Lincoln Memorial - DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hopefully they'll send you an email soon!

Members don't see this ad.

If you haven't heard anything in about after 3-4 weeks after being complete, there is nothing wrong with giving them a call to check the status of your application and make sure it was complete. I thought I was complete, gave them a call after a month and found out that my MCAT score had not been sent to them. After I spoke with them they updated my application and extended an interview.

So I emailed them about a week ago and asked if there was any update. They said they were still working on linking my LORs with my application. Has anyone else been given a completed email/II?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I emailed them about a week ago and asked if there was any update. They said they were still working on linking my LORs with my application. Has anyone else been given a completed email/II?

I just received a complete email today at 4 pm and I had my app in the first day. Somehow it ended up in my junk folder email.

@Happy Student can you tell us how your first year was at LMU? And can you speak for any of the 3rd and 4th years and comment on the rotation sites

I just received a complete email today at 4 pm and I had my app in the first day. Somehow it ended up in my junk folder email.

Thanks for the update on that. I just checked my spam folder and found the "primary received" email in there. :smack:

@DrMaximus How are they in general. Are you happy with the the amount of exposure you're getting/ do you feel you are getting the most out of your education. I saw a post by a student who was unpleased with their rotation sites - they said they were extremely rural and they barely saw anything

@Happy Student can you tell us how your first year was at LMU? And can you speak for any of the 3rd and 4th years and comment on the rotation sites

Year one was hard, I wont lie to you. but, it is very doable. You are extremely busy and will be learning more in one test block than you probably did in an entire semester of undergrad... seriously. I had a ton a fun, lots of stress and made many new friends. It was wonderful finally being able to strictly study things that I wanted to study (vs undergrad where you have to take courses you don't care too much about, Botany?). Year one is a lot of science courses (Biochem, Cell bio, Histology, Molecular Bio, Micro, Immuno, Parasitology, Anatomy, etc.) while second year is much more medicine and system based. I really enjoy the learning environment here. The professors all have your goals at interest and will do anything they can to help you succeed. The comradery of the students is uncanny and everyone is here to help everyone. Dispite the occasional hiccups, I have zero complaints at choosing LMU-DCOM. If this doesn't answer your question, or you want more, please ask (with leader questions if possible).

I cannot speak much for the rotation sites as I have not been there yet. But, I will say that many of the 3rd and 4th year students I have spoken too have liked there sites. While there are some who don't like theirs, I would say the great majority do. Footwork is required by you. General consensus is that if you put in the work, you get a lot out of the rotation sites (that includes setting up good rotations on your "off" months). Many of those I have spoken too felt they had plenty of opportunity and saw many things that helped add to their education. At the end of year one, some of the graduating class sits on a panel for many different specialties and answers whatever questions you may have. During this, I attended the generalized meeting (panel of many specialties) and then individual meetings for ER and General Surgery. All of the students were pleased with their rotation sites and the residencies they were able to place in, so opportunity is certainly there to get into competitive residencies.

Reactions: 2 users
As a fellow second year, I'd definitely agree with what @Happy Student said. Also, for those who are skeptical about rotation sites/learning opportunities, LMU-DCOM put about 50% of this past years class into their first choice residency, which we were told ranked third in the nation out of all DO schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Great post thank you very much. And that's great news rangers, thanks for sharing!

Great post thank you very much. And that's great news rangers, thanks for sharing!

Absolutely. Don't hesitate to shoot me a message if you-or anyone else-has any questions (though I might be a little slow in responding, we have an exam tomorrow).

Members don't see this ad :)
@DrMaximus How are they in general. Are you happy with the the amount of exposure you're getting/ do you feel you are getting the most out of your education. I saw a post by a student who was unpleased with their rotation sites - they said they were extremely rural and they barely saw anything

So far, I'm very pleased with my site. I've already seen some interesting cases in the 3 weeks that I've been here. I wouldn't call my site rural, though. It's not a big city, but the population is over 50,000. We do have some very rural sites, but I don't know how good or bad most of them are. My rotation next month is in a smaller hospital, but I've heard good things about it.

For those of you worried about rotation sites, I was worried as well and have definitely had a touch and go experience...but overall I think I learned what I was supposed to learn during rotations. I am a 4th year now doing sub-internship rotations (basically month long "auditions" for residency), and I have gotten really good feedback. I have rotated with other DO students, Caribbean MD students, and US MD students, and our experiences have been very similar. I have also gotten very good feedback about my knowledge, skill set, and work ethic. You may not get to see the pathology that some people get to see at the larger academic type places, but I have also realized that you get to actually do very little in those settings where there is an attending, a senior resident, and an intern all in line before you. As long as you continue to look things up and read in your off time, going to a smaller place for rotations won't hurt you. However, I do recommend asking attendings if you can present patients (and actually attempt to come up with a plan) because that will be how you are evaluated 4th year and intern year and if you have never done it it is a little scary the first couple times. If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to try and answer.

