food) so financial aid wouldn't be coming til you actually start classes anyway(aka not a good time to be making big, unnecessary (like the new surface 3 #hugetechie)) whatever they decide to do. The goal is that federal loans should cover it since it's being restructured to a one year masters degree.

Fill out FASFA ahead of time. The summer program is paid for(besides food) so financial aid wouldn't be coming til you actually start classes anyway(aka not a good time to be making big, unnecessary (like the new surface 3 #hugetechie)) whatever they decide to do. The goal is that federal loans should cover it since it's being restructured to a one year masters degree.
Thank you for being so helpful~ ^.^

*LONG RESPONSE. SORRY IN ADVANCE*

Med School Vs. Med School Boston University is the better choice, however the DPMS program guarantees you a spot where as the MAMS program only guarantees an interview. There literally is a thread for the DPMS Vs. BU MAMS program (as I am sure there is for everything else regarding medicaine) so I have read both the pros and cons of each program. My end goal is, 100% without a doubt, to gain acceptance into medical school and I am pretty adamant on not having to retake the MCAT. I enjoy doing research but it is not something that will make or break my decision.

I am more concern with the design of the programs. I am assuming that since the DPMS program has video lecture, we cannot ask questions right there in class, which is a bit nerve wrecking for me. There are a couple other less important reasons that has me leaning towards BU over DPMS. However the one reason why I love the DPMS program is because it has a guarantee acceptance!! You cannot over look that.

I read on another thread that the GPA requirement for the DPMS program to matriculate into their medical school is increasing from a 3.0 to a 3.5. Does anyone know if this is true? I am not doubting my abilities to achieve this requirement but in the event that I do not obtain this GPA by the end of the program, I would have a better chance gaining acceptance to another medical school by completing the BU program rather than the Drexel one. I know I am being a tad bit negative but I need to dissect the situation from all angles. lol

Thank you for any advice in advance!

Med School Vs. Med School Boston University is the better choice, however the DPMS program guarantees you a spot where as the MAMS program only guarantees an interview. There literally is a thread for the DPMS Vs. BU MAMS program (as I am sure there is for everything else regarding medicaine) so I have read both the pros and cons of each program. My end goal is, 100% without a doubt, to gain acceptance into medical school and I am pretty adamant on not having to retake the MCAT. I enjoy doing research but it is not something that will make or break my decision.

I am more concern with the design of the programs. I am assuming that since the DPMS program has video lecture, we cannot ask questions right there in class, which is a bit nerve wrecking for me. There are a couple other less important reasons that has me leaning towards BU over DPMS. However the one reason why I love the DPMS program is because it has a guarantee acceptance!! You cannot over look that.

I read on another thread that the GPA requirement for the DPMS program to matriculate into their medical school is increasing from a 3.0 to a 3.5. Does anyone know if this is true? I am not doubting my abilities to achieve this requirement but in the event that I do not obtain this GPA by the end of the program, I would have a better chance gaining acceptance to another medical school by completing the BU program rather than the Drexel one. I know I am being a tad bit negative but I need to dissect the situation from all angles. lol

the requirement has changed to a 3.2 not a 3.5. that is per the interview email..and with all due respect if Drexel told me I had to take all my classes in a onesie , and learn to speak latin for a guaranteed acceptance to medical school, I would ask for an XL and buy a copy of rosetta stone.lol..so a 3.2 is not bad considering the average gpa for a medical school acceptee is..The truth of the matter is that it is getting harder and harder to get into medical school these days and that means especially hard for folks who may have slipped up academically for different circumstances...Drexel is providing a chance of a lifetime in my opinion, this is a chance to take control of your future...sorry to sound preachy/political.lol..that all being said, I think you will be fine either way if you take full advantage of whatever opportunity you get..MAMs can take you far for sure, I think the question is of reassurance vs unpredictability...are you will to sacrifice some of the pros for the reassurance? if the answer is no, then you should go with your gut

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

Ok so this may be lengthy but I wanted to chime in even tho i should be studying haha.

So first just to help correct your more concerning issue with the design of the program. Just about every med school I know has most if not all lectures recorded. With these video lectures available online, which is a plus because you can then go back and rewatch the lectures as you wish. As far as DPMS specifically yes the lectures are video streamed LIVE to the Center City/NCB campus from the Med school/Queen Lane campus. If your concern is that you will not be able to ask a question while in class then your concern is misplaced. There is in fact a microphone in the classroom that you may use to ask questions LIVE to the professor at the med school during the lecture and they can directly answer your question then and there. Not only that most professors that I have encountered have available office hours some on both campus and usually reply to emails pretty quickly. So rest assured your questions will be answered, no matter if they come up during or after lecture.

