Lincoln Memorial - DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if the tools are required? I really just want to only get a stethoscope.
The only thing from the tool package that you will not use regularly is the panoptic attachment for the odoscope. This attachment is really handy for learning how to perform the examinations and also if you do any of the trips abroad. This is based off what I have heard.

Yeah. I assume that since interviews are don't and the may 15th deadline is a Friday, she is probably enjoying a little well deserved rest before the next headache rolls in on Monday.
Yes. As far as I know she planned a vacation to the beach that week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if the tools are required? I really just want to only get a stethoscope.

Second this. And to top it off, adding $24 for the Littmann III? Seems like a lot of money after a "discount".

Edit: Referring to the $992.44 quoted in the e-mail.

Second this. And to top it off, adding $24 for the Littmann III? Seems like a lot of money after a "discount".

Edit: Referring to the $992.44 quoted in the e-mail.

Stethoscope is 100% required obviously. They have changed the clinical course this year so I can't speak to exactly how it is working for them now, but the other equipment was necessary for learning the skills and then we've barely used them since. I do know of several current first years who bought the equipment online (Amazon, eBay) for much cheaper (about $400 for one person I think).

Stethoscope is 100% required obviously. They have changed the clinical course this year so I can't speak to exactly how it is working for them now, but the other equipment was necessary for learning the skills and then we've barely used them since. I do know of several current first years who bought the equipment online (Amazon, eBay) for much cheaper (about $400 for one person I think).
Are pediatric sizes required of the BP cuff (and seriously do we need our own, I am definitely not paying $300 for a sphygmomanometer)? And do I really need an ophthalmoscope or Otoscope for any class? I mean these things are all over the walls at the hospitals, and I pretty sure they are present in sim labs as well. Do faculty go out of their way to try and 'force' you to buy your own equipment*? - The answer to this question is yes, they do force you. Buy a used kit or just order the one from the school.

If all I am going to be doing is taking a clinical skills class practicing on each other (i.e. adults) then I see no point in the pediatric adapters or unnecessarily fancy equipment. I could make this kit (with a great steph) for around $400 bucks like you said.

* with the obvious exception of a stethoscope which every doctor in the world has. Individual Otoscopes and Ophthaloscopes are almost never necessary except in primary care settings in which case you would buy the whole wall mounted unit with everything.

Last edited:
Are pediatric sizes required of the BP cuff (and seriously do we need our own, I am definitely not paying $300 for a sphygmomanometer)? And do I really need an ophthalmoscope or Otoscope for any class? I mean these things are all over the walls at the hospitals, and I pretty sure they are present in sim labs as well. Do faculty go out of their way to try and 'force' you to buy your own equipment*?

If all I am going to be doing is taking a clinical skills class practicing on each other (i.e. adults) then I see no point in the pediatric adapters or unnecessarily fancy equipment. I could make this kit (with a great steph) for around $400 bucks like you said.

* with the obvious exception of a stethoscope which every doctor in the world has. Individual Otoscopes and Ophthaloscopes are almost never necessary except in primary care settings in which case you would buy the whole wall mounted unit with everything.

If you joined the FB page, a first year could elaborate more on how much they're used no since they revamped the class. I bought the kit, but didn't know any better ;) it also depends on if you plan to do mission trips and foreign things like that where they are useful.

We I had the clinical class, they did come around and check is off on skills. So we did have to have them for that because that class typically takes place in the OPP lab. Granted you don't need every single cuff size and every single adapter. My best advice is to join the 2019 and 2018 FB pages and ask someone who didn't buy the kit what they actually got/used.

Reactions: 1 user
I finally submitted all my certified profile stuff!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got my TB test today, apparently have to get another titer for rubella though.

I had to get a mumps titer redrawn. I submitted it on the 5th, apparently the school still needs to review it. It was 'overdue' on certified profile for a month, couldn't get in for a while. But at least I show positive IgG!

I still need one more polio shot, can't get it for a couple more months though according to my PCM. Also need to submit my insurance, then finally I'll be complete.

Reactions: 1 users
So I guess that may 15th deadline isn't that critical? I just got my final vaccine-polio- yesterday.

So I guess that may 15th deadline isn't that critical? I just got my final vaccine-polio- yesterday.

