Oklahoma State University (OSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those of you who got accepted off of the waitlist, did you get a phone call or an email?

Phone call

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
....is there a link?? Lol

It seems it's taken a few weeks for everyone to be added. No link. No worries though, just pass your info along to Sarah and she'll let the admins know

Reactions: 1 user
It seems it's taken a few weeks for everyone to be added. No link. No worries though, just pass your info along to Sarah and she'll let the admins know

Thanks! I gotta try to figure out a place to live and move out to OK now. Super excited.

I got an email instead of phone call, but that was probably because I was out of the US at the time

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
What are your stats if you got off the waitlist? I kind of wish they said how many were on it and how many had gotten off.

For those on the wait list: How are y'all handling your housing? Are you just putting down a deposit to reserve an apartment, just going ahead and signing a lease, or holding out until the last moment to find an apartment? I am just curious, because it is causing a big dilemma for me especially since I would like to find roommate(s) to reduce housing cost.

Does anyone know if they made the "final wait list" yet? I've heard that in April they cut it down to a small number of people. Anyone know how many seats are still open?

I contacted OSU to ask about how many people were on the waitlist and whether there had been any movement. They said all of that is confidential information. Maghin also said that hte final waitlist is released towards the end of this month. I haven't even looked at housing. I did secure housing for the school that I have gotten into (KCU) since that's where I am heading from my situation right now.

FYI for those on the wait list or worried about a place to live- Went to Tulsa to secure an apartment today. Still plenty available along riverside with many new remodels. Westport said they are starting to receive their annual flood of applications so put one in to get a spot on the waitlist if that is your desired location. Good luck everyone!

So for those who were accepted off of the waitlist this month, what did you do while you were still on it? Did you send them updates? Did you do more volunteer/shadowing work? I am still on it and was wondering if you had any tips to give?

Members don't see this ad :)
So for those who were accepted off of the waitlist this month, what did you do while you were still on it? Did you send them updates? Did you do more volunteer/shadowing work? I am still on it and was wondering if you had any tips to give?

During my time on the waitlist I was working and got another publication so I sent that in. I also had talked to Maghin and she had told me that the weakness in my application was lack of volunteering hours since my masters. I started volunteering at a free clinic in OKC and sent in my updated publication and volunteer hours. Personally, I think volunteering at a free clinic where you can actually be hands on is better than volunteering at a hospital with minimal patient interaction.

My tip is to send in updates frequently when you have them. I would also send a letter of intent if you are certain you would go to OSU if accepted.

Reactions: 1 users
Have they cut the waitlist yet? If not, any idea on when they will or when will they meet next for admission?

You can call Sarah and ask. I bugged the crap out of her probably every 2 weeks from my interview in February till I was accepted off the Waitlist in June. She would tell me what she could, but even when she couldn't tell me anything, knowing there was 'no news' was enough 'good news' to keep my head up. After I was accepted I apologized to her at Admitted Students' Day for bugging her so much. She laughed and said I wasn't bugging her, it's her job to answer questions. She said she gets 'many' calls a day, so, it's not going to hurt you to call =)

Have they cut the waitlist yet? If not, any idea on when they will or when will they meet next for admission?
Maghin told me a few weeks ago that it would be "trimmed at the end of this month" but I haven't heard anything. I wonder if they tell you if you made it to the final list or only alert you if you get cut off.

Hey, long time lurker here.... I spoke to Sarah today and she said the final wait list should come out soon and everyone will be notified via email whether you make it or are taken off of it. I know any information helps in a time like this!

Well good luck to everyone! I know it's rough getting passed up. My wife was accepted the same year I was rejected...we both found out the same day. If you don't get in, use the next year to become a better candidate. I enrolled in the OSU-CHS bio-med graduate program, shadowed for about 2 additional weeks over a 1 month period with an OSU pediatrician and got a strong letter from him, I worked as a nurse aide (required 2 week certificate course), and worked with OSU-CHS on an outreach project for underserved kids as an OSU graduate student.

The graduate enrollment is not necessary to 'strengthen' your application at all and won't guarantee you a spot either, but, you get to actually sit in on all the Biomedical Foundation courses the medical students take and are graded the same way. If you perform well, you have that much more ammo to show you can make it. You also will likely know the professors when you sit in on your interview. When you are accepted, the credits transfer and your first semester is Anatomy and OMM only. I hope everyone following this thread makes it, but if you don't, those were the changes I made to get accepted the following year.