As far as deciding between programs that ultimately would be your choice, but the reality is if you are lucky enough to get chosen for the DPMS program, then your seat in the matriculating class is there waiting for your rear end to fill it. Not to mention when everyone else in the various programs are stressing filling out the AMCAS, doing secondaries, praying for interviews, and then waiting around for acceptances if they get them, while still striving to do better then everyone else in their classes. You will be seating back relaxed knowing you have your spot at a US MD program, which ultimately is most important. Whether your diploma is from BU or DU you still get the same medical degree. If your concern is oh well BU is a better med school, then I only say that med school is what you make of it. If you work hard and take advantage of the opportunities presented to you then it won't really matter (too much) what med school you go do, in the end most important above all will be your USMLE Step 1 and that trumps all. Now that's way beyond what anyone on here should be worrying about, but I know that DPMS grads have matched to great residencies at great institutions. As an example I know old DPMSers matching this year in anesthesiology and at institutions such as Cornell.

So my advice to everyone is if you get accepted into a program that will GUARANTEE you a spot at a legit US MD school, then you accept it. Then work your tail off during the program to make sure your getting your white coat the following year, cause I promise you there is nothing better then knowing you made it! Good luck everyone and ignore any poor grammar I've been up since 7am.

Reactions: 7 users
Question about filling the pre-application, how do we enter repeated classes? Do we enter all of them (classes and repeats) or just the highest grade? Do they do grade replacement?

Question about filling the pre-application, how do we enter repeated classes? Do we enter all of them (classes and repeats) or just the highest grade? Do they do grade replacement?
You enter all classes and repeats and just like AMCAS, there is no grade replacement.

If I submit my application on Monday is there a chance I might not be complete by Friday (Aug 24)? Based on my schools and Interfolio all my transcripts and LORs should be at Drexel. I just want to get my app looked over by some friends before I send it out the door. I think at this point its better to send out something really polished.

Confirmed that the letters/transcripts are at the school If they are turning it in by Monday shouldn't be a problem. If they aren't fix that now.
And for the poster who talks about not having the retake the MCAT if you have the score to be competitive for that program you won't Retake the MCAT score at DPMS (I have a 31 MCAT coming in to DPMS my gpa was low and I'm really good track to make it.)
You can easily ask questions to the professors most will answer questions even on their way home or to central city from the shuttle.
If you're MCAT score is below that of track twos(23-24) then honestly you can't really get around taking it anyway since it's likely that it won't be high enough for MAMS to take you anyway(23 is about nine below the average MCAT)
Also be sure to look at the costs of attending and living in the program. Neither program won't give you time to work so that could be a factor two.
Honestly if you don't like Drexel and want options for all medical schools it could be A LOT CHEAPER to just take upper level undergrad classes, pay for the all inclusive MCAT prep in which they put you up in a place and you study non stop for MCAT. I feel in my personal opinion that depending on the program the "guarantee interview" without the promise of a certain percentage of the class having seats saved(like in words that there are for example 60 saved exclusively for people who had the guarantee interview) it's more of a "courtesy interview "
Long story short
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

Reactions: 2 users
Hi,

For those interviewing early btw April 28th and May 5th, I am willing to host you at my place for $30. I have a nice couch you can sleep on with pillows and blankets. I live 15min (walk) to DUCOM. If you don't walk, you can ride the train (outside my apt) for less than 1 min to DUCOM. Please message me if you are interested in saving money!!!

the requirement has changed to a 3.2 not a 3.5. that is per the interview email..and with all due respect if Drexel told me I had to take all my classes in a onesie , and learn to speak latin for a guaranteed acceptance to medical school, I would ask for an XL and buy a copy of rosetta stone.lol..so a 3.2 is not bad considering the average gpa for a medical school acceptee is..The truth of the matter is that it is getting harder and harder to get into medical school these days and that means especially hard for folks who may have slipped up academically for different circumstances...Drexel is providing a chance of a lifetime in my opinion, this is a chance to take control of your future...sorry to sound preachy/political.lol..that all being said, I think you will be fine either way if you take full advantage of whatever opportunity you get..MAMs can take you far for sure, I think the question is of reassurance vs unpredictability...are you will to sacrifice some of the pros for the reassurance? if the answer is no, then you should go with your gut
Wow! Couldn't have said it better. Amen, and preach on! Lol.

