Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not at all!
Complete 7.4.16
Non-traditional
3.43 overall, 3.2 science
MCAT: 503 (1 attempt)
4 years full-time research.
~1000 volunteer hours (including shadowing)
Thanks! When did you get the II I've been complete 7/15 and still under review

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks! When did you get the II I've been complete 7/15 and still under review

a month and a day later on 8.5.16! I would imagine that a ton of people who got my secondary email put it off until after the fourth so don't worry! They're probably on a backlog. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I finished my secondary app 8/26. I hope they have a quick turn around.

Non-traditional Student
3.26 overall, 3.2 science
MCAT: 501 (1 try, meh)
8 years in healthcare (6 as a RN and 2 as a CNA/Tele Tech)

Wishing everyone good luck.

Complete 7/5 for me and still nothing :(

It's still SO early. My friend who got in to ACOM a couple of years ago hadn't even started her applications yet around this time. She didn't interview until mid to late February. Seriously, the waiting is the hardest part but don't panic. You've done your due diligence and put in all the effort. If a school doesn't interview me, I'm taking it as a hint that I wouldn't be a good cultural fit. And I would prefer them not interview me if that's the case! Having worked several full-time jobs, nothing is as painful as being at an institution where you don't "click" correctly with administration/your boss/your colleagues. I hope you start hearing back from places soon! :) (If it makes you feel any better, I applied 27 DO, 13 MD (-4 DO as I haven't done the secondaries yet) and I have only heard from 2 so far).

Reactions: 1 users
For those who have interviewed in Erie. Is Uber and Lyft reliable? I am staying at the Days Inn and just want to be sure this will work out or if I need to rent a car. Obviously I don't think the interview would start off good if I said, "Sorry I was late it took Uber forever to get to me..."

For those who have interviewed in Erie. Is Uber and Lyft reliable? I am staying at the Days Inn and just want to be sure this will work out or if I need to rent a car. Obviously I don't think the interview would start off good if I said, "Sorry I was late it took Uber forever to get to me..."

Used uber when I was traveling around the city. Seemed like there was ample amount throughout the entire day.

I wouldn't take this chance on interview day and just schedule a cab-service pickup from your hotel.

Reactions: 3 users

Either go way early or just rent a car so you know it's there when you're ready!

When I arrived to Erie I used uber to get to my hotel-- but on my interview day I woke up early and checked to see that no uber was available in the area-- thankfully I saved the Erie cab service number and scheduled a cab pick up at 7am-- so if you want a reliable transportation-- USE Erie cab service.

can anyone who interviewed here give some feedback (whatever is allowed) on how interview day was? I heard about the group interview but not sure what to expect

can anyone who interviewed here give some feedback (whatever is allowed) on how interview day was? I heard about the group interview but not sure what to expect
I thought the group interview was very relaxed. You have the option of doing another interview after with just you and two faculty members. They informed us that this optional interview was implemented because students have said in the past they wanted more opportunities to talk about themselves and their experiences one-on-one; however, I felt that the individual interview was very rigid and they only asked 2 questions both of which didn't really allow me to touch on any of my experiences at all. So personally, I felt that the optional interview was not serving its intended purpose. I also thought the tour guide was apathetic and unprepared, as most rooms we wanted to see were locked so we didn't even get to really peak in anywhere in order to get a good idea of what the classrooms and labs looked like. So in short, the group interview was great and the one-on-one was not so great. Hope this helps!

Has anyone heard any news from LECOM post interview? Like acceptance/waitlist/rejection?

Looks like they're interviewing so many students week after week, but nothing is happening afterwards...

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard any news from LECOM post interview? Like acceptance/waitlist/rejection?

Looks like they're interviewing so many students week after week, but nothing is happening afterwards...

I think they don't make normal decisions until November and even early decisions people have till sept 30th to hear back!(I think)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Remember that paper we had to sign regarding decisions? We won't hear back until the date we picked. (Either Sept 30 or Nov 15)

Remember that paper we had to sign regarding decisions? We won't hear back until the date we picked. (Either Sept 30 or Nov 15)

Shoot! This post interview wait is killer. Guess Ive got 28 more days to go!

Reactions: 4 users
It said by the 30th, so it can be at any day before then. The decisions are also sent out by snail mail so it can arrive before or after Sept 30th.

Still waiting to hear on an interview at all!

Reactions: 5 users
It said by the 30th, so it can be at any day before then. The decisions are also sent out by snail mail so it can arrive before or after Sept 30th.

When I interviewed the lady said that they will not send them out till Sept. 30 or Oct. 1, but not before.

However, I chose the regular decision. So I will not be hearing back till mid November.

When I interviewed the lady said that they will not send them out till Sept. 30 or Oct. 1, but not before.

