UFCVM c/o 2026 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any recommendations for being a vet student and having two dogs while in school? I have a feeling like we’ll be spending a lot of our time on campus 😅 how do current vet students deal with it?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Any recommendations for being a vet student and having two dogs while in school? I have a feeling like we’ll be spending a lot of our time on campus 😅 how do current vet students deal with it?
I’ve had that same worry. I’ve been working as an anesthesia tech at UF so I’ve worked alongside a lot of students doing their clinical rotations and a majority of them have dogs. They hardest part seems to be when you’re on clinics because you will be spending 12-14 hours there on some rotations. A lot of students will help each other out and walk each other’s dogs for them etc. Since UF does the split rotations (start rotations end of 2nd year then go back to the classroom from spring of 3rd year til spring of 4th) I heard from a few students how they were happy to go back to the classroom since they would have more time at home with their pet and could not spend money having a dog walker.

My boyfriend and I are taking a trip to Gainesville to look for a place the first week of April. Neither of us have ever been! Any cool places or food spots recommended? We’ve both been in Tallahassee for a few years and need some new spots since we’re moving 😎

Members don't see this ad :)
My boyfriend and I are taking a trip to Gainesville to look for a place the first week of April. Neither of us have ever been! Any cool places or food spots recommended? We’ve both been in Tallahassee for a few years and need some new spots since we’re moving 😎
For food -
Boca fiesta
The top
Piesanos
Satchels
Momoyaki
Harry’s
Social

The breweries in town are great and have good food trucks usually
Swamphead
First magnitude
Cypress and grove

• Love
For food -
Boca fiesta
The top
Piesanos
Satchels
Momoyaki
Harry’s
Social

The breweries in town are great and have good food trucks usually
Swamphead
First magnitude
Cypress and grove
Thank you!!! Definitely gonna check some of those out !

While I do not own a dog myself, I have multiple friends who take their dogs to doggy daycare at Camp Run-A-Mutt during the days when we have to be in class for long periods of time! I have heard nothing but good things about them!

Has anyone ever had aid awarded being a first year? I completed my fafsa last week and I’m just wondering if there’s any chance to get anything other than a loan. Also, when are loans usually awarded and when is tuition due?

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone ever had aid awarded being a first year? I completed my fafsa last week and I’m just wondering if there’s any chance to get anything other than a loan. Also, when are loans usually awarded and when is tuition due?
There are some scholarships that will be available for you guys to apply for as a first year, but there are very few available unfortunately. Most are reserved for second years and up. And with the FAFSA, to get most merit or need based scholarships you need to have it filled out very early. I don't recall the exact deadline, but I think it's either in December, January, or February, but the sooner you fill it out when it opens, the better chance you have at getting a scholarship is what I have been told. You will find out a lot more information about when loans come out and when tuition is due during your online orientation in May (which is separate from your in person orientation in August). But if you plan on taking out loans to cover tuition costs, then the loans will automatically apply to your tuition without you having to do much other than accept the loans when they pop up in your financial aid package, and you will be given whatever is leftover that was not used to pay tuition.

When will we receive our financial aid loans? I already filled out FAFSA and it was processed. They also don’t say how much I’m approved for, so how/when do we know that?

Hey guys! I was wondering if I am missing any emails? I accepted a couple of days ago, but have not received an email to set up my gator link

Hey guys! I was wondering if I am missing any emails? I accepted a couple of days ago, but have not received an email to set up my gator link
I got an email from Lynnette after accepting with a link to the facebook group and I got an email a few days ago with info on how to set up my gator link. It wasn’t right after i accepted though, so it’s probably still coming!

Current students, where do you typically take your pets for veterinary care? I'd like to establish a relationship with a local vet for my 2 cats. :)
I use the low cost clinic because I'm poor but I recommend suburban and archer. We've used town and country for our guinea pig.

Classes are recorded, clinic schedules vary and unless it's ECC, ICU, FARMS, or internal med I've heard you have time. Class wise I watched from home and walked my dog between classes. I have a partner and he walks my dog when I'm not home but a lot of people pay a dog walker or if they are close go home during break to walk them. Your only mandatory time on campus is labs and maybe a mandatory class or two. Make vet school work for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Couple questions:

1. Filling out the FASFA, is it important to put parents info or assets? Will it make a difference? Any tips?
2. Is there access to an online portal yet?

Couple questions:

1. Filling out the FASFA, is it important to put parents info or assets? Will it make a difference? Any tips?
2. Is there access to an online portal yet?
Some loans/financial aid requires parent info but you’ll be able to get the standard aid regardless. I think you need parent info to get a certain type of low-interest loan. Assets I don’t think matters as much.

This is kind of a random question, but what do students usually do between their first and second year of vet school? I know that the summer between second and third year is clinics, but I am trying to think of what I would do during that first summer. Thanks!

This is kind of a random question, but what do students usually do between their first and second year of vet school? I know that the summer between second and third year is clinics, but I am trying to think of what I would do during that first summer. Thanks!
Anything you want! I know people who are doing externships, working at clinics, doing summer research at the school through FVSP, doing SeaVet if they’re in the aquatics certificate, taking online classes for some of the certificate programs, traveling, or just plain relaxing! It’s a good time to get some research done or make connections at clinics if you’re interested in specializing or working there in the future, but it is entirely up to you and what you want to do.

