UF c/o 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone! I was just wondering about the number of OOS spots Florida has...I was looking at the c/o 2015 applicant stats page on UF's website and it says that 78 were invited to interview and then 30something actually interviewed and then 12 were in the class of 2015.....If they only have 12 OOS spots, does that mean that they have already almost filled the OOS portion of the class for this year? I know that they have already given a decent amount of OOS acceptances after that early round of interviews (about 10 people have posted on the c/o 2016 acceptance thread). I'm OOS and interviewing on the 11th so I guess I'm just starting to freak out and think that I have a large chance of getting rejected after my interview :( If anyone knows exactly how many spots they have for OOS or what the chance of acceptance after an interview is, please let me know!

Also, lots of :luck: to everyone interviewing!!

At the interview, we were informed they are raising the amount of OOS spots to 20. So now, they have to make more offers than in previous years.If you look at the stats, they accepted more people into the college than spots available.

Also, so far what is listed is that 3 OOS peeps have been admitted to FL.

I know they really want to fill those 20 spots (since $45,000 of tuition for OOS must be paid all 4 years due to a law change in 2009) I imagine they will offer at least 35 spots.

Good luck to you, and don't worry, there are great reasons about your application as to why they invited you to interview!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
At the interview, we were informed they are raising the amount of OOS spots to 20. So now, they have to make more offers than in previous years.If you look at the stats, they accepted more people into the college than spots available.

Also, so far what is listed is that 3 OOS peeps have been admitted to FL.

I know they really want to fill those 20 spots (since $45,000 of tuition for OOS must be paid all 4 years due to a law change in 2009) I imagine they will offer at least 35 spots.

Good luck to you, and don't worry, there are great reasons about your application as to why they invited you to interview!

Thank you!! :) Got any interview tips?? haha I've obviously stalked SDN enough to go over all of the past interview questions, but if you have any more advice, I'm all ears! :p

Honestly what screwed up my interview were my nerves. If you can just relax and be yourself, you will do great. Don't undersell yourself or experiences. Do not tell them what you think they want to hear, because you will not be natural.

I did not personally enjoy the questions. I did not know that they had not looked at my file. They said to describe activities I have done, which I think is a ridiculous question because I could talk about that for the entire interview alone. I think your interview will be different, as now they have done full packet reviews.

There were a couple ethics questions. I hope the interviews for you are not 50 mins long! Oh endurance! Also, the week I went, the new associate dean position was being interviewed for, so I did not get the same interviewers as mentioned earlier on this thread. I did get Wamsbley, but not Dr. Farina. Dr. Wambsley is really nice and has a great sense of humor. She helped ease the pain. The student interviewing me was very friendly too. There was a vet from out of town, and I think she was playing the "bad cop". Dont let it get you down if someone appears that way.

I really think my interview could have gone better had I practiced some. I went to Ohio for an interview a few weeks later and I knew I nailed it. I really could see the drastic difference by just being myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, do not let my bad experience affect you as to how you go into looking at it. Of the other two girls there interviewing, one said it went really well, while the other seemed like she had an iffy one.

I really think you control how it goes. Stay positive and confident. Let them know you have done your homework and take the field seriously! Best of luck!!

Also, do not let my bad experience affect you as to how you go into looking at it. Of the other two girls there interviewing, one said it went really well, while the other seemed like she had an iffy one.

I really think you control how it goes. Stay positive and confident. Let them know you have done your homework and take the field seriously! Best of luck!!

Thank you SO much for the advice! From what I've seen on here, they are all 50 min :eek: don't really know how I can talk that long, but I guess I'll figure it out...I'm just hoping I can put my nerves away long enough to get a few words out...

Thank you SO much for the advice! From what I've seen on here, they are all 50 min :eek: don't really know how I can talk that long, but I guess I'll figure it out...I'm just hoping I can put my nerves away long enough to get a few words out...

In the interview invite email they told us it would be 50 minutes long...