It's not, especially if you're just waiting in titers and such. If someone has to retake the hep b series, that's about three shots over several months for example and obviously wouldn't be finished by that deadline.

I finally submitted all my certified profile stuff!
I still got to go get a polio shot, scheduled for monday at health dept. It wasn't a requirement last year but will be for us. Gonna throw in Hep A for good measure since I am there.

It's not, especially if you're just waiting in titers and such. If someone has to retake the hep b series, that's about three shots over several months for example and obviously wouldn't be finished by that deadline.
+1, I already called about needing to go over for the polio, they just told me to have it started by orientation.

Can someone please tell me if LMU DCOM requires at least a C in the prereqs? The website does not say no but its a common requirement for some of the other DO schools. I have a D in one of the requirements, should I still apply?

Can someone please tell me if LMU DCOM requires at least a C in the prereqs? The website does not say no but its a common requirement for some of the other DO schools. I have a D in one of the requirements, should I still apply?

I'm pretty sure a C is required to be considered passing

I would retake the D

Yes they require a C

Does anyone know what day you get the kickback from loans after the school takes their cut? Or what day does the school take the payments? A calendar would be helpful :)

Does anyone know what day you get the kickback from loans after the school takes their cut? Or what day does the school take the payments? A calendar would be helpful :)

The first Friday of the first full week of classes (orientation week doesn't count as classes).

Edit: www.lmunet.edu/dcom/academics/calendar.shtml has the genera holidays and stuff if you're interested in that. Hopefully they'll have the detailed schedule out soon.

Last edited:
Do a lot of people take out the max loans? I feel like its hard to estimate right now without actually attending, know what to exactly buy, etc.

Everyones coming in with different backgrounds (past jobs, rich families, undergrad debt etc etc). So what works for one person doesn't always for for everyone. I would advise that you take out the max loan at least for the first year. There's a day at the end of each semester that you can return your excess money without interest. Then if you have plenty left, you know for the future.

I chose to accept max and keep it in savings. For me it's turned out to be best as I had some unexpected expenses. I've heard fourth year is expensive with interviews and audition rotations so I have things saved up and will hopefully be fine. You have to chose what works best for you and your situation.

Others have a lot of help from families and only take out tuition. That works for them.

Reactions: 3 users
The first Friday of the first full week of classes (orientation week doesn't count as classes).

Edit: www.lmunet.edu/dcom/academics/calendar.shtml has the genera holidays and stuff if you're interested in that. Hopefully they'll have the detailed schedule out soon.

Dang...white coat isnt until late September. I was hoping to do it earlier to give me some motivation after being off for a year

C was required for my "conditional" acceptance I dont know if it is required ahead of time. However I would retake a D or below in a basic prereq if I was appling.

So get the kit or not?
If you can splurge then get it. It's in the budget of the school. Or you could buy it on eBay. But def get the cardiology iii. I would say buy it if it won't hurt ya.

Last edited:
C was required for my "conditional" acceptance I dont know if it is required ahead of time. However I would retake a D or below in a basic prereq if I was appling.
Just take it now over the summer

Take it over the summer!!

Hey, I am applying for financial aid on monday. Any idea when I would get money to buy books and a computer?

Hey, I am applying for financial aid on monday. Any idea when I would get money to buy books and a computer?

Don't buy books until you start school. If you think you'll need some, study in a group and share or go to the library. You get your money after the first full week of classes so you can manage there. If you can't manage that, PM me and I'll give you my old Netter atlas to borrow. That's all you'll really need for the first 2 weeks anyway.

As for the comp, my sister loaned me money to buy one and I paid her back when I got mine. I think some places allow you to credit it interest free for 6 mo- 1 year. Ask someone at an electronics store about their credit options. If you have good credit you should be able to just get one and pay it back as soon as you get your loan money. I got denied by the Apple Store credit so I was really grateful my sis had the money up front. If this doesn't work and you have zero options, please PM me. I have an Acer netbook you can borrow for the first week or two until you get your money in!

Last edited:
Im applying here this application cycle. Do you guys think not having a DO letter will be a hindrance? I know they don't require it

Not having one shouldn't diminish your chances at all. I personally didn't have one

Im applying here this application cycle. Do you guys think not having a DO letter will be a hindrance? I know they don't require it

If you're in a small town without a DO it isn't a mark against you. Having one is a mark for you tho. So take that how you will