Wisconsin c/o 2020 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So do we know for sure if everyone (accepted, denied, waitlisted) are all getting letters then?
If you are an out of state student and you get accepted you most likely get a phone call this week. If you are denied or waitlisted you will find out next week in the mail...if you are an in-state student you find out everything by mail.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just wanted to pop in since I know this is about the time people start getting acceptance notifications and say good luck to you all! Current third year, so feel free to message if you end up having questions about UW. :)

Reactions: 5 users
I just got a call from a random number while sitting in class...Illinois area code :( this wait is killing me!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey In-staters, just called the Admissions office and letters will be going out within 2 weeks. At first she said 1 week but then it sounded like to be safe she corrected and said 2. With that said, they all go out on the same day. This probably isnt much different info than we already know but provides a bit of clarity & confirmation.

just missed a call with no caller ID, i wonder if its ever a blocked number or always a 608 area code haha

Hey In-staters, just called the Admissions office and letters will be going out within 2 weeks. At first she said 1 week but then it sounded like to be safe she corrected and said 2. With that said, they all go out on the same day. This probably isnt much different info than we already know but provides a bit of clarity & confirmation.
If that's true than here's to another week filled with anxiety.

Thank you for checking! This waiting is driving me insane.

Has anybody called up to find out when OS will start to hear?

I hope they call this week. I give you all so much credit for this. My wife wants to get in so bad and I am checking the forums constantly for her cause the anticipation is killing her. But with our husky passing last night a call from Wisconsin would be some help right about now. Wish you all the best of luck too!

Well, I emailed this weekend to make sure they had the correct address for me since I was only pretty sure (90% +) that I had updated my address to the new house when filling out the supplemental.

I was emailed this morning saying thanks and just verifying where they should send my "admissions status letter."

My take away:
- They haven't mailed out of state yet.
- "Admissions status letter" sounds like bad news.
- They are right on top of things.

I'm a little surprised they haven't made decisions yet because last year calls started 2/16 and both last cycle's application and supplemental were due later than ours were. I was really hoping that would make things happen earlier, but I guess I'm just an anxious hopeful thinker!

Reactions: 4 users
It's not just you. I was confident they would start making calls on Monday based off last years class. Hopefully, we'll start hearing back early next week.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Just to provide some clarity, as a current first year:

Everyone gets a letter, no matter what. You may get a phone call as well if a faculty member who really liked your app wants to contact you personally. Do realize that these individuals are faculty members who may be working in the clinics, teaching classes, or both, so phone calls do not all come on the same day nor even necessarily in the same week. So try not to stress too much. :) When I was in your shoes, I thought these were people who were just admissions counselors only, but it doesn't work like that here.

Also, we rarely have days off, so most of us were hardly aware it was Presidents' Day, LOL.

Also, I haven't heard talk of it this year but I'm assuming it will be as it was last year - be prepared, if you get accepted, for an Open House for invited applicants in early March. They give rather short notice, so I'm warning you ahead of time. It is nice, low key, and really valuable to go if you can! I met the faculty member who called me with my acceptance there, so that was a very nice experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just called the admission office and they said no one will be getting phone calls. I was told they mail in state and out of state letters regarding admssions at the same time and they are expecting to have the letters sent out this week or next.

Last edited:
Quick question for you guys, does anyone know how big the class sizes are at UW, and the IS/OOS splits?

Second, does anyone find it odd that they eschew personal interviews?

I feel like I have no idea what to expect with UW because I've had so little contact with them. At least having interviews at MN/IL gave me a better sense of the program and what they're all about.

No calls? So I have to watch my mail? Sad day... I suck at getting the mail.

That does make me feel better about the letter thing though...ugh, I'm just done waiting. Oh, well!

Quick question for you guys, does anyone know how big the class sizes are at UW, and the IS/OOS splits?

Second, does anyone find it odd that they eschew personal interviews?

I feel like I have no idea what to expect with UW because I've had so little contact with them. At least having interviews at MN/IL gave me a better sense of the program and what they're all about.

For our class at least, there were 60 IS and 27 OOS accepted.
Many schools, including CSU and Cornell, do not perform interviews. I think a big thing for these schools is they don't consider interviews to be particularly helpful in their decision-making (though I've only heard this from CSU admissions in person so not sure about the reasonings for UW) in the long run.

No calls? So I have to watch my mail? Sad day... I suck at getting the mail.

That does make me feel better about the letter thing though...ugh, I'm just done waiting. Oh, well!

I sure hope not... I have all my mail routed to my home address and not my university address so I wouldn't find out for awhile even after it arrived!

Maybe they just meant that the admissions office won't be calling applicants, but like GrizzlyMaya said, perhaps those who are accepted will get calls from other faculty members? I'm just trying to stay optimistic xD haha. But.....im honestly just praying for a reasonable spot on the waitlist at UW haha, because that's the best outcome I think is possible based on my stats

Same here. I really appreciate the fact that they actually rank us on the waitlist.

Reactions: 2 users
I hope they call this week. I give you all so much credit for this. My wife wants to get in so bad and I am checking the forums constantly for her cause the anticipation is killing her. But with our husky passing last night a call from Wisconsin would be some help right about now. Wish you all the best of luck too!

