Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any indication on when the first files will be reviewed if you chose immediate/early review?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Once September begins I believe

Members don't see this ad.

So what did people who already interview do? The early option or wait until November 17th? What was your train of thought?

Members don't see this ad :)
I remember reading somewhere that PBL students don't get cadavers but I can't find it again. Does anyone know if this is true?

PBL Bradenton gets cadavers. PBL Seton Hill does not currently have cadavers, but this may change in a couple years. PBL Erie technically does not have cadavers, but you have full access to the LDP cadavers during on hours, so if you wanted to, you could go and look at them for clarification (not sure how many people actually do this). All cadavers are prosected, which is generally considered the best option to avoid having to cut through all the fascia.

To give you an idea of how this affects learning anatomy, I would have liked cadavers, but in the end our class averages are consistently higher than the national NBME anatomy shelf average that's taken by many med schools (MD and DO) across the country.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm conflicted because I think I find the PBL path more appealing but feel like I'd be missing out on a lot not having a cadaver. I was a neuroscience major in undergrad and I remember how easy it was to remember structures and cranial nerves after I actually dissected a sheep's brain.

By "prosected" do you mean that someone else dissects and the cadaver is available for you to look at? Or is that simply referring to the computerized "dissection."

My interview isn't until October, though so I guess I have a bit of time to decide on what I want.

What path do you all plan on picking as your first choice?

Prosection means that all the structures are already dissected, so you are simply in lab folding over layers to identify structures (no real cutting on your part).

@gc7777 Pretty sure until November it's 30 days, then November-December is 14 days, then January onward is immediately.

"Immediately" is really 14 days from when they date the letter (usually 1.5 wks or so from when you get it).

Hello, so something came up with work and I need to reschedule my interview. I already rescheduled once by email. Now, I would like to call to reschedule an interview in order to guarantee a date that I want. Is calling LECOM an acceptable thing to do or will they just tell me to email them again? I was thinking about calling their main number to direct me to someone who can help. Help? Thanks!

I doubt you'll get a hold of the person you'd need to by calling, so I would email. That said, if you can, I'd try to attend. Changing an interview twice isn't really a positive thing. It could seem like you're not really interested in the school.

Hi there,

I got an interview invitation about a week ago, should I schedule it ASAP?

As in, is it in my best interest to interview as early as I can?

The sooner you schedule it, the sooner you'll get a result (unless you select a later decision), and that usually means there's more spots available and more acceptances to hand out. Obviously it's up to you, especially if you have another interview that is higher on your list, and that you'd risk delaying the LECOM interview for.

Anyone try calling them to find out their decision, like the kids at Bradenton? lol

They have a strict policy of not giving out post-interview decisions by anything other than snail-mail. They've had issues in the past with this, which is why it's a policy now. Bradenton has a completely separate adcom and process.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So what did people who already interview do? The early option or wait until November 17th? What was your train of thought?
I did regular decision. $1500 non refundable deposit is way too much to throw down that early

Reactions: 2 users
Hi, guys. My 2nd application to Seton Hill was processed on August 11th, but still no II. Does it mean a silent rejection?

Hi, guys. My 2nd application to Seton Hill was processed on August 11th, but still no II. Does it mean a silent rejection?

No, you will eventually get a interview, hold, or rejection

LECOM is very variable as to when they decide to interview people. Some people get an ii within 3 wks of submitting their secondaries, whereas others wait for months before getting an ii. It really depends on how competitive you are and how many interviews they are handing out. To give you an idea, during my interview in Feb of my app cycle, I met a lot of people that were complete in Sept and hadn't heard anything until they got their ii in Dec/Jan. If they really don't want you they'll reject you, so don't write off your LECOM app unless you actually get a rejection letter.

Thanks, hallow. What do you think my chance? 3.75 sGPA, 3.12 cGPA, 29 MCAT (with 6 verbal tho).

Thanks, hallow. What do you think my chance? 3.75 sGPA, 3.12 cGPA, 29 MCAT (with 6 verbal tho).

