University of New England (UNECOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just came back from my interview. Everyone there is great!! Hope I get in

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone other accepted students get a "missing financial aid" email from them? I completed Fafsa a while ago and this is the first i've heard from UNE regarding financial aid stuff. They gave me a link to sign onto but it's a dead link and I just get an error...

hmm, I didn't receive this, but I also haven't heard from them about anything financial-related. I haven't done the FAFSA yet (waiting on parents' info........ugh) but I did fill out a somewhat sketchy form on the UNE website (it was like 2 questions)

Members don't see this ad :)
I was able to figure it out from some spelunking into their website (I was never told I had a Nor'easter student login id and password but was able to find it). After logging in I saw that they did get my FAFSA, but am missing a FERPA form and a couple questions about my previous student loan debt. Still confusing so I wrote an email to them to see what's what. I'm sure there will be more to come, especially at Osteoblast in a couple weeks.

Ah yes that was one of the forms I found when I logged on and completed that so hopefully I'm all set now.

Also received an answer back from financial aid. I guess the FERPA form is not mandatory to fill out. It will remain marked as incomplete in your file but they assured me it won't hold up the process at all.

Last edited:
I haven't done anything with FAFSA or financial aid yet. Is anyone else waiting until after Osteoblast for this?

Also, does anyone know if and and if so where UNECOM published there 2014 match list? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't done anything with FAFSA or financial aid yet. Is anyone else waiting until after Osteoblast for this?

I was told that under no circumstances should you wait for any of this stuff, and to do as much as you can as soon as you can.

So no I am not waiting.

After not hearing anything for 5 months since my interview, I called Lisa Lane and she said she would look into my status and get back to me within the day. After a week went by with no response, I called her again and she told me to expect a response next week. Anyone else have a similar experience? I'm hoping this doesn't mean a rejection since i hear rejections are only mailed out, hence the one week wait.

Last edited:
Has everyone gotten the email about getting your transcripts sent to the school and getting your email and what not activated?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also interested in seeing the '14 match list. Anyone know if it is available online yet?

As a member of class of 2014, I can say that this has not been shared with us yet nor have I seen an unofficial one.

Apologies if this has already been addressed in this forum, but can someone please tell me what time Osteoblast wraps up on Saturday? I didn't see an end time on the invitation. Thanks in advance!

Apologies if this has already been addressed in this forum, but can someone please tell me what time Osteoblast wraps up on Saturday? I didn't see an end time on the invitation. Thanks in advance!

They said in one of the emails I got that it'd be 8-4pm (approximately).
Any past atendees to osteoblast can comment on this 'estimated' time frame? Does it usually run that long?

As a member of class of 2014, I can say that this has not been shared with us yet nor have I seen an unofficial one.
Hey jkmph,
Congrats on almost being done with med school! I know you said you have not yet seen a match list for your class but I was wondering whether you and other people you know from your class are happy with the match this year. Do you have any ideas as to how UNECOM did? Thanks for any help!

Hey jkmph,
Congrats on almost being done with med school! I know you said you have not yet seen a match list for your class but I was wondering whether you and other people you know from your class are happy with the match this year. Do you have any ideas as to how UNECOM did? Thanks for any help!

Well there is 120 or so of us, so my response is anecdotal at best. Everyone I know is happy, but anyone who didnt match or is unhappy probably isn't sharing that on facebook.

Just got an email from UNE COMSA about the schedule of Osteoblast.

___
Check-in will begin at 8:30 a.m. in the first floor lobby of Decary Hall, with a continental breakfast available. Morning programming will kick off with a welcome from UNECOM administration and students from the Class of 2017 at 9:00 a.m. Afternoon programming will conclude at approximately 3:30 pm, with an optional campus tour at that time, and an opportunity to mingle with and ask questions of our current first-year students.

Throughout the day, you and your guests will be able to speak with current students, faculty, staff, and administrators of the College of Osteopathic Medicine, as well as family members and significant others of current students, and staff members of the University's Financial Aid Operations. Information will be provided on curriculum, work/life balance, student clubs and organizations, and local businesses. You will even get some hands-on experience with OMM!

Dress is business casual.

___

Much debt
Very loans
wow
So unsubsidized

Reactions: 2 users
For those of you who have been accepted, how did you obtain your student ID number?

