LMU-DCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got the call from Dr. Stowers! Holy moly that is fast...I was only there 2 days ago. I love the personal touch with a phone call. Congrats and good luck to everyone else!

Alright!! That's awesome that turn around is so fast for you guys!! I'm excited for you! :D:D

Got the call! Good luck to everyone!

Well I guess now you don't have to worry over fall break!! Now you and I can both enjoy our break! Congrats!! :cool:

Got the call today too! Interviewed on Tuesday! Phew

accepted...got the call today

Congratulations to both of you!! :thumbup:

No call here :( . I'm really worried now... I felt like the interview went great

Don't give up yet, DJack. He doesn't always make all the calls in one day. It's not over yet! Keep your head up.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't give up yet, DJack. He doesn't always make all the calls in one day. It's not over yet! Keep your head up.

I appreciate the kind words. However, it does sound like he made all the calls today. People who interviewed on Tuesday and Wednesday both said they got calls. I interviewed on Tuesday, so I assume I would have been grouped with the Tuesday calls if I had been accepted. It's not over until I get the letter, but it sounds like there is a very strong chance I got waitlisted or rejected.

I appreciate the kind words. However, it does sound like he made all the calls today. People who interviewed on Tuesday and Wednesday both said they got calls. I interviewed on Tuesday, so I assume I would have been grouped with the Tuesday calls if I had been accepted. It's not over until I get the letter, but it sounds like there is a very strong chance I got waitlisted or rejected.

Sending good vibes your way and hoping for the best! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)

Hoping you get in bro

Ugh, I'm pulling for you too. I did see in last years thread where he made calls to some but not to others and they still got an acceptance letter. Hopefully that is the case in your situation. I've definitely got my fingers crossed for you.

To all those who got the (very quick!) turn around call...congrats!!! I'm glad you guys didn't have to suffer the unknown for too long. :thumbup:

Good luck man. Keep hope alive

To the people who have received an interview invitation, did you complete all your prerequisites before they invited you to the interview?

To the people who have received an interview invitation, did you complete all your prerequisites before they invited you to the interview?

No. I was invited for interview/accepted without finishing all of my prereqs yet. They just have to all be finished before you matriculate.

No. I was invited for interview/accepted without finishing all of my prereqs yet. They just have to all be finished before you matriculate.

I'm curious for the younger people in our pre-med club, what did you not have when it came time for your MCAT?

Yeah, got accepted yesterday too but forgot to post. Interviewed Tuesday...pretty awesome to hear so quickly...really minimized the stress. At least I'm in one school, which will help relax me for future interviews. Praying for you guys.

I'm curious for the younger people in our pre-med club, what did you not have when it came time for your MCAT?

I didn't have either semester of phyics or Orgo lab II. A smarter person would have waited until I graduated to really study for the exam (after having all the prereqs), so I could actually study. I fit all of my self-studying in between full time school/45-50 hrs per week of work, so there wasn't much of it. My VB was a 10, so it's obvious I just needed more time to sit with the BS/PS material. I didn't want to wait a whole extra year though, so that was my decision. It definitely does make it harder though (not having the prereqs, that is. I don't suggest it). Taking physics now, I'm like..."Oh, is that how it works? That would have been nice to know for the MCAT..." lol.

I had just finished organic and physics the semester before the summer that I started studying. It did help a little but my physics professors sucked and my lack of anatomy 2 as well as genetics hurt me...

Still. PS was definitely my weakest.

I didn't have either semester of phyics or Orgo lab II. A smarter person would have waited until I graduated to really study for the exam (after having all the prereqs), so I could actually study. I fit all of my self-studying in between full time school/45-50 hrs per week of work, so there wasn't much of it. My VB was a 10, so it's obvious I just needed more time to sit with the BS/PS material. I didn't want to wait a whole extra year though, so that was my decision. It definitely does make it harder though (not having the prereqs, that is. I don't suggest it). Taking physics now, I'm like..."Oh, is that how it works? That would have been nice to know for the MCAT..." lol.

Thanks, I needed a "blurb" to show people when they approach me with this. Several times over the last two years people have came to me wanting to know if they can take the MCAT without having Physics / Organic. I always tell them, "Sure, you CAN take it without any of the prereqs, but...."

Sounds like we were in similar boats. I had finished the prereqs but my study time got decimated by a house flood. I basically went into it with very little content review for the sciences beyond reading EK Bio. Verbal was my saving grace! It sucks that so much of admissions relies on that test.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I remember talking about dress code on campus, but I don't remember what it is at DCOM.

