Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all,

I've been accepted to CCOM and I would like to get some pros/cons from current students.

What do you like about the school? Dislike? What is an average day like? With the learning style being mostly didactic, do you feel like you get to know your classmates well? Do most people study in groups or by themselves?

Any other thoughts or advice would be great too!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
For those who got in, what was your GPA and MCAT? How about those who are waiting?

Got accepted in the last batch (1/29) from my 1/27 interview! MCAT 34 sGPA 3.3 cGPA 3.4

Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, I interviewed today. For those curious, they said the class is 2/3 full, but they are still at a point where they feel comfortable accepting as many people as they feel warrant it. Also, good luck to everyone from today. You were an awesome, diverse group that made the day a little less nerve-wrecking and that I would be happy to have as future classmates.

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know when we should start thinking about housing in Downers Grove? I've heard campus housing isn't the best so I was thinking about looking for off campus apartments close by. Any older students have suggestions for places to live or for how to find roommates?

Anyone else getting interview invites still?

Has anyone responded to this? Also curious.
GPA 3.8 MCAT 8,8,11 =27

I was accepted with 3.8/27 but I interviewed early in the cycle. When did you apply? You could try sending an update letter to admissions.

I was accepted with 3.8/27 but I interviewed early in the cycle. When did you apply? You could try sending an update letter to admissions.
Ooh how early? And when did you interview and hear back? I applied late. I finished secondaries in September but they had to wait for my newest MCAT which I took Dec. And results came out Jan. 6

I sent an update letter a few weeks ago and also tried to call admissions. Ill call back next week if I still don't hear.

Ooh how early? And when did you interview and hear back? I applied late. I finished secondaries in September but they had to wait for my newest MCAT which I took Dec. And results came out Jan. 6

I sent an update letter a few weeks ago and also tried to call admissions. Ill call back next week if I still don't hear.

I was complete in July, interviewed in September, accepted in October. Was the 27 a big improvement over your old score? That could be part of the issue. But I've heard in previous years CCOM can interview even through April, so I wouldn't say it's impossible to hear back after your new score was sent in January. However, there are people who have literally been complete since last summer and still haven't heard. So who knows. Glad you sent in the update letter. Wishing you luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I was complete in July, interviewed in September, accepted in October. Was the 27 a big improvement over your old score? That could be part of the issue. But I've heard in previous years CCOM can interview even through April, so I wouldn't say it's impossible to hear back after your new score was sent in January. However, there are people who have literally been complete since last summer and still haven't heard. So who knows. Glad you sent in the update letter. Wishing you luck!
I went from 7,7,10=24 to 8,8,11=27. Not as big of an improvement as I would've liked but improvement in all 3 sections. I'm hoping I don't have to do this another cycle. It's so crazy lol! Thanks for the well wishes and the speedy response!

I went from 7,7,10=24 to 8,8,11=27. Not as big of an improvement as I would've liked but improvement in all 3 sections. I'm hoping I don't have to do this another cycle. It's so crazy lol! Thanks for the well wishes and the speedy response!

Congrats on the improvement in your score. Unfortunately the 24 might still be holding you back, since many schools will average your scores or at least consider both when reviewing your application. I hope you are successful though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on the improvement in your score. Unfortunately the 24 might still be holding you back, since many schools will average your scores or at least consider both when reviewing your application. I hope you are successful though.
Shoot haven't thought about that hopefully MWU doesn't do that lol. Or if they consider both scores they'll look at the improvement.lol. And thanks much luck needed here! If you have any more updates or suggestions, please let me know. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Was told in my interview at the beginning of the month that we would definitely hear back by the end of the month. The means the adcom must be making decisions today or tomorrow. This waiting is driving me crazy. I hope they are meeting today.

Reactions: 3 users
Got a pre-interview rejection letter today. Good luck to those still waiting!

Hey, so not sure if this will be helpful but I went from a 25 to a 26 on my second retake (so not as big of an improvement as yours is) and I was accepted last month with a strong GPA just like yours. So I don't think you should lose hope! I was freaking out especially since everyone on SDN calls this an "MCAT-obsessed" school, but I was accepted with a 26 and I know another girl who was as well with the same score. Good luck, and I truly hope it works out for you! :)

Hey, so not sure if this will be helpful but I went from a 25 to a 26 on my second retake (so not as big of an improvement as yours is) and I was accepted last month with a strong GPA just like yours. So I don't think you should lose hope! I was freaking out especially since everyone on SDN calls this an "MCAT-obsessed" school, but I was accepted with a 26 and I know another girl who was as well with the same score. Good luck, and I truly hope it works out for you! :)
Gosh I really hope so too. I called them and if I interpreted it correctly, that they have not finished sending invitations out. Hopefully I'll have the same luck as you! But when did you complete and get interview invite and got interviewed? Thanks for the response this is somehow reassuring lol

Gosh I really hope so too. I called them and if I interpreted it correctly, that they have not finished sending invitations out. Hopefully I'll have the same luck as you! But when did you complete and get interview invite and got interviewed? Thanks for the response this is somehow reassuring lol

No worries! I had a relatively late app. I was complete at the tail end of October, got an ii at the end of November, and I interviewed mid-Jan. You should hopefully hear soon! And I've heard update letters really help so it's great that you followed up with that. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

No worries! I had a relatively late app. I was complete at the tail end of October, got an ii at the end of November, and I interviewed mid-Jan. You should hopefully hear soon! And I've heard update letters really help so it's great that you followed up with that. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Thanks very much. Yea I sent an update letter about 2 weeks ago and got in touch with admissions. And like I said they basically told me to hang on and I'm hoping that I still get an invite. It seems like 2 people from this discussion and the other person that you know has similar stats like me and got in so still crossing my fingers! I need all the luck, prayers, well wishes, good vibes in the world right now. Lol

sorry to hear about the rejection, but when were you complete if you don't mind??
Sorry also. I'm still waiting and now scared to check the mail. But same question as Eternal Fighter!

Just got the acceptance email! I am so excited. Looks like they met today. Good luck to everyone waiting.

Reactions: 8 users
Just got the acceptance email! I am so excited. Looks like they met today. Good luck to everyone waiting.
Congrats!! Welcome to the family :p

Good luck to those still waiting to hear back. I hope you get good news!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats!! Welcome to the family :p

Good luck to those still waiting to hear back. I hope you get good news!
Thanks a ton! I love your name and emblem by the way. I went with a firely moniker. However, Harry potter is superior.

Accepted! Interviewed 2/2

Congrats to all the other acceptees!

There are no words to convey the stoked that I am right now.

No, it didn't. I can't even believe it. I thought I did well

Just accepted as well! It hasn't even been a week since I interviewed there! So excited!

Also, tried searching this forum and fb to no avail for an accepted students page - anyone mind posting the link below if they have it handy?

To give you a little more hope, my MCAT history is 24, 26, 26 (all from 2014). I was complete 24 Oct, received interview invite 26 Nov, interviewed in January, and accepted. So there is definitely hope with a history of a not-so-stellar MCAT. Hopefully you won't have to re-apply next cycle, but if you do, getting your application in super early should definitely help you out. Good luck!

I agree, don't give up hope. I just received an acceptance email today, and I had the same MCAT as you at first, but then a worse score on the second try. I have a great GPA though, and I'm a Master's student right now. I would go ahead and say this school is not exactly MCAT "heavy" and they probably looked at my better MCAT more.

Good luck, and yes I would send an update letter!

Accepted today as well!! Congrats everyone! :soexcited::highfive::clap:

Reactions: 5 users
To give you a little more hope, my MCAT history is 24, 26, 26 (all from 2014). I was complete 24 Oct, received interview invite 26 Nov, interviewed in January, and accepted. So there is definitely hope with a history of a not-so-stellar MCAT. Hopefully you won't have to re-apply next cycle, but if you do, getting your application in super early should definitely help you out. Good luck!
Thank you!!!! This gives me a little bit more hope.

Accepted! Interviewed 2/20. I still have to wait on a few things before making a final decision but congrats to everyone that found out today! This was my first interview and acceptance, so I am feeling very relieved!

Last edited:
Hi all,

I've been accepted to CCOM and I would like to get some pros/cons from current students.

What do you like about the school? Dislike? What is an average day like? With the learning style being mostly didactic, do you feel like you get to know your classmates well? Do most people study in groups or by themselves?

Any other thoughts or advice would be great too!

Thanks

Bump

i have been complete since like September and haven't heard a word. Anyone like me??

would a current or previous student mind sharing what a typical day or week is like at midwestern?

Received my rejection via snail mail on last Saturday. Submitted secondary on 1/14/2015. Good luck to everyone still waiting.

How long did it take those who have been accepted to receive their actual acceptance letters?

How long did it take those who have been accepted to receive their actual acceptance letters?

Was about a week, I think. The acceptance letter doesn't really offer any extra info beyond the email, everything important seems to be online in the portal! But of course, there's an excitement in getting to open up your hard copy letter :)

That
i have been complete since like September and haven't heard a word. Anyone like me??
That was me last year. I was at 24Mcat ~3.7 GPA complete end of September. Did not hear until APRIL. Give them an update e-Mail?

That

That was me last year. I was at 24Mcat ~3.7 GPA complete end of September. Did not hear until APRIL. Give them an update e-Mail?

Were you invited for an interview in April?