For those of you worried about rotation sites, I was worried as well and have definitely had a touch and go experience...but overall I think I learned what I was supposed to learn during rotations. I am a 4th year now doing sub-internship rotations (basically month long "auditions" for residency), and I have gotten really good feedback. I have rotated with other DO students, Caribbean MD students, and US MD students, and our experiences have been very similar. I have also gotten very good feedback about my knowledge, skill set, and work ethic. You may not get to see the pathology that some people get to see at the larger academic type places, but I have also realized that you get to actually do very little in those settings where there is an attending, a senior resident, and an intern all in line before you. As long as you continue to look things up and read in your off time, going to a smaller place for rotations won't hurt you. However, I do recommend asking attendings if you can present patients (and actually attempt to come up with a plan) because that will be how you are evaluated 4th year and intern year and if you have never done it it is a little scary the first couple times. If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to try and answer.

Thank you for this information!

Oh, to be fair though. There is definitely a large amount of annoying stuff to deal with in terms of setting up your own rotations. DCOM is nice because you have a lot of control over your schedule 3rd and 4th years. However, in exchange for that, you end up spending a lot of time emailing, calling, and/or begging places to take you and sometimes it works out well (you get a rotation you really want in a place you really want it and you learn an awesome amount) and sometimes you don't (you are standing in a corner shadowing and bored out of your mind). There are a lot more opportunities in certain areas...basically where other students have been multiple times. This tends to be in and around TN for obvious reasons. If you want to go somewhere new it takes a bit of leg work, and there isn't much school involvement past "where are you going for this rotation and what is their contact info". It definitely isn't the best system in the world, but it also isn't the worst. I know it doesn't mean a lot to you guys now, but the best part of our clinical rotation schedule is that 4th year we have something like 7 electives. We are allowed to do 6 rotations in any 1 specialty. This means that during the fall of your 4th year you can do 6 away rotations (basically a requirement for the a lot of the DO residencies and definitely help for the MD residencies in terms of getting your name out there...if you are good). This is a lot more than most schools get, and absolutely an advantage when it comes to applying for residency.

If it makes anyone feel good, our schedule says that the first interviews start September 12th. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Complete email today- submitted the secondary on 7/16/14

Received a phone call to schedule an interview today! But of course by the time I got off work and was able to call, nobody answered :(

Received a phone call to schedule an interview today! But of course by the time I got off work and was able to call, nobody answered :(

Congrats on the II. I am on hold at the moment.

Congrats! When did you receive the complete email?

Probably a small percentage. Maybe 1-3%. But honestly I have no idea. Adcoms do a good job of picking med students, and passing is not an impossible feat. Sometimes stuff happens, but don't worry so much that it overwhelms you, just worry enough that it motivates you to study hard.

Oh, to be fair though. There is definitely a large amount of annoying stuff to deal with in terms of setting up your own rotations. DCOM is nice because you have a lot of control over your schedule 3rd and 4th years. However, in exchange for that, you end up spending a lot of time emailing, calling, and/or begging places to take you and sometimes it works out well (you get a rotation you really want in a place you really want it and you learn an awesome amount) and sometimes you don't (you are standing in a corner shadowing and bored out of your mind). There are a lot more opportunities in certain areas...basically where other students have been multiple times. This tends to be in and around TN for obvious reasons. If you want to go somewhere new it takes a bit of leg work, and there isn't much school involvement past "where are you going for this rotation and what is their contact info". It definitely isn't the best system in the world, but it also isn't the worst. I know it doesn't mean a lot to you guys now, but the best part of our clinical rotation schedule is that 4th year we have something like 7 electives. We are allowed to do 6 rotations in any 1 specialty. This means that during the fall of your 4th year you can do 6 away rotations (basically a requirement for the a lot of the DO residencies and definitely help for the MD residencies in terms of getting your name out there...if you are good). This is a lot more than most schools get, and absolutely an advantage when it comes to applying for residency.

Are there any sites that you would recommend in particular? Any that you have consistently heard to stay away from?

Kingsport is generally known to be the "best" one. We have been sending students there a long time. Honestly I haven't heard bad things about any of the sites though. There are definitely some more rural ones, but it seems like the people that rank those first really want to go to the rural places. There are advantages and disadvantages to both types of training though like I said. I would venture to say that all of the cores are going to have good and bad rotations and good and bad preceptors, so it is really hard to say one place is better than the others. I had really good preceptors where I was, and I guess I got "lucky" because some other of my classmates there say they had a very different experience and I think it is going to be like that everywhere. I also think it depends on your personality...I went in with the mentality that I was going to try and focus on the good stuff and just try and learn. Others tended to focus on the bad stuff. I think that difference in perspective is where a lot of the complaints come from.

Kingsport is generally known to be the "best" one. We have been sending students there a long time. Honestly I haven't heard bad things about any of the sites though. There are definitely some more rural ones, but it seems like the people that rank those first really want to go to the rural places. There are advantages and disadvantages to both types of training though like I said. I would venture to say that all of the cores are going to have good and bad rotations and good and bad preceptors, so it is really hard to say one place is better than the others. I had really good preceptors where I was, and I guess I got "lucky" because some other of my classmates there say they had a very different experience and I think it is going to be like that everywhere. I also think it depends on your personality...I went in with the mentality that I was going to try and focus on the good stuff and just try and learn. Others tended to focus on the bad stuff. I think that difference in perspective is where a lot of the complaints come from.

