Lincoln Memorial - DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those attending LMU-DCOM next year which school did you choose LMU-DCOM over and why ?

Members don't see this ad.

I really appreciate everyone's input and help! I will keep you all posted!

Reactions: 1 user
While I don't believe we traditionally do emails, there are many times he takes two days to make the calls, especially if he's doing it this late! :)
Do you happen to know when he might make calls today if he wasn't finished?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you happen to know when he might make calls today if he wasn't finished?

We actually have an event today so I have no idea what his schedule is like. Sorry! Don't lose hope :) nothing's final til you get the letter.

This next week is going to suck, waiting to find out next Friday...

Reactions: 1 users
For current DCOM students:

What do you guys do to stay fit/active while in medical school (eg working out/fitting it into schedule)? Does LMU have a campus gym/weights students have access to?

Last edited:

What do you guys do to stay fit/active while in medical school (eg working out/fitting it into schedule)? Does LMU have a campus gym/weights students have access to?

They are having a grand opening for the wellness center tomorrow actually!! 24- hour workouts are all yours when you get your ID. I haven't been there yet, but I've heard it's really nice!

Reactions: 8 users
They are having a grand opening for the wellness center tomorrow actually!! 24- hour workouts are all yours when you get your ID. I haven't been there yet, but I've heard it's really nice!

Does it have a basketball court? That would be amazing. Also indoor soccer

Did everyone from the previous interviews get calls??!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you often have a hankering to go play ball at 3 in the morning or something? :S

Sometimes I can't sleep at night. I always think of what I could be doing with that time. :D but it is nice to clear your head with some shots. I'm sure I'll be under stress

Did everyone from the previous interviews get calls??!!!!

No. I think most accepted do, but at least a couple on here say they didn't get a call, but received an acceptance letter a week later.

No. I think most accepted do, but at least a couple on here say they didn't get a call, but received an acceptance letter a week later.
Just hoping for good news this Friday!! Thanks for the info!

For current students, is a laptop required for school? Like for tests and quizzes and stuff.

there's an indoor basketball gym that is also used for soccer every week. soccer is all dcom students while bball is mixed. it usually based off schedules which usually means its closes around 11. If weather permits, we try to play outdoor soccer. theres a new fitness center which we just barely got access to and a small gym at the Inn which has basic necessities (bench, squat, treadmill, dumbbells, etc ). not sure about the new fitness center but the inn is 24/7. Anyone is more than welcome to message me with any questions you have.

Last edited:
Does anybody have pics of the new fitness center? I tried scoping out decent gyms down there but haven't found too much.

In for more info on the new gym. How many squat racks and flat benches? Any platforms?

The school has been closed this week so I'm not sure about the committee meeting tomorrow ... I hope so! I want to know!!!!

The school has been closed this week so I'm not sure about the committee meeting tomorrow ... I hope so! I want to know!!!!

Thanks for the update. I sent an update email/LOI yesterday and I was wondering why I hadn't gotten a response to it. Now I can stop fretting over it till next week.

When they close school, I assume that means they just post last year's lecture videos for that day and you have to make up the labs at another time?

We got a lot of snow/ice yesterday that has stuck around. Campus has been closed for 2 days now and potentially tomorrow seeing that we expect negative temperatures and more snow tomorrow.

Does anyone know if they already mailed acceptance packets when they call or if I should expect to wait another week for it?

Does anyone know if they already mailed acceptance packets when they call or if I should expect to wait another week for it?
I got my letter two days after I was called. I'm sure yours is already mailed. Congrats on the acceptance.

Excited to start here in the summer. Anyone else from CA?

Okay so I need people's opinion. I just got my MCAT score and am so disappointed. I'm such a terrible test taker and yet I studied so hard for that test. I made a 22. I have a 3.8 sGPA and 3.8 cGPA and tons of EC's and medical field experience. Do I even have a chance here? Should I even bother applying?

Okay so I need people's opinion. I just got my MCAT score and am so disappointed. I'm such a terrible test taker and yet I studied so hard for that test. I made a 22. I have a 3.8 sGPA and 3.8 cGPA and tons of EC's and medical field experience. Do I even have a chance here? Should I even bother applying?
Are you meaning this cycle or next??

Just take the mcat again. But I think you might have a chance, depends. Who knows .

Is it a 7/7/8 breakdown or something wildly unbalanced like a 9/4/9?

