Warren Alpert Medical School (Brown) vs Icahn School of Medicine (Mount Sinai)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brown v Sinai (please read circumstances)

• Brown

Votes: 27 40.9%
  • Sinai

Votes: 39 59.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Medik37

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I hope you're all doing well. I'm in the fortunate position of being able to choose between Brown and Mount Sinai for medical school. However, I'm having an extraordinarily difficult time making this decision.

I grew up in MA, and Brown was always a 'dream' school for me (perhaps more for undergrad). Then, when I interviewed at Sinai, something absolutely clicked, and I could see myself there for med school. I would be happy at either institution; still, I do think I am leaning toward Sinai. Brown gave me a solid financial aid package, and it appears Sinai would cost about 50k more to attend.

I was impressed with Sinai's subsidized housing right next to class, the amount of students involved in research, the 'take home' exams, the approachability of 'big name' professors, the feel. I liked Brown a lot, and truthfully it gave me a similar vibe in terms of the student body and atmosphere. I don't know how I want to specialize, or where I would like to end up in my career. Part of me thinks I should take the cheaper option, an option that I am happy with, and run with it, but another part of me sincerely believes that Sinai would offer me more opportunities throughout medical school, and that these possibilities would make the additional expenses worthwhile.

I have consulted (far too many) physicians, residents, and others whose advice I respect, and the general train of thought has been for me to take the cheaper alternative. Is there a significant difference between these two schools that would merit me taking Sinai (i.e. accruing an additional ~50k in loans) over Brown? Are they more equally matched than I'm giving credit for here? Thoughts? Funny gifs?

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, congrats on your achievement!! I am a 4th yr med student here about to graduate, we just had our exit interview not too long ago. Unless you can afford the extra cost out of pocket, taking out the loans aren't worth it, most of your loans will starting accuring interesting the minute you take it out, by the time you have the option of paying back your loans, the early ones have been accuring interest for 4 years. My debt is about average for an American grad, and even on a 25 year plan, I will be paying a significant amount each month. The burden will decrease over time as I finish training, but it is something quiet important to think about. Furthermore, it is hard to perdict living expenses other than tuition and housing, and NYC def. cost a lot more to live in than RI. Finally, in terms of "prestige", unless you know exactly what you want to do after med school, and one institution will give you a much better chance at that field, you will not go wrong with attending either med school. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
There both amazing schools
Go with the cheaper one
You'll be thankful later

Reactions: 1 users
My vote goes to Brown! It's a great school and 50K cheaper!

Reactions: 1 user
Didn't interview at brown but your heart seems to be at Sinai. Sinai is a great place and your evaluation of the atmosphere is spot on. Also, 50K in loans, with interest, on a doctors salary, is nothing. Go to the school you like..

50k more over 4 years? I'm not quite sure I understand, and are you sure Sinai has given you an accurate financial aid assessment (my understanding is that a lot of schools are still figuring out where to give money and how to give it, etc), and also, you didn't try leveraging with the Sinai school about how much you'd love it and you'd absolutely attend if it was more financially feasible and telling them about your Brown scholarship?

Good job though dude!!! They're both great schools!

Good idea from tick tock, try to get more money first from Sinai-- I would go with the cheaper alternative. Full disclosure, I'll be attending Brown in the fall. It really depends on your interests. If you are more into research, go with Sinai. Otherwise, I can't think of any tangible differences other than location. The prestige is different, sure, but is it different enough that it will make or break a residency application somewhere? I doubt it. Where will you be happiest?