Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well that interview was fun! Nice meeting several of you.

Just a heads up to those interviewing over the next month. You are going to see the words "MMI" in the itinerary. That is the individual interview. They ask you two questions and you have 8 minutes to answer them.

Don't freak out like we did haha:p
Do they no longer do the group interview, and this is what is replacing it?

Members don't see this ad.

Just a heads up to those interviewing over the next month. You are going to see the words "MMI" in the itinerary. That is the individual interview. They ask you two questions and you have 8 minutes to answer them.

Yeah. I was totally freak out for a minute until I kniw it was individual interview

Members don't see this ad :)
Really like the school after the tour though.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello all! Congrats to those who have received IIs! So I am coming into this a bit late in the game. Due to some transcript processing troubles, my AACOMAS application was verified on 7/21. Is LECOM still sending out secondaries or have I totally missed out on any chance of going here? Thanks in advance! :help:

UPDATE: Secondary received and submitted today!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It was good to meet you all today at the interview, you all seem like very solid individuals, best of luck to you all!

Idk, if you can answer this, but were you asked about the current issues in medicine?

They asked a little something about preventative medicine but overall there was no way to prepare for this thing. It was very different.

Just be polite, smile and play well with your group during the interview and you'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
They asked a little something about preventative medicine but overall there was no way to prepare for this thing. It was very different.

Just be polite, smile and play well with your group during the interview and you'll be fine.
Okay thanks. Just making sure.

I don't think I do exceptional or excellent. I think I do fair and got what I want to say out there.

But yes, no way to prepare for this thing. Just have fun and hope for the best.

@Soccerstar101 it was indeed fun haha

@getfat keep in touch.

Just for future interviews and possible secondaries..its preventive not preventative medicine

Also interviewed here today...very laid back. Relax future interviewees. Bee urself.

Oh guys..also...

Keep in mind this "MMI" thing he's talking about is completely optional. So u have to sign a form saying u want to do it. However most people did..keep that in mind. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
http://grammarist.com/spelling/preventative-preventive/

Actually, though preventive is a more traditional term, they are interchangeable. Especially regionally.

Put any medical term into any grammar or spelling checking system and it'll tell you its wrong. Preventive medicine is the term for the fellowship programs and overall field of medicine. I don't think its a big deal to say preventative, just know a stickler may call u out on it!

Oh guys..also...

Keep in mind this "MMI" thing he's talking about is completely optional. So u have to sign a form saying u want to do it. However most people did..keep that in mind. Good luck!

While it was optional , you don't really get an opportunity to talk about yourself in the group interviews.

It's better to the the "MMI" so you can give yourself an better opportunity to shine.

Idk if I met you or not but hope everything went well on your interview

Can somebody help me understand one thing? I submitted my secondary application to both Erie and Braedenton on June 28th.

My 32 MCAT is above their averages and my cGPA of 3.54 is in line with what they want.

I think I at worst wrote a decent personal statement in my primary application and there is no secondary essay that would make my application more or less appealing.

In spite of all that, all sorts of people who applied after i did have received interview invites to one or both campuses and my portal still says my application is under review. I thought the whole point of rolling admissions is to favor early applicants, but they've already reviewed apps received after my own.

I'm going insane here waiting for a response and I check my portal countless times a day. What could possibly be holding up my application? Am I rejected and they're just taking their sweet time getting back to me? I literally cannot think of a reason why this is happening and it's making me paranoid about my applications to other schools. Is there something about my app that I don't know? Some sort of red flag? Is it because i have a lot of repeated courses? I thought grade forgiveness was cool

Can somebody help me understand one thing? I submitted my secondary application to both Erie and Braedenton on June 28th.

My 32 MCAT is above their averages and my cGPA of 3.54 is in line with what they want.

I think I at worst wrote a decent personal statement in my primary application and there is no secondary essay that would make my application more or less appealing.

In spite of all that, all sorts of people who applied after i did have received interview invites to one or both campuses and my portal still says my application is under review. I thought the whole point of rolling admissions is to favor early applicants, but they've already reviewed apps received after my own.

I'm going insane here waiting for a response and I check my portal countless times a day. What could possibly be holding up my application? Am I rejected and they're just taking their sweet time getting back to me? I literally cannot think of a reason why this is happening and it's making me paranoid about my applications to other schools. Is there something about my app that I don't know? Some sort of red flag? Is it because i have a lot of repeated courses? I thought grade forgiveness was cool
Hey I'm someone who doesn't have your stats , lower to be honest, but I've been doing the same all the time. It's only July I just got an II from BCOM. Be patient. It's not just about GPA and MCAT so keep that in mind. Good luck hopefully we both get an invite!

