Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So all of my pre-requisites and letters for SH are marked incomplete despite having an interview next week. Bradenton has all of my stuff. At what point do I call?

+1 it says they have nothing

Members don't see this ad.

+1 it says they have nothing
Called Allison Gloekler and she said don't worry yet they haven't actually looked at the transcripts for the 8/26 interviews yet but they go through each one individually because they're a lot more lenient with pre-reqs than AACOMAS is. She went through for me and made sure all of my letters were good for them and she said to keep checking back over this week and early next week for updates to the pre-reqs.

Reactions: 1 user
Called Allison Gloekler and she said don't worry yet they haven't actually looked at the transcripts for the 8/26 interviews yet but they go through each one individually because they're a lot more lenient with pre-reqs than AACOMAS is. She went through for me and made sure all of my letters were good for them and she said to keep checking back over this week and early next week for updates to the pre-reqs.

Great! See you there.

Members don't see this ad :)
which campus do you call to speak to her?

I was complete on 08/03/2016 and it still says "under review". Did anybody recieve interview recently? I am anxious. I had some hope for LECOM.

Under review 4 lyfe

It's the purgatory of the med school app process

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
When did you submitted for secondary? I thought turn around time was 2 weeks.

Not too long ago tbh, like the 25th of July. Just heard that some people got put on review for the whole cycle last year. I wouldn't attempt to put any time limit on it

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I was complete on 08/03/2016 and it still says "under review". Did anybody recieve interview recently? I am anxious. I had some hope for LECOM.
Been complete since 7/15 and still under review, soooo i'm not even expecting anything at this point.

Been complete since 7/15 and still under review, soooo i'm not even expecting anything at this point.
What are your stats if you don't mind me asking. I feel like its my MCAT score which is barely average for DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Been a lurker for a while thought I would post if it helps you guys! Just got an II around 12:30PM today at Erie OOS MCAT 508 cGPA 3.9! Good luck everyone first interview of the season super stoked! complete 7/6!

Reactions: 2 users
Just got II today. Wondering if it's still necessary to apply for LECOM - Bradenton, as I believe LECOM and LECOM - Bradenton each has it's own separate application and decision making process. Correct me if I am wrong.

Just got II today. Wondering if it's still necessary to apply for LECOM - Bradenton, as I believe LECOM and LECOM - Bradenton each has it's own separate application and decision making process. Correct me if I am wrong.
Did you get an II for Erie or Seton Hill?

When did you comlete your secondary?

that is correct

Erie! Cause I read it's the better one among 3
Thanks for letting me know! I submitted mine the day after you. I put down Seton Hill cause I live next to it haha. Hoping for some love from there!

II at the erie campus for sep 30! 3.7 gpa/29-30 mcat
currently looking up the best way to go from new york city to erie
I'm looking at greyhound & amtrak (decent cost - but gonna take a WHILE to get there)
Not trying to take a flight because its very expensive but if that's the best route then i'll take that

I would fly to pittsburgh or buffalo but do not know how to drive to actually get to erie :(

any thoughts or ideas are welcomed!

I'm looking at greyhound & amtrak (decent cost - but gonna take a WHILE to get there)
Not trying to take a flight because its very expensive but if that's the best route then i'll take that

I would fly to pittsburgh or buffalo but do not know how to drive to actually get to erie :(

When were you complete if you don't mind me asking?

is driving out of the question? the majority of routes you take are like 90% highway to get to Erie. Congrats on the II!

How long did it take you guys to receive a secondary? I just added LECOM last week

When they invite you for a interview, do they provide you with several dates to choose from or they assign you one?

is driving out of the question? the majority of routes you take are like 90% highway to get to Erie. Congrats on the II!

thank you! I mean I got my license a year ago and my parents dont trust me enough to drive to another state -________-
i guess i'll fly one way and then take the amtrak coming back since i don't have to go to school anymore haha

I have my first interview here scheduled for August 26th-- I saw the weather forecast for that general time and see that it will be roughly 50% humidity, and scattered thunderstorms?? Any Pennsylvania locals or northeasterners wanna chime in and give a west coast guy advice on what I should pack?(i.e warm clothes like sweaters, or light clothing)

I have my first interview here scheduled for August 26th-- I saw the weather forecast for that general time and see that it will be roughly 50% humidity, and scattered thunderstorms?? Any Pennsylvania locals or northeasterners wanna chime in and give a west coast guy advice on what I should pack?(i.e warm clothes like sweaters, or light clothing)
I was at LECOM last Friday and the weather was very hot and humid. As for the rain storms, they were pouring hard ( couldn't see more than a foot in front of the car as I was going 80 on the highway). Aside from a fancy suit, I would bring an umbrella. The campus tour is all indoors so you won't be going outside. What hotel are you staying at?

Last edited:
I was at LECOM last Friday and the weather was very hot and humid. As for the rain storms, they were pouring hard ( couldn't see more than a foot in front of the car as I was going 80 on the highway). Aside from a fancy suit, I would bring an umbrella. The campus tour is all in doors so you won't be going outside. What hotel are you staying at?

