Midwestern University Arizona (AZCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how many interviews they give out and the number of acceptances they hand out?
I noticed no one answered your question. I'm a current MSI at AZCOM (here procrastinating on my studies :p), and we have a class of roughly 250. I interviewed last year in April and at the time they still had about 40 spots left. Hope that helps.

I'm always down to answer questions about the school if anyone needs it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I noticed no one answered your question. I'm a current MSI at AZCOM (here procrastinating on my studies :p), and we have a class of roughly 250. I interviewed last year in April and at the time they still had about 40 spots left. Hope that helps.

Like my fellow MS1 stated, if anyone is still on a pre-interview hold right now, don't lose hope! They accept end/late season interviewees :)

Reactions: 3 users
Like my fellow MS1 stated, if anyone is still on a pre-interview hold right now, don't lose hope! They accept end/late season interviewees :)

Thank you for helping us keep hope alive!! :xf:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just received word that I was selected for the Navy HPSP scholarship and passed the information on to the admissions committee. Does anyone (current students maybe) know if AZCOM seeks out HPSP students? I'm on a pre-II waitlist (514 MCAT, 3.23 cGPA) and hoping this will give me a bump.

Sorry for my neuroticism, but have anyone heard back after II in January? Thank you!

I checked my notes from my recent interview and I wrote down that the adcom met today (2/2) so theres a chance we can start to hear back tomorrow or thursday

I checked my notes from my recent interview and I wrote down that the adcom met today (2/2) so theres a chance we can start to hear back tomorrow or thursday

So would they be reviewing all the candidates from January then? My interview was just this past Wednesday - holding my breath but should I be accepting a response too?

Yeah, I heard they were meeting Monday as well.. so getting really anxious here..

Interviewed 1/27/2016 and i just checked and the checklist page is asking me for copies of my transcripts and matriculation agreements, etc...Does this mean i got accepted?!?

Interviewed 1/27/2016 and i just checked and the checklist page is asking me for copies of my transcripts and matriculation agreements, etc...Does this mean i got accepted?!?
Is it the applicant checklist or the accepted student checklist? If it's the second, you're in.

Yep.. Looks like you're accepted. Congrats! Nothing on mine so I'm guessing wait list or rejected.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the one hospital in Chicago you speak of the Riverside Medical Center in Kankakee or is it a different site? Here is what they list for IL:

IL:
Kankakee - Riverside Medical Center
Rural - Advocate BroMenn Medical Center

Thank you!
Sorry its taken me so long to reply, we're prepping for finals. I'm not sure what is happening with the Chicago rotation, but it doesnt seem to be being offerred for you class. We have Kankakee as the rural option for Chicago (at Swedish Covenant Hospital). I know they are working to expand Kankakee and I've heard some really great things about it recently.

Accepted!!!! Accepted student checklist is on my portal!!!! Interviewed 1/22 OOS

On another note: I was recently accepted to my #1 choice so I won't be taking a seat in the class of 2020 - hope it goes out to one of you guys!

Reactions: 2 users
My portal hasn't changed either way. Do all the acceptances/waitlists/denials go out at once or over time?

And do any current AZCOM students have tips for getting off waitlists?

My portal hasn't changed either way. Do all the acceptances/waitlists/denials go out at once or over time?

And do any current AZCOM students have tips for getting off waitlists?
I know it's hard, but you just have to wait for a few days. I found out I got in a few days after others who interviewed on the same day with me got in. I think it just depends on who has your name and how quickly they get everything processed. Some are quick... And others take a painfully long time.

Reactions: 1 users
I just want to make it known that having the accepted student checklist on your portal does not mean your accepted. This confused me too. Does anyone have the ability to see anything when clicking matriculation payment?

It does mean your accepted. It just takes a day or two for them to allow you to make a payment.
Source: I was accepted

It does mean your accepted. It just takes a day or two for them to allow you to make a payment.
Source: I was accepted
Ya I'm just confused bc I had the accepted student checklist since the day after I interviewed. And nothing has changed.

Ya I'm just confused bc I had the accepted student checklist since the day after I interviewed. And nothing has changed.
Do you just see "accepted student checklist" lists or when you click it, is there a list of stuff? If second one, it should be accepted.

You had that link on the side since the day you got your secondary. If there's nothing there you haven't been accepted yet.

Last edited:
Accepted this morning! Interviewed 1/22. Almost had a heart attack when I saw the accepted student checklist actually had a checklist.

Reactions: 3 users
I let me seat go sometime last week, I hope it went to someone deserving.

Time to get that $100/1000 deposit back! : (

Called the admissions office and they said they still deciding on some applications. Said mine had no changes as of yet. The suspense is killing me! I wish they had told us right after the interview ha!

Called the admissions office and they said they still deciding on some applications. Said mine had no changes as of yet. The suspense is killing me! I wish they had told us right after the interview ha!

Thanks for the info! The day is getting longer and longer for me :( really hoping to get into the program..

Received a II today. Grateful but will be withdrawing. Hope my spot goes to someone in need!

since I was one of the last people to be interviewed on my interview day (1/25) should I expect to hear back later rather than sooner?

since I was one of the last people to be interviewed on my interview day (1/25) should I expect to hear back later rather than sooner?
It's all over the place... Some people from 1/27 already heard back.. Some from 1/22 haven't.. Just have to wait till Friday to be sure.

It mostly depends on who your Adcom is, not so much on when in the day you interviewed. I found out I was accepted very soon after interview, while someone who interviewed before me but with a different panel was admitted later.

It mostly depends on who your Adcom is, not so much on when in the day you interviewed. I found out I was accepted very soon after interview, while someone who interviewed before me but with a different panel was admitted later.
Was it a day/two later or much later? Thank you.

Was it a day/two later or much later? Thank you.
For mine I got the checklist two or three days later and the call the day after the checklist. The person I know who was later had a delay of around 6 or 8 days before he heard back. It may be different now since it is later in the cycle.

I understand that many are waiting for accepted student checklist to appear on portal, but I was just wondering if we still see nothing on portal (and as I understand adcom met on 2/2) - is it sign of waitlist/rejection (so in essence a silent rejection) or we will still receive some notification in that case too? Answer will be much appreciated.

P.S. AZCOM is my first choice and I'm just trying to plan accordingly and if possible avoid upcoming unnecessary expensive trips for II's to other colleges.

I understand that many are waiting for accepted student checklist to appear on portal, but I was just wondering if we still see nothing on portal (and as I understand adcom met on 2/2) - is it sign of waitlist/rejection (so in essence a silent rejection) or we will still receive some notification in that case too? Answer will be much appreciated.

P.S. AZCOM is my first choice and I'm just trying to plan accordingly and if possible avoid upcoming unnecessary expensive trips for II's to other colleges.

You can always call the admissions office and they will tell you if a decision has been made. if you're put on the alternate list, there will be a list that appears on the applicant checklist, rather than the accepted checklist.

You can always call the admissions office and they will tell you if a decision has been made. if you're put on the alternate list, there will be a list that appears on the applicant checklist, rather than the accepted checklist.
I have a checklist on "applicant checklist" so I was worried I may have been wait listed so I called the admission office. The lady me that the admission committee have not met for the recent interviews yet... I told her I interviewed on 1/27 and she said they haven't met to decide on those applicants yet. They were suppose to meet this week but had some scheduling conflict so I believe it will be either Friday or middle of next week when they meet to decide.

I have a checklist on "applicant checklist" so I was worried I may have been wait listed so I called the admission office. The lady me that the admission committee have not met for the recent interviews yet... I told her I interviewed on 1/27 and she said they haven't met to decide on those applicants yet. They were suppose to meet this week but had some scheduling conflict so I believe it will be either Friday or middle of next week when they meet to decide.
Thank you for finding that out. I'll call admissions too to see if that's the case for 1/25 interviewees. I'll post it here when I get a response.

Last edited:
I j
I just called and the lady I talked to said that she wasn't aware of any delay. However she could have been referring to the 1/25 interview date and not your date. In any case, there hasn't been a change in my app status. Best of luck everybody, guess we just gotta be patient :)

Could it be that there are possibly several adcom meetings depending which panel you've got on interview. This could explain why some 1/22 folks already got their decision on portal, while some 1/17 are still waiting; and it explains why some applicants that called to find out their status been told contradicting info about whether or not adcom have met.
Just a wild guess. :) Anyway we can only patiently wait for decision.

I'd be super interested in knowing more about these repayment programs, actually. Will probably be bothering fin aid with emails until August...

Don't know what year you are but do you know if there are prosecting jobs for students during the year/over summer?
Yes, there are beginning with the Spring term of M1, There are a few options for summer positions with dissecting and teaching in other programs.You can also TA during the M2 year (you help with the M1 anatomy labs/reviews).

Withdrew my acceptance here. Absolutely loved this school but found out I couldn't afford the tuition... Hope it goes to one of you on the waitlist! :)

Called admissions today as well. Apparently, I have not been scheduled for my post II review. The lady at admissions said that I will probably be scheduled with the people interviewing the week of 2/26. Like everything else in the medical school application process, there is no rhyme or reason. She did tell me that a postponed review will not negatively effect my chances at a seat. Looks like we have to wait patiently. (1/25 interview).

On another note, the admissions lady was REALLY nice!

wow.... I feel like the answers are kind of all over the place from them.

Called admissions today as well. Apparently, I have not been scheduled for my post II review. The lady at admissions said that I will probably be scheduled with the people interviewing the week of 2/26. Like everything else in the medical school application process, there is no rhyme or reason. She did tell me that a postponed review will not negatively effect my chances at a seat. Looks like we have to wait patiently. (1/25 interview).

On another note, the admissions lady was REALLY nice!

Application processes only get crazier ;) Haha but really it shouldn't affect your chances. AZCOM typically won't fill the entire class by February. I said it in an earlier post, but last year they had 40-50 spots available for our class at mid April. I know not every year is the same and it sucks waiting but don't worry too much about it (easy for me to say right?). Good luck!

It's been awfully quiet in here. Any news guys? :beat: