Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got an email because my phone number recently changed.

Members don't see this ad.

yes, i missed my call and she left a voicemail and i called her back within 5 minutes :)

Just hit submit button....tick tock tick tock.....I think its hilarious I had to put down my parents information. Hopefully, they get the bills as well:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Guys,
I'm a new member and it is my first time writing on this thread. I also have an interview on 9/22:). Are you guys planning to attend the preview day event on 9/17?

Thanks and good luck to all :)

I have an interview on September 22 too :). I wish I could go to the preview, but being from Florida makes that kind of tough...

Interview invite this morning by telephone call...

ohhh yeahhhh

+1. We should all grab dinner the night before or something 10/21. Found it makes the interview day seem way less daunting when you got some friends to talk to.

^+1 more
That's a great idea- I'm in. Are you all staying the night in the Pomona area?

I sent in my secondary 8/12 and didn't get an interview or rejection yet. Starting to get worried about this one here.

I sent in my secondary 8/12 and didn't get an interview or rejection yet. Starting to get worried about this one here.

I feel your pain, LastPolarBear...exact same situation and one of my top choices... :(

I'm rooting for both of us :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel your pain, LastPolarBear...exact same situation and one of my top choices... :(

u guys gotta calm down...the interview season is just starting...i know some of the osteopathic schools have alrdy done a few interviews but western's first is late september we all have plenty of time as they interview into march! so lets all just breath enjoy the last bits of summer and have a beer or 3

u guys gotta calm down...the interview season is just starting...i know some of the osteopathic schools have alrdy done a few interviews but western's first is late september we all have plenty of time as they interview into march! so lets all just breath enjoy the last bits of summer and have a beer or 3

I suppose...just figured that since they've already seen our apps and moved through that they would then continue to receive more apps as time goes on...most likely picking from a new crop of applicants.

However, now that I read this I do sound pretty neurotic. OK fine...calming down now.

I suppose...just figured that since they've already seen our apps and moved through that they would then continue to receive more apps as time goes on...most likely picking from a new crop of applicants.

However, now that I read this I do sound pretty neurotic. OK fine...calming down now.
they do get new apps but theres no way to tell where urs sits or how they orient them...not every med school reviews them by date received...lol and btw its 1030pm on a friday (im pacific) and we r both on SDN id say we both are neurotic...oh well soon as my bro finishes his nursing exam its off to vegas!

so while looking over western comp's interview confirmation email, this part made me slightly confused:

"If you are an international student or possess a permanent visa, please be prepared to provide proof of legal United States residency before you leave campus. Proof of legal US residency is required prior to any offer of admission."

they do accept international students...as they have mentioned on their website.. then why would they need proof of US citizenship or residency prior to offers of admission? :S i don't have US residency neither visa..

i got this email when i reached home this evening, otherwise would've called them right away just to clarify this.. now it's the weekend..
could anyone else, familiar with WESTERN COMP's international student policy, clarify this??

so while looking over western comp's interview confirmation email, this part made me slightly confused:

"If you are an international student or possess a permanent visa, please be prepared to provide proof of legal United States residency before you leave campus. Proof of legal US residency is required prior to any offer of admission."

they do accept international students...as they have mentioned on their website.. then why would they need proof of US citizenship or residency prior to offers of admission? :S i don't have US residency neither visa..

i got this email when i reached home this evening, otherwise would've called them right away just to clarify this.. now it's the weekend..
could anyone else, familiar with WESTERN COMP's international student policy, clarify this??
im not sure but it sounds like they want u to have a student visa before they offer u an acceptance...call and find out if its ok if u get it after the interview otherwise ur gonna need to reschedule ur interview until u get the visa

im not sure but it sounds like they want u to have a student visa before they offer u an acceptance...call and find out if its ok if u get it after the interview otherwise ur gonna need to reschedule ur interview until u get the visa

uh oh..!:eek:

it kind of makes sense they wanna know u can legally reside in the US before they accept u otherwise itd be a wasted offer of acceptance that they could give to someone else

well, i can legally reside for a few days (canadian here), but in order to legally reside for years, to study and practice, i will need an offer of admission to obtain a visa.. right? :S i can't get a student visa w/o having an offer at hand first... atleast, that's the way i think it works..

well, i can legally reside for a few days (canadian here), but in order to legally reside for years, to study and practice, i will need an offer of admission to obtain a visa.. right? :S i can't get a student visa w/o having an offer at hand first... atleast, that's the way i think it works..
yea definitely call them first thing after labor day...the website says to apply for all the student visa stuff after an offer of acceptance is given...definitely weird good luck bro!

I emailed them about this when I received my invite email and they said a visa is not necessary for the interview, however, it is required if you do matriculate into the school. If you're really concerned, I can forward the email to you lol

I emailed them about this when I received my invite email and they said a visa is not necessary for the interview, however, it is required if you do matriculate into the school. If you're really concerned, I can forward the email to you lol
oh ok, it's all fine then! i got slightly worried, seeing as what happened with dmu :p

hey, btw, where r u all planning to stay (or have already stayed) in pomona? i was looking at their hotel list.. the closest one, comfort inn, doesn't offer any shuttle from airport..are there any closeby hotels that do provide shuttle to/from airport?

Count me in too... top choice :(

Yeah, good luck you guys. I hope we get those calls very soon.

Haha, yeah, maybe I am getting a little neurotic about this whole process. It's what happens when you read SDN too much.

Does anybody know of resources to help prepare for the MMI style of interviewing? Maybe some sample questions/scenarios?

Reading this thread made me feel like an idiot, haha. I mis-read the instructions for the secondary and made all 4 essays fit on one page, rather than each essay having a full-page length maximum...D'oh!

Hopefully they like me for my ability to be concise? :rolleyes:

Good luck to those with interviews.

Does anybody know of resources to help prepare for the MMI style of interviewing? Maybe some sample questions/scenarios?

Here are some links and attachments. Read the Admissions OSCE PDF, UCLA Geffen MMI has used scenarios directly from the Appendix.

http://www.mcgill.ca/files/caps/MMI_FAQ.pdf
https://comdo-wcnlb.uc.edu/MedOneStop/Admissions/InterviewInfo.aspx

The pace of MMI will elicit your personal character very effectively; you don't have time to build up a rehearsed response in the 2 minutes you have to prepare the question, unless it's once you've happened to have prepared for. Rather, you have to think about all the points you want to touch in your initial statement to the interview as you answer your station's MMI prompt. Make sure to have a good personal overview of your strengths, weaknesses, status of health care (reform, work with the underserved, etc) and your achievements on your AACOMAS application (you'll need to draw from them to give concrete support to your initial statement).

Be prepared to answer successive lines of questioning when you answer on a topic like, say, the role of leadership. The main prompt may be "talk about a experience where you've had to take leadership over a decisive issue," but the interviewer has a list of branch questions that will be asked based on the initial response you give (like "how did you ensure that the other students you decided against still felt like their opinion was respected?")

Attachments

• Admissions OSCE MMI Article.pdf
    128.2 KB · Views: 152
Here are some links and attachments. Read the Admissions OSCE PDF, UCLA Geffen MMI has used scenarios directly from the Appendix.

The pace of MMI will elicit your personal character very effectively; you don't have time to build up a rehearsed response in the 2 minutes you have to prepare the question, unless it's once you've happened to have prepared for. Rather, you have to think about all the points you want to touch in your initial statement to the interview as you answer your station's MMI prompt. Make sure to have a good personal overview of your strengths, weaknesses, status of health care (reform, work with the underserved, etc) and your achievements on your AACOMAS application (you'll need to draw from them to give concrete support to your initial statement).

Be prepared to answer successive lines of questioning when you answer on a topic like, say, the role of leadership. The main prompt may be "talk about a experience where you've had to take leadership over a decisive issue," but the interviewer has a list of branch questions that will be asked based on the initial response you give (like "how did you ensure that the other students you decided against still felt like their opinion was respected?")

Great, thank you!!
I think I'm pretty good on the fly. Hopefully I don't get too nervous though; Western is my top choice!

hey!
for those looking into hotels, or will soon get those interview invites and need to look into hotels, consider shilo inn hotel - 79/night, with complimentary shuttle to/from western and from/to airport. seems like a pretty good deal :thumbup:

awesome! thanks! :xf:

i have an interview as well!
november 3rd, thursday. (they did offer me an ealier interview, but that was the date for the Boyce avenue concert) ha

i was hoping to know, with those who matriculated into Western, why did they pick Western and how is it living their in Pomona,
i have been living in Chicago the past 4 years and i love it, but I am sure i will love SoCal as well.

Also, for those who have an interview on November 3rd, i am trying to save money, so if anyone wants to coordinate with me a room/hotel place, i would be very open to it, so just let me know!

earl

Thanks! Beginning of November. I received complete email yesterday, so I was pleasantly surprised by the quick response :)
wow, that is for sure a quick response! what are your stats like?:)

Western is great because it's got strong core rotation sites and prepares their students very well for patient encounters early in the get-go. You are also closer to several major academic programs and large hospitals, so the school always gets a nice list of matches to reputable residency programs in the area. The curriculum has undergone some changes in recent years, so some of the older students may not be able to accurately advise you on how classes are. If a Pomona 1st year OMS could chime in on how they feel about the current setup, that would be fantastic.

I just visited California for the first time, and I really liked it there. Is there any point in applying to Western this late in the game?

I just visited California for the first time, and I really liked it there. Is there any point in applying to Western this late in the game?

It's definitely not too late. I applied last year (complete the end of December) and I was offered a deferred acceptance after my interview in February. They ended up offering me a spot for the class of 2015 after a few more people dropped out, but I kept my deferred acceptance and I am enjoying my year off instead :)
So go, apply now!

It's definitely not too late. I applied last year (complete the end of December) and I was offered a deferred acceptance after my interview in February. They ended up offering me a spot for the class of 2015 after a few more people dropped out, but I kept my deferred acceptance and I am enjoying my year off instead :)
So go, apply now!

Thanks! I think I will just apply and see what happens!