Mine was 50 minutes last year and they have enough questions for it to last the whole time. Don't worry about filling up that time, that's their job. Your only job is to answer the questions and look like you're confident and have social skills. Just take a breath before every answer, collect your thoughts and start answering :)

I think mine was about 50 minutes, but they had a lot of questions and follow up questions, so it went by pretty quick. For ethical questions, don't be afraid to stop and think for a second instead of just jumping in. It's better to know where you're going with the response than to answer instantaneously. They were all really nice so I wouldn't freak out too much!

Honestly what screwed up my interview were my nerves. If you can just relax and be yourself, you will do great. Don't undersell yourself or experiences. Do not tell them what you think they want to hear, because you will not be natural.

This is the most important advice in my opinion. That and relax, because it isn't meant to be high pressure. Act naturally and give your real opinions on the topics they bring up. I think they appreciate genuine thoughts, as opposed to cookie cutter answers - I know I would. Help them understand who you are and how you think.

Also worth noting, the questions you will find from previous years on SDN are outdated because they updated their interview questions this year. When I interviewed this year, only one person had seen my application, and they alternated questions between the three of them. The only question worth preparing in my opinion is what your strengths and weaknesses are, but expect questions about ethics in hypothetical scenarios.

Relax and be yourself. I had a fun day!

Also worth noting, the questions you will find from previous years on SDN are outdated because they updated their interview questions this year. When I interviewed this year, only one person had seen my application, and they alternated questions between the three of them. The only question worth preparing in my opinion is what your strengths and weaknesses are, but expect questions about ethics in hypothetical scenarios.

Relax and be yourself. I had a fun day!

I think your interview will be different, as now they have done full packet reviews.

Ok so they updated new questions this year but are they still all behaviorial? In addition, you guys are saying that some of the interviewers have seen our files, so it is not a totally closed interview?

Ok so they updated new questions this year but are they still all behaviorial? In addition, you guys are saying that some of the interviewers have seen our files, so it is not a totally closed interview?

Mine had my file in front of them in a folder and when I walked in they said that they had skimmed over the file in 5 min or less so they didn't know much about me, so they wanted me to talk to them with the assumption that they didn't know about my activities. Grades and questions about specific things I did were not brought up in questions--only when I wanted to bring them up as an example. It seemed to me that the questions were very similar at times to the ones on the interview feedback page.

I really liked the interview process at UF. I felt like the interview really gave enough time for you to calm down and become yourself. I know when I interviewed at some schools, the moment my nerves were settled was the moment the interview was over. I think I spend approximately one hour in the room. I sat with a junior student, a PHD professor who taught a class here, and a DVM from the surrounding area. They asked me every type of question ranging from ethics to hypothetical situations. I heard that some people were asked odd questions like, "If you were a color, which would you be and why?".... I don't really know how I would have answered those. I interviewed several years ago and things may have changed a little bit since then. The very last question they asked me before I left the room was, "If you don't get into vet school this year, what would you do?" Weird, right? Well don't worry too much because I got in... so don't freak out waiting for your certified letter in the mail just because they ask you a question like that one.

If you get in, make sure that you think this school is a good fit for you. I can't imagine what life would be like if I didn't love this school. You literally live here. If vet school is going to kick your butt. If you're going to get your butt kicked, you may as well be in and around a place you like with people you like.

If you don't get in, please don't think it is a direct reflection on you. Some of the smartest people in my class were people who took a few years to get in. I don't understand why they didn't get in the first year they applied, but it didn't happen. Sometimes selection just seems arbitrary. I didn't get into my instate school but got into Florida and a friend of mine from Florida got into my state school and was rejected from Florida. Go figure!

Good luck you guys! Don't let your nerves get the best of you!

I've read all the interview questions on SDN for Florida... But I heard that they revised the questions. Can anyone post a few of the questions you were asked? I have my interview on the 4th and am nervoussssssss because I have no idea how I would answer questions like "Describe a time when you made an unpopular decision" or "Describe a time when you stood up for something you believe in"...

