Philadelphia COM - Georgia (GA-PCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed 1/13 and still havent gotten an acceptance or rejection letter yet. The school was closed yesterday and today and most likely will be tomorrow. Does anyone know for sure? I'm tired of waiting!
Nope, they posted on Facebook that they'll be open tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad.

To those accepted,

Have you guys started trying to fulfill the pre-matriculation requirements? I went on the Nucleus but there doesn't seem to be anything posted for background check, registration, etc.... I dont want to miss any deadlines but I dont see anything posted?

The medical forms that need to be filled out are buried in Nucleus. As for the background check, I received an email saying that they'd contact us with further instructions later. They also said that as long as everything is in eight weeks before classes start, you're fine.

I haven't even made the doctor's appointment to have my physical yet, if that helps.

The medical forms that need to be filled out are buried in Nucleus. As for the background check, I received an email saying that they'd contact us with further instructions later. They also said that as long as everything is in eight weeks before classes start, you're fine.

I haven't even made the doctor's appointment to have my physical yet, if that helps.
So do you think we still have plenty of time to get the Medical History Questionnaire to them or know of any deadlines? I looked for a deadline for that but couldn't find one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another student said in the c/o 2018 Facebook group that she called and they told her just get it in 8 weeks before classes start. As for the Background check, they'll notify us. They haven't provided any further info. 'Tis a mystery.

If you can get into Nucleus, the all that info that's available is under the New Student tab > Georgia Campus: Osteopathic Medicine (DO) > Requirements

You join the Facebook group?

Another student said in the c/o 2018 Facebook group that she called and they told her just get it in 8 weeks before classes start. As for the Background check, they'll notify us. They haven't provided any further info. 'Tis a mystery.

If you can get into Nucleus, the all that info that's available is under the New Student tab > Georgia Campus: Osteopathic Medicine (DO) > Requirements

You join the Facebook group?
Thanks I appreciate it! I found the New Students tab but was unsure about it since it said Class of 2017. Just now joined the facebook group!

Reactions: 1 user
Yea, they haven't made a new tab for the class of 2018 yet. But the forms are the same.

Holy cow!... Just got an interview offer from PCOM-GA!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I love this campus! Interview today went great! Hopefully it will be good enough to get in. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
I have my interview at 11AM 02/10, i'm freaking out! :scared:

Hey guys for those of y'all who have been accepted congratulations! I am a current 2nd year at the GA campus and will be looking to rent out my house for the 2013-2014 school year while I'm on my 3rd / 4th year rotation. It is a fully furnished, 2 bedroom 2.5 bath townhouse that is less than a mile from school. The neighborhood is super quiet, so you'll have the option of studying at home or taking a 30 sec drive to school (let's be real, nobody walks in GA).

If you're interested in renting out my house or if you have any questions about the school in general, please do not hesitate to contact me at [email protected]

Good luck and Congrats again!

Does anyone have a recommendation for a hotel here? I'm flying in this weekend.

There's a Courtyard right up the road, they're generally pretty good. Don't stay at the Hyatt Place, it was awful.

Check Priceline or Expedia for good rates.

The red roof inn off 85 wasn't great, but it was about $50.
Can you clarify on that (ex: not clean, etc.)? I saw a nearby motel 6 for $50. Is red roof inn better than motel 6?

There's a Courtyard right up the road, they're generally pretty good. Don't stay at the Hyatt Place, it was awful.

Check Priceline or Expedia for good rates.
I saw $119+tax for courtyard? Is it the one?

Can you clarify on that (ex: not clean, etc.)? I saw a nearby motel 6 for $50. Is red roof inn better than motel 6?
I've only stayed at the one, sorry for a lack of comparison.

It was relatively clean, but it was a non-smoking room with a slight odor of having been smoked in. About a mile away from campus, but a block or so from Walmart (I had to grab some stuff) and a block the other way from a nice Waffle House.

I saw $119+tax for courtyard? Is it the one?

The one on Celebration Dr.

My litmus test for a "good hotel" is whether or not I'd walk barefoot in my room. Red Roof and Motel 6 do not meet that standard, IMO.

The one on Celebration Dr.

My litmus test for a "good hotel" is whether or not I'd walk barefoot in my room. Red Roof and Motel 6 do not meet that standard, IMO.