It is nice to see another person in this situation on here! My boyfriend applied only to WI (BeamingLight) and I am just as anxious to hear! I'm refreshing this thread so frequently that SDN pops up on my homepage now. I'm so sorry about your doggie :(.

Last edited:
I was looking at statistics on the UW Vet School website, and last year there were 141 instate female applicants and 853 out of state female applicants. Of those, 60 were accepted. Does anyone know what percentage of the instate female applicants, generally, make up that 60?

Just got a phone call!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OOS!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!!

Reactions: 16 users
Just got a phone call as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Accepted OOS!!!!!!!

Reactions: 13 users
For people getting calls anyone know if it's alaphabaticl? I wonder how late they will call. Looks like people are getting calls after 6pm

Just got the call!! OOS, last name begins with 'L'

Reactions: 8 users
Glad people are getting calls, hopefully this means the letters will be going out sooner rather than later :)

Does anyone know if they call all OOS?

How late do we think they'll call? Aka what time should I stop staring at my phone and try to remember how to breathe?

How late do we think they'll call? Aka what time should I stop staring at my phone and try to remember how to breathe?

Last year they called OOS applicants over 3 days, September 16th-19th. They did not call alphabetically last year either.

Maybe they just meant that the admissions office won't be calling applicants, but like GrizzlyMaya said, perhaps those who are accepted will get calls from other faculty members? I'm just trying to stay optimistic xD haha. But.....im honestly just praying for a reasonable spot on the waitlist at UW haha, because that's the best outcome I think is possible based on my stats
Haha same here!!!!

I wonder from previous years if every accepted person OOS got a call, or did some not and still got an accepted letter? Like if we don't get a call over the next few days is it a for sure waitlist/rejection we should expect coming in the mail?

Just got a phone call!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OOS!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!!
Congrats!
So much for the no phone calls this year theory...guess I better plug this bad boy back in the charger

I wonder from previous years if every accepted person OOS got a call, or did some not and still got an accepted letter? Like if we don't get a call over the next few days is it a for sure waitlist/rejection we should expect coming in the mail?
Someone posted a nice note earlier in the thread to not obsess & keep your head up on the phone call thing. That sometimes you don't get a call and still get accepted :)

Congratulations to everyone accepted so far!! Choose Wisconsin ;)

To all those asking about phone call specifics, I do have a couple of posts a just a little earlier in the thread explaining what I know about this, having received a phone call last year and having gotten to know the faculty member since then. :) (Thanks last_rnd!)

Good luck!!

So is it safe to assume that they have mailed out letters if they are starting to call people?

So is it safe to assume that they have mailed out letters if they are starting to call people?
I called them yesterday because I have an offer that I need to make a decision on by next week (matriculates in the summer so they don't have to go by the April 15th rule)...they told me they were planning on sending letters out (all offers, wait lists and rejections for both IS and OOS) this coming Monday.

Just got the phone call! Accepted OOS!!! :clap:

Reactions: 13 users
I called them yesterday because I have an offer that I need to make a decision on by next week (matriculates in the summer so they don't have to go by the April 15th rule)...they told me they were planning on sending letters out (all offers, wait lists and rejections for both IS and OOS) this coming Monday.

Thanks for finding that out, now I can stop worrying about the mail till Tuesday.

Reactions: 3 users
Man I am so hoping my wife gets a call here soon I'm feeling really bad for her. This was her number one school and after this one she's only got an NC State left. I really don't know how you guys do this at all because this is just rough. I almost feel like this isn't fair to people that want to be veterinarians like they just don't take in a lot of people and there's barely any schools. I wish everyone the best of luck because I see what my wife's going through right now and I know how many of you guys are going through the same thing .

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted!! Hopefully everyone else hears soon :) (last name F)

Reactions: 6 users
Anybody else trying to use super powers such as telepathy to make their phone ring?

Man I am so hoping my wife gets a call here soon I'm feeling really bad for her. This was her number one school and after this one she's only got an NC State left. I really don't know how you guys do this at all because this is just rough. I almost feel like this isn't fair to people that want to be veterinarians like they just don't take in a lot of people and there's barely any schools. I wish everyone the best of luck because I see what my wife's going through right now and I know how many of you guys are going through the same thing .
The process stinks. It's a pain you can't really know unless you've done it so it's very hard on the people around you as well. Kudos for you being supportive & stalking the forums for her because I think there is nothing more painful than watching everyone celebrate while you wait for a call that doesn't come. Been there, done that. No matter what happens I think there's a bit of luck involved & it's not a reflection of her as a person. If it doesn't work out take some time to grieve & try again. I know of stories of people applying 5,6,7 times! Before they got in. Took me 4

The process stinks. It's a pain you can't really know unless you've done it so it's very hard on the people around you as well. Kudos for you being supportive & stalking the forums for her because I think there is nothing more painful than watching everyone celebrate while you wait for a call that doesn't come. Been there, done that. No matter what happens I think there's a bit of luck involved & it's not a reflection of her as a person. If it doesn't work out take some time to grieve & try again. I know of stories of people applying 5,6,7 times! Before they got in. Took me 4

Thank you, yea this is her second time. Fingers still crossed though.