Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wishing you the best my friend! I'm sure that you will be hearing good news soon!
Thanks my man. Congrats again!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
any 3rd year able to comment on ease of getting rotation sites for clinicals? did it feel well established?

This might be the completely wrong place for this, but for those who have been accepted, what are y'all thinking about housing? I was thinking of buying a house in Indianapolis within 3-5 miles of the school for the 4 years and then renting out the other rooms and wanted to see if anyone might be interested in that? I just like the idea of having a garage, and backyard, and room for a barbecue and stuff like that all while still being close to the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
any 3rd year able to comment on ease of getting rotation sites for clinicals? did it feel well established?
This came up quite a bit during the school tour and the third year with us said he felt good about his rotations with experiencing only a few hiccups. The one attractive thing about rotations here was that you can set up a rotation for your electives at an "out of network" hospital by taking initiative and contacting that specific hospital. I really appreciated his honesty because I realized I preferred roation options at other schools.

I hope other current students can comment!

Complete! I hope I get an II. I really like this school.

Did anyone else that was accepted this week get a call? I only got an email and wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything. I also had some questions for them

Did anyone else that was accepted this week get a call? I only got an email and wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything. I also had some questions for them
I only got an email as well.

It will be exactly 2 months in a few days since I have been forwarded for review by MUCOM....

Reactions: 1 users
Yep, they had it in August.
According to the portal, it is taking 3-5 weeks to review letters of rec an another 3-5 for interview decisions. Hang in there. It looks as if you might hear something soon.

Edit: Just saw that you were sent for review. Were your letters marked as received?

According to the portal, it is taking 3-5 weeks to review letters of rec an another 3-5 for interview decisions. Hang in there. It looks as if you might hear something soon.

Edit: Just saw that you were sent for review. Were your letters marked as received?
Yeah, everything was received in August.

This came up quite a bit during the school tour and the third year with us said he felt good about his rotations with experiencing only a few hiccups. The one attractive thing about rotations here was that you can set up a rotation for your electives at an "out of network" hospital by taking initiative and contacting that specific hospital. I really appreciated his honesty because I realized I preferred roation options at other schools.

I hope other current students can comment!

I'm not a third year so I don't know what it will be like, but I'm going to bet it's going to changing by the time you guys get to rotations. MUCOM takes feedback from the students seriously and do what they can to improve the overall quality of the education and experience. The DO whom I shadowed has been teaching students for over 25 years and wanted me to do my family practice rotation with him. He said that most schools will allow you to do that as long as you're getting the education you need to pass the boards. He's not affiliated with any schools but students come to him to get a good family practice rotation. This is also a good way for the school to get more exposure and affiliation that might otherwise never happen.

Also congrats to those newly accepted!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to those accepted. This is one of my partner's top schools but no II yet, hoping to hear from them soon.

Complete early October.

II. I was complete in mid August, so it took a little bit of time. Glad it came though!

Accepted on 11/12 as well! Can we expect something in the mail or is everything provided on the portal? I just had a few questions with some of the requirements.

Did anyone from the 11/7 interview fall into the lucky 1/3 of us that receives notice within the first week?

I have my email alerts on loud and clear on my phone, but all I got today was an(other) email from podiatry schools. My heart.

EDIT: Welp, just got the email that I wasn't reviewed this week. Here's to another week, and congrats to those with closure!

Last edited:
I just got the email that I wasn't reviewed this week as well. That's a relief to know I wasn't rejected...Yet! Hahaha now for some more waiting!

Did anyone from the 11/7 interview fall into the lucky 1/3 of us that receives notice within the first week?

I have my email alerts on loud and clear on my phone, but all I got today was an(other) email from podiatry schools. My heart.

EDIT: Welp, just got the email that I wasn't reviewed this week. Here's to another week, and congrats to those with closure!

I interviewed on the 7th and found out early thursday morning through an e-mail

Does Marian accept application updates post-interview?

They told us at our interview that they would only accept one update, so not to waste it. They said most people send on January or later and use it as a statement of intent along with any updates.

