Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Since I have some free time, I wanted to share my experience at LECOM:

PROS:
8) All books are available as ebooks and are included into the tuition.
13) 1 year away rotations in San Diego (CA), Yonkers (NY), and Almira (NY) during MSIII and MSIV. If you are from the Northeast or the West Coast, you can be closer to home.
19) Lectures are going to be recorded starting this year.
20) Can choose to do a masters in health administration during the 3rd year.

CONS:
1) Formal dress code from 8am-5pm (okay to wear casual clothing in the evenings and weekends).
2) No food or drinks in the classrooms.
3) Going to need a car as there are no sidewalks and most areas aren't walkable.
7) You have to find your own preceptorships (the school doesn't set you up with mentors).

I'm a current student from Seton Hill, and just thought I'd address of few of these.
PRO 8: This is only for Erie, not Seton Hill. And while it's cool that they're including the books in the COA, it's less cool if you're like me and actually prefer paper textbooks. Not saying you should have put it in the con category, just that it could go both ways. If you're LDP and learning mostly from powerpoints anyway, it's probably great.
PRO 13: This is true, but just remember there's no guarantee you'll get your first choice of site. You're presented with a list, and rank your top choices #1-#6. In my class, everyone got one of their top three choices, which was great! But everyone from the west coast and California won't land in San Diego-- there's only 13 spots there (typically 9 for Erie, 4 for Seton Hill), plus that site has a 3.0 GPA requirement. Additionally, everyone in "alpha group" below a certain GPA (2.5 for my class, but may have changed) can only go to Erie or Elmira. That said, you have a lot of control over where you end up and that's great, but it would be a shame if you picked LECOM thinking you were sure to get one of the popular big-city spots and then find out that's not a guarantee.
PRO 19: Cool, but they're mandatory anyway.
PRO 21: There's also a master's in medical education. You do pay extra tuition for either program, albeit at a very steep discount. I don't know much more about either one.
CON 1: This isn't as bad as SDN makes it sound. You get used to it. I'm coming from Seton Hill though where it's slightly more relaxed (ties and formal clothes still required, but they're less picky about snow boots in winter, etc)
CON 2: Also not as bad as you're imagining. You can make it through a lecture without a snack. I imagine it's more annoying for LDPers than it was for us in PBL, though.
CON 3: True. You MIGHT be able to get away without a car during the pre-clinical years if you're not averse to a lot of walking, but it's difficult to near impossible in the clinical years.
CON 7: What's a preceptorship? I'm not quite sure what I'm missing out on here. You are assigned advisors, if that makes you feel better.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a current student from Seton Hill, and just thought I'd address of few of these.
PRO 8: This is only for Erie, not Seton Hill. And while it's cool that they're including the books in the COA, it's less cool if you're like me and actually prefer paper textbooks. Not saying you should have put it in the con category, just that it could go both ways. If you're LDP and learning mostly from powerpoints anyway, it's probably great.
PRO 13: This is true, but just remember there's no guarantee you'll get your first choice of site. You're presented with a list, and rank your top choices #1-#6. In my class, everyone got one of their top three choices, which was great! But everyone from the west coast and California won't land in San Diego-- there's only 13 spots there (typically 9 for Erie, 4 for Seton Hill), plus that site has a 3.0 GPA requirement. Additionally, everyone in "alpha group" below a certain GPA (2.5 for my class, but may have changed) can only go to Erie or Elmira. That said, you have a lot of control over where you end up and that's great, but it would be a shame if you picked LECOM thinking you were sure to get one of the popular big-city spots and then find out that's not a guarantee.
PRO 19: Cool, but they're mandatory anyway.
PRO 21: There's also a master's in medical education. You do pay extra tuition for either program, albeit at a very steep discount. I don't know much more about either one.
CON 1: This isn't as bad as SDN makes it sound. You get used to it. I'm coming from Seton Hill though where it's slightly more relaxed (ties and formal clothes still required, but they're less picky about snow boots in winter, etc)
CON 2: Also not as bad as you're imagining. You can make it through a lecture without a snack. I imagine it's more annoying for LDPers than it was for us in PBL, though.
CON 3: True. You MIGHT be able to get away without a car during the pre-clinical years if you're not averse to a lot of walking, but it's difficult to near impossible in the clinical years.
CON 7: What's a preceptorship? I'm not quite sure what I'm missing out on here. You are assigned advisors, if that makes you feel better.
A perceptorship is when a medical school offers you an opportunity to gain early clinical experience during the preclinical years by allowing you to shadow a doctor during those years.

