Lincoln Memorial DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you ipseama!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Just got a "secondary received" email about 10 minutes ago...
Now if only AACOMAS would verify my primary! I submitted over a month ago but was waiting on one transcript to get in.

Hopefully we start hearing back in the next couple of weeks. Does anyone know in previous years how long after primary/secondaries were received that ii's started going out?

Just got a "secondary received" email about 10 minutes ago...
Now if only AACOMAS would verify my primary! I submitted over a month ago but was waiting on one transcript to get in.

Hopefully we start hearing back in the next couple of weeks. Does anyone know in previous years how long after primary/secondaries were received that ii's started going out?

Oh, we can do secondaries before the primary?

Did you have an MCAT score when you submitted?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just did LMU's since we don't have to wait for it to be sent to us. I think they are the only school that just has their secondary on their website.

Yes, I had my MCAT score. I took it in January.

I figured I'd get it out of the way!

Do you happen to know much about average incoming stats lately? This school is my number one choice but I'm a little concerned about a low GPA.

I have a 3.39/3.1 GPA/sGPA with C's in Orgo II and biochem. I just got my MCAT scores back, and received a 507 (~=30). Strong ECs (I think!)

I've lived my whole life in TN and this seems like a great school. Thanks!

I do think that MCAT tends to matter more in terms of GPA vs MCAT score. That being said, I think as long as one is good, they take a serious look at you. If you got a ~30, you should be okay.

Also, that new MCAT scoring system throws me off hardcore... It sounds like a COMLEX score and I get confused. Med school problems...

Reactions: 1 user
Got this email today:
Thank you for your interest Lincoln Memorial University-DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine (LMU-DCOM). We have received your supplemental application, and you will be contacted if selected for an interview.

Reactions: 5 users
For the "Letters of Reference" section under the essays, do I need to fill those out if I am submitting my committee packet through AACOMAS app service? It doesn't ask for an email address for each, so I am assuming it is so they know what letters to expect?

I do think that MCAT tends to matter more in terms of GPA vs MCAT score. That being said, I think as long as one is good, they take a serious look at you. If you got a ~30, you should be okay.

Also, that new MCAT scoring system throws me off hardcore... It sounds like a COMLEX score and I get confused. Med school problems...
This. I was on the lower end of the GPA spectrum, 3.2, but had a 30 on the MCAT.

wow just came here to see if anyone got secondaries yet and saw that they don't send you an email. oops
are there any other schools that don't send you emails?

For "date requested" for the LOR...do we put when we received the LOR/when it was written. Or do we put when AACOMAS put it online?
someone please advise

anyone know if we should send the lor through interfolio even though they were sent with aacomas? Kinda just want to be sure they get it.

For "date requested" for the LOR...do we put when we received the LOR/when it was written. Or do we put when AACOMAS put it online?
Just emailed. guy said
" It is asking you for the date you requested your LOR from each person/committee."

Members don't see this ad :)
Will be attending in a few months. Think quality over quantity. You don't want them to have to read an short novel. Keep it on topic and lengthy enough to say everything you need
for the question
"In your own life, what experiences and/or people have inspired you to become an osteopathic physician and what personal qualities do you possess that will help you become a successful osteopathic physician?"

ACOM asks that question above as 2 separate questions for a limit of 500 words each. fair to say it's overkill if i just copy and paste my responses to ACOM for LMU

darn it

for the question
"In your own life, what experiences and/or people have inspired you to become an osteopathic physician and what personal qualities do you possess that will help you become a successful osteopathic physician?"

ACOM asks that question above as 2 separate questions for a limit of 500 words each. fair to say it's overkill if i just copy and paste my responses to ACOM for LMU

darn it
It's the damn AACOMAS personal statement prompt! Why can't I just copy and paste my personal statement, WHY!?!

is there not a "no" buttom in the Statement of Past or Pending Disciplinary Action page.

all i see is a yes with a red *

Hey, so does anyone know how this school matches our secondaries to our primary apps? I just submitted the secondary, and I don't remember there being any place to put my AACOMAS ID in. Thoughts?
Did they not assign you a number when they gave you your secondary notification? In order to log in?

Do they ever send a "primary received" email, or do we push on through and submit the secondary before any notice?

Do they ever send a "primary received" email, or do we push on through and submit the secondary before any notice?

i don't think they do. i haven't and based on last year's thread, i don't think they do.

does anyone know when we'll hear back? i got supplemental received email on july 1st.

does anyone know when we'll hear back? i got supplemental received email on july 1st.

Reading the curriculum calendar, it looks like the first interview date is set for August 21st. So I'd imagine that they'd start sending interview invites out in a few more weeks. Our orientation starts on the 28th so I'd guess that the admission committee will focus on the new batch of folks around that time.

anyone know if we should send the lor through interfolio even though they were sent with aacomas? Kinda just want to be sure they get it.
I had my letters submitted to interfolio and AACOM denied them. AMCAS took them, but AACOM required me to submit them through their application only. It was ...really frustrating.

Hey guys, how long the "short "essays should be? My first one is around 650 and second one 450. I am afraid that's way too long and they wont read it.

I would write your essays so that they are to the point and share with the reader more about you, without being over embellished. Having 6000+ applications to read a year can get very tiring; reading someones secondary answers to essays that drag on, risk the possibility of being rejected. Be short, sweet and to the point with a dash of you, if that makes sense. 650 may be a bit too much, unless the information is highly captivating and important to the point. 450 is much better. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Wooo just submitted the secondary, my first of the cycle!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm about to submit my secondary and I just wanted to double check: is there no secondary fee? Or am I just missing something blatantly obvious?

I'm about to submit my secondary and I just wanted to double check: is there no secondary fee? Or am I just missing something blatantly obvious?
i thought you had to pay during the last 'step' of the application but i cant remember! I opened my finished app (I subbed a few weeks ago already) and it doesnt say anywhere that I paid however I got an email saying my app is complete. Now I'm all paranoid that I didnt pay because I cant find anywhere confirming I did.

the CIB says there is a $50 fee, but I can't find a page to submit payment, just a page to sign and verify the secondary...maybe I just haven't gone in far enough or something, we'll see. Sorry to cause any paranoia!

You have to get allll the way to the end, past everything and pat submit, and it makes you pay. Don't worry, they want our money ;)

Just submitted the secondary! Would love to go here, I've been a huge Tennessee Titans fan for years. Not to mention the music scene

Last edited:
I am a third year at DCOM. I am a firm believer in giving back, especially when I received. It seemed like yesterday I was in your shoes. If anyone has questions, concerns or just want to know what day to day life as a med student is like, you are welcome to PM me. Also, if you are uncertain on what to do, or how to write your PS, I am more than happy to help, critique and review Personal Statements, time permitting. Good luck with the applications!

I am a third year at DCOM. I am a firm believer in giving back, especially when I received. It seemed like yesterday I was in your shoes. If anyone has questions, concerns or just want to know what day to day life as a med student is like, you are welcome to PM me. Also, if you are uncertain on what to do, or how to write your PS, I am more than happy to help, critique and review Personal Statements, time permitting. Good luck with the applications!
how are rotations there? I hear mixed things.

Hey HappyStudent,

I was wondering if you know how DCOM will take the new MCAT test into consideration. Looking from previous threads, they seem to be OK with anything around the 24 and up range which would be the 498 range, but from what a lot of the other DO schools I have talked to, don't bother applying with out a 500, the equivalent of a 25. Were there people in your class with 23-25?

So I submitted a secondary on 7/1/15 but I just received an email to fill one out again..did anyone else receive this as well?

So I submitted a secondary on 7/1/15 but I just received an email to fill one out again..did anyone else receive this as well?
No, but I just received a primary received e-mail today telling me to submit the secondary if I had not done so already-which I did several weeks ago.