However, I chose the regular decision. So I will not be hearing back till mid November.
The paper that we had to sign said that the decision will be made before the 30th. So I guess the decisions will be mailed out on the 30th or a few days before so they arrive on that date.

Interviewing here on the 23rd! Do they have any student-host programs or should I just plan on getting a hotel?

Interviewing here on the 23rd! Do they have any student-host programs or should I just plan on getting a hotel?
Sadly you have to get a hotel. LECOM has an agreement with several hotels in the area for a special rate but that's about it :(

Same!!!! I'm planning to stay 2 nights, since my travel time is over 6 hours :dead:.
Same here - layover both ways flying in unfortunately. At least that'll give us time to check out the city and surrounding areas!

This is probably an EXTREMELY stupid question, but stay with me:

I am only seeing LECOM (Erie) and LECOM (Bradenton) on the AACOMAS application program list. Is the option only available on the Secondary App?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is probably an EXTREMELY stupid question, but stay with me:

I am only seeing LECOM (Erie) and LECOM (Bradenton) on the AACOMAS application program list. Is the option only available on the Secondary App?

Yes. The secondary for Erie has campus options (Senton Hill & Erie.) And then Bradenton is just Bradenton obviously.

Are there any current students willing to explain more about the learning pathways? How are problem based and self directed different? Do you just not meet in groups for the self study? It seems like PBL is mostly learning on your own anyway. Can you still go to lectures if you choose one of the alternate paths? I'd like the option to go but don't want the anxiety of mandatory attendance. Do you feel the lectures are worth your time?

Last edited:
Are there any current students willing to explain more about the learning pathways? How are problem based and self directed different? Do you just not meet in groups for the self study? It seems like PBL is mostly learning on your own anyway. Can you still go to lectures if you choose one of the alternate paths? I'd like the option to go but don't want the anxiety of mandatory attendance. Do you feel the lectures are worth your time?
I don't think I'm the best person to address most of these questions as I am not a current student, however there is one thing that I wish I had known prior to my interview day as I also wanted the option of attending lectures but not being restricted to mandatory attendance. During my interview day, I learned the different pathways do not always learn things in the same sequence/time frame. So while you are permitted to attend lectures while in another pathway, the material covered in lecture may not match up with the content you're currently responsible for. Some of the current students I met mentioned that the professors are generally very accommodating and may be willing to send you the powerpoint for the lecture on a given topic, though, if you are struggling in an area. I hope this helps a bit!

I don't think I'm the best person to address most of these questions as I am not a current student, however there is one thing that I wish I had known prior to my interview day as I also wanted the option of attending lectures but not being restricted to mandatory attendance. During my interview day, I learned the different pathways do not always learn things in the same sequence/time frame. So while you are permitted to attend lectures while in another pathway, the material covered in lecture may not match up with the content you're currently responsible for. Some of the current students I met mentioned that the professors are generally very accommodating and may be willing to send you the powerpoint for the lecture on a given topic, though, if you are struggling in an area. I hope this helps a bit!

Thanks! I was actually wondering about exactly what you posted. Unfortunately it just makes the decision even more difficult!

Thanks! I was actually wondering about exactly what you posted. Unfortunately it just makes the decision even more difficult!
It does unfortunately. I chose to rank the pathways based on what would be a best fit for my learning style without any additional resources, just to be safe. Also they said it is possible to switch later on!

My interview date is 10/7 but something has come up and I might not be able to make it...can anyone switch with me?!

Interview invite received today. Scheduled for first available which was 11/11.

Reactions: 2 users
Complete 7/27 really getting tired of waiting :/

For the optional individual interview, is that where they give you ethical situations and you just present for a specific amount of time?

For the optional individual interview, is that where they give you ethical situations and you just present for a specific amount of time?

Depends on the interviewer. My interviewer asked me what I would do in a certain scenario. And then a few other personal questions.

Other people at my interview day just had personal questions.

II today. Complete 8/15
Congrats! Completed 8/22 for me... @_@ No II though....

I wonder if them calling me the week after I received the supplemental had anything to do with it? They called and asked if I received the secondary invite and if I was able to complete it. I was stuck on deciding what campus >.< & what kind of learning pathway.

Does anyone know what room the interviews are in at the Erie campus? I've never been there so I have no idea what I'm looking for once I get to the address.

Does anyone know what room the interviews are in at the Erie campus? I've never been there so I have no idea what I'm looking for once I get to the address.
Just go into the main door! There will be multiple people to direct you from there to where you need to be.

walk in and they will check you in and lead you upstairs in big batches

Big batches? Lol!
yeah haha like 6-8 at a time and you should expect like 30-40 people total. Primary interview is a group interview consisting of 5-6 people and then you have an optional 1on2 interview after.