Edit: the physician usually has some sort of connection to the school, so the schools assigns this doctor; in turn, it's more experience and an extra opportunity to gain a recommendation letter.

For LOR, did you guys send them the same LOR from AACOMAS or did you get one specifically for LECOM? I read in their website that the letter has to be specific for LECOM. Is that true?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be interviewing at Seton Hill next Friday, Aug 26. I'm concerned about the group interview as I've never done one before. Does anyone have any advice on preparing for a group interview or what kind of questions they could ask? I have no idea how long you will get to talk when you're in a group with 6 or so other applicants. Will they cut you off if you don't get your point across fast enough? I'm trying to time myself but I don't know how long is "too long".

I'll be interviewing at Seton Hill next Friday, Aug 26. I'm concerned about the group interview as I've never done one before. Does anyone have any advice on preparing for a group interview or what kind of questions they could ask? I have no idea how long you will get to talk when you're in a group with 6 or so other applicants. Will they cut you off if you don't get your point across fast enough? I'm trying to time myself but I don't know how long is "too long".
relax.. its honestly not that bad. Everyone is trying to be nice and the people in our group ended up laughing a bit. We cant give specific details on interview questions but they aren't something you can prepare for so just relax

I have been complete here for almost 5 weeks and haven't heard anything from them. Hopefully I hear something soon because I am starting to get worried :(

Reactions: 1 user

Your amount of talking will vary. Sometimes you will be directly asked a question, or allowed to contribute to one.
If you are excessive, you will likely be cut off. If you happen to have certain interviewers that despise wishy washy answers that appear weak or outright incorrect - they could very well comment on it. Every interview group/interviewer is different.

Don't try to memorize, take a moment to -think- before you speak. It is far more impressive to quickly adjust and discuss than just dump info you memorized, and likely it will come out poorly if you are nervous and your memory goes blank.

One piece of advice for almost any interview in my experiences and discussions with peers - if given a chance to describe yourself, limit it. The easy approach is 1 where are you from 2 where you went to school (terminal degrees) 3 major/grad 4 currently what you are doing (job). It should take more than 30 seconds or so to do even a detailed calm explanation of the big points of your intro. Don't start from when you were born.

As I posted earlier - don't be a jerk, be relaxed, but don't be afraid to give a strong stance on clear cut subjects. Such as questions about academic honesty, medical ethics etc. Playing the fence is alright in grey areas, but appearing timid to commit to a hypothetical can make you seem weak or dishonest.

Know the school, you are not just "making the rounds." There are others that are truly eager to place any school as their top one, and likely know the history and policies. Don't diss the dress code, nor question the obvious -no snacks, drinks etc - stuff.

I recommend being social on the walks of the campus, but not loud and crude. Say hello to everyone as you go back and forth as it mixes everyone up. Everyone else is likely to at least say a few things to relieve the tension they are thinking about and prefer to have some small talk.

Feeling a little more relaxed yet?

Reactions: 3 users
Just to be on the safe side, I checked the portal today and can gleefully state that I am still "under review." Anything other than this would indicate change. As a male, I despise change.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone on here who interviewed that had to fly in? If I flew to Erie airport would I need to rent a car? I haven't asked yet but I assume there is a shuttle from the airport to the hotels (don't know which I'm staying at). Other than that I guess getting from the hotel to the school would be my only traveling.

Anyone on here who interviewed that had to fly in? If I flew to Erie airport would I need to rent a car? I haven't asked yet but I assume there is a shuttle from the airport to the hotels (don't know which I'm staying at). Other than that I guess getting from the hotel to the school would be my only traveling.
The airport is 10 min away by car. Some hotels have a free shuttle service or you can get an Uber X car for $10.

Edit: I stayed at the Fairfield Inn and it's the closest hotel to the school and airport.

Last edited:
II yesterday Secondary submitted back in late June/early july, under review since early July. Notified via email. Earliest date available was next Friday.

Members don't see this ad :)
II yesterday Secondary submitted back in late June/early july, under review since early July. Notified via email. Earliest date available was next Friday.
Thanks for the info are you interviewing at Erie? I was complete 7/15 so I'm hoping to get an II. The wait is worrying me haha

Can someone explain the LECOM Academic Index Score under the letter requirements? Is it mandatory to send in your ACT or SAT scores to the school??

Do the two branches communicate with one another for admissions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feeling a little more relaxed yet?

Thank you for writing such a detailed explanation trumpet12345! Yes, it's made me more relaxed. I have had bad luck with applications and interviews in the past, so I want to be extra prepared this time.

Can someone explain the LECOM Academic Index Score under the letter requirements? Is it mandatory to send in your ACT or SAT scores to the school??