Just wait and see my friend, our opinion is mostly meaningless. I'm sure you have a fine shot

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any recommendation/comments on which hotel to stay at?

Any recommendation/comments on which hotel to stay at?
The days inn was the cheapest and had a shuttle to LECOM that was free. But, the beds were kind of shot. Otherwise typical hotel room plus it was cheap.

The wait is a killer, I hope at least they start reviewing people this week and send out the first round of acceptances on Friday or next week.

Don't we all. I think we have quite a while though. They may start reviewing well into Sept

Just received my first overall II from LECOM-Seton Hill. Scheduled for Oct 7, anybody else scheduled at this time? I will be flying in from Utah and am really excited for this opportunity. I'm a non traditional student 3.64 sGPA and 3.58 total GPA with a low MCAT 7/9/9 . Didn't receive my score back until the first week of August and considered retaking because of computer issues I had during the physics section (images wouldn't load). Hopefully I get a chance to meet some of you there in Oct.

Had the interview today. Very chill. Don't stress and my group was full of awesome people. So, don't be nervous.
If you have any questions, free feel to message.

Reactions: 2 users
One tip: If you are not sure how each pathway works, don't mention it during the interview. Because they will ask you why? and how the pathway works on a day to day basis.

Kinda true example: Why LECOM?
Ans: One of the reason is the PBL pathway.... blah..blah..blah...
Interviewer: Why PBL?
Ans: my friend had a advanced microbiology course where they learned through case study on flash card or something....blah..blah
Interviewer: So what do you think you will do on a day to day basis
Ans: Work in group, and learn from cases
Interviewer: NOP, you actually do a lot of independent studying and reading most of the time. You meet 2 hours a day.. blah...blah..blah (you get the point)

I interviewed today as well. I agree that it was very laid back but I found it hard to stand out in the group interview. Everyone seemed so much more qualified and composed than I was. I really hope my lack of EC's compared to everyone else doesn't hurt me in the admissions process. I can't wait for a one-on-one interview.

One tip: If you are not sure how each pathway works, don't mention it during the interview. Because they will ask you why? and how the pathway works on a day to day basis.

Kinda true example: Why LECOM?
Ans: One of the reason is the PBL pathway.... blah..blah..blah...
Interviewer: Why PBL?
Ans: my friend had a advanced microbiology course where they learned through case study on flash card or something....blah..blah
Interviewer: So what do you think you will do on a day to day basis
Ans: Work in group, and learn from cases
Interviewer: NOP, you actually do a lot of independent studying and reading most of the time. You meet 2 hours a day.. blah...blah..blah (you get the point)

They spend an hour pre interview going over the pathways in detail for a reason

I interviewed today as well. I agree that it was very laid back but I found it hard to stand out in the group interview. Everyone seemed so much more qualified and composed than I was. I really hope my lack of EC's compared to everyone else doesn't hurt me in the admissions process. I can't wait for a one-on-one interview.
There is truth to that. But, the questions that were directed to you, like something interesting about your self etc. had the opp to introduce and set yourself apart from the group. tbh, I doubt they are looking for a candidate that is just AMAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZINNNNNNNNG. They are probably looking for a candidate that can complete their program, score high on the standard tests and pass (like the ppt. suggested that they take pride in those stats...lol), and can work well within a group. Otherwise, they would have gone with the 1 vs 1 interview.

They spend an hour pre interview going over the pathways in detail for a reason
Yeah, but it's hardly enough information to get a very good idea... I think the person that responded like this will be fine, but I thought it was funny when he got , for a lack of a better word, schooled.

Does anyone else's account on the portal say none of the items are received (courses, letters, MCAT, etc)?

Does anyone else's account on the portal say none of the items are received (courses, letters, MCAT, etc)?

I called the office to double check because I had the same problem and they said they generally will download the letters a week before the interview date.

Is this the week ... ?