Wow I thought the west coast was pretty hot right now--and I was expecting cold weather for the east coast. I guess i'll pack light clothes and an umbrella. I'm still deciding on a hotel.

Highly recommend the residence inn! You get a huge suite and free breakfast :cool:

Since I have some free time, I wanted to share my experience at LECOM:

PROS:
1) The area around the school is nice (not as rural as I imagined) with a shopping complex about 2 miles away.
2) Many places to dine out.
3) There is a private housing complex that is literally across the street from the school with cheap rent ($600/ month for 1 bedroom). However, the current students said that you can get an even cheaper apartment in Downtown Erie (1o minute drive)
4) Very safe area, low crime, many beaches and places for outdoor activities.
5) The infrastructure of LECOM is modern and seems like it were recently built. (Modern smart classrooms with outlets and ports).
6) The freedom to choose how you want to learn (different pathways).
7) Cheap tuition (30k, as I recall?).
8) All books are available as ebooks and are included into the tuition.
9) Faculty are readily available to help.
10) The current student seemed happy and liked LECOM.
11) The opportunity to become a physician in 3 years, if you are only interested in primary care.
12) 100% match rate last cycle.
13) 1 year away rotations in San Diego (CA), Yonkers (NY), and Almira (NY) during MSIII and MSIV. If you are from the Northeast or the West Coast, you can be closer to home.
14) The elective rotations are completely yours and you can use them all for a single field.
15) You get to meet and get to know current DO physicians during OMM class, so some networking opportunities.
16) Lectures are 50 min long with breaks in between.
17) Opportunity to work during the summer in the anatomy lab and prepare cadavers for dissections for the fall and spring semesters.
18) PBL is 3x per week, 2 hour sessions, with students driving the objective and facilitating whats on going to be the exam.
19) Lectures are going to be recorded starting this year.
20) Can choose to do a masters in health administration during the 3rd year.

CONS:
1) Formal dress code from 8am-5pm (okay to wear casual clothing in the evenings and weekends).
2) No food or drinks in the classrooms.
3) Going to need a car as there are no sidewalks and most areas aren't walkable.
4) Food and clothing prices are comparable to the prices in a large city.
5) Attendance is mandatory for LDP (5x per week).
6) No anatomy lab for PBL ( students learn from 3D simulations) and PBL takes place at a different location in downtown.
7) You have to find your own preceptorships (the school doesn't set you up with mentors).
8) The school boasted that they spent 6 million on improving the research center, but did not go much into what research is being done. (I guess, it's safe to assume that research is not all that important at LECOM).
9) Getting to LECOM is difficult, no direct flights, AMTRAK runs only during specific times and no direct bus service either.
10) Library closes at 11pm.
11) For all the pathways (except LDP), you are on your own to learn the material to pass the classes and the COMLEX.
12) 180 students per classroom.
13) Erie is always in the top five cities with the highest amount of snow and gets very cold in the winter.
* These points aren't in some specific order, just what I randomly remembered.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Since I have some free time, I wanted to share my experience at LECOM:

Can you give some more insight on the no food/drink policy? Like are you able to store a water bottle in your backpack but you just can't bring it out in the classroom?

edit: just realized you're not a current student lol

May I ask source? When I asked they said it was unlikely this happening during our time. spoke with students during the luncheon they echoed this sentiment.
During the interview someone asked if lectures are recorded and the speaker (forgot their name) said that they are going to start this year.

Can you give some more insight on the no food/drink policy? Like are you able to store a water bottle in your backpack but you just can't bring it out in the classroom?

no drinks at all in the lecture room. you get lockers to store that in

I am not a current student, but they explained during the interview that food and beverages aren't allowed in classrooms or any areas where there are electronics or carpet as in the past they had issues with water getting into the ports and outlets causing power outages and food getting mushed into the carpet.

I went to undergrad in the area and am from the Pittsburgh area. Trust me, you don't want to pack anything heavy. You'll be sweating the entire time with the humidity Haha

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

As stated before, I attended a local university very close to lecom and is an affiliated school. I know a lot about the area and the school because I interviewed there last cycle and have been in close proximity to the school. If anyone wants a real take on the school and the area feel free to pm me

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

In case anyone was wondering, obsessively checking the portal does not remove you from the "under review" purgatory. Well, at least not for me, anyway. Now that I think of it, I should probably check one more time to be sure......

Reactions: 4 users
In case anyone was wondering, obsessively checking the portal does not remove you from the "under review" purgatory. Well, at least not for me, anyway. Now that I think of it, I should probably check one more time to be sure......
Literally me all day lol

Reactions: 1 users

If you really wanted it in your bag they don't search them or anything, you just wouldn't be able to take it out

May I ask source? When I asked they said it was unlikely this happening during our time. spoke with students during the luncheon they echoed this sentiment.
Yeah, they are recording the lectures. Or at the very least they told us they were and gave students directions to find the lectures. I haven't personally used them since I am in lecture all day I don't want to watch them again