Members don't see this ad :)
I've read all the interview questions on SDN for Florida... But I heard that they revised the questions. Can anyone post a few of the questions you were asked? I have my interview on the 4th and am nervoussssssss because I have no idea how I would answer questions like "Describe a time when you made an unpopular decision" or "Describe a time when you stood up for something you believe in"...

I have a feeling you won't find too many people willing to give you an advantage by giving you questions that they were not able to prepare for either. Maybe a few, but you have to remember we are all being interviewed against each other with new questions none of us have seen. Not to mention I'm sure the questions one of us gets, won't necesarily be the same as the next person. I would look online for general questions, be prepared with the usual interview questions, and be yourself. That's the most important thing. They know you are nervous, so just try and relax and be yourself.

Do any current students (Bearby, anyone else) know if I would be able to sit in on a class on Friday? My interview is not until Saturday (the 11th), but I'm getting into Gainesville Friday afternoon and would love to check out a class. I'm going to call on Monday and see if it would be possible, just wanted to get a feel on here first.

Do any current students (Bearby, anyone else) know if I would be able to sit in on a class on Friday? My interview is not until Saturday (the 11th), but I'm getting into Gainesville Friday afternoon and would love to check out a class. I'm going to call on Monday and see if it would be possible, just wanted to get a feel on here first.

Let me know what they say! I was hoping to do the same thing on the Friday before my interview (the 3rd).

I have no idea if that would be allowed. I don't think it has been done before. (At least not in our year.) On the 3rd we have hematology and renal. On the 10th we have musculoskeletal and renal. Definitely call and ask. Their only concern may be that there won't be enough seats for extra people since we're already at max capacity in that room but since every single person doesn't go to class every day there will be extra seats. Also, it would prob have to be in the morning since we have lab on the 3rd and 10th in the afternoons.

I have no idea if that would be allowed. I don't think it has been done before. (At least not in our year.) On the 3rd we have hematology and renal. On the 10th we have musculoskeletal and renal. Definitely call and ask. Their only concern may be that there won't be enough seats for extra people since we're already at max capacity in that room but since every single person doesn't go to class every day there will be extra seats. Also, it would prob have to be in the morning since we have lab on the 3rd and 10th in the afternoons.

Boo, okay. I don't think I'm going to be getting in until the afternoon sometime (my flight lands at 11 or so). But thanks for letting me know :D

Boo, okay. I don't think I'm going to be getting in until the afternoon sometime (my flight lands at 11 or so). But thanks for letting me know :D

Yeah same here. Thanks so much, Chinola! :D

I have a feeling you won't find too many people willing to give you an advantage by giving you questions that they were not able to prepare for either. Maybe a few, but you have to remember we are all being interviewed against each other with new questions none of us have seen. Not to mention I'm sure the questions one of us gets, won't necesarily be the same as the next person. I would look online for general questions, be prepared with the usual interview questions, and be yourself. That's the most important thing. They know you are nervous, so just try and relax and be yourself.

Three people, including myself, submitted interview feedback on SDN following the early interview process this cycle. Just look at the date in the interview feedback and you will find about 10 questions from this cycle. Overall, I greatly preferred the questions they asked me to the ones I had read on SDN before my interview. I didn't get any of those strange "If you were a color/animal/superhero..." questions. As I recall, they are mostly general information/future intent questions and there were a lot of hypothetical scenarios based around ethics. My interview was very laid back and forgiving. So just as you said, relax and be yourself.

Someone on the interview feedback for the December interviews posted that she (he?) had a full day of interview activities. I only received info about a tour and a "debrief" immediately following the interview. Am I missing something? Or was the day's activities only for the early interviews?

Someone on the interview feedback for the December interviews posted that she (he?) had a full day of interview activities. I only received info about a tour and a "debrief" immediately following the interview. Am I missing something? Or was the day's activities only for the early interviews?