I got an II and sent in SAT scores using AIS. Luckily, I didn't slack off on my SATs years ago and my reading and math scores were high.

So LECOM will check your MCAT score if you have one, and if it's too old or you didn't report any score, they will send you an email inviting you to submit SAT/ACT scores through AIS.

So, you first self-report your SAT/ACT scores on their website admissions portal and they add the scores you reported onto your file. If you got an II, then you need to send in your official score report. They tell you not to send official SAT/ACT scores unless invited.

So if you have valid MCAT scores, don't worry about the AIS.

If I'm reading this correctly, did you get an II from LECOM this cycle with just your AIS and no MCAT?

Thank you for writing such a detailed explanation trumpet12345! Yes, it's made me more relaxed. I have had bad luck with applications and interviews in the past, so I want to be extra prepared this time.

I got an II and sent in SAT scores using AIS. Luckily, I didn't slack off on my SATs years ago and my reading and math scores were high.

So LECOM will check your MCAT score if you have one, and if it's too old or you didn't report any score, they will send you an email inviting you to submit SAT/ACT scores through AIS.

So, you first self-report your SAT/ACT scores on their website admissions portal and they add the scores you reported onto your file. If you got an II, then you need to send in your official score report. They tell you not to send official SAT/ACT scores unless invited.

Thank you! I sent them my MCAT scores with my primaries and I never got the email to submit my ACT scores so I think I'm okay!

If I'm reading this correctly, did you get an II from LECOM this cycle with just your AIS and no MCAT?

Basically. I do have MCAT scores that I reported in my AACOMAS, but the scores are too old to be considered by LECOM. I imagine they saw that my scores are too old, so they sent me an email inviting me to submit SAT/ACT scores though AIS. Because my MCAT scores are more than 3 years old, I am not able to meet the admission requirements for most med schools this cycle and could only apply to a few schools. I'm really glad LECOM as an alternative way to meet MCAT requirements, so I don't have to take an additional year off to study for the MCAT again. Especially now that the MCAT has changed.

Basically. I do have MCAT scores that I reported in my AACOMAS, but the scores are too old to be considered by LECOM. I imagine they saw that my scores are too old, so they sent me an email inviting me to submit SAT/ACT scores though AIS. Because my MCAT scores are more than 3 years old, I am not able to meet the admission requirements for most med schools this cycle and could only apply to a few schools. I'm really glad LECOM as an alternative way to meet MCAT requirements, so I don't have to take an additional year off to study for the MCAT again. Especially now that the MCAT has changed.
Which other schools did you apply to that have an alternative route such as LECOM?

II at Erie yesterday. Submitted both Erie and Bradenton on July 25th. I have a question to those that got a II. In the required letters and credit section all my requirements have red Xs. Do they get updated in a few days on their own? All my letters are on AACOMAS and they were assigned to Erie awhile ago. Thank you.

II at Erie yesterday. Submitted both Erie and Bradenton on July 25th. I have a question to those that got a II. In the required letters and credit section all my requirements have red Xs. Do they get updated in a few days on their own? All my letters are on AACOMAS and they were assigned to Erie awhile ago. Thank you.
They'll get updated on their own

My interview is next week and I just got an email today that said to not worry about those items because they will be checked off within this last week before the interview. As long as you have submitted everything you will be okay.

Any early appliers still waiting for an update? My supplemental was processed in late June and haven't heard anything since. No news is better than bad news I guess :D

Since I have some free time, I wanted to share my experience at LECOM:

PROS:
1) The area around the school is nice (not as rural as I imagined) with a shopping complex about 2 miles away.
2) Many places to dine out.
3) There is a private housing complex that is literally across the street from the school with cheap rent ($600/ month for 1 bedroom). However, the current students said that you can get an even cheaper apartment in Downtown Erie (1o minute drive)
4) Very safe area, low crime, many beaches and places for outdoor activities.
5) The infrastructure of LECOM is modern and seems like it were recently built. (Modern smart classrooms with outlets and ports).
6) The freedom to choose how you want to learn (different pathways).
7) Cheap tuition (30k, as I recall?).
8) All books are available as ebooks and are included into the tuition.
9) Faculty are readily available to help.
10) The current student seemed happy and liked LECOM.
11) The opportunity to become a physician in 3 years, if you are only interested in primary care.
12) 100% match rate last cycle.
13) 1 year away rotations in San Diego (CA), Yonkers (NY), and Almira (NY) during MSIII and MSIV. If you are from the Northeast or the West Coast, you can be closer to home.
14) The elective rotations are completely yours and you can use them all for a single field.
15) You get to meet and get to know current DO physicians during OMM class, so some networking opportunities.
16) Lectures are 50 min long with breaks in between.
17) Opportunity to work during the summer in the anatomy lab and prepare cadavers for dissections for the fall and spring semesters.
18) PBL is 3x per week, 2 hour sessions, with students driving the objective and facilitating whats on going to be the exam.
19) Lectures are going to be recorded starting this year.
20) Can choose to do a masters in health administration during the 3rd year.

CONS:
1) Formal dress code from 8am-5pm (okay to wear casual clothing in the evenings and weekends).
2) No food or drinks in the classrooms.
3) Going to need a car as there are no sidewalks and most areas aren't walkable.
4) Food and clothing prices are comparable to the prices in a large city.
5) Attendance is mandatory for LDP (5x per week).
6) No anatomy lab for PBL ( students learn from 3D simulations) and PBL takes place at a different location in downtown.
7) You have to find your own preceptorships (the school doesn't set you up with mentors).
8) The school boasted that they spent 6 million on improving the research center, but did not go much into what research is being done. (I guess, it's safe to assume that research is not all that important at LECOM).
9) Getting to LECOM is difficult, no direct flights, AMTRAK runs only during specific times and no direct bus service either.
10) Library closes at 11pm.
11) For all the pathways (except LDP), you are on your own to learn the material to pass the classes and the COMLEX.
12) 180 students per classroom.
13) Erie is always in the top five cities with the highest amount of snow and gets very cold in the winter.
* These points aren't in some specific order, just what I randomly remembered.

This is so helpful! Thanks for taking the time to post this!

This is so helpful! Thanks for taking the time to post this!
No problem, I am going to do a review for every school that I interview at this cycle.

Reactions: 5 users
finished my first interview here today, and i have to say there are a lot of impressive applicants -- I felt like I stood on the shoulder of giants. It's all out of my hands now, but I will say this-- I'm glad they have the added individual interview portion(optional) -- for those of us who have a slow start in the group interviews it's a good add-on.

I'm interviewing next week. At what point do you need to choose to do the optional interview? And I'm assuming most people choose to do this, is that the case for your group?

I'm interviewing next week. At what point do you need to choose to do the optional interview? And I'm assuming most people choose to do this, is that the case for your group?
You choose to sign up for the individual interview in the first morning overview presentation-- you do your individual interview after group interviews-- while groups take turns going through the guided tour(seeing the bookstore, library, cadaver lab, etc.) some will be having individual interviews. 2 questions 8 mins to complete it.

Edit: I think everybody pretty much signed up for the individual interview.

For LOR, do they have to specific for LECOM? or Could be general submitted in AACOMAS?

finished my first interview here today, and i have to say there are a lot of impressive applicants -- I felt like I stood on the shoulder of giants. It's all out of my hands now, but I will say this-- I'm glad they have the added individual interview portion(optional) -- for those of us who have a slow start in the group interviews it's a good add-on.

Huh, I interviewed at SH and they only had the group interview with 2 questioned asked for the group to answer. I'm assuming you interviewed at Erie? Seems like they put more emphasis on the interview there.

I can't wait another month to hear back from this school......... The wait is killing me

Huh, I interviewed at SH and they only had the group interview with 2 questioned asked for the group to answer. I'm assuming you interviewed at Erie? Seems like they put more emphasis on the interview there.

I'm sure they both put a large emphasis on interview. Since SH is all PBL, they were mostly trying to see how you interact in groups. I'm surprised your group only got through 2 questions in over an hour, mine had 4-5

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm sure they both put a large emphasis on interview. Since SH is all PBL, they were mostly trying to see how you interact in groups. I'm surprised your group only got through 2 questions in over an hour, mine had 4-5

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I wonder if we were in the same II group Ritts, mine had like 3.5 questions I think. There was so much discussion

Those that got interviews what are some of your alls STATS

Hey folks I am interviewing this friday Sept 2nd at Erie, staying in the city at a hotel on the 1st. If anyone wants to meet up and chill explore the city/school and what not together the day before inbox me

Hey everyone, current first year here. Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have :)

anyone else interviewing here next Friday September 9th??

Edit: Erie Campus!

Last edited:
Anyone interviewing on Sept 7th at Seton Hill? I get in on the 6th and will be exploring Pittsburgh!

Mind sharing stats and when you were complete

Not at all!
Complete 7.4.16
Non-traditional
3.43 overall, 3.2 science
MCAT: 503 (1 attempt)
4 years full-time research.
~1000 volunteer hours (including shadowing)