Hey I'm someone who doesn't have your stats , lower to be honest, but I've been doing the same all the time. It's only July I just got an II from BCOM. Be patient. It's not just about GPA and MCAT so keep that in mind. Good luck hopefully we both get an invite!
Me too man, I know I probably come off as arrogant or a jerk, but I'm just anxious. my biggest fear is that after all the hard work I put in and extra courses i took to make my application appealing to these medical schools that I just get glossed over and waste my money but even more importantly a year of my life only to end up no where at the end of the cycle. I don't really have a back up plan, this is all i want to do

Me too man, I know I probably come off as arrogant or a jerk, but I'm just anxious. my biggest fear is that after all the hard work I put in and extra courses i took to make my application appealing to these medical schools that I just get glossed over and waste my money but even more importantly a year of my life only to end up no where at the end of the cycle. I don't really have a back up plan, this is all i want to do
Buddy you sound exactly like me! You will get in somewhere you have an amazing MCAT how many schools did you apply to?

Buddy you sound exactly like me! You will get in somewhere you have an amazing MCAT how many schools did you apply to?
17, but the issue I'm having is that my 32 MCAT is 3 years old and so it is valid at some schools such as LECOM, but other schools say that by the time I matriculate it will be 4 years old and therefore invalid. This splits my school list about half way and so im forrced to study for the new MCAT to complete my application at these other schools. It sucks because the new mcat is harder and I only gave myself 8 weeks to prepare because I found about this in mid june and I'm scheduled to take it on Aug 20th. I wont get scores till sept 20th and so i didnt want to wait any longer than that for fear that completing my application late would hurt my chances.

This whole thing has been very stressful. i'm supposed to be studying right now haha

17, but the issue I'm having is that my 32 MCAT is 3 years old and so it is valid at some schools such as LECOM, but other schools say that by the time I matriculate it will be 4 years old and therefore invalid. This splits my school list about half way and so im forrced to study for the new MCAT to complete my application at these other schools. It sucks because the new mcat is harder and I only gave myself 8 weeks to prepare because I found about this in mid june and I'm scheduled to take it on Aug 20th. I wont get scores till sept 20th and so i didnt want to wait any longer than that for fear that completing my application late would hurt my chances.

This whole thing has been very stressful. i'm supposed to be studying right now haha
Haha I did horrible on the old one....19 retook the new one and did okay...but it is all basically biochem. Seriously. Know your biochem. I never took it before so I had to learn it myself. This is horrible anxiety inducing and stressful I know this is my second year applying to schools

Haha I did horrible on the old one....19 retook the new one and did okay...but it is all basically biochem. Seriously. Know your biochem. I never took it before so I had to learn it myself. This is horrible anxiety inducing and stressful I know this is my second year applying to schools

Can you elaborate more on that? How is it mostly all biochem? What advice do you have for me?

Can you elaborate more on that? How is it mostly all biochem? What advice do you have for me?
Most of the questions on PS and Bio were geared towards bio chemistry. Know all the amino acids , structures, pH, 3 and 1 letter abbreviations. Biological pathways, literally everything. I used Next Step practice test and they were very accurate. The CARS section completely side swiped me. It was so much longer than any practice that is out. So I messed up on that cause I couldn't keep up. Psych is all vocabulary so get some note cards and start now.

Most of the questions on PS and Bio were geared towards bio chemistry. Know all the amino acids , structures, pH, 3 and 1 letter abbreviations. Biological pathways, literally everything. I used Next Step practice test and they were very accurate. The CARS section completely side swiped me. It was so much longer than any practice that is out. So I messed up on that cause I couldn't keep up. Psych is all vocabulary so get some note cards and start now.
Thanks man, i really appreciate it. I'm self studying and feel a little behind, not just that but I don't feel like I know things about the exam itself quite like other people. Your advice is much appreciated

Thanks man, i really appreciate it. I'm self studying and feel a little behind, not just that but I don't feel like I know things about the exam itself quite like other people. Your advice is much appreciated
I felt like that the entire way. It always seemed like people knew more. Best advice I can give you is buy the 6 practice test from Next Step take 1 exam per week and go over every question, take notes and review it almost everyday

If I were you, I would get off SDN until after the MCAT and focus on that, looking at these threads on and off to see who got IIs will add further unnecessary stress haha
For the new MCAT, practice is key to build up endurance since it really is an absolute beast of a test (I took it twice oy :() at this point take as many practice tests as you can, best of luck and try not to worry about this cycle since it is very early still!

Ok my status has changed "thank you for interviewing"

No worry. Admissions are very hard to understand. Some ppl after you may get ii, that is completely normal. And I don't understand the reason of that either.

