Help me choose... Brown Alpert vs Miami Miller

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school should I attend?

• Total voters

MD.Hopeful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm in the incredibly fortunate position to have received more than one acceptance to medical school. I've narrowed it down to two, but I'm having trouble deciding between them: Brown Alpert, or Miami Miller.

I'm even more fortunate in that I don't have to worry about the financial aspect of my medical education. Regardless, I received a 30k/year merit scholarship from Miller and can't just shrug it off... That'd be 120k saved over 4 years!

Miami:
Miller is in Miami! I've lived in harsh-winter areas for my whole life, and I don't know if I'm ready to go for another 4 years of it... Plus, this school supposedly has amazing opportunities for 3rd and 4th year clerkships, and is looked upon favourably by residencies. However, I heard the 1st and 2nd year science curriculum isn't great, and my interview day wasn't as nice as Brown's... Maybe it was a fluke though?

Brown:
Brown has the prestige on its side, but it's in Providence, which I feel could be a potential drawback since I'm not really used to being in a smaller city... It has a good match list, and I loved it during interview day, but I just can't shake the feeling I might regret it when winter comes and I remember I could be in sunny Miami.

Am I overthinking this? I see plenty of SDNers that just say to choose the cheaper option, that it doesn't matter which medical school you attend. Is that true? I'd love some insight!!

Members don't see this ad.

Try asking Brown to cough up some more dough. Otherwise, I'd go Miller, since you sound like you'd be happier there geographically, and it's significantly cheaper.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you love Miami, then go to Miami. Not to mention it offered you great scholarship. It doesn't sound like you are that happy with Brown from your post.

FWIW, I live in providence currently, came here with my gf from California. I personally cannot wait to move elsewhere at the end of this year lol

This is seriously a no brainer. Choose Miami and don't look back. The medical school is top notch and the teaching hospital is really really great. Based on patient diversity and volume, you will most likely get a superior clinical experience. I wouldn't be surprised if a few basic science and clinical research labs have more money and bigger names working at Miami over Brown. The two medical schools are very comparable, but Miami has a slight edge in my opinion. More interesting pathology and more resources in a big city can be very useful. Year 1&2 will suck where ever you are, so even if Brown is marginally better, its not that big of a deal.

Brown is nice and all, has its little New England charm to it and that Ivy feel (which mostly comes from their undergrad, cause their med school is more mid-tier than "Ivy" level) but Miami is just too good to pass up. Oh wait, you also got a scholarship there too?!?!?! Take your offer and RUN. Never look back. Miller all the way.

Thanks for the feedback! Honestly if it's seems like I'm gunning for Miller, it's mainly because of location. Overall I did get a better feel from Brown at the interview, and they do seem to have a much better match list! But is it 120k better? Aghhh I just don't know. I don't want to go somewhere and realize I made the decision based on the wrong criteria (i.e location, or match list)

Brown has a nice match list, sure, but Miller has a really great match list as well. Their class is probably slightly diluted with OK matches, but the raw amount of fantastic programs on their list is not far from Brown's. Yale, Hopkins, Mass Gen, BWH, BID, Cornell, Columbia, Mount Sinai (the one in NY not Florida) Case, Pitt, Childrens hospitals in Philly, Boston, Einstein, UTSW.... dude their list is awesome. They have top places across every single specialty. As someone from NY who prefers the New England area, let me put it this way, if costs were equal, I would still choose Miller. Oh, Miller is 120k cheaper (plus interest!!!!)? Are you kidding me!? Pack your bags, you're moving to Florida.

Thanks for the feedback! Honestly if it's seems like I'm gunning for Miller, it's mainly because of location. Overall I did get a better feel from Brown at the interview, and they do seem to have a much better match list! But is it 120k better? Aghhh I just don't know. I don't want to go somewhere and realize I made the decision based on the wrong criteria (i.e location, or match list)

Match list should matters very little since there are too many factors involved. You will have to ask the question of why your interview at Miller wasn't as good as Brown. Did the students seem unhappy? Was the school environment malignant? Are the faculty unsupportive? etc. Location is an important factor, and so as financial aid. But if somehow Miller turns out to be a very unhappy school to be in, then the decision will be more difficult.

Match list should matters very little since there are too many factors involved. You will have to ask the question of why your interview at Miller wasn't as good as Brown. Did the students seem unhappy? Was the school environment malignant? Are the faculty unsupportive? etc. Location is an important factor, and so as financial aid. But if somehow Miller turns out to be a very unhappy school to be in, then the decision will be more difficult.

My thoughts exactly! But it's hard to find out if any of those assumptions are true or if my interview day experience was just a fluke.

I might have to, but that'd be inconvenient seeing as how I don't live anywhere close... And Second Look is during my final exam season. But thank you for the insight!

Are you MD admissions at both, or are you MD/MPH at both, or one or the other at each? It may influence the advice you get based on what program you're o=in!

Congrats on 120k from Miami! You must be quite the applicant! If its not too personal what was your GPA/MCAT or LizzyM to receive so much Merit money?

Also, congratulations, you literally can't go wrong between those two schools!!!

MD at both!

Thank you! :) Not too sure how the new MCAT translates on the LizzyM, but I think I'm around ~77? I definitely wasn't expecting a any financial aid so it was a great surprise!

Reactions: 1 user
I might have to, but that'd be inconvenient seeing as how I don't live anywhere close... And Second Look is during my final exam season. But thank you for the insight!

MD at both!

Thank you! :) Not too sure how the new MCAT translates on the LizzyM, but I think I'm around ~77? I definitely wasn't expecting a any financial aid so it was a great surprise!
Wow! Congratulations. Honestly I can see exactly why this is such a hard decision. You've clearly earned what you have and I hope you make the choice that makes you happiest!