Lincoln Memorial DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know when DCOM's class tends to fill up? Also are there any current students willing to answer questions I have about the school via PM?

Members don't see this ad.

About how long after did you guys get an II after your complete email? I'm currently at day 25.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know when DCOM's class tends to fill up? Also are there any current students willing to answer questions I have about the school via PM?

DCOM fills up slow. They don't rush to fill the class up.

DCOM fills up slow. They don't rush to fill the class up.
How does this work? Will they fill all 225 seats first and then fill then next 225 on an alternative list? Or will they put some people on the alternative list even before the enrolled seats are unfilled?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using SDN mobile

Last edited:
How does this work? Will they fill all 225 seats first and then fill then next 225 on an alternative list? Or will they put some people on the alternative list even before the enrolled seats are unfilled?

Every school accepts 1.5-2x the students that attend because most will go to their places.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

From each interview, they will accept, wait list and reject applicants. Repeat until school starts. No school will accept their whole class right now because that just shoots themselves in the foot regarding applicants.

Hey guys, so how do you know the requirements for this school?!

From each interview, they will accept, wait list and reject applicants. Repeat until school starts. No school will accept their whole class right now because that just shoots themselves in the foot regarding applicants.

They have an acceptance rate of like 75% if you interview, so I doubt they reject/waitlist too many

Members don't see this ad :)
They have an acceptance rate of like 75% if you interview, so I doubt they reject/waitlist too many

You'd be surprised. The wait list is usually between 50-100 people, which they always pull from at the end of the cycle just to fill the class. DCOM's cycle is long and slow.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

How long does it take to hear back after an interview?

Sitting in the Cumberland Gap right now... Good luck to anyone else interviewing tomorrow!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Any advice my friend?
1st year here. It is relaxed interview, just sit back and enjoy. Stack up on food in the cafeteria since it will be free! Hope you are liking the area and campus if you visited earlier. Good luck with your interview!

Thanks!!! I will definitely need coffee in the morning...

Any advice my friend?

Don't freak out, it's super laid back and relaxed. If they want to interview you, they think you can handle it academically, so don't worry about that (I was legit told that by the assistant dean, 2 different med students, and a couple admissions faculty). Just have well thought out answers to the why Medicine, why DO, why LMU, and tell me about yourself questions. They want to make sure you've really thought about this career and that you are a real person and not some autistic robot lol

You'll enjoy it.

Oh and be super nice to the admissions faculty and the shuttle driver! They are all very nice and I think they may have had some impact on the decisions.

1st year here. It is relaxed interview, just sit back and enjoy. Stack up on food in the cafeteria since it will be free! Hope you are liking the area and campus if you visited earlier. Good luck with your interview!

Lol the Lincoln room was the best part of the tour

just withdrew my II from here after a super fierce internal struggle.
hope it goes to one of you guys! :nod:

All the best to those who will be interviewing here. I interviewed here last week and loved the school! The interview is closed file, which means the interviewers only know your name. The faculty really just wants to sit down with you and to learn more about your personality. Be honest with them and be yourself; and do not be afraid to take a pause to gather your thoughts before answering their questions. My interview took about 40 minutes and it felt short because of the fact that it was very conversational. Feel free to ask the interviewers questions as well.

I suggest attending the meet and greet the night before because you get a chance to meet the second year students so that you can learn more about the school. Also, if you have free time, visit the campus the day before your interview so that you know where to go and what to expect. Regarding admission decision, the faculty meets on Wednesday and the Dean will make calls either Saturday or Sunday; acceptance email will be sent on the following Monday. I hope this information helps :)

Reactions: 1 users
Out of curiosity. How do you figure they have a 75% acceptance rate?

DCOM just published an info sheet that outlines all their stats. 75% is correct but remember some of that is from those who were interviewed then accepted off the wait list. You can find the info sheet on their FaceBook page.

I just realized that I never got the Completion email, only the Thank you for submitting one right after I submitted my Secondary.. Thoughts?

DCOM just published an info sheet that outlines all their stats. 75% is correct but remember some of that is from those who were interviewed then accepted off the wait list. You can find the info sheet on their FaceBook page.

So yeah, they receive 5129 applications, interview 604 candidates, accept 460.

That gives a total acceptance rate of 9%. About 4.5% of total applicants actually attend DCOM.

But why???

I recently received some acceptances and additional interviews, so unfortunately have to pick and choose due to limited funds!

LMU seems like an awesome program, and I was really sad in declining the chance to interview here.

Just added this school on AACOMAS and received secondary this morning. Hopefully I didn't come into the race too late :(

Reactions: 3 users
Just added this school on AACOMAS and received secondary this morning. Hopefully I didn't come into the race too late :(
you should be fine. It seems like they have only sent out one batch of IIs so far!

I have decided that I am going to attend LMU. I'm looking for another student to rent a house with near the school. If anyone is interested, PM me.

So yeah, they receive 5129 applications, interview 604 candidates, accept 460.

That gives a total acceptance rate of 9%. About 4.5% of total applicants actually attend DCOM.

That's applicants to acceptance, right? Their quoted rate is interviewed to acceptance. Dean Kessler wants higher stats so I'm sure it will become more competitive in the future.

For people who have already interviewed, would it be appropriate to bring my girlfriend to interview day? The II email said that significant others and parents are welcome and I would like for her to get an idea of the school.

For people who have already interviewed, would it be appropriate to bring my girlfriend to interview day? The II email said that significant others and parents are welcome and I would like for her to get an idea of the school.

Don't, it was weird when they did it at my interview. It makes you look dependent on that person. Albeit most of the people brought their moms, but still it's better safe than sorry

Don't, it was weird when they did it at my interview. It makes you look dependent on that person. Albeit most of the people brought their moms, but still it's better safe than sorry

Thanks for the response! Are you pretty much with the person the whole day if you chose to bring them or do they wait in a separate room while we interview?

That's applicants to acceptance, right? Their quoted rate is interviewed to acceptance. Dean Kessler wants higher stats so I'm sure it will become more competitive in the future.

Yes, 5129 applicants, 604 interviews, 460 acceptances.

And I think it's a good thing that Dr. Kessler wants to make DCOM more competitive. I won't see the effects, but it would be nice for people to stop sh*tting on DCOM on SDN because it's in a rural area and doesn't have rotations at a 1000 bed hospital. Most of their rotations sites are in TN and growing up in TN, most of the hospitals are 100-200 beds max (excluding hospitals in Memphis, Nashville, of Knoxville). Plus the schools mission is rural medicine, so don't get all bent out of shape when you don't do rotations at UCLA.

Thanks for the response! Are you pretty much with the person the whole day if you chose to bring them or do they wait in a separate room while we interview?

They wait in the holding area with other applicants, but tag along the whole day.

How long has it been between secondary submitted to II's for people?

Another perspective - if a school emphasizes that you can bring SO & families, then do it if you'd like. LMU is BIG on family. When I interviewed, we had two parents there and I didn't think it was awkward or weird at all. They were incredibly nice and my only thought was, "Damn, I wish my parents would have driven with me, that drive was ****!" You will probably be focused on the interview before and after it, so it might be helpful if your girlfriend is there for a clear mind during the financial aid presentation.

Reactions: 1 users