Anything you want! I know people who are doing externships, working at clinics, doing summer research at the school through FVSP, doing SeaVet if they’re in the aquatics certificate, taking online classes for some of the certificate programs, traveling, or just plain relaxing! It’s a good time to get some research done or make connections at clinics if you’re interested in specializing or working there in the future, but it is entirely up to you and what you want to do.
Ok thank you!! :)

Has anyone heard of OOS waitlist movement yet?
I just emailed Lynette to decline my OOS seat. Best of luck to both of y'all! As much as I would really love going to Florida, my IS option is just so much cheaper.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone taken or know who has taken any of Patrick Larsen's classes? I just want to know if it's beneficial to review the material before vet school.

Is anyone on here on the IS waitlist? Unfortunately, that's where I reside... I'm not sure if I even have a chance of getting moved off. Could use some encouragement rn!!

Is anyone on here on the IS waitlist? Unfortunately, that's where I reside... I'm not sure if I even have a chance of getting moved off. Could use some encouragement rn!!
I am on the IS waitlist and feel the same way. UF is my last chance. Just a small amount of encouragement for you, this cycle I was also waitlisted for an interview at UF. I was lucky enough to be pulled off and I was able to continue. I was told that can be a harder list to be taken off of because people didn’t have much to lose doing a Zoom interview and so didn’t decline the opportunity. Keep your chin up and remember that we made it really far, we are still a part of a small percentage of applicants who did not get immediately denied.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to add one more thing. I have a really good childhood friend who has always been my cheerleader. When I told her I was waitlisted the first thing that came out of her mouth was “omg congratulations”. I was confused because… waitlist isn’t good news. She was the one who put it in perspective that although I didn’t get a yes, I have come so far and I should celebrate that. Its hard to see the positives but having someone reassure you that its okay can be refreshing.

Reactions: 4 users
I am on the IS waitlist and feel the same way. UF is my last chance. Just a small amount of encouragement for you, this cycle I was also waitlisted for an interview at UF. I was lucky enough to be pulled off and I was able to continue. I was told that can be a harder list to be taken off of because people didn’t have much to lose doing a Zoom interview and so didn’t decline the opportunity. Keep your chin up and remember that we made it really far, we are still a part of a small percentage of applicants who did not get immediately denied.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to add one more thing. I have a really good childhood friend who has always been my cheerleader. When I told her I was waitlisted the first thing that came out of her mouth was “omg congratulations”. I was confused because… waitlist isn’t good news. She was the one who put it in perspective that although I didn’t get a yes, I have come so far and I should celebrate that. Its hard to see the positives but having someone reassure you that its okay can be refreshing.
Thank you! Yea I know it’s still an accomplishment but the waiting game is so taxing… I’m mentally exhausted from the first time waiting and now even more waiting lol. Not sure about you but I’ve had no relief since my interview!! I’m still debating on whether to go to the preview or not? I really want to go but in a way I’m not sure if it will make me feel better or worse☹️ I’m really happy for everyone that got in though! Such a BIG accomplishment and I’m rooting for all of you😊

Hey guys,

For the UF preview day it says the attire is buisness professional. Has anyone gone to the days before and can confirm this or are others going tomorrow that will be wearing suits?

Hey guys,

For the UF preview day it says the attire is buisness professional. Has anyone gone to the days before and can confirm this or are others going tomorrow that will be wearing suits?
Yes, I went to the first preview day and everyone was wearing business professional.

Might be a weird question, but are any health services included in the cost of tuition? At my undergrad at UCF tuition included a health fee where you could go to the university's health center for a lowered cost. Does UF have something similar?

I apply in next year’s cycle and I was wondering for the students who got accepted, if they had any tips on how to get accepted at UF?

Has anyone been called off the waitlist? I really need a happy ending story right now lol IS waitlist!!

I was called off the OOS waitlist a few days after decisions came out so I would assume some more people may have been called recently!
Yes!! This is what I needed. Congratulations that is awesome!

Does anyone have any anatomy prep they could send me? Or a website they recommend?

can anyone let me know how long it took until you got the email with your UFID after you sent your acceptance paperwork?

I also was called off the OOS waitlist this morning and accepted my seat!!

I got called off the OOS waitlist this morning and accepted my seat. Can’t wait to be classmates with you all 😭😭

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Any IS waitlist movement? Is there any hope? 😔
I was removed from the IS waitlist late Friday! There is hope guys. Keep your head up. Im sure some calls may come through this next week or maybe closer to the first day.

Reactions: 2 users
I was called off of the OOS waitlist on the 20th so it’s definitely still moving!

Reactions: 3 users
I most likely will be turning down my OOS seat I originally accepted. Hopefully they’ll still be pulling from the waitlist. Good luck everyone!

I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for note taking. Specific Laptops vs tablets, etc? Do you recommend both?
I am used to taking hand notes, but was considering an iPad if it’s more effective.

I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for note taking. Specific Laptops vs tablets, etc? Do you recommend both?
I am used to taking hand notes, but was considering an iPad if it’s more effective.
I am in no way an expert (since I only just got accepted to vet school) but I have heard the best transition from paper notes to electronic is an Ipad with a Pen. I am looking into it now and plan to buy during Tax free weekend right before school. I have a desktop I will be bringing with me for the at home studying but for class I think an ipad is more efficient.

I love my iPad with Notability! I'm like you and have always handwritten my notes, but there is way too much material to do that for vet school- you'd be printing out several hundred slides a day. I like using an ipad so that I can underline the things the professor emphasizes and then add my own elaborations as needed, without having to worry about wasting paper or writing things that are already on the slides. A lot of people use onenote or notability to write notes on the slides, and some people prefer to type their notes. You'll learn whatever works best for you, but I definitely recommend some sort of ipad or computer so you have the slides in front of you! (Also, sometimes slides get put up at the very last minute, so it's nice to have a device where you can download them instantly as opposed to trying to print everything beforehand.)