Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Really? Compared to others posts on this forum it seems that the faculty didn't really go to out of their way to meet the interviewees.

Hi MU-COM,

I am on decision deferred and MUCOM is my first choice.. I understand that MUCOM does not accept updates/letters to applicants not granted an interview, but how can I express my interest in attending MUCOM if my AACOMAS is already up to date???

If you are on a general pre-interview hold (meaning we did not ask for new grades/MCAT), a short email to the admissions office would suffice.

Admissions

Members don't see this ad :)
Really? Compared to others posts on this forum it seems that the faculty didn't really go to out of their way to meet the interviewees.
For me, 2/3 interviewers were faculty. I briefly met the Dean.

II today!! Complete Oct 10

Reactions: 1 user
thats very true,

however, what im interested in is how the curriculum matches up with the USMLE Step 1, not just COMLEX

Any current students care to comment on this? My only concern is how much board prep time is given at the end of 2nd year and if it's enough time to prep for COMLEX + USMLE. As far as the match list is concerned I'd imagine it being very student dependent (it's up to you to grind hard, there's no name recognition).

Also I interviewed with one professor and met the dean (both were nice people).

Received the supplemental today! What's the word count on these questions?

Looks like I will be withdrawing from the alternate list. Hope someone gets pulled off :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Any current students care to comment on this? My only concern is how much board prep time is given at the end of 2nd year and if it's enough time to prep for COMLEX + USMLE. As far as the match list is concerned I'd imagine it being very student dependent (it's up to you to grind hard, there's no name recognition).

I know we get time off and there's a board review course for us to take. I don't know about the specific but I'm sure they're working on improving the pass rate of 95%.
I know of a third year that took both boards and did well on both. She said it was very hard to do because you're so burnt out after the first one but she pulled through and did well on her USMLE. I'm not concern with residency placement. My view is that board scores reflect your knowledge and hard work and rotations reflect your personality. Do well on both and you well get your choice. It's good to be aware of boards and such but see how you do in the first semester of med school before you get overly worry about boards. After my first semester, the only thing I'm focusing on is passing each class. Lol. The struggle is REAL!

Thank you gatefire, I really appreciate you answering our Qs!

Hey everyone! I am an OMS1 here at MU-COM so if you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM. Good luck to all the current applicants! :thumbup:

Thanks for the info! It's really appreciated. Do any students live downtown? What areas/neighborhoods are popular for students and/or young-ish people?
That I don't know. Our year is different because of the new graduate housing at the Overlook. Most of my classmates live here. There is one spot that is more of college area and it's called Broad Ripple (about 15-20 mins from school). You might want to talk to a second year to figure out what neighborhoods are good.

Did anyone else have trouble with letters of recommendations? I have all of my letters through AACOMAS, but MU-COM said they are missing

Did anyone else have trouble with letters of recommendations? I have all of my letters through AACOMAS, but MU-COM said they are missing

MU-COM says there is a 3-week period for review of letters of recommendation, as long AACOMAS has already received them. So be patient if you're still within that period of time. I am in that similar position.

Last edited by a moderator:
For those accepted around 11/19, have anyone of you gotten snail mail or a phone call yet?

Board prep @ MU-COM is 10 weeks. The first 6 weeks is our Integration class. The last 4 weeks is an external board prep program, which we buy/give to students.

Admissions

Please give us at least 2-3 weeks after the supplemental to read letters, as we receive over 500 every week. If you have questions, contact Bryan.

Admissions

@MU COM

If we don't get a rejection 3 weeks after being complete, is it safe to assume we're still being looked at and considered for an interview?

I hope I receive an II tomorrow. I will be 4 weeks complete. I really like this school!

@MU COM

If we don't get a rejection 3 weeks after being complete, is it safe to assume we're still being looked at and considered for an interview?

All complete files receive an interview decision. The oldest files still under consideration are from late Oct. Those decisions will go out tomorrow. (This applies to files complete and not on a pre-interview hold.)

Then we are working on 11/6 and more recent.

Admissions

Last edited:
@MU-COM

How often do you guys review applications that are on hold? Is it still possible for someone on hold pre interview to get an II this late in the cycle?

Thank you!

Officially withdrew my acceptance today. Hopefully it goes to one of you on the wait list. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Withdrew my acceptance today. I hope it goes to one of you fine people on the waitlist!

Reactions: 2 users
Completed on the 10th of December and denied today...

Completed on the 10th of December and denied today...
That is crazy that it was only 3 days before they got to your app. I think I was complete the 12th. Best of luck at all of the other schools.

@MU-COM

How often do you guys review applications that are on hold? Is it still possible for someone on hold pre interview to get an II this late in the cycle?

Thank you!

Typically, pre-interview holds are reviewed every 2 weeks. Due to the upcoming holiday break, we have met weekly in December.

It is not late in the cycle. Please see the earlier post about how we space out our offers.

Admissions

Was on pre-ii hold but got the big rubber stamp no last week. Guess I'm not cool enough for Indianapolis :( Didn't want to be a Colts fan anyways!!!

Very difficult decision but I declined my acceptance. I hope it goes to someone deserving!

Reactions: 2 users
November 16th!
Ughhhh I feel like one is coming my way too I got it on the 24th of Nov. @MU-COM when you guys review apps on pre II hold, do you guys do a review of the candidates whole application? Or what is it you guys review again???

@ MU- COM

Can any current students comment on housing? Does anyone live downtown? How does that usually shake out?

Similarly, can anyone give me some Indy 101 regarding neighborhoods - different vibes, things to look for, things to avoid?

Just put down my deposit!! I finally feel like it's sinking in.

Reactions: 6 users
Can any current students comment on housing? Does anyone live downtown? How does that usually shake out?

Similarly, can anyone give me some Indy 101 regarding neighborhoods - different vibes, things to look for, things to avoid?
I live in Indy. There's some dicey areas for sure. Basically try to avoid the northeast side of downtown. That's where i hear about most of the murders

Please feel free to contact the admissions office for assistance.

MU-COM