For those of you who have been accepted, how did you obtain your student ID number?

I received an e-mail from Ms Purcell with instructions. Essentially to visit their webportal at:

http://uonline.une.edu/

There are a few "ID's". I think I was first given my une id when i called to inquire about paying my deposit as well a while ago. If you are not accepted and try to log in I wouldn't read into it. There's a whole bunch of speculating going on in the Nova thread from people who have yet to hear a decision finding out whether they have been assigned ID's or not and there was no rhyme or reason to it, just a whole lot of stress...

I received an e-mail from Ms Purcell with instructions. Essentially to visit their webportal at:

http://uonline.une.edu/

There are a few "ID's". I think I was first given my une id when i called to inquire about paying my deposit as well a while ago. If you are not accepted and try to log in I wouldn't read into it. There's a whole bunch of speculating going on in the Nova thread from people who have yet to hear a decision finding out whether they have been assigned ID's or not and there was no rhyme or reason to it, just a whole lot of stress...

I was just pulled off the ASA list so I'm trying to catch up with everything I need to get done for financial aid. I just wasn't sure if I only get an ID after I submit my deposits.

I was just pulled off the ASA list so I'm trying to catch up with everything I need to get done for financial aid. I just wasn't sure if I only get an ID after I submit my deposits.

Hey now, congratulations! You should be able to retrieve your Nor'easter ID and password with the link I posted earlier. From there you should be able to check out the student financial services and then check your financial aid status and it should show what you need to complete, with instructions. If you already did your FAFSA, then you are pretty much not behind at all

Congratulations! Wondered if you received any information about your position on the ASA list beforehand?

Anyone here at osteoblast? @Pookie9000 @plateletfactor5 @cerium @KCCMadeline

I'm here and put my screen name on my nametag!!!

I am unfortunately not, I am in the lab right now....gotta keep towing the line until school starts.
Hope you guys are having a blast, I will see you all at orientation.
To anyone that is there, if you hear anything that might be of special importance to us poor working stiffs :) can you please post it.

Thanks!!

Have fun, Anyone at the osteoblasts. If possible,
Can someone update the remediation policy?

Housing is relatively easy to make a last decision on. Many of the apartments around Saco are "seasonal"; the summer season usually ends September 1st. So many apartments are available from September 1st to May 1st at a discounted price. This may require you to crash with a classmate/at a hotel for the first week or two of classes, but then allows you to get a cheap apartment for the school year.

There also were a significant number of posts on our facebook page for rooms to rent/available apartments right before classes started. When the 3rd years/4th years start their clinical rotations, their apartments/rooms are available (and since owners like the fact med students a) have guaranteed loan money to pay rent on time and b) are usually responsible, it goes a longggg way to remind the owners that you're a medical student).

Also keep in mind that according to Maine law, after you complete a one year lease you are then allowed to stay at the apartment on a month-to-month basis (you don't need to sign a new 1 year lease). So Maine makes it real easy for us med students who start first year in August but end second year in May/June/July (~1 year, 10 months)

Have fun, Anyone at the osteoblasts. If possible,
Can someone update the remediation policy?

It's hard to get in to medical school, and its hard to get out...

UNECOM (like every other medical school out there) tries to do everything possible to prevent students from falling behind. In our OCS portion (anatomy + clinical skills + OMT), if you fail a test you will have to opportunity to "CAP" it. The CAP is essentially an oral walkthrough of the information (ie if you fail a component of our clinical skills exam, they just have you redo it, but more in a way that walks you through and teaches you what you may have been missing). In our OMK section, the grading is more similar to something we had in college, so our big "block exams" are only worth a total of 60% of the grade (3 block exams = 20% a piece). Of the remaining components of your grade, I would say at least 25% is easy work that you should get almost full credit for, and the remaining 15% is a little more difficult to get full credit for. So to sum it up for OMK: you are given enough "free" points in other assignments that if you fail a test you shouldn't end up with failing the class.

Also, UNECOM strives to put us in a position where there is absolutely no doubt we will perform well on the board exams. Because the national average on the USMLE Step-1 is usually 65% correct, you may see other schools set the "fail" line at 65%... but at UNE they set it much higher so that there is no doubt we are prepared. So in OMK, a Pass is technically a final grade 70%-80%, but if they see you are slipping below 75% they will contact you and help set up access to tutors. In OCS, our grades are based on the statistics of how the class does and so changes from test to test. Regardless, the fail line will always be at or below 80%; so if you score 80% on a test you are guaranteed to pass even if everyone else got 100% (though often the adjusted fail line is around 70-75%).