Sorry, next cycle
You have time..... Retake the MCAT. The competition is getting tighter every year. You don't wanna chance it. I have a 22 and may have to reapply next cycle just because of my score. I have stellar experiences and 3.65 gpa

Ok, so 22 is a low score. This cycle (2014-2015) is about to end, and most schools have very few spots left, or they interview for waiting list spots. So, i think you meant application for the next cycle (2015-2016). Then, I encourage you to retake the MCAT; otherwise, applying is just going to waste your money and time. You have a very decent GPA and EC's already. The MCAT is the only thing you've struggled with, but you can do it with a good strategy on the test. Make sure you can apply all the concepts quickly and correctly on the MCAT. You studied hard for the test, but also remember to study smart ... It will save you time and energy. Seriously, you have to do well on the MCAT and become a good test taker because there are many many tests waiting for you in medical school. So, keep fighting for your dream and your passion... You'll be where you want to be... Good luck !

Reactions: 8 users
It's 7/7/8 so at least it's balanced
As nice as it is that it's balanced, it means you have to raise all sections a few points. Of course this is all meaningless since the MCAT has changed, and I have no clue what they're looking for now.

It's 7/7/8 so at least it's balanced

If you can just get even 2 points higher (I mean the equivalent on new MCAT), your chances of getting an interview will skyrocket.

Reactions: 2 users
If you can just get even 2 points higher (I mean the equivalent on new MCAT), your chances of getting an interview will skyrocket.
Yeah, I think that's what's so frustrating. I just really don't have an extra $300 laying around for that :(

Yeah, I think that's what's so frustrating. I just really don't have an extra $300 laying around for that :(
You would waste way more money than that from applying and secondaries. It's worth it to get a good score and apply to a smaller pool of schools. But just my opinion. Hands down if you think you can do better. Do it!

Just in case people are waiting, the school has been closed this week so the admission committee didn't meet this week. So hopefully they will soon.

Just in case people are waiting, the school has been closed this week so the admission committee didn't meet this week. So hopefully they will soon.
Thanks for the heads up! No wonder no one was picking up the phone when I called. :p

Thanks for the heads up! No wonder no one was picking up the phone when I called. :p
Robin is replying to emails tho... Burnt I am rooting for you! I am waiting for your II! Keep that head up.

Heres a k-pop band that almost guaranteed will give good luck...

You know its lucky when the title is good luck....

Reactions: 2 users
Getting accepted isn't quite a conveyor belt to success, but what I have heard and seen from working in a teaching facility is that once you pass through the gates into medical school, if you make an effort and keep showing up, you will find your way to becoming an attending somewhere. Some faculty I know have complained that they aren't allowed (by their department chief) to fail students who they feel really deserve it. They give them B grades and pass them along to the next rotation. I've worked with a few residents who I mistook for medical students because they were so clueless. I think the attrition rates once you get into med school are much lower than they probably ought to be. There is a sense that, look, these people are so invested, they have spent so much to get where they are, we don't want to be the ones to put an end to their career.

I started a two year nursing diploma program alongside 85 people. I graduated with 40. That was the typical attrition for that school. They were so proud of failing students out that some professors bragged about how many they could weed out each rotation. The clinical grade for each course was purely subjective, and some instructors would pick out someone in each clinical to fail, even if they had an A in the didactic portion. You could repeat only 1 course. A second failure in any course and you were gone. Only As (>93%) and Bs (84-92) were passing grades. Anything 83% and below was an F. The school was so proud of its 98% pass rate for the first attempt on the nursing licensure exam and the outstanding reputation of the students that it did graduate that it happily ruined the lives of dozens of students each year who weren't as strong. As they say, nurses eat their young.

The way medical students are treated is so very different. The training is more intense, to be sure, but the schools are so much more supportive. If you try hard and ask for help when you are struggling, I get the sense that they will do whatever it takes to keep you from failing.

Guess I am saying, even if the rate really were 10%... that is so much better than what I've gone through before that I would feel pretty safe with that.
Wow, dont know how I missed this post, but your nursing school experience mimics mine. Same kind of stuff, 40% fail, 20% have to repeat at least one semester, and only 40% finished on time. A started at 94, and B- was 82 (Although you were allowed 'one' C+ without repeating. And it is known as a "great" nursing school in the area. Glad I am leaving that behind.

As I look more and more into LMU-DCOM the more I want this interview to go well!
2 weeks and counting!

Reactions: 5 users
General question I cant find: Does DCOM rank the class? If not does the Dean say stuff in the letter that let people know like "so and so was in the upper 3rd" or w/e.