I know I'm going to have to stock up on nicer clothes, but what does dress code actually require?

Thanks, I needed a "blurb" to show people when they approach me with this. Several times over the last two years people have came to me wanting to know if they can take the MCAT without having Physics / Organic. I always tell them, "Sure, you CAN take it without any of the prereqs, but...."

Sounds like we were in similar boats. I had finished the prereqs but my study time got decimated by a house flood. I basically went into it with very little content review for the sciences beyond reading EK Bio. Verbal was my saving grace! It sucks that so much of admissions relies on that test.

Yes it does! Especially when you took the prereqs in 1994!

So, I remember talking about dress code on campus, but I don't remember what it is at DCOM.

I know I'm going to have to stock up on nicer clothes, but what does dress code actually require?

Its pretty relaxed. Basically during working hours (M-F 7-4) you can't wear t-shirts, ripped jeans, flip flops, or hooded sweatshirts. They basically want you to look decent and clean but aren't too specific beyond prohibiting those few things. Most days I wear jeans with a polo shirt or something like that. After 4pm and on weekends you can wear whatever you want within reason.

Thanks DrMaximus! The scenery is amazing with the leaves changing colors and I saw the campus today and the buildings are brand new and awesome!!

Good luck to everyone who applied here, interviewed here, got accepted here, is matriculating here, etc. I will be withdrawing and my acceptance will hopefully go to one of you all!!

If anyone has questions about my thoughts on the campus feel free to PM me. Overall, this school was very impressive. The campus/facilities are excellent, the faculty that I met were fantastic, and it seems that this school really sets its students up for success. It was my second choice and since I was accepted to #1 I can't turn it down. lata!!!!

any canadians out there??

Got a call on Friday from Dean Stowers letting me know that I am accepted. I interviewed last Tuesday. The school was great. Bob is wonderful. Dr. Stowers was very nice on the phone. I love how quick the turn around is at this school. The facilities were great, the interview was relaxed, and the faculty members I met were all friendly. I wish everyone else the best here.

Yeah, sounds like we are definitely in the same boat. VB saved me too. It also didn't help that I took all my pre-reqs (minus physics, of course) freshman year...4 years later, I had forgotten a lot. Oops >.<

My interview for DCOM was today...and it went pretty well. It was relaxed and closed file and more conversational. I got no ethical questions but a few people did today. The school has brand new facilities and a new building will open this spring. The people that interview this week-Tues and Wed will not find out if they are accepted until next Friday October, 28th because today they said admissions won't review our files until NEXT Thurs Oct. 27th...They said admissions was feeling rushed on the process so the quick turn around time will take longer now....

For anyone who has recently gotten interviews in the past week what interview date choices were you given? Does anyone have a list of interview dates for Nov and Dec?

I believe they interview every Tues/Wed all month, but obviously they will probably stop early December and resume January but you can call and confirm as well.

Are they still scheduling Nov interviews or are they into Dec already?

Yeah, got accepted yesterday too but forgot to post. Interviewed Tuesday...pretty awesome to hear so quickly...really minimized the stress. At least I'm in one school, which will help relax me for future interviews. Praying for you guys.

Congrats to all accepted thus far!!!! and good luck to those still waiting.

When did they say they'd send out paperwork and when does the deposit need to be in.

Interview invite today! For Oct 26th. Seems unbelievably soon to me, but the sooner the better!

Are they still scheduling Nov interviews or are they into Dec already?

I scheduled my interview today and was given the choice of Oct 26, Nov 16 or Nov 22. I will be interviewing on Nov 16th. Anyone flying in Nov 15 and leaving the night of the 16th and wants to carpool from the airport hit me up, planning on renting a car.

Got an interview invite here, but am deciding to withdraw my application from here due to an acceptance elsewhere. Hope one of you get my spot!

Congrats to all accepted thus far!!!! and good luck to those still waiting.

When did they say they'd send out paperwork and when does the deposit need to be in.

I was accepted but haven't heard anything about paperwork yet. Probably much later and I would imagine it will come after deposit deadlines. They follow the AACOMAS guidelines so December 14th is the current deposit deadline if accepted in the next month or so.

Is anyone here going to be interviewing on October 25th and/or going to be at pizza night on October 24th? I have seen a few people say they have the 26th, but no one seems to be on the 25th.

WOW...carpooling...such a smart idea!!...

Is anyone here going to be interviewing on October 25th and/or going to be at pizza night on October 24th? I have seen a few people say they have the 26th, but no one seems to be on the 25th.
I will be at the pizza night on the 24th and interviewing the 25th!

me! I got called for an interview last week for OCT 26! Driving up from middle TN.

