UFCVM c/o 2026 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
IS acceptance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
IS ACCEPTANCE!! So many tears right now. Can't wait to meet all of you!

Reactions: 3 users
OOS acceptance!!!! :’) congratulations and hugs to all!!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OOS acceptance!! I am crying😭😭

OOS alternate. Really hope I get pulled off 🤞🏻

I am an OOS alternate, and am hoping to be pulled off the waitlist! Does anyone have insight into how many are typically on the waitlist and how many get pulled? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS alternate! For those of you that were waitlisted in years past and pulled off, when did you hear about the decision? Was it before the deadline to confirm your seat or after?

OOS alternate! For those of you that were waitlisted in years past and pulled off, when did you hear about the decision? Was it before the deadline to confirm your seat or after?
I was pulled off the OOS waitlist last year! I was called on April 7th. I know some others who were pulled as well, so it is absolutely a possibility. (It’s a phone call, not an email, so answer a call from a 352 area code!)

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Is the school allowing tours on days other than the open house days for people who can’t make it to open house?

Reactions: 1 user
Is the school allowing tours on days other than the open house days for people who can’t make it to open house?
Someone was given a tour when they requested I’d call the school today and ask. 2024 got a request to give a 2026 possible candidate person a tour

Hi! Does anyone know if there are scholarships given out? and if so, will that be before April 15?

Hi! Does anyone know if there are scholarships given out? and if so, will that be before April 15?
We got ours in October but if you submitted your fasfa when you submitted vmcas or before December last year you may get them earlier.

Someone was given a tour when they requested I’d call the school today and ask. 2024 got a request to give a 2026 possible candidate person a tour
Ok thanks! I really want to visit because I’m deciding between florida and my much cheaper IS option, but I’m just so far away I’m having trouble figuring out how I can get down to Gainesville without missing so much school.

Ok thanks! I really want to visit because I’m deciding between florida and my much cheaper IS option, but I’m just so far away I’m having trouble figuring out how I can get down to Gainesville without missing so much school.
Don’t get me wrong, UF is great and I love it here, but I would go to your much cheaper option in a heartbeat! You’ll get the same experience no matter where you go, and if there’s anything you feel your IS school lacks that UF has, you can use some of your saved money to go on externships that will more than replace the experience you would get in school.

Don’t get me wrong, UF is great and I love it here, but I would go to your much cheaper option in a heartbeat! You’ll get the same experience no matter where you go, and if there’s anything you feel your IS school lacks that UF has, you can use some of your saved money to go on externships that will more than replace the experience you would get in school.
Even if it’s aquatics? Im really wanting to do floridas aquatic animal certificate. Im just worried that if I go to my IS (Auburn) that doesn’t have anything wildlife/aquatic it might be a lot harder to get those externship opportunities

^^^ I am feeling similar @Cheezyboi !! my decision is going to come down to either UF or my IS (I think i’ve narrowed it down otherwise) but I’m having a tough time deciding between the two.

Even if it’s aquatics? Im really wanting to do floridas aquatic animal certificate. Im just worried that if I go to my IS (Auburn) that doesn’t have anything wildlife/aquatic it might be a lot harder to get those externship opportunities
Yep, even aquatics! I would recommend looking into AquaVet, a month-long summer program hosted by Cornell open to students from all schools that gives you a really intensive education in aquatic animal medicine and (probably even more importantly) allows you to connect with veterinarians already in the field. The aquatics field is sooo small and any connections you can make will be really important if you want to break into the field. UF has a similar program called SeaVet, which is a two-week program that I believe students from other schools can apply for as well, but since it's one of the required courses to get the aquatics certificate at UF, I think a lot more UF students probably take it. If you're interested in the coursework you can take for the certificate, you can also take these courses as a non-UF student- I believe you'd pay more (probably ~$1000/class), but you'd get the same info and it would still save you money in the long run. I would also recommend looking into WAVMA's CertAqV program, which you can start working towards during vet school and become certified upon graduation. I'm interested in zoo med and will be applying for the aquatics certificate myself, so I definitely understand wanting to get opportunities in zoo/aquatics during school, but you can break into this field from any school in the country as long as you have the drive to work for it.