I know some current students who have failed their CAP or didn't do well in a certain part of OMK. For most of these students, they have to spend the summer in "summer school" and retake the parts of the course that they failed in. Other students failed multiple CAPs or OMK completely and so were removed from school (if you don't know the material, you shouldn't be a doctor).

Summary - it is extremely hard to flunk out of school. Even if you have a bad day or two, UNECOM will help get you support to better understand the material. Those who failed repeatedly have been removed but failed because 1. they just don't know the material and so shouldn't be doctors or 2. have personal issues/concerns that they should address prior to resuming their education.

seems like no decisions in awhile...anyone know when next committee meeting is?

NPH-Im-Bored-How-I-Met-Your-Mother.gif

The UNECOM thread is always so quiet...

i know, aaarrgghh! well, there's got to be some decisions/notifications soon, it has been quite awhile, i interviewed mid march. i want an acceptance here so bad, and the waiting is killing me! i noticed in the unecom ASA thread that they have been taking people off the ASA list already, so i'm losing hope thinking that they've made all decisions and forgot to send me my rejection :/

i know, aaarrgghh! well, there's got to be some decisions/notifications soon, it has been quite awhile, i interviewed mid march. i want an acceptance here so bad, and the waiting is killing me! i noticed in the unecom ASA thread that they have been taking people off the ASA list already, so i'm losing hope thinking that they've made all decisions and forgot to send me my rejection :/
Did you try to contact them to find out? They usually get back to me pretty fast when I emailed them in the past

Last edited:
Withdrawing my acceptance today. Loved this school good luck to everyone hope good news comes your way.

Got the acceptance email this afternoon, however im accepted somewhere else so going to decline the offer , but UNE is def one of my favorite choices, good luck everyone!

Got an acceptance email yesterday, but declining the offer as I am already accepted somewhere else. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back! UNECOM is a great school and had so much fun during the interview!

Got the acceptance email this afternoon, however im accepted somewhere else so going to decline the offer , but UNE is def one of my favorite choices, good luck everyone!

Got an acceptance email yesterday, but declining the offer as I am already accepted somewhere else. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back! UNECOM is a great school and had so much fun during the interview!

why do people do this???? why not take yourself off the waitlist or just withdraw if you have NO intention of attending?!? sorry for the rant but for people who are waiting to figure things out its tough to watch people do this....

why do people do this???? why not take yourself off the waitlist or just withdraw if you have NO intention of attending?!? sorry for the rant but for people who are waiting to figure things out its tough to watch people do this....

I literally got accepted the day before I got the email from UNECOM.

well now I feel like a jerk...it just seems like a lot of people are waiting out spots "just to see" if they get in, I don't know you, and won't accuse you of that, just an observation of general sdn. Congrats, btw...I don't mean to be mean...I'm sure the waiting has been awful for you as well...I wish you the best :)

well now I feel like a jerk...it just seems like a lot of people are waiting out spots "just to see" if they get in, I don't know you, and won't accuse you of that, just an observation of general sdn. Congrats, btw...I don't mean to be mean...I'm sure the waiting has been awful for you as well...I wish you the best :)

No worries, I understand it's a frustrating process. Best of luck to you! :)

Same here, the problem is not us, it's the schools that they all wait till now to send us offers, so we have to decide which one to accept and which one to decline.

I don't get the ones that get into their dream school and don't withdraw their apps from the other schools. But really, it doesn't hurt anyone- the school calls them, they decline the acceptance, it goes to the next person on the list. People holding multiple acceptances for weeks are a bit less forgiveable.

I don't get the ones that get into their dream school and don't withdraw their apps from the other schools. But really, it doesn't hurt anyone- the school calls them, they decline the acceptance, it goes to the next person on the list. People holding multiple acceptances for weeks are a bit less forgiveable.
When they give offers to ppl from waitlist they only give you a couple of days to get back to them about your decision so I don't know how can ppl still holding multiple acceptance unless they paid for the deposits for all of them ??