Reactions: 3 users
Maybe this is a silly question, but I think Drexel has just confused me. We filled out our DPMS apps for "2014-2015" according to their portal, but we would apply for FAFSA for 2015-2016, correct?

Hey guys- have any of you reserved a room yet for accommodations? I've tried two of the B&Bs they listed but no one has emailed me back yet. Thinking of calling the number of moving arts next since it's listed. Let me know if you have any luck cuz my interview is next Tuesday and I still don't have a place to stay lol. Would rather not sleep on a couch :( sorry

Hey guys- have any of you reserved a room yet for accommodations? I've tried two of the B&Bs they listed but no one has emailed me back yet. Thinking of calling the number of moving arts next since it's listed. Let me know if you have any luck cuz my interview is next Tuesday and I still don't have a place to stay lol. Would rather not sleep on a couch :( sorry
Im staying at moving arts at the end of the month (and she told me another interviewee is staying the same night). You should give her a call it was easy to get in touch with her and set everything up!

Reactions: 1 users
staying at moving arts bed and respite, pam the owner is super nice and inviting, she's been doing this for 10 years and her son graduated from DUCOM, she picks you up from the airport and takes you to the interview, and since my flight is coming in early afternoon she even offered to give me a free tour of the city. I haven't been there yet, but on service alone i would recommend moving arts. I think I remember her saying that she may be booked, but it definitely wouldn't hurt to call to ask, she may be able to even point you in the right direction for other accomodations. Interviewing 4/22

staying at moving arts bed and respite, pam the owner is super nice and inviting, she's been doing this for 10 years and her son graduated from DUCOM, she picks you up from the airport and takes you to the interview, and since my flight is coming in early afternoon she even offered to give me a free tour of the city. I haven't been there yet, but on service alone i would recommend moving arts. I think I remember her saying that she may be booked, but it definitely wouldn't hurt to call to ask, she may be able to even point you in the right direction for other accomodations. Interviewing 4/22
Thank you! She was booked but I got the last possible room from her haha she's very sweet and super informative. I come in that afternoon too but I think she's gonna pick us up separately. Maybe we can have bfast before the interview at the bakery across the street or something.

Hi everyone,
I've been looking at SPM and Master's programs recently and I noticed that DPSM has assured admissions (which is amazing :)). But does this mean that if you're accepted and enter DPSM, then are you obligated to enter DUCOM?
Now I'm not saying I don't want to attend DUCOM (I mean really, who on here *doesn't* want to get into med school?), but I do want the flexibility of at least applying to a school in my own state or a school near my S.O.
Can any current DPSM folks weigh in?

Thank you! She was booked but I got the last possible room from her haha she's very sweet and super informative. I come in that afternoon too but I think she's gonna pick us up separately. Maybe we can have bfast before the interview at the bakery across the street or something.
nice! thats awesome and most definitely. are you interviewing tuesday or wednesday? because I'm on wednesday, and I saw you say you chose 4/21...either way I wish you a lot of luck, and I'm sure i'll still run into you, if not next week, then god willing in June.

Hi everyone,
I've been looking at SPM and Master's programs recently and I noticed that DPSM has assured admissions (which is amazing :)). But does this mean that if you're accepted and enter DPSM, then are you obligated to enter DUCOM?
Now I'm not saying I don't want to attend DUCOM (I mean really, who on here *doesn't* want to get into med school?), but I do want the flexibility of at least applying to a school in my own state or a school near my S.O.
Only a prospective student but yes if you are in dpms you only can apply to Drexel and no where else. If you do the two year program after not getting into Drexel for some reason then you can apply anywhere.

nice! thats awesome and most definitely. are you interviewing tuesday or wednesday? because I'm on wednesday, and I saw you say you chose 4/21...either way I wish you a lot of luck, and I'm sure i'll still run into you, if not next week, then god willing in June.
My interview is on 4/22 as well. Thank you and I hope we are future classmates too! Haha

Hi everyone,
You're obligated at that point to attend DUCOM.

Yeah part of the guarantee acceptance is going to Drexel. If your S.O is in California Drexel does do some rotations in Sacramento for 3rd and fourth year. But yes When you fill out amcas for drexel they lock you in. You could technically apply to DO schools at the same time(cuz it's a different application process like Texas schools) but if you get caught it breaks contract.

If flexibility is a super issue then DPMS may not but for you lysoz392 dpms may not be right du to that reason alone

My application was marked complete on February 25th. Haven't heard anything. I guess I'm out already :(