This wasn't me, but for the early interviews we had two options-option one was just like what you're doing on the weekend where it was an interview and probably some generic debriefing about the school/a tour. Option 2 was to come on a weekday and spend the whole day at UF. During this option, we were able to shadow 3rd/4th years at clinicals, got a tour, had lunch with the other interviewees that day, met up with the dean, and talked about financial aid stuff with Jonathan. Jonathan said this was a new thing that he hopes to make more wide-scaled in the future but it was just a small trial this year. So, it's my impression that the all day thing was only offered to early interviewers, not to the Feb interviews.

As far as specific questions go that weren't on the feedback, I haven't done the interview feedback yet so a few of my questions were:
-Tell me about yourself
-An owner wants to euthanize a healthy dog, what do you do? Had some followups and more specifics but I don't remember them right now haha
-How do you plan to give back to the community as a vet
-There was a question about how I would deal with a problem where disease ridden primates were released in FL after being brought over from Africa and had been living in a particular forest peacefully for many years but now they are starting to enter residential areas.
-I don't remember the exact scenario, but there was something about working at a clinic as a technician where a certain tech makes some sort of error that may put the animal in danger-I think it was giving the wrong dose of medication. Asked how I would respond to that situation as a tech. Then asked how I would respond to that scenario as a vet. Had a few follow ups.
-What I do for fun
-What my least favorite class was
-What some current events in vet med were

That's all I remember :p Hope it's somewhat helpful-nothing was too off the wall crazy. So grateful they didn't ask me what color I would be or something like that haha.

Thanks mulletsarelove! I hope I can get all my questions answered in the 15 minute debrief...doesn't seem like a lot of time to talk with people about the school (minus the tour, of course).

Thanks mulletsarelove! I hope I can get all my questions answered in the 15 minute debrief...doesn't seem like a lot of time to talk with people about the school (minus the tour, of course).

Jonathan is working on having more activities during interviews. I don't think he had time to put it together for this year for the regular interview dates. You'll have a few opportunities to ask questions: during your interview, during the debriefing and during the tour of the facilities. Last year when I interviewed we had 3 students giving the tour so you can easily walk with one of them and ask questions.

I found that I had a lot of questions after I was accepted to schools and was deciding between them. I sent PMs to students on SDN and I sent FB messages to students that I know that go to the schools I was interested in. That got all of my questions answered.

I don't remember there being a scheduled "debrief" last year but they did bring us all into one of the meeting rooms with Jonathan and he just asked how everyone was doing and if anyone had any weird questions. Like Chinola said, you can ask questions during the tour and you can always message us on here. I stayed with a friend last year who was a 1st year and it was so nice to be able to ask her as soon as things crossed my mind the night before/day of my interview. I'm one of those people who overthinks and will drive myself crazy if I don't get rid of the worry. I don't know if you're staying with a student, but if you are, I can almost guarantee that they'd be willing to answer any questions before or after your interview. I know it's hard to do but just remain calm.

They are increasing class size to 112 this year (this fall). I don't know how many are OOS seats.

Last edited:
I was wondering if any UF students could fill me in on what there is to do in Gainsville besides party and the Gators?

I was wondering if any UF students could fill me in on what there is to do in Gainsville besides party and the Gators?

Nothing.

No, I mean there's the typical shopping, movies, etc. There's a place called Lake Wauberg that has lots of outdoor activities to do like a rock wall, kayaks, and I think grills. We're not far away from places that are more fun, though. Orlando's only an hour and a half away, Tampa, too. Jacksonville's pretty close, as well. I'm not really sure what you're looking for.

I applied In-State so I'm hoping I get in to UF... But its gonna be a rough 4 years being a die-hard SEMINOLE!

I applied In-State so I'm hoping I get in to UF... But its gonna be a rough 4 years being a die-hard SEMINOLE!