I agree with MiaMia14. Medical School has a tendency to drain the good out of some people. I have noticed a handful of students that have become highly pessimistic regarding everything. Because of this, those people go out and have a horrible time in rotations because they pick apart every hiccup that occurs. My recommendation, where ever you get accepted, be cautious on picking apart things and criticizing, it is a slippery slope and will make you bitter quickly. This is what has happened to a few students I know here. They pick apart everything and now hate medicine and are miserable. Have an optimistic attitude throughout the process, toward the hiccups and look for the positives, and residencies will want you because they want that optimism at their hospital.

I submitted 7/15 and never got a complete email. Perhaps it's time to make sure they got everything!

I submitted 7/15 and never got a complete email. Perhaps it's time to make sure they got everything!

fwiw... i thought i had submitted all of my material back in early aug.. it turned out was completed last friday (and they do send out an email).. it seems to take a long time for them to get all of your material together... :(

Question for students in their 3rd/4th year:

Do you get a vacation month 3rd year? Have you heard of people moving their vacation month to third year for personal reasons? Is there a 1-2 week gap at any point during 3rd year where you don't have rotations scheduled?

Interview Invite today! IS, cGPA 3.6, sGPA 3.5, 33 MCAT, Complete 8/15, Scheduled for 9/15. One of my top choices! So excited!

Last edited:
II! woohooo!

Last edited:
I'm actually an underdog story so I'm actually surprised I've gotten this many interviews. My cGPA is 3.22 sGPA 3.45 MCAT 26(6,10,10). It might be helpful to add that while I do not live in an Appalachian area I am a third generation Appalachian.

Do you get a vacation month 3rd year? Have you heard of people moving their vacation month to third year for personal reasons? Is there a 1-2 week gap at any point during 3rd year where you don't have rotations scheduled?

The only "break" you get 3rd year is before you start. Basically you are supposed to take level 1 of COMLEX usually around the middle of June, and rotations don't start until the end of July. Other than that you basically don't get anything...no holidays, no nothing unless your preceptor lets you (I never had a problem taking some time for holidays and things, but just be forewarned there isn't any time built into the year). There is 1 month 4th year that can be used whenever. A lot of students use that month to get on and off our schedule to do audition rotations that are on another schedule. Others save it for the last month so they get a longer break before residency. Depending on when you need the time during 3rd year you could just take it for the first month of 4th year which is July? I haven't heard of anyone using their vacation month for personal reasons other than failing boards and not being able to start rotations on time...but I'm sure it's not something people talk about. If your personal reason is something like getting married I doubt they will accommodate you because you should be able to plan that around rotations, but if something comes up that can't be helped I'm sure something could be worked out.

Does anyone have an idea of the averages at LMU for science GPA and MCAT?

This is just the strangest thing. I just received a complete e-mail after submitting everything back in June. I wonder if my application was somehow overlooked, forgotten or they just aren't that impressed with me.

This is just the strangest thing. I just received a complete e-mail after submitting everything back in June. I wonder if my application was somehow overlooked, forgotten or they just aren't that impressed with me.
I called yesterday and they let me know that everything was complete on 8/16, but I never got an email. Very, very nice staff in admissions!

First year checking in.

ENJOY YOUR LAST TASTE OF FREEDOM. Just kidding. Kind of. I'm on the other side of the transition, and things seem to be going well. Just finished our second test, and Happy Student hit the nail on the head. The amount of material you cover in one block is ridiculous. But now I'm hitting my groove, and things seem manageable. Test weeks can be awful, though. Par for the course.

This is definitely a great school, full of great people. I've loved everything so far, especially EPC (essentials of patient care). We had group EPC today and had two case studies where we took the history and physical of a patient and worked our way to the correct diagnosis. I'm a month in and truly feel that I'm already being trained to be a physician.

Good luck everyone!

Not a 3rd/4th year, but if memory serves the current policy is that the vacation month is slotted first. They also have a deadline to take step 1 (~june 15th). I'm not a fan of that policy, and maybe...just maybe it will be altered when I get there next year. One can hope. A good friend of mine at a state MD school took step 1 on a Thursday and started rotations on the following monday. Not the case at LMU.

I just got my MCAT score (retake) back today. It is better - 10/6/10 (ps/vr/bs). As I asked earlier in this thread for my chance at this school, do you think I have better chance here now? because the 6 in verbal still makes me disappointed, and obviously it is not balanced.
sGPA 3.3, cGPA 3.47. Thousands of hours of EC (healthcare related, social service, community service, etc.), disadvantaged background. Strong committee LoR and MD LoR. Anyone or @Happy Student can give some feedback to help me.

And btw, my aacomas application has been verified and released to this school with the lower mcat score. Actually my application to DCOM is complete; so, do you know how to update the newer mcat score? Do i have to specifically contact the school to update? Any advice is very much appreciated !