Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@NextJamesAndrews12 , @MedBlue515

Hey, what are you stats? I was wondering since we all haven't heard back yet. I know there is someone else with a 3.5, 31 MCAT that hasn't heard back yet as well.

Members don't see this ad.

I think they're just getting a lot of apps at once and were over thinking this. And regardless of that being true, it's what I'm going to believe so I don't go insane! lol

No interview love yet from Lecom-E. I wonder if it has something to do with picking seton hill as the preferred campus?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, according to someone who called LECOM-B they placed reviewing apps on hold due to the start of the incoming class. I don't know if LECOM-E would be the same. I would assume so, but I could very well be wrong.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else get the email the app has been received but no secondary?

Anyone else get the email the app has been received but no secondary?

Yep. I called to see if it was from something missing in my application, but I had to leave a voicemail and haven't heard back from them yet.

Yep. I called to see if it was from something missing in my application, but I had to leave a voicemail and haven't heard back from them yet.
I guess they're busy. I think I'll email monday maybe. Let me know how your's goes.

I would just wait and see what happens next week. It seems like it is busy for them right now, and they may be waiting until next week to get things rolling again.

I would just wait and see what happens next week. It seems like it is busy for them right now, and they may be waiting until next week to get things rolling again.
Yeah, the next interview isn't for over a month (or so I've heard on here) so I'm sure they're not going to rush it...What are your stats @Mr. Jones?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, how long does it usually take to go from "under review" to receiving a supplementary. I just received the email literally that they received the application.

Got my secondary today. Primary was verified first week of June and I received LECOM-B secondary 7/6. Think the offices were just busy from incoming class at LECOM maybe?

Just got a secondary today, password and username aren't letting me log in, called office twice and nobody has been picking up... legit

Just got a secondary today, password and username aren't letting me log in, called office twice and nobody has been picking up... legit

I got a secondary today as well and my username and password aren't working either! Glad I'm not the only one.

I sent them a message through their website sooooooo hopefully somebody responds today? Their office is supposed to be open for another 2 hours...

I got a secondary today as well and my username and password aren't working either! Glad I'm not the only one.

Interesting, I can't login using the username and password as well. I applied before to LECOM therefore I had a portal account from before, maybe thats whats causing the problems with logging in? Any one else a reapplicant having trouble logging in?

Just got a secondary today, password and username aren't letting me log in, called office twice and nobody has been picking up...

I just talked to them, whoever got the secondary today won't be able to log-in until Monday, they have a glitch in the system and are working on it

Reactions: 1 users
Secondary received today and submitted today. Ahh, good luck everyone.

Anyone else not receive the email from LECOM-Bradenton in regards to secondary but still see the option to submit a secondary for them? I can see the option for Bradenton secondary in the Admissions tab and can also see LECOM-Bradenton in the Admission Status page. I'm debating just applying for it right now without any email from LECOM-B

Anyone else more of a Self Directed approach learner? My concerns with PBL is that we are reliant on others to get information and thus not able to properly study. Can any students who are in the PBL pathway comment in regards to this? Plus I'm more of the watch lectures online by myself and then take notes, hate wasting time in class, read the book alot and make anki flashcards, pause, understand, unpause, googlestuff, actively teach out loud to the wall, etc type of learner-PBL would be no go ? Honestly the last thing I need is someone taking my hand on how to study and manage time.

Thanks
Edit: after some more research, seems PBL is actually the pathway that would cater to self learning and self disciplined learners who hate wasting time in class. PBL it is!

Anyone else not receive the email from LECOM-Bradenton in regards to secondary but still see the option to submit a secondary for them? I can see the option for Bradenton secondary in the Admissions tab and can also see LECOM-Bradenton in the Admission Status page. I'm debating just applying for it right now without any email from LECOM-B
This was posted near the bottom of the secondary, looks like you can do a seperate secondary for the Bradenton campus even without the email form them ? Not 100% sure....
If you wish to apply to the Bradenton Campus, you must indicate LECOM Bradenton as a choice on your AACOMAS application. You must also complete a separate LECOM Supplemental Application for consideration at the Bradenton Campus.

Last edited:
This was posted near the bottom of the secondary, looks like you can do a seperate secondary for the Bradenton campus even without the email form them ? Not 100% sure....
If you wish to apply to the Bradenton Campus, you must indicate LECOM Bradenton as a choice on your AACOMAS application. You must also complete a separate LECOM Supplemental Application for consideration at the Bradenton Campus.

Yeah I read that and felt that might be too vague. Im probably just going wait till Monday and then call the Bradenton Campus to clear it up.

So I applied back in May and was verified 5/22. I have yet heard back about a secondary. Should I call? I sent them a message on Thursday through their admissions website. Advice?

So I applied back in May and was verified 5/22. I have yet heard back about a secondary. Should I call? I sent them a message on Thursday through their admissions website. Advice?
I'd call! I don't think their office is open on weekends but definitely call first thing Monday!