AH!!! Same here!! GO NOLES BABY!!!!! :highfive::clap::love:

If we both get in, we can stick together! :D

Hey, I'm a seminole too! :)

lol, I had no idea so many of my fellow Noles were on here! Glad I wont be the only one who bleeds garnet and gold :) BTW my boyfriend thinks that if I get in I should take the FSU decals/alumni plate off my car so I don't get "jumped" (lol, whatever that means)

lol, I had no idea so many of my fellow Noles were on here! Glad I wont be the only one who bleeds garnet and gold :) BTW my boyfriend thinks that if I get in I should take the FSU decals/alumni plate off my car so I don't get "jumped" (lol, whatever that means)

PSH! No way! We got your back!! ;)

I thought that about my UM plate holder but I've had no problems :)

I was thinking about that too w/ my UM plates. I got my window bashed in tallahassee before so Im a bit nervous about this weekend.

I was thinking about that too w/ my UM plates. I got my window bashed in tallahassee before so Im a bit nervous about this weekend.

See this demonstrates a strong difference between Gators and Noles... we dont act so disrespectful and immature. I think it has to do with the higher caliber of student as seen at the University of FL.

Go Gators!!!

That may be so, but you'll have to save your Seminole stuff away for the weekend. It's against the dress code to wear any logos that aren't UF's. I'm a Hokie fan, so I feel your pain. Sorry :(

See this demonstrates a strong difference between Gators and Noles... we dont act so disrespectful and immature. I think it has to do with the higher caliber of student as seen at the University of FL.

Go Gators!!!

I'm hoping this was extremely sarcastic...

That may be so, but you'll have to save your Seminole stuff away for the weekend. It's against the dress code to wear any logos that aren't UF's. I'm a Hokie fan, so I feel your pain. Sorry :(

No one enforces the dress code, at least not in lectures. I know because I'm in violation of it pretty much every day.

Oh boy, do I love state rivalry! No need to get our feathers ruffled. Since we all have to share one state vet school we might as well get along (except on Saturdays during football season, off course!)... Anyway, I have never been so excited about a trip to Gville in my whole life! Less than 48 hours till my interview, good luck to everybody this saturday!!

Hello everyone!

First of all, congratulations to all those coming to UF this Fall! I was recently accepted to the college of medicine, and I've noticed a lot of interest from people looking to find roommates in other disciplines. I just created a "UF Professional Students Seeking Roommates" facebook group to give students of all kinds a place to connect. Also, if someone wouldn't mind posting this on the class of 2016 fb group, that would be amazing. Thanks! If you're interested, please join!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/354152051269294/

And again...CONGRATULATIONS AND GO GATORS! :soexcited:

Is anyone else here still on the wait list for interviews, or am I the only one?

Is anybody interviewing on February 11th? Getting nervous!! :scared:

Is UF still doing behavioral interviews?? Getting mixed messages...

Good luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow!! :luck::luck::luck:

Theres so much to do in Gainesville!! I'm currently a senior at UF and im applying to UF CVM this cycle but as an OOS (I'm from Maryland). Anyhow, I moved here to gville in the fall of 2008. I absolutely love it here and wouldn't want to be anywhere else! Theres always so much going on! We have the best sports team so whether you love football, basketball, track, soccer, lacrosse, baseball, softball we have it!! Theres also two areas to go out in; midtown and downtown. Midtown is what we call the shops/restaurants/bars right across the street from campus and downtown is the actually downtown city of gainesville. It's 13 blocks from the campus but its really not that far of a walk! There are so many different types of clubs, bars, hang outs that whatever type of music/scene your into, we have a place you can go! Theres the Paynes Praire State Park which is 10 min from campus that has hiking/biking trails. Then theres also a part that UF owns called Lake Wauhburg which has boat/kayaks you can rent and take out onto the lake. Were also about an hour and 15 min from St. Augustine which has the most beautiful downtown area and beach! Like someone else said, were within two hours from Orlando and Tampa so its a really easy drive for a week in the big cities! If you have any other questions about gainesville, feel free to ask!! i absolutely love this place! :)

Is anybody interviewing on February 11th? Getting nervous!! :scared:

I'm interviewing tomorrow!!! EEEee!!! I'm not really feeling nervous yet... but I'll see how I feel tomorrow morning. I'm just hoping I can get words out that form intelligible sentences (that preferably answer the questions being asked). If that happens I'll be happy. Anyone else interviewing tomorrow???