Reactions: 1 users
I know someone that got their acceptance phone call yesterday. It was to the dual/degree program, but I don't see how that would make the acceptance calls any different.

Looking at last years thread, the final acceptances were sent out on June 3rd and reapplication letters were received by those not accepted on June 7th.

Well I kept my hopes up! Maybe there is still time!

Oh ya don't give up hope-I'd even suggest continued shadowing/volunteering and application updates! There is a girl in my class who was accepted after somebody released their spot a week before class...the girl accepted was married, lived in Russia and has a family with kids. They moved to America a week before school. Another girl got accepted IN THE MIDDLE OF ORIENTATION, after the girl I sat next to the first 2 days of orientation got accepted to OU and released her spot. Miracles happen...2 of them happened to girls I consider friends---just keep updating and make yourself the MOST COMPETITIVE next choice!!!

During my time on the waitlist I was working and got another publication so I sent that in. I also had talked to Maghin and she had told me that the weakness in my application was lack of volunteering hours since my masters. I started volunteering at a free clinic in OKC and sent in my updated publication and volunteer hours. Personally, I think volunteering at a free clinic where you can actually be hands on is better than volunteering at a hospital with minimal patient interaction.

My tip is to send in updates frequently when you have them. I would also send a letter of intent if you are certain you would go to OSU if accepted.

Hey duck,

Do you mind sharing which clinic you volunteered in?

Hey duck,

Do you mind sharing which clinic you volunteered in?

I volunteered at Crossings Community Clinic. A few of my friends volunteered at Manos Juntas though and also got in. Some got into OU and others OSU.

I started an EMT class at OSU-OKC, should I send an update about doing that even though I won't be finished until August?

I started an EMT class at OSU-OKC, should I send an update about doing that even though I won't be finished until August?

Yes I would send that in for sure!

I volunteered at Crossings Community Clinic. A few of my friends volunteered at Manos Juntas though and also got in. Some got into OU and others OSU.
Thanks duck! I'll take a look.

That's good to know, Duck. Which location is it for Crossings? I know a lot of folks do Manos Juntas, but been trying to find somewhere else in the city for experience. I've shadowed at Crossings' dental clinic a few times, but was never introduced to their medical clinic. Would love if you could give some more info, either here or PM.

10255 North Pennsylvania Avenue, Oklahoma City, OK 73120

That's the address for Crossings. It's in north okc close to Lake Hefner. There's a lady there named Beverly that does the orientation for the medical clinic. Looks like to get setup you just click the first time volunteers button and send an email to them. I pasted the link to that below:

http://crossings.church/clinic/#donate

Anybody know how many people might be on the final waitlist? I got the email this morning.

Anybody know how many people might be on the final waitlist? I got the email this morning.
Got mine too. While I'm disappointed, I'm glad to have been at least further considered. You accepted anywhere else Rufnek?

Well, that makes three of us thus far! I am super excited to still be on a list for consideration. I e-mailed her to see if OSU could release the number of final wait list applicants and/or their wait list position. Fingers crossed, boys and girls, let's hope we all get in! =D

Well, that makes three of us thus far! I am super excited to still be on a list for consideration. I e-mailed her to see if OSU could release the number of final wait list applicants and/or their wait list position. Fingers crossed, boys and girls, let's hope we all get in! =D
Do you have any other acceptances?

Sadly no, I'm waitlisted here and OU
Same boat. I hope we both get in somewhere! I had a preferred choice but at this point I'd be exctatic to be accepted to either Oklahoma school

Hey team! Just dropping in to say hello and that I'm excited to be studying medicine with you all over the next four years.

Reactions: 2 users
TROLLLLL hahaha.

Just messin. But...

Stats are for quiters. If you feel like you have a shot at OSU go for it. I know some people with high stats that are in, and some with low. But we all have great experiences and stories. So if you have a good story, unique experiences, and can express WHY osu then go for it!

Just messin. But...

Stats are for quiters. If you feel like you have a shot at OSU go for it. I know some people with high stats that are in, and some with low. But we all have great experiences and stories. So if you have a good story, unique experiences, and can express WHY osu then go for it!
haha yeah but I mean stats are still important, otherwise everyone would get in everywhere haha.