For all those that have already interviewed, is there anything you suggest we brush up on or start pondering about?

For all those that have already interviewed, is there anything you suggest we brush up on or start pondering about?

Definitely have a strong understanding of what encompasses osteopathic principles. I would consider reading a very brief summary of the health care reform as some applicants were asked about that.

On the ethical questions just remember that they're not out to judge you on your personal beliefs... they want to see how you respond to pressure and to criticism of your beliefs. Stand your ground!

It's not an interview to stress out about though. Even if you are asked these things they will be done in a conversational way to see if you're a well rounded person. It's not a "fire forward and fire back" kind of interview at all, period.

I felt like the interview at LMU-DCOM has two questions it intends to answer: should you be a doctor and will you fit in here?

Hey Guys,

I am interviewing on Oct. 26th and am flying into TYS and then driving (renting a car) to Harrogate and staying at Holiday Inn.

I was just wondering if anyone wants to carpool from the airport and share the hotel room (preferably a girl...I'm a girl). The hotel booked me for two double beds so one bed is going to go waste either way. We can split the cost for the car, gas and hotel. Plus, it will be nice to be with someone during the trip as I've never been to TN before.

Let me know if anyone is interested and good luck everyone with your interviews and can't wait to meet those interviewing on 10/26. :)

Definitely have a strong understanding of what encompasses osteopathic principles. I would consider reading a very brief summary of the health care reform as some applicants were asked about that.

On the ethical questions just remember that they're not out to judge you on your personal beliefs... they want to see how you respond to pressure and to criticism of your beliefs. Stand your ground!

It's not an interview to stress out about though. Even if you are asked these things they will be done in a conversational way to see if you're a well rounded person. It's not a "fire forward and fire back" kind of interview at all, period.

I felt like the interview at LMU-DCOM has two questions it intends to answer: should you be a doctor and will you fit in here?

Completely agree with this. :thumbup:

Completely agree with this. :thumbup:

:thumbup:

DCOM's process really does follow that "Can you? Would you? Should you?" kind of approach. I'm sure DrMax would agree with this as well. At the point of the interview the first two questions have been answered. You can (academically) and you would (secondary essays - determination - devotion to your studies).

At the interview stage, they simply want to know if you should. Should you become a doctor? Do you possess the qualities and personality to make a good doctor? Will you fit in at DCOM and will you contribute in a positive way to the school? Are your motivations the right ones - is something more than money driving you to be a physician?

Go into it with those thoughts and questions heavy on your mind - realize throughout that these are the questions they want answered. Don't try to feed them answers you think they want to hear (remember, they interview hundreds per year - they know when you're doing this!). Just be yourself, be open, be conversational and share things about yourself that will place you in a positive well-rounded light. Your interviewers ONLY know the things you share with them - they're blind to you and who you are.

Half the battle is over! It's a 50:50 shot, give or take, statistically. Fingers crossed :)xf:) for all of the SDN crew to fall in the better part of that 50%! :luck:

6 more days!!! Admissions said they will review files on Thursday and calls should if the Dean is there go out next Friday....:S

Just hoping for good news!

:thumbup:

DCOM's process really does follow that "Can you? Would you? Should you?" kind of approach. I'm sure DrMax would agree with this as well. At the point of the interview the first two questions have been answered. You can (academically) and you would (secondary essays - determination - devotion to your studies).

At the interview stage, they simply want to know if you should. Should you become a doctor? Do you possess the qualities and personality to make a good doctor? Will you fit in at DCOM and will you contribute in a positive way to the school? Are your motivations the right ones - is something more than money driving you to be a physician?

Go into it with those thoughts and questions heavy on your mind - realize throughout that these are the questions they want answered. Don't try to feed them answers you think they want to hear (remember, they interview hundreds per year - they know when you're doing this!). Just be yourself, be open, be conversational and share things about yourself that will place you in a positive well-rounded light. Your interviewers ONLY know the things you share with them - they're blind to you and who you are.

Half the battle is over! It's a 50:50 shot, give or take, statistically. Fingers crossed :)xf:) for all of the SDN crew to fall in the better part of that 50%! :luck:

Excellent post totally agree. Everyone waiting for interviews listen to these words of wisdom. Good luck to everyone waiting for the call and waiting to interview. Look forward to getting started and meeting everyone next year.

LMU-DCOM CLASS OF 2016!!!

ive been complete foreverrrrr n im dyingg to get an interview here!
its one of my top choices!
3.2/3.4
mcat 25
:(