Western is great because it's got strong core rotation sites and prepares their students very well for patient encounters early in the get-go. You are also closer to several major academic programs and large hospitals, so the school always gets a nice list of matches to reputable residency programs in the area. The curriculum has undergone some changes in recent years, so some of the older students may not be able to accurately advise you on how classes are. If a Pomona 1st year OMS could chime in on how they feel about the current setup, that would be fantastic.

Hey Everyone,

I'm a current 1st year at Western University and I LOVE IT HERE! I thought I'd chime in to wish everyone good luck and answer any questions.

To start off, here's what made me choose Western last year:

-close relationship with Arrowhead Regional Med Center, the 2nd busiest ER in California (in addition to numerous other high quality -LOCAL- rotation sites).
-a dean of research and numerous opportunities to do research
-brand new facilities
-Spectacular anatomy program -> dissection based anatomy with the opportunity to teach to your peers if you take the Intensive Summer Anatomy Course
-awesome location since it's in the LA area and near Claremont, CA. Borders National Forest to the north so it's not like you're stuck in LA and only 45 minutes from the beach.
-best west coast match list amongst all DO schools
-mix of standard didactic, case based, and group learning
-all lectures recorded, videotaped, and available to be played back at high speed
-an overall feeling of the school supporting students to become independent, creative, scientists instead of the more parochial vibe I got at other schools.
- you get patient encounters starting at the very first week of class

To specifically address the curriculum: we've only had anatomy thus far so I can't comment on the other classes, but upperclassmen from the most recent classes seem happy with their education. From my firsthand experience with anatomy, what I've seen is that the course is very thought out. You get a powerpoint, word document, and dissection notes for every day. There are clear objectives. you get free one on one tutoring if you have concepts/areas you want to focus on, and labs are open late. We get several instructors teaching anatomy with each focusing on their specialty. The head instructor is an old school anatomist who's been doing this since the 80’s. For the thorax, we get paleontologists to offer their perspective on skeletal development. We had a general surgeon teach us about the abdomen and pelvis - with lots of clinical correlates. For locomotion, we had a professor who also works for Disney teach us about finer points in gait and body proportion.

Anyways, I hope I've offered a meaningful glimpse of what it's like. Feel free to ask other questions!

Booo.. I got an email saying that they've read my application but can't offer me an interview yet and will Re-Review later.

Down, but not out.

I missed a phone call from the Oregon campus today... and now I have to wait until tomorrow to actually talk with someone. Oh, the agony!

Edit: woops, wrong thread!

Last edited:
is anyone that has an interview on 9/22 goin' to the preview day?

Hey Everyone,

I'm a current 1st year at Western University and I LOVE IT HERE! I thought I'd chime in to wish everyone good luck and answer any questions.

To start off, here's what made me choose Western last year:

-close relationship with Arrowhead Regional Med Center, the 2nd busiest ER in California (in addition to numerous other high quality -LOCAL- rotation sites).
-a dean of research and numerous opportunities to do research
-brand new facilities
-Spectacular anatomy program -> dissection based anatomy with the opportunity to teach to your peers if you take the Intensive Summer Anatomy Course
-awesome location since it's in the LA area and near Claremont, CA. Borders National Forest to the north so it's not like you're stuck in LA and only 45 minutes from the beach.
-best west coast match list amongst all DO schools
-mix of standard didactic, case based, and group learning
-all lectures recorded, videotaped, and available to be played back at high speed
-an overall feeling of the school supporting students to become independent, creative, scientists instead of the more parochial vibe I got at other schools.
- you get patient encounters starting at the very first week of class
as much as I love Western...but if u didnt know arrowhead is going to leave western for the new UCRiverside med school i dont know when it will happen or if itll happen now that there were funding problems with UCR but thats what I was told by my dad whos a clinical professor at Western...

Last edited:
as much as I love Western...but if u didnt know arrowhead is going to leave western for the new UCRiverside med school i dont know when it will happen or if itll happen now that there were funding problems with UCR but thats what I was told by my dad whos a clinical professor at Western...

i haven't heard this rumor, but even if it made sense and it were true, this change wouldn't occur during my or your tenure at Western since UC Riverside has no funding like you said. That being said, even if UC Riverside magically appeared today with full funding, I don't see why Arrowhead wouldn't just host students from both campuses as is the case at many hospitals in the LA area since this is a revenue source for the hospital. And it's not like all the DO's that run the place will suddenly say "hey lets stop giving those Western DO's rotations and residencies". Basically I'm saying this rumor doesn't make logical (or financial) sense.

Who is your dad? :)

i haven't heard this rumor, but even if it made sense and it were true, this change wouldn't occur during my or your tenure at Western since UC Riverside has no funding like you said. That being said, even if UC Riverside magically appeared today with full funding, I don't see why Arrowhead wouldn't just host students from both campuses as is the case at many hospitals in the LA area since this is a revenue source for the hospital. And it's not like all the DO's that run the place will suddenly say "hey lets stop giving those Western DO's rotations and residencies". Basically I'm saying this rumor doesn't make logical (or financial) sense.

Who is your dad? :)
haha secrets secrets...i will tell u he doesnt do any of ur core rotations and u could probably go all 4 years and never meet him which is a tragedy cuz he loves letting students go home early