I did aswell. I submitted the secondary a long time ago

how are rotations there? I hear mixed things.

So far, rotations have been great. No matter where you go, you will have a rotation that is not to your level of desire, however, it is not the preceptors responsibility to spoon feed you. If you are the type of person to require spoon feeding, you will need to work on this. There are some sites that are more desired than others, mainly due to the location. Kingsport is a very popular site, Franklin has become one too, but is new and will need pioneering. There are many great sites here, and the school is working hard to get more. Truthfully, every site has its differences, and that is what makes the school great with everyone's various preferences. For example, Norton is a fantastic site and has many great physicians, however, it is more rural, therefore if you want rural with great preceptors, it is a great site. Whereas others may want more urban and choose to aim for that type of site. Attitude is your biggest asset when it comes to rotations, having a good one is key.

Hey HappyStudent,

I was wondering if you know how DCOM will take the new MCAT test into consideration. Looking from previous threads, they seem to be OK with anything around the 24 and up range which would be the 498 range, but from what a lot of the other DO schools I have talked to, don't bother applying with out a 500, the equivalent of a 25. Were there people in your class with 23-25?

I have heard of students being accepted with a 19, and some student rejected with a 34. MCAT is not everything. Sell yourself with your personal statement and essay answers, and they can look past a MCAT glitch. However, do keep in mind that Medicine becomes more competitive every year and naturally, schools will increase their "desired" scores and EC's. You should be fine though. Your personal statement is your best chance of countering a poor performance on MCAT.

PS: a Poor MCAT does not mean you will do poor in medical school and on boards. Personally, I feel it is a poor predictor of how you will do. SO, if you did poor on the MCAT, and get into a medical school, take the fresh start as an opportunity to show your MCAT score was worthless. Use that as your motivation if you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
On the secondary, they ask for 3 letter writer, but on AACOMAS, we can have up to 6. Do you know if they look at more than 3?

So far, rotations have been great. No matter where you go, you will have a rotation that is not to your level of desire, however, it is not the preceptors responsibility to spoon feed you. If you are the type of person to require spoon feeding, you will need to work on this. There are some sites that are more desired than others, mainly due to the location. Kingsport is a very popular site, Franklin has become one too, but is new and will need pioneering. There are many great sites here, and the school is working hard to get more. Truthfully, every site has its differences, and that is what makes the school great with everyone's various preferences. For example, Norton is a fantastic site and has many great physicians, however, it is more rural, therefore if you want rural with great preceptors, it is a great site. Whereas others may want more urban and choose to aim for that type of site. Attitude is your biggest asset when it comes to rotations, having a good one is key.

I have heard of students being accepted with a 19, and some student rejected with a 34. MCAT is not everything. Sell yourself with your personal statement and essay answers, and they can look past a MCAT glitch. However, do keep in mind that Medicine becomes more competitive every year and naturally, schools will increase their "desired" scores and EC's. You should be fine though. Your personal statement is your best chance of countering a poor performance on MCAT.

PS: a Poor MCAT does not mean you will do poor in medical school and on boards. Personally, I feel it is a poor predictor of how you will do. SO, if you did poor on the MCAT, and get into a medical school, take the fresh start as an opportunity to show your MCAT score was worthless. Use that as your motivation if you want.

For those who have handed in their secondaries, do you guys have your Anticipated Entry Term as "Fall 2015 College of Medicine" instead of 2016... or did I just make a mistake?!

For those who have handed in their secondaries, do you guys have your Anticipated Entry Term as "Fall 2015 College of Medicine" instead of 2016... or did I just make a mistake?!

Fall 2016 was the only option for me

Fall 2016 was the only option for me
ya it was for me too when I first started the app.. but after handing it in, I logged back in and at the top it said 2015 instead of 2016... so I just wanted to know if others who have handed in their secondary had the same thing