Pre-interview hold. How bad is this :/ Kinda bummed. Really was hoping for an II right away.

For those accepted - when is our $1000 seat deposit due? December 14th?

Rejected pre-II the other day with solid stats 3.6/29-30. Wasn't complete until late Oct. Anyone know if it is in fact too late and the class is getting full or are they looking for a specific person via their primary app/secondaries? Thanks!

Rejected pre-interview, as well. I was totally expecting an interview. Seems like a great school but oh well. Good luck to everyone!

Pre-interview hold. How bad is this :/ Kinda bummed. Really was hoping for an II right away.
Rejected pre-interview, as well. I was totally expecting an interview. Seems like a great school but oh well. Good luck to everyone!
Pre ii hold tonight.

Wow sorry to hear guys. I just submitted my secondary and I'm hoping they aren't being more selective now.
When were you guys complete? LizzyM if you want?

I just got an interview. I'm very excited about this school.

Good luck all!

Last edited:
It seems like Marian's acceptance standards have gone way up (which is a good thing).
I got in with a 3.9 sGPA/3.8 cGPA and 508 MCAT.
A few of my friends got waitlisted or denied and they have 4.0 GPA's and decent MCATs (502-505)

yeah it's too bad as they were accepting 3.3-3.5 25-26 MCAT earlier in the cycle. Bet you're OOS too huh?

It seems like Marian's acceptance standards have gone way up (which is a good thing).
I got in with a 3.9 sGPA/3.8 cGPA and 508 MCAT.
A few of my friends got waitlisted or denied and they have 4.0 GPA's and decent MCATs (502-505)
Edit: perhaps they focus more on interviews/EC's than stats
Umm have you seen their class profile page they give you at the interview? It's far from a 4.0 and a 509. People with these stats will end up at MD schools. No need to stressing hopefuls here.

Umm have you seen their class profile page they give you at the interview? It's far from a 4.0 and a 509. People with these stats will end up at MD schools. No need to stressing hopefuls here.

Last edited:
Their stats have grown exponentially since their first class. The average GPA was 3.6 and 27.6 MCAT (it was 3.4 and 25 in 2013). Assuming a 508 is a 30, then they're not too far off. Wouldn't be surprised if this year's average was >28. Not trying to scare anyone.
P.S. I applied DO because I like the philosophy and OMM. Would go all MD if I wanted to. You should apply to the type of school you think will fit your ideals best. Not based off stats (in my opinion).
If you google their class profiles from their original class (2017) to the class of 2018 and now the class of 2019 you will not find dramatic jumps at all. The gpa is still exactly the same with their mcat going up from 26 to 27.

If you google their class profiles from their original class (2017) to the class of 2018 and now the class of 2019 you will not find dramatic jumps at all. The gpa is still exactly the same with their mcat going up from 26 to 27.
Edit: Going to delete this. Don't want to cause any anxiety for anyone.

Last edited:
Rejected pre-II the other day with solid stats 3.6/29-30. Wasn't complete until late Oct. Anyone know if it is in fact too late and the class is getting full or are they looking for a specific person via their primary app/secondaries? Thanks!
I doubt that turning in late would be an issue. I turned in my secondary after Thanksgiving and got an interview on the very last day of the year, lol. I have seen a push this year to have less interviews because it was so grueling for the faculty and administration. With your stats, I think you'll get into another school. Good luck!

There has been an increase in stats each year since the school started. It's been steadily rising so I wouldn't be surprise to see that next class have better averages than my class. About half the class is from Indiana and the other half are out of state with the majority still in the midwest and east coast. I know like 10 people in my class that are from the west but then again I still don't know half the class yet. It's surprisingly hard to get to know all of your 150+ classmates.

Last edited:
Did anyone get a pre-interview invite hold and actually get an interview? I just received one and I'm kinda bummed :(

Did anyone get a pre-interview invite hold and actually get an interview? I just received one and I'm kinda bummed :(
Same here but they would've rejected us if there wasn't a chance. They rejected people pre ii already!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk