Oklahoma State University (OSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how many people have been officially accepted and how many more spots are available?
To all those who have received an acceptance, would you mind posting your stats? I'm just trying to get a realistic idea of my chances as my interview approaches.

They don't give numbers about how full the class is, and there will be some that choose to go elsewhere. Though it may be a crude estimate, the number of people in the facebook group is about 50. If I remember from last year's thread, around March the facebook group had 90-something members so that would mean pretty high percentage of accepted students joined the group. Playing with numbers, I know, but it might be as good an estimate as you can get right now.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how many people have been officially accepted and how many more spots are available?
To all those who have received an acceptance, would you mind posting your stats? I'm just trying to get a realistic idea of my chances as my interview approaches.
In state, 3.3 sGPA, 3.5 cGPA, 32 MCAT
Clinical Experience of 2.5 years in the ER
Worked for a Non-Profit and have been teaching since graduation in '09

To those on the wait list who got an acceptance: What did you do to improve your application?

Members don't see this ad :)
To those on the wait list who got an acceptance: What did you do to improve your application?

I would say give Lindsey or Sarah a call since every application is different. However, I volunteered a bit more and I was planning on doing some shadowing but then I got in. I think they really like it if you show effort to improve your app while on the waitlist, even though a few extra hours really doesn't change all that much.

When I was on the waitlist I just kept volunteering--actually I increased my volunteering--and updated them every few weeks. Also be sure to update them with any new grades/MCAT if applicable. If you have an additional letter of recommendation that stands out you can send that in, but they already have four of those from you (unless you had a committee letter).

There's honestly not a whole lot you can do while on the waitlist. That's why I volunteered even more than normal, I felt it was really all I could do no matter how little effect it may have had. I can't stand being passive.

If you're on the waitlist, don't give up hope. I know it can be dismaying but being waitlisted at OSU isn't all doom-and-gloom. Call the admissions office and ask what you can do to improve your chances. They probably won't tell you much different, but it might let them know you really want to go here. IMO, keeping in touch with them is the best thing you can do.

Good luck to everyone interviewing today-I will see you there!

Interviewed Jan 9th, wait listed last Friday, got the call today...Class of 2018!!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed Jan 9th, wait listed last Friday, got the call today...Class of 2018!!!!!

The elusive morning acceptance call, you might be the first haha. Congrats! Glad your time on the waitlist was very short.

I was thinking the same thing! It was the first time my phone has rang in weeks that I didn't even consider it could be OSU.

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted! Do most students use a mac or PC?

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted! Do most students use a mac or PC?

I'm not sure that many current students look at this thread. Send an email with this question to [email protected]

If you do use a Mac, there are classes where you'll need to use conversion software like CrossOver Mac.

I was with the graduate students last semester and we took classes with the medical students. They gave a poll at the start of the Foundation's courses and it was about 60% PC and 40% Mac.

I will say that if you are purchasing a laptop I would recommend a PC. I love my Macbook but there was an issue with at least two programs that were not Mac compatible and I had to download Parallels and Windows on my Mac.

The programs were NOT required to do the coursework but definitely made it easier to have the resources there at your disposal.

The biggest difference between Mac and PC's is when watching the lecture videos on D2L. When using a Mac you can watch the same lecture videos but with a PC you can adjust the playback speed. I was able to watch lectures at 2x when running Windows on my Mac with Parallels, but I was not able to do so with my Mac. I found this out late in the year and would have loved to have known about this during Biochem.

If you love the Mac and really want one (I did), do yourself a favor and get Parallels and Windows. Windows 7 is available for free through the school but Parallels is not.

Hope that helps

Is there anyone reading this that was part of the Friday 2/9 interview group?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an interview! I'm very excited as I applied much later than I would have liked... Wish me luck. The interview is the 19th of this month! What has been the typical wait between interview - acceptance/decline this year?

I got an interview! I'm very excited as I applied much later than I would have liked... Wish me luck. The interview is the 19th of this month! What has been the typical wait between interview - acceptance/decline this year?

Congrats! They do their best to let you know within two weeks of the day you interview. By monitoring this thread, it seems like it has taken longer this year for whatever reason, but they don't want to keep you in limbo for long. It is getting late in the cycle, but it looks like you have really nice stats which I'd guess will help your case.

Did the 1/23 interviewers already hear back?

I am going to touch base here. I am 4th year whose all but done. I've been through it all school wise.

My 2 cents on computers. Get what you want. Don't get a special tablet because it's recommended or anything. If you like Mac get it. You can always bootcamp and run windows or you can use free software called virtual box to run windows within Mac osx. Last option is crossover which uses wine software to directly run individual programs on the Mac osx.

If you've always had a PC at least look at a Mac. I was the i.t. guy of my class and I can't tell you how many people lost tests mans started over because their computer died or went into updates in the middle of a test. Macs definitely have superior batteries.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me or post.

I am going to touch base here. I am 4th year whose all but done. I've been through it all school wise.

My 2 cents on computers. Get what you want. Don't get a special tablet because it's recommended or anything. If you like Mac get it. You can always bootcamp and run windows or you can use free software called virtual box to run windows within Mac osx. Last option is crossover which uses wine software to directly run individual programs on the Mac osx.

If you've always had a PC at least look at a Mac. I was the i.t. guy of my class and I can't tell you how many people lost tests mans started over because their computer died or went into updates in the middle of a test. Macs definitely have superior batteries.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me or post.

Thanks for the info. What specialty are you going into? Did you participate in the AOA match yesterday or are you going ACGME?

Thanks for the info. What specialty are you going into? Did you participate in the AOA match yesterday or are you going ACGME?

I am doing internal medicine. I interviewed at OSU as my only DO and then 6 ACGME. I applied a total 10 ACGME but turned down one and didn't get offers at the rest.

I matched yesterday at OSU. I was on the line between OSU and going allo to either Scott and White or Methodist Houston. I had to critically analyze all of my goals heavily to make my decision. I finally determined it would suit my family and I better to stay here for numerous reasons. The trade off though is less fellowship opportunities and the prestige factor of training at the Texas medical center. I am okay with that. I had the scores and grades to do any specialty but I definitely enjoy the diagnostics of medicine the most and punting the dirty stuff to surgery, etc.

I am doing internal medicine. I interviewed at OSU as my only DO and then 6 ACGME. I applied a total 10 ACGME but turned down one and didn't get offers at the rest.

I matched yesterday at OSU. I was on the line between OSU and going allo to either Scott and White or Methodist Houston. I had to critically analyze all of my goals heavily to make my decision. I finally determined it would suit my family and I better to stay here for numerous reasons. The trade off though is less fellowship opportunities and the prestige factor of training at the Texas medical center. I am okay with that. I had the scores and grades to do any specialty but I definitely enjoy the diagnostics of medicine the most and punting the dirty stuff to surgery, etc.

You had the numbers to go into anything. Mind sharing any tips/hints/strategies you used to be successful?

You had the numbers to go into anything. Mind sharing any tips/hints/strategies you used to be successful?

Balance. Med school can easily consume you. You will deny yourself movie nights, date nights, gym time all in the name to "do better" on the next test. This will burn you our quicker than anything else I know.

Sleep well. It keeps the mind fresh and malleable. You'll have to do the occasional all nighter and you'll have many strings of late nights but always catch up and don't continually sacrifice sleep for grades. You may do 2 points better on the next immediate test but you will have 4 others burning in the background waiting to be extinguished and you won't have the endurance to do it. Then you suffer on them.

Other than that it's all personal. Figure out how to study efficient. Don't worry about falling behind as everyone does even though professors will say not to. The key is one fire at a time. School is not a sprint but a marathon.

My personal advice as what worked for me. Study alone. Review in groups. A lot of people group study and every time I did we gossiped a lot and accomplished little. However, reviewing material in a group environment helps because you only truly know something when you can teach it and debate it.

Lastly when it comes to boards make a study plan. Mine started the winter break before boards (I started December of 11 and took step 1 June of 12) and I adhered to it hell or high water. You will obviously have to sacrifice class study some but 2nd year was lighter in my opinion so it's no more difficult.

Balance. Med school can easily consume you. You will deny yourself movie nights, date nights, gym time all in the name to "do better" on the next test. This will burn you our quicker than anything else I know.

Sleep well. It keeps the mind fresh and malleable. You'll have to do the occasional all nighter and you'll have many strings of late nights but always catch up and don't continually sacrifice sleep for grades. You may do 2 points better on the next immediate test but you will have 4 others burning in the background waiting to be extinguished and you won't have the endurance to do it. Then you suffer on them.

Other than that it's all personal. Figure out how to study efficient. Don't worry about falling behind as everyone does even though professors will say not to. The key is one fire at a time. School is not a sprint but a marathon.

My personal advice as what worked for me. Study alone. Review in groups. A lot of people group study and every time I did we gossiped a lot and accomplished little. However, reviewing material in a group environment helps because you only truly know something when you can teach it and debate it.

Lastly when it comes to boards make a study plan. Mine started the winter break before boards (I started December of 11 and took step 1 June of 12) and I adhered to it hell or high water. You will obviously have to sacrifice class study some but 2nd year was lighter in my opinion so it's no more difficult.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice!

I am on the wait list for this school. I was wondering if anyone thought it would improve my chances by sending two letters of rec. from two alumni. I already have multiple letters from OSU Alumni. I am also volunteering more and taking another class. Anybody have any other ideas? Beginning to stress!!

I am on the wait list for this school. I was wondering if anyone thought it would improve my chances by sending two letters of rec. from two alumni. I already have multiple letters from OSU Alumni. I am also volunteering more and taking another class. Anybody have any other ideas? Beginning to stress!!

Smoke 'em if you got 'em. Can't hurt.

Make sure you let them know of your volunteering, update them every couple of weeks.

I have been emailing Lindsey about every other week, I am probably annoying her to death. Do you have any idea how many have been accepted so far?

Also, does anyone if the waitlist is ranked? or do they just randomly accept off the waitlist?

I have been emailing Lindsey about every other week, I am probably annoying her to death. Do you have any idea how many have been accepted so far?

A few posts back, I mentioned the best estimate of how full the class is may be roughly estimated by members of the facebook group. Since that post, a few more have joined. Probably about 55ish members now. This is just a very rough estimate, though.

Also, does anyone if the waitlist is ranked? or do they just randomly accept off the waitlist?

The waitlist at this school is not ranked. If someone was waitlisted last week, they have no advantage or disadvantage compared to someone who has been on the waitlist since October. That said, I don't know that I'd call it 'random' lol even though it may seem like that at times.

Hey everyone. I am selling my house. We are looking to move larger otherwise we would keep this house. We bought it brand new and I have maintained it and upgraded the carpet to laminate hardwood that has a lifetime warranty, added an in garage storm shelter and built a privacy fence. At the time of purchase we added custom blinds, guttering, additional cabinets and many other options.

I am not sure when the first new student get together is but feel free to stop by or schedule a showing. You can contact me directly or through A realtor.

Saplulpa is a growing suburb of Tulsa with cheaper real state than any other community. We are in lone star schools which are much better than Sapulpa. It is about a 20-30 minute commute to school and the hospital depending if you take the turnpike or highway 75.

http://www.tulsarealtors.com/ResidentialDetails.aspx?MLS=1404509

That's a nice looking home. I love the kitchen and the ceilings in the master bedroom and the storm shelter. We just purchased our home last year and it is nice knowing that all those student loans are building equity instead of just paying rent. Our home was priced around what you are asking and the mortgage, taxes and insurance are only about $120 more than what we were paying for rent at an apartment. I couldn't believe how affordable a house actually ended up being. Good luck with the sale!

Phlame & Apollo, did you guys just pay for a house with student loan money? I'd like to buy a house or condo but am kind of afraid of that big of a commitment while in med school. I'd love to get some money back when I move vs. throwing it away on rent.

Phlame & Apollo, did you guys just pay for a house with student loan money? I'd like to buy a house or condo but am kind of afraid of that big of a commitment while in med school. I'd love to get some money back when I move vs. throwing it away on rent.
I did an FHA which provides 5% down in trade for a slightly higher APR and you have PMI to pay too. Still worth it though. We had a 2 bed 850sqft apt and paid 725/mo and my mortgage is 530 but with tax and insurance comes to payments of 800 a month.

You need a 620 credit to qualify. If your parents are willing to cosign or have a spouse etc with income it helps significantly.

And as for paying yes we used student loans. My wife worked through 2nd year when we had our first child and now is a stay at home with our two children.

I also used an FHA loan but I bought a HUD home (basically a government owned foreclosure) and it only required 3% down. There are quite a bit of really good HUD deals on the main HUD website. Hopefully this isn't breaking any rules :www.HUDhomestore.com

You bid on the homes through a HUD agent and since the gov't just wants to get rid of them so you can usually get the home for 80-90% of list price. Our home was appraised for tax purposes as $145k, it was listed at $128k, we bid $118k and got it.

Make sure you see the house first as some HUD homes are in need of repairs since they are houses people just walked away from a year or so ago. We got lucky and ours needed nothing.

We got locked in at 3.5% interest last year (not sure what they are right now, but still better than what they were for the last 15-20 years) and still have to pay mortgage insurance (it is calculated as a percentage of what is borrowed until yo have 20% equity, our home was $118k and it is about $120 a month or so??). We also have the home owner's insurance and property taxes which brings our total monthly payment to $828. We paid almost $700 for rent at our apartment.

In terms of being afraid of the commitment-I was too. But I looked specifically at foreclosures and HUD homes only. I figured these property values had already bottomed out and at the very least I would sell it for what was owed on the note after school and break even. The reality is that a foreclosure home gains value the second you buy it because when you go to sell it it is not being sold as a foreclosure. The market is improving and home values are slowly increasing. If you buy a home in this manner, you really run very little risk of losing more money than you would in an apartment. It would probably cost $28,000 to rent for the next 4 years. By purchasing a house, you are investing that $28,000 in something that has a great potential to increase in value and allow you to recoup all (and in some cases MORE) of the money you put into it.

I cannot speak to the subject of condo's or even private seller homes for that matter. I do know that after all my research a HUD home was what worked best for me.

PM me if you have any HUD specific questions.

I should add that we applied for our HUD home loan before school while my wife and I were both working full time. I don't know what impact this had on us being approved for the loan.

I had my interview on the 19th. The gentlemen at the front security desk gave me at hard time by letting me know I was at the wrong building when I asked them where the interviews were haha. They then proceeded to show me the room back and to the left. The interview itself was very pleasant. I wasn't nervous, which made me felt like I was much better able to portray myself to them especially compared to my other interviews. I left the interview feeling great about it, which I was told was a good thing. The students I talked to said not to be discouraged by a "waitlist" because around 60% of their current class were "waitlisted" before being accepted. In closing, now we begin the famed waiting game! Anyone know if do (hopefully get waitlisted at least) whenabouts might I have to wait? As in what is the absolute longest that I may have to endure waiting?

I had my interview on the 19th. The gentlemen at the front security desk gave me at hard time by letting me know I was at the wrong building when I asked them where the interviews were haha. They then proceeded to show me the room back and to the left. The interview itself was very pleasant. I wasn't nervous, which made me felt like I was much better able to portray myself to them especially compared to my other interviews. I left the interview feeling great about it, which I was told was a good thing. The students I talked to said not to be discouraged by a "waitlist" because around 60% of their current class were "waitlisted" before being accepted. In closing, now we begin the famed waiting game! Anyone know if do (hopefully get waitlisted at least) whenabouts might I have to wait? As in what is the absolute longest that I may have to endure waiting?

Sure you want to know the answer to that? lol

I was accepted off the waitlist in June or July. There have been occasions where people were accepted from the waitlist during orientation week, although I don't think that happens often.

Alright, so I was finishing up the scholarship application and realized it asks for a one page CV. Anyone know if this page limit is strictly enforced?

Alright, so I was finishing up the scholarship application and realized it asks for a one page CV. Anyone know if this page limit is strictly enforced?

Doubt it. I just figured they want a resume-style CV. If you have enough non-fluff items to list, go on to a second page.

I have a few publications and a host of scholarly presentations, which take up a ton of space alone. Fitting everything on one page is nearly impossible..

Has anyone from the 2/5 through 2/7 interviews heard anything yet? I was prepared for a 2 week wait but that ship sailed last Friday...Sarah said calls should start going out this week and I was just curious if any of those calls have been made yet.

I have a few publications and a host of scholarly presentations, which take up a ton of space alone. Fitting everything on one page is nearly impossible..

If you want to be sure, you can email Jason Marrujo in Student Financial Services. He usually responds very quickly.

[email protected]

I went ahead and emailed Jason, and he said it could be included in its entirety. Thanks for the suggestion!

I just got an interview today for March 12th! So nervous but excited!

Congratulations! I wouldn't be nervous, it is a very relaxed interview.

Ok well today is the 3 week mark since my group interviewed. Sarah said she thought we would hear something this week but still no word. I don't want to hassle her and I know they will call when they call but it is hard to fight the temptation to call and see if any other calls have gone out...hopefully we hear something in the next hour and a half or it looks to be a long weekend...

Ok well today is the 3 week mark since my group interviewed. Sarah said she thought we would hear something this week but still no word. I don't want to hassle her and I know they will call when they call but it is hard to fight the temptation to call and see if any other calls have gone out...hopefully we hear something in the next hour and a half or it looks to be a long weekend...

I just called-- Sarah said decisions have been made but no one will be receiving phone calls until next week due to several people being out with illnesses/vacation/etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the info. It sucks to have to wait another week but I'm glad I didn't have to bug her again to find out. This is going to end up being almost an entire month spent waiting for those calls-I really hope it ends up turning out good for us!

I just got an interview today for March 12th! So nervous but excited!
Congrats! I know it's hard not to be nervous, but it actually is a pretty laid back interview. Just be ready to brag about yourself a little bit and meet some (hopefully) future classmates.

To everyone that had Feb 5th, 6th and 7th interviews...the word is we will not be getting calls or letters until at least the end of the week. This is the same thing I have been told the last 2 weeks so it is entirely possible we won't hear anything until after the March interviews are done...

Is this wait driving anyone else crazy?

My interview is getting closer. March 12th. Im really excited and ready for it to be here already. Anybody have any tips for me??