Interesting, I can't login using the username and password as well. I applied before to LECOM therefore I had a portal account from before, maybe thats whats causing the problems with logging in? Any one else a reapplicant having trouble logging in?
Link is working now, everyone! Hurry up and submit, just sent out mine 7/25 1 hour ago! Let's keep each other posted about next batch of interview invites :D! Good luck everyone!

secondary submitted 7/25 also. Guys, i'm really worried about this cycle. this is my top choice school but my stats are kinda weak. do you think i have a fair shot here?
3.48c/3.40s/27

secondary submitted 7/25 also. Guys, i'm really worried about this cycle. this is my top choice school but my stats are kinda weak. do you think i have a fair shot here?
3.48c/3.40s/27
From what I have found the averages for LECOM-E/SH are 3.48/3.35/27 (2013). I think your stats are fine.

Class of 2019 had a 3.5/3.4/27 average. (Source: interview)
That puts me below their average :(
how much should i be worried? also, does anyone know how many students they've interviewed so far and how many they typically do in a cycle?

That puts me below their average :(
how much should i be worried? also, does anyone know how many students they've interviewed so far and how many they typically do in a cycle?
An average is just an average. There will be 25% below and 25% above. I believe they have had 1 interview group. It's way to early in the game to worry.

3.48c/3.40s/27
I am 3.71c/3.5s/23, so far I received secondaries from Rowan, PCOM and LECOM. Not really sure who screens. What about you?

Really glad LECOM doesn't require a DO letter anymore, although I think I will find out tomorrow or the next coming week if a DO will let me shadow (and the DO is younger, i think it will be easier to relate and ask for a letter in this case). The tuition is great at this school, hoping for an opportunity to visit

I am 3.71c/3.5s/23, so far I received secondaries from Rowan, PCOM and LECOM. Not really sure who screens. What about you?
I'm not really sure which schools screen or at which cutoffs. I've seen varied opinions about it though. So far, secondaries from RVU, PCOM, KCOM, Nova, VCOM, PNWU, and LECOM.

Anyone else more of a Self Directed approach learner? My concerns with PBL is that we are reliant on others to get information and thus not able to properly study. Can any students who are in the PBL pathway comment in regards to this?

It looks like you already answered this question for yourself, but I wanted to chime in.

Once PBL gets going, you spend ~6 hours/week in PBL sessions themselves. Your group assigns reading from various textbooks, and then you're on your own to study that-- not reliant on others to get information in the least. It's up to you to learn it however works for you. Videos and online lectures like you mentioned are great, but don't get distracted but other resources and neglect doing the reading you were supposed to do in the first place.

It looks like you already answered this question for yourself, but I wanted to chime in.

Once PBL gets going, you spend ~6 hours/week in PBL sessions themselves. Your group assigns reading from various textbooks, and then you're on your own to study that-- not reliant on others to get information in the least. It's up to you to learn it however works for you. Videos and online lectures like you mentioned are great, but don't get distracted but other resources and neglect doing the reading you were supposed to do in the first place.

What do you mean the group assigns reading from various textbooks? Does an instructor assign these readings? How do you know what chapters to read?

Are you allowed to switch between lecture and PBL?

Ex: I try PBL the first year and it doesn't work for me so will LECOM allow me to join the lecture based pathway?

Thanks for the added info. I'm assuming your in the PBL pathway. Would you say you get enough time to properly study the material alongside the required readings that you guys are assigned? Do you feel like it properly prepares you for the boards? Thanks!

Ex: I try PBL the first year and it doesn't work for me so will LECOM allow me to join the lecture based pathway?
I remember them saying you can, but it's very difficult especially once the cirriculum is moving.. (source: I interviewed here)

What do you mean the group assigns reading from various textbooks? Does an instructor assign these readings? How do you know what chapters to read?
Here's an example: Your group spends a meeting or two working through a case, and the diagnosis turns out to be diabetes. Your group then assigns reading for the exam that you should learn based on the case-- you might pick a pathology section on diabetes, a physiology chapter on insulin and glucagon, some biochemistry chapters of glucose metabolism, and a pharmacology chapter on the relevant drugs. The reading is supposed to be student assigned, but your facilitator is around to give feedback and suggestions while you choose. Your reading also has to be approved by the exam directors, so faculty do make sure you're picking things that are important and relevant. After a while, it becomes pretty obvious what they're steering you toward, and groups tend to pick pretty concordant readings-- I often end up with the same reading assignments as my friends in other groups, or at least very similar assignments. After first year, I know I've covered the vast majority of our physiology book and biochemistry book, and pretty good chunks of everything else (neuro, pharm, immunology, etc).

Switching pathways is complicated because they're not learning the same things at the same time. I know you can switch in the middle of the first semester when you're done with anatomy; I'm not sure if switching is allowed after that. (I'm not saying it isn't, I honestly don't know).

Thanks for the added info. I'm assuming your in the PBL pathway. Would you say you get enough time to properly study the material alongside the required readings that you guys are assigned? Do you feel like it properly prepares you for the boards? Thanks!

I am in PBL. "Enough time" is a very relative phrase in medical school (I'd always love more time!) but I think I'd have to say yes. That said, the PBL material I'm talking about assigning ("final learning issues") is actually a lot more material than the assigned reading we're given ("common learning issues"). To give you an idea, second semester you're tested on ~700 pages total, or ~85 pages per case plus common learning issues, every 5-6 weeks; it's a bit slower first semester, I don't remember the page count. I'm only just starting OMS-II so I can't speak to the boards yet. However, I'm confident that I've learned A LOT of material in the last year, and that I've developed very solid study skills. They tell us the PBL pathway is great preparation for the boards, and while I don't have firsthand knowledge of that yet I'd tend to believe it. I obviously have zero experience in LDP and the other pathways, so I'm not in a position to compare it to other curricula inside or outside of LECOM.

I have a week before classes start so I'll try to be accessible for questions while I have time; just quote me or tag me so I notice and check this thread.

Edit to add: as an aside for those of you worried about not getting ahold of anyone in the offices last Friday, it was the first years' registration and I'm sure everyone, including IT, was swamped. You'll likely have better luck next week.

Good luck with the application process!

Reactions: 3 users
Here's an example: Your group spends a meeting or two working through a case, and the diagnosis turns out to be diabetes. Your group then assigns reading for the exam that you should learn based on the case-- you might pick a pathology section on diabetes, a physiology chapter on insulin and glucagon, some biochemistry chapters of glucose metabolism, and a pharmacology chapter on the relevant drugs. The reading is supposed to be student assigned, but your facilitator is around to give feedback and suggestions while you choose. Your reading also has to be approved by the exam directors, so faculty do make sure you're picking things that are important and relevant. After a while, it becomes pretty obvious what they're steering you toward, and groups tend to pick pretty concordant readings-- I often end up with the same reading assignments as my friends in other groups, or at least very similar assignments. After first year, I know I've covered the vast majority of our physiology book and biochemistry book, and pretty good chunks of everything else (neuro, pharm, immunology, etc).

Switching pathways is complicated because they're not learning the same things at the same time. I know you can switch in the middle of the first semester when you're done with anatomy; I'm not sure if switching is allowed after that. (I'm not saying it isn't, I honestly don't know).

I am in PBL. "Enough time" is a very relative phrase in medical school (I'd always love more time!) but I think I'd have to say yes. That said, the PBL material I'm talking about assigning ("final learning issues") is actually a lot more material than the assigned reading we're given ("common learning issues"). To give you an idea, second semester you're tested on ~700 pages total, or ~85 pages per case plus common learning issues, every 5-6 weeks; it's a bit slower first semester, I don't remember the page count. I'm only just starting OMS-II so I can't speak to the boards yet. However, I'm confident that I've learned A LOT of material in the last year, and that I've developed very solid study skills. They tell us the PBL pathway is great preparation for the boards, and while I don't have firsthand knowledge of that yet I'd tend to believe it. I obviously have zero experience in LDP and the other pathways, so I'm not in a position to compare it to other curricula inside or outside of LECOM.

I have a week before classes start so I'll try to be accessible for questions while I have time; just quote me or tag me so I notice and check this thread.

Edit to add: as an aside for those of you worried about not getting ahold of anyone in the offices last Friday, it was the first years' registration and I'm sure everyone, including IT, was swamped. You'll likely have better luck next week.

Good luck with the application process!

Thank you. You're a really great salesperson for PBL lol, I'm seriously considering going for it now. What do you believe the effect on your social life is? Being in the same small group (how many people? <10 I would imagine) it seems like you naturally will just meet less people than if you were in a big lecture hall. How do you meet people at school that are outside of your PBL bubble?

Also, do you have any regrets about choosing PBL over the other options? What's the consensus with your classmates, do they like PBL and are they happy with their decision?

Thanks again, you've been super helpful!

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you. You're a really great salesperson for PBL lol, I'm seriously considering going for it now. What do you believe the effect on your social life is? Being in the same small group (how many people? <10 I would imagine) it seems like you naturally will just meet less people than if you were in a big lecture hall. How do you meet people at school that are outside of your PBL bubble?

Also, do you have any regrets about choosing PBL over the other options? What's the consensus with your classmates, do they like PBL and are they happy with their decision?

Thanks again, you've been super helpful!

Great salesperson for PBL: thanks, I guess!

Effect on social life: for me, it's a good thing-- you start school and immediately get to know 7ish people (groups are usually 8 students) really well. For me, it was nice having a pre-built bubble and it was easier to get to know people in a small group setting than it would have been only running into them before and after lecture. I'm still very good friends with some of the people from my first group. However, you're not limited to only knowing your group-- there's club meetings, general social happenings, and lecture in other classes (OPP, early on histology and embryology, and later H&P).

I don't have regrets, but I won't lie and tell you it's always awesome. PBL exams are rough-- 200 questions on 700+ pages of reading isn't super fun. The week leading up to PBL exams isn't super fun either. Sometimes it would be nice to get some clarity from lectures. Having 20+ credits of your GPA hinge on just a few exams can be nerve-wracking. And self-guided anatomy was terrible for me personally. I haven't really asked around, and I know a few people who regret it but the vast majority seem to think they made the right call.