The other thing you should do is relax and stop thinking too much since the more thoughts you put into it, the crazier you will get. It will show up eventually. It's just July. Things still early to decide you get rejected until officially said so by admission

My status is "application under review" does anybody know how long it typically takes to hear from them after this?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

My status is "application under review" does anybody know how long it typically takes to hear from them after this?

From what I've read it can be a week to a year lol I think someone said there's still said that from last year o_O

It can stay that way until the next cycle starts. When I applied for my first time, I was never formally rejected from LECOM but instead that status was kept on my application till the next cycle started.

Did the MMI. Did pretty good in answering the questions. But out of the 8 minutes, I only spent about 3 minutes answering the questions. I felt like I should have been in there for a lot longer.

The group interview was meh.

My issue with the group interview is that it's hard to come off as non-douchey while everyone stares at you.

I'm proud of my accomplishments, but I feel like explaining them to both interviewers and 8 random strangers who are vying for the same spot as you is a little tough.

I remember saying the things I was working on now over the summer, and I saw a couple of students in the corner of my eye stare at each other in disbelief. I felt kinda bad and felt like I was humble bragging and trying to explain my experiences on other people's time if that makes sense.

The questions were reasonable, although even the interviewers were a little confused on the details of what the questions meant.

Oh well, hope everyone else had a great interview. LECOM is a good school and they have a good track record of matching a diverse number of physicians on par with average MD schools. They are also pretty ingrained in the community which I like.

Did the MMI. Did pretty good in answering the questions. But out of the 8 minutes, I only spent about 3 minutes answering the questions. I felt like I should have been in there for a lot longer.

My issue with the group interview is that it's hard to come off as non-douchey while everyone stares at you.

I'm proud of my accomplishments, but I feel like explaining them to both interviewers and 8 random strangers who are vying for the same spot as you is a little tough.

I remember saying the things I was working on now over the summer, and I saw a couple of students in the corner of my eye stare at each other in disbelief. I felt kinda bad and felt like I was humble bragging and trying to explain my experiences on other people's time if that makes sense.

The questions were reasonable, although even the interviewers were a little confused on the details of what the questions meant.

Oh well, hope everyone else had a great interview. LECOM is a good school and they have a good track record of matching a diverse number of physicians on par with average MD schools. They are also pretty ingrained in the community which I like.

Feel the same thing about the group interview. I was afraid to take much time from other interviewees so I only talk in brief details about what I did. I don't know if that gonna hurt me or not, and I think I should spend time talk more about volunteer and stuff but I don't think that answer the questions.
In the individual interview, I kinda have my answer, but then talk around it to related to my experiences a bit. I think I did ok. It was my first interview so the anxiety kinda kick in haha.

It's a good shool indeed. Good luck to you and others on other interview.

There was an MMI portion?!

II this morning!:soexcited:
Is anyone traveling from NY and know what's the best way to get to Erie? There are no direct flights, Amtrak only runs once a day to Erie, or an 8 hour drive.
I will be travelling from NY. Still trying to find our a cheaper way. I am thinking of taking megabus to Buffalo, and renting a car from there. Or just driving down there.. For me, flight is too expensive to afford. When is your interview? may be we can do something together?

I will be travelling from NY. Still trying to find our a cheaper way. I am thinking of taking megabus to Buffalo, and renting a car from there. Or just driving down there.. For me, flight is too expensive to afford. When is your interview? may be we can do something together?

I'm traveling from NY and am taking Greyhound. $100 round trip!

Anyone know if there will there be an MMI portion for the SH campus as well?

Anyone know when the "early decision" post-interview statuses are sent out?

Mine is on the 12th. Most likely going to drive from NY to Erie. Flights are too expensive and aren't direct flights.

3.29 sGPA, 3.28cGPA, 505 MCAT And no secondary from this school. Submitted primary way back in late May/ June. I am also Canadian. Assuming a silent rejection here?

Got another question if you are still willing to help?

So I was checking out the area today (Interview tomorrow). I was completely blown away by UPMC-Hamot and St. Vincent. Mill creek looks good but doesn't look as comparable. I reviewed previous threads and I know there has been a problem rotating students at these sites.

Can you comment on anything you've heard about this or have any idea if we can still rotate at these sites?

Thanks again :)

The rotations swap around from year to year but I believe UPMC-Hamot used to be a site a year or 2 ago, but St. Vincent is still available. Milcreek is one of the two major sites that most students go to. (The other is in Elmira, NY)

Submitted II 7/25
Got an interview this morning

My portal says:
2016-2017: "under review"
2017-2018: "under review"

Don't hold your breath...

LOL SAME. Haven't been rejected for last cycle yet!