We will have to agree to disagree on that. Red roof was more than fine.

Besides, it's one night.

Yea, to each his own. It's probably my obsessive hang ups about cleanliness in that regard.

The Red Roof is about $50, and it includes the roaches...for free.

Reactions: 2 users
How to spend your free time while in your room at the red roof:
809256.jpg

Not sure if you guys know or not, but my friend who is a current first year at GA-PCOM told me that they changed their policy on failing classes. Now if you fail a class you are automatically kicked out!! NO MORE REMEDIATION POLICY!!!! SO SCARY!!

I will likely take this off my list.

Those that decide to go--hope you go with no regrets, and if you fail a class and are kicked out, hate to be the one that said "Told ya so" :/

Not sure if you guys know or not, but my friend who is a current first year at GA-PCOM told me that they changed their policy on failing classes. Now if you fail a class you are automatically kicked out!! NO MORE REMEDIATION POLICY!!!! SO SCARY!!

Those that decide to go--hope you go with no regrets, and if you fail a class and are kicked out, hate to be the one that said "Told ya so" :/
The current policy is in the handbook, available online, and it does not say any of this "automatic kick out" at all. They have the power to do it but it is up to the admin. If you read the handbook of other COMs, they are similar, they reserve the right to kick you out, and that's fine. For me, I'm not too worried about this either, I'm personally more focused on thinking what strategy I will use to ace all my classes.

Call the courtyard directly. The PCOM rate is $75
Thanks, I just did. Turned out it was the same one with the $119 rate. PCOM has a different address on their website

The current policy is in the handbook, available online, and it does not say any of this "automatic kick out" at all. They have the power to do it but it is up to the admin. If you read the handbook of other COMs, they are similar, they reserve the right to kick you out, and that's fine. For me, I'm not too worried about this either, I'm personally more focused on thinking what strategy I will use to ace all my classes.

That is cool and all, but the policy as I said has RECENTLY changed. You can contact Trena in admissions for confirmation if you want proof.

No other school I know of kicks people out automatically without remediation if you fail ONE class. Maybe in the Caribbean! HAha

Waitlisted?

Reactions: 3 users
That is cool and all, but the policy as I said has RECENTLY changed. You can contact Trena in admissions for confirmation if you want proof.

No other school I know of kicks people out automatically without remediation if you fail ONE class. Maybe in the Caribbean! HAha
That's cool, but like I said I think is better to focus on how you'll pass and trust your skills than to fear your classes and worry about failing one or more, or be nervous about the policies that are in place. Hey for all you know they can change next semester as well. This kind of vision makes for a poor strategy. Sure, things can happen, but first things first.

Anyone happen to know when or how often the adcom meets?

Did you call and confirm? I'm skeptical of this policy as well. It sounds like something from a game of Round Robin that started off with some student being dismissed due to failing a class after having a number of other issues or not.disclosing that he/she failed numerous classes before.

At any rate, even if it's policy, I'm not worried. I'll be more focused on being top of the class. Holla!!

As far as I know (i'm a current student), this absolutely isn't true in my experience. Before you make any decisions you should call and check. Sounds like someone really bombed a couple of classes.

Also, its very hard to fail a class, I cannot fathom how people manage to do it.

cancelled my interview early this morning. Hope it goes to one of you guys waiting.

Does anyone know how the weather/driving condition is now? Is there snow?

Does anyone know how the weather/driving condition is now? Is there snow?
No snow, the sun is out actually and it's really warm. The weather for tomorrow calls for rain but not cold enough to freeze. I would prepare for possible freezing though just in case. Good luck tomorrow

Do you guys know how much longer they'll be interviewing? Or when the final interviews will be sent out?

First time poster :) What I have heard about PCOM GA is something similar (but not exactly the same). If you fail just one class, you have to REPEAT the entire year. That means you repeat everything. This means you are no longer in the same residency cycle. They no longer do remediation. From what I know, most schools do allow you to do remediation. I personally wouldn't want to retake the whole year but maybe some people could see that as a good thing.

Just call the school, you dont have to take my word for it or anyone else's. This is the internet after all.

To be concerned with remediation policies is a dangerous mentality to have, in my humble opinion.

As a prospective student, the last thing I'm worried about is what type of consequence will follow if I fail a class.