Hi guys.
Is anyone interviewing on Sep 12? I'm staying at Day's Inn.

Interview here on 8/29. Impression I got was that that they weren't going to review apps for at least 2 more weeks.

We'll see, there are many conflicting reports! Our interview had different statements depending on whomever we asked.

The form, for example said that the decisions would be sent out by Sept 30. The presenter said reviewing begins in September. One interviewer said that we would probably finalize decisions by mid October, while another said the decision process begins first week of Sept

It's a bit different this year so I suppose not everyone is on the same page. Although as for the 8/29 interviewee, since that's the most recent statement I suppose that we'll have to accept that there's a few weeks left

We'll see, there are many conflicting reports! Our interview had different statements depending on whomever we asked.

The form, for example said that the decisions would be sent out by Sept 30. The presenter said reviewing begins in September. One interviewer said that we would probably finalize decisions by mid October, while another said the decision process begins first week of Sept

It's a bit different this year so I suppose not everyone is on the same page. Although as for the 8/29 interviewee, since that's the most recent statement I suppose that we'll have to accept that there's a few weeks left

Our admissions person said they will review all early decision apps starting in September and will send out all early decisions most likely around the last week of September.

I interviewed 8/8 and they made it seem like if you chose the "early" one where you hear by September 30 they would immediately review your file and make a decision. This Friday marks 4 weeks for me so I'm not too surprised, since most schools are 4-8 weeks from interview for a decision!

I interviewed 8/8 and they made it seem like if you chose the "early" one where you hear by September 30 they would immediately review your file and make a decision. This Friday marks 4 weeks for me so I'm not too surprised, since most schools are 4-8 weeks from interview for a decision!

Actually most schools get back to you within a week admittedly. Especially this early in the year.

Oh okay. Also disregard everything I said about being patient and waiting a few weeks. I want to know now!

Please be ahead of schedule...

Got an ii last week. Scheduled towards the end of September. It was a surprisingly quick turn around time. I submitted my secondary and received an ii within about 4 days.

Anyone can offer pros and cons of the early decision option? other than the early $1500 deposit you would have to potentially place if accepted.

Would early decision affect the chances of being accepted?

Anyone can offer pros and cons of the early decision option? other than the early $1500 deposit you would have to potentially place if accepted.

Would early decision affect the chances of being accepted?
To recap the thread: it's pretty unclear. On my interview day it seemed like apps wouldn't be reviewed until a later time if you chose the regular, whereas they would be reviewed immediately if you chose early. But, who knows since we don't have decisions yet!

I'm feeling for you guys right now. Waiting 1-2 months is kind of crazy. Hopefully they won't hold you in suspense much longer.

Those all sound like roughly the same answer: Decisions will be mailed out by Sept. 30th, two said they'd start reviewing/deciding in Sept (which fits), and as for the mid-Oct statement, it's possible they mean seats being confirmed by then (i.e. deposits are paid and seats accounted for). If I were you guys, I'd just assume I won't find out until Oct. 2nd or 3rd (2-3 days for mail delivery), but it will likely be sooner.

Last edited:
From what I remember it was confusing because they explained it in terms of when you would have to pay your deposit, not when you would hear!

23 MCAT, 3.25 sGPA, 3.5 cGPA.

Do I have a chance? Is it too late to retake the MCAT for this cycle??
I already applied and have the secondary request.

23 MCAT, 3.25 sGPA, 3.5 cGPA.

Do I have a chance? Is it too late to retake the MCAT for this cycle??
I already applied and have the secondary request.

Chances are low without a MCAT retake. That said, I think you can retake up until Jan, and LECOM interviews through April. LECOM has a decent amount of waitlist movement, so if you retook the MCAT and improved a decent amount, I think it would be worth it (the secondary fee isn't too bad).

Does LECOM have a luggage holding spot? Or did you guys request an extension at the hotel?

In addition to the chaos above, I'll add a final note: I believe the adcom meets only on Wednesdays. See you guys next week to freak out some more.