Reactions: 1 users
Yep, even aquatics! I would recommend looking into AquaVet, a month-long summer program hosted by Cornell open to students from all schools that gives you a really intensive education in aquatic animal medicine and (probably even more importantly) allows you to connect with veterinarians already in the field. The aquatics field is sooo small and any connections you can make will be really important if you want to break into the field. UF has a similar program called SeaVet, which is a two-week program that I believe students from other schools can apply for as well, but since it's one of the required courses to get the aquatics certificate at UF, I think a lot more UF students probably take it. If you're interested in the coursework you can take for the certificate, you can also take these courses as a non-UF student- I believe you'd pay more (probably ~$1000/class), but you'd get the same info and it would still save you money in the long run. I would also recommend looking into WAVMA's CertAqV program, which you can start working towards during vet school and become certified upon graduation. I'm interested in zoo med and will be applying for the aquatics certificate myself, so I definitely understand wanting to get opportunities in zoo/aquatics during school, but you can break into this field from any school in the country as long as you have the drive to work for it.
That is very very helpful! Thank you so much!

OOS acceptance! Is there an accepted students Facebook page? Can’t believe this

Just accepted my OOS seat officially. So excited to meet everyone and get started! Random question but do we need a certain computer for classes?

If you were to take the UF aquatic vet courses while not going to UF (and paying $1,000 more, etc, like you said), would you still be able to get the certificate? If you took them all? Or is that not possible? It would be just taking them to get the knowledge, not the Cert? I have a masters in Marine Mammal Biology and was really hoping to do the Aquatic Animal Certificate at UF but right now it looks like I’m an in-state alternate. I got into some other really really great schools, but they don’t have anything aquatic and that’s what I want to do with my career so it’s important to me! So I was curious about what you said above? I’ll also look into Cornell and the other one, thanks so much for that info!

Can any current students talk about the current housing situation?

Apartment vs house
Distance from school
Rent prices in the area
Finding roommates

Anyone have any experience with buying a house and renting the rooms?

If you were to take the UF aquatic vet courses while not going to UF (and paying $1,000 more, etc, like you said), would you still be able to get the certificate? If you took them all? Or is that not possible? It would be just taking them to get the knowledge, not the Cert? I have a masters in Marine Mammal Biology and was really hoping to do the Aquatic Animal Certificate at UF but right now it looks like I’m an in-state alternate. I got into some other really really great schools, but they don’t have anything aquatic and that’s what I want to do with my career so it’s important to me! So I was curious about what you said above? I’ll also look into Cornell and the other one, thanks so much for that info!
Yeah, unfortunately only UFCVM students can get the certificate. The certificate has some in-person requirements, like SeaVet and what is pretty much a journal club class that you take sometime during your last 2 years at the vet school. UF is definitely great for aquatics, but you can forge your own path from any school (and might even be able to find more opportunities- a ton of people come to UF because they're interested in aquatics, so even though we have a lot of aquatics faculty, it's pretty darn hard to find anything!). Best of luck to you on the waitlist- I hope you get in, but even if you do end up going to another school, you will have just as good of a chance there :)

^^^ I am feeling similar @Cheezyboi !! my decision is going to come down to either UF or my IS (I think i’ve narrowed it down otherwise) but I’m having a tough time deciding between the two.
Gonna quote skiotter and say go to the cheapest school.

Does anyone know where they'll be living yet?
I’ve been looking at apartments that were shared on the google doc posted to the FB group. I’m unsure which one would be best considering i’ve never been in the area. I’m hoping to look around when I make the trip for the open house!

I’ve been looking at apartments that were shared on the google doc posted to the FB group. I’m unsure which one would be best considering i’ve never been in the area. I’m hoping to look around when I make the trip for the open house!
Sometimes if you look outside of typical move in you can find cheap houses and condos. If you are willing to move into a place now or before may sometimes that helps. If you have horses or want to be rural remember you have to be within 30 minutes for clinics.

I sent my acceptance form yesterday, did anyone get response emails yet?

Current students, where do you typically take your pets for veterinary care? I'd like to establish a relationship with a local vet for my 2 cats. :)

Current students, where do you typically take your pets for veterinary care? I'd like to establish a relationship with a local vet for my 2 cats. :)
I take my cats to Suburban Animal Hospital! They have been amazing so far with my new kitten! And they give a discount for us vet students! I think its like 10-15% off, which is pretty nice! It's pretty difficult to get into primary care at UF, so many local clinics will offer vet student discounts as well.

I take my 3 dogs to Town and Country! I do get a pretty nice discount there since they are my clinic's sister hospital, but Dr. Tomlin and Dr. Ziegler have been incredible with them. Nothing but great things to say. I've worked under Dr. Ziegler too and he's probably one of my fav vets.

Can we bring a guest for the preview day?

Can we bring a guest for the preview day?
I contacted Lynette Chaparro and asked about this - she said no. There will be an opportunity during orientation week for parents to participate though.

I take my cat to Town & Country Veterinarians and Pet Resort! I volunteered there for 2.5 years during undergrad and have